May 15 - How a Genetic Trait in Black People Can Give the Police Cover

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
42 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '20        #1
1730 page views
29 comments

itsthekid123  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5312 5 K  Slaps total: 666 666
May 15 - How a Genetic Trait in Black People Can Give the Police Cover

Source: visit this link https://www.nytimes.com/2 .. ll-police.html

Read until the end!

Sickle cell trait has been cited in dozens of police custody deaths ruled accidental or natural, even though the condition is benign on its own, a Times investigation found.

When they carried the body of a 32-year-old Black man named Lamont Perry out of the woods in Wadesboro, N.C., there were no protests over his sudden death in police custody.

No reporters camped at the scene. No lawyers filed suit.

Instead, the final mark in the ledger of Mr. Perry’s life was made by a state medical examiner who attributed his death in large part to sickle cell trait, a genetic characteristic that overwhelmingly occurs in Black people. The official word was that he had died by accident.

But the examiner’s determination belied certain facts about that night in October 2016, public records and interviews show. Accused of violating probation in a misdemeanor a*sault case, Mr. Perry was chased by parole and local police officers through the dark into a stand of trees, where only they could witness what happened next.

He had swelling of the brain, and a forensic investigator reported that he had an open fracture of his right leg. He was covered in dirt, and residents of a nearby housing complex told his family that when the officers emerged from the woods, their shoes and the bottoms of their pants were spattered in blood.

As recently as August, lawyers for Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer convicted last month of murdering George Floyd, invoked sickle cell trait in an unsuccessful motion to dismiss the case against him, saying that the condition, along with other health problems and drug use, was the reason Mr. Floyd had died.

The New York Times has found at least 46 other instances over the past 25 years in which medical examiners, law enforcement officials or defenders of accused officers pointed to the trait as a cause or major factor in deaths of Black people in custody. Fifteen such deaths have occurred since 2015.

In roughly two-thirds of the cases, the person who died had been forcefully restrained by the authorities, pepper-sprayed or shocked with stun guns. Scattered across 22 states and Puerto Rico, in big cities and small towns, the determinations on sickle cell trait often created enough doubt for officers to avert criminal or civil penalties, The Times found.

K.C. Cage-Singleton, a 30-year-old landscaper and father of four, was walking in Baton Rouge, La., in October 2009 when two officers approached him because they thought his clothing resembled that of an armed robbery suspect. Records show they chased him into an apartment complex, shocked him with a stun gun and beat him with a baton. The coroner cataloged a slew of injuries, including abrasions, lacerations and broken teeth, but said the manner and cause of his death were “undetermined,” citing “probable” sickle cell trait. The officers were not charged.

Army Sgt. James Brown, 26, had completed two tours in Iraq and was struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder in July 2012 when he turned himself in to the El Paso jail to serve a two-day sentence for drunken driving. The authorities said he became violent, and he died after five jailers in riot gear piled atop him, pulled a mesh mask over his head and bound him in a chair. The medical examiner ruled that he had died a natural death caused by sickle cell crisis, and a grand jury declined to bring charges.

Gamel Brown, a 30-year-old property maintenance supervisor, cut his hand on a broken mirror at his home in a Baltimore suburb in January last year, prompting a call to 911. The police who responded said he became “extremely combative,” and they jolted him several times with a stun gun. After he died at a hospital, the medical examiner said that the manner of his death was undetermined — and that it was caused in part by sickle cell trait. The state’s attorney filed no charges.

In three cases, deaths linked to sickle cell trait that were deemed natural or of indeterminate cause were later ruled homicides — as occurred when Martin Lee Anderson, 14, died at the hands of his jailers at a northwest Florida juvenile detention camp in January 2006.

An autopsy deemed Martin’s death to be natural, saying the trait was why he had suddenly stopped breathing in January 2006. But a later inquiry found that he had died after drill instructors at a Bay County, Fla., juvenile detention center punched and kneed him, pinned him down, pressed their fingers into pressure points and covered his mouth while forcing him to inhale ammonia.

Seven guards and a nurse were charged with manslaughter. All were acquitted, but the state agreed to settle a lawsuit brought by the family for $5 million.

The case of Derek Williams, who died in Milwaukee in July 2011, offered another cautionary tale.

The police saw Mr. Williams, 22, on a street corner and arrested him on suspicion of robbery after chasing him into the yard of a nearby home. He stopped breathing in the back seat of a patrol car. The police told the county medical examiner that he had been taken into custody “without incident,” and the medical examiner, based solely on that account, ruled that he had died a natural death caused by sickle cell crisis.

After being confronted with information reported by The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which showed, among other things, that officers had piled onto Mr. Williams during his cuffing and did not immediately respond to his pleas as he gasped for air, the county reversed itself and declared his death a homicide. Still, none of the officers were charged. Mr. Williams’s family settled a lawsuit against the city for $2 million.

fu*k KKKOPS
+17   

best
worst
29 comments

1 month ago '10        #2
acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19028 19 K  Slaps total: 3457 3 K
Goddamn it’s fu*ked up because sickle cell trait will only k*ll you if you’re in a higher climate these cops ain’t sh*t
+14   

1 month ago '16        #3
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 100382 100 K  Slaps total: 18958 18 K
police is codeword for genocide
+22   

1 month ago '20        #4
confidential1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 49016 49 K  Slaps total: 2570 2 K
These cops need to get hit with a RICO charge.... too bad Johnny Cochran ain’t available...
+20   

1 month ago '20        #5
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32724 32 K  Slaps total: 6403 6 K
Wyte america sticks together op to set the narrative , the agenda is real all those government employees are complicit in the lie to protect their own . We have Kim Gardner who's trying to reform law enforcement & the whole city is trying to take away her law license

Last edited by Xiox; 05-15-2021 at 07:49 PM..
+14   

1 month ago '21        #6
Justin Igore 
Props total: 2510 2 K  Slaps total: 529 529
 acegutta22 said
Goddamn it’s fu*ked up because sickle cell trait will only k*ll you if you’re in a higher climate these cops ain’t sh*t
A sudden temperature change can k*ll you too but yea this some bullsh*t.
+5   

1 month ago '18        #7
J0e Bl0w 
Props total: 6127 6 K  Slaps total: 1907 1 K
Let's see if they can recieve cover from this sh*t!!

+4   

1 month ago '08        #8
Solitary Genius 
Props total: 13342 13 K  Slaps total: 2682 2 K
I hate to be the one to say this because it's still fu*k the cops...

But if the causes of black death were the source of our attention, police wouldn't be our top 10 concerns.

I understand the grotesqueness of it is what drives all the attention but we should be looking at the main drivers of black death and focusing on that

1 month ago '12        #9
13th East 
Props total: 5693 5 K  Slaps total: 1528 1 K
 Solitary Genius said

But if the causes of black death were the source of our attention, police wouldn't be our top 10 concerns.

I understand the grotesqueness of it is what drives all the attention but we should be looking at the main drivers of black death and focusing on that
Wtf does the main causes of “black death” have to do with the people that our tax dollars pay for being allowed to k*ll us with impunity?

U cowardly sambo n*ggas is somethin else man smh
+7   

1 month ago '16        #10
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 33791 33 K  Slaps total: 3766 3 K
^

I knew that sh*t was gonna happen

Mans asking a simple question & here go the rah rah about “u cowardly sambo”

n*gga aint even read the article, @ is basically getting at what this article is talking about.

The police are using our health, against us

Last edited by Blunted Sultan; 05-16-2021 at 08:53 AM..
+1   

1 month ago '21        #11
Jonny2soxs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 7204 7 K  Slaps total: 1692 1 K
Are we gonna protest lil Reece getting shot or nah

1 month ago '05        #12
Sizzler01  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 8951 8 K  Slaps total: 2450 2 K
 Jonny2soxs said
Are we gonna protest lil Reece getting shot or nah
what is there to protest? what was he doing to get shot?
+1   

1 month ago '21        #13
Jonny2soxs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 7204 7 K  Slaps total: 1692 1 K
 Sizzler01 said
what is there to protest? what was he doing to get shot?

1 month ago '16        #14
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 68117 68 K  Slaps total: 4126 4 K
 Solitary Genius said

1 month ago '17        #15
Petieparker 
Props total: 19454 19 K  Slaps total: 1799 1 K
Nothing surprises me when it comes to the foot soldiers of White supremacy.

On another note it’s funny how negros go out their way to deny that we’re Africans but the fact that we carry the sickle cell trait more so than any other ethnic group in this country should be reason # 28095 why that theory of us being the real Native Americans or Hebrews or blah blah is bullsh*t. Africa is the main birthplace of the sickle cell mutation but n*ggas stay denying science.
+2   

1 month ago '12        #16
13th East 
 Blunted Sultan said
^

I knew that sh*t was gonna happen

Mans asking a simple question & here go the rah rah about “u cowardly sambo”

n*gga aint even read the article, @ is basically getting at what this article is talking about.

The police are using our health, against us
Are u drunk stupid n*gga? The police use our skin color against us period, no one gives a fu*k about this specific lame excuse, its just another one in a long line of them clown

1 month ago '11        #17
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30
Props total: 154335 154 K  Slaps total: 21656 21 K
 Solitary Genius said

who do we turn to for help if we can't trust the police not to k*ll us and justify it as genetics?

article mentions a man who was k*lled after police were called to help him with a cut hand and justified because of a dormant genetic trait

why should I as a Black man ever call the police?
+2   

1 month ago '08        #18
Solitary Genius 
 13th East said
Wtf does the main causes of “black death” have to do with the people that our tax dollars pay for being allowed to k*ll us with impunity?

U cowardly sambo n*ggas is somethin else man smh
I'm the last n*gga in here you can call a sambo... and you clearly don't understand wtf I said...

I said cop k*llings take up to much of our fu*kin mind share, when we need to be focused on our fu*kin economics, our fu*kin schools, our community, our food etc.

All sh*t that has more impact on our community than cop k*llings....

1 month ago '08        #19
Solitary Genius 
 Sin said
who do we turn to for help if we can't trust the police not to k*ll us and justify it as genetics?

article mentions a man who was k*lled after police were called to help him with a cut hand and justified because of a dormant genetic trait

why should I as a Black man ever call the police?
fu*k the police n*gga, yall missin what the fu*k I'm talkin about...

Self sustainability, accountability, responsibility...

Or yall can just sit there and keep crying for the white man to please treat you nice
+3   

1 month ago '11        #20
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30
Props total: 154335 154 K  Slaps total: 21656 21 K
 Solitary Genius said
fu*k the police n*gga, yall missin what the fu*k I'm talkin about...

Self sustainability, accountability, responsibility...

Or yall can just sit there and keep crying for the white man to please treat you nice
I propped because I understand, police are an issue, but I rank education, health and poverty way before police when it comes to issues in the Black community
+3   

1 month ago '16        #21
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 33791 33 K  Slaps total: 3766 3 K
 13th East said
Are u drunk stupid n*gga? The police use our skin color against us period, no one gives a fu*k about this specific lame excuse, its just another one in a long line of them clown
What an idiot im ashamed you a*sociate yourself with the # 13
+1   

1 month ago '20        #22
WhiteCrimeNews 
Props total: 353 353  Slaps total: 538 538
 Solitary Genius said
I'm the last n*gga in here you can call a sambo... and you clearly don't understand wtf I said...

I said cop k*llings take up to much of our fu*kin mind share, when we need to be focused on our fu*kin economics, our fu*kin schools, our community, our food etc.

Focus on that stuff after separation. None of that sh*t matters as long "we're" still intertwined with White America. Trying to build a kingdom in the land occupied by the greatest enemy your race has and will ever know is not the move and it WILL FAIL. You really thought you were onto something with your simple a*s cliche' thought.

The fact that you aren't advocating for complete separation from white america let's me know that you're at least 15 to 20 % ****. Separation is the ONLY pathway to our retribution.

1 month ago '08        #23
Solitary Genius 
 WhiteCrimeNews said
Focus on that stuff after separation. None of that sh*t matters as long "we're" still intertwined with White America. Trying to build a kingdom in the land occupied by the greatest enemy your race has and will ever know is not the move and it WILL FAIL. You really thought you were onto something with your simple a*s cliche' thought.

The fact that you aren't advocating for complete separation from white america let's me know that you're at least 15 to 20 % ****. Separation is the ONLY pathway to our retribution.
You're a fu*kin idiot and at a mental stage I probably reached at age 16.

This world is globalized, Europe and U.S. have their political stamp and military ops all over the globe.

There is no "separation". This today is a white man's world, simple fact.

So fu*k separating, no other community had to separate to hold their own accountable, disciplined and improve as a community.

All I'm saying is if the chips are stacked against us? What the fu*k we gon do?

I been around the block and then some, circling through what the right answer is.

And the right answer is reality, who the fu*k is gonna treat us better than we treat ourselves? NOBODY...

And it ain't no way around that. So it seems fitting that we get that in order. All the homicides, ignorant culture, lack of respect between our women and men, selfishness every man for himself attitude. All that bullsh*t we need to clean up.

Dgaf if yall mad at me for saying it it is what it is

Last edited by Solitary Genius; 05-16-2021 at 11:22 AM..
+3   

1 month ago '12        #24
13th East 
 Solitary Genius said

No youre not, and its not your place to tell black people what they should be focused on smh.

Our main focus should be eliminating the entire system of white supremacy, and the enforcement arm is as good of a place as any to start
+2   

1 month ago '12        #25
13th East 
 Blunted Sultan said
What an idiot im ashamed you a*sociate yourself with the # 13
n*gga I am the number 13 as far as youre concerned clown

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  14
Video inside No-Go Zones - World’s Toughest Places | Seven Mile Road, Detroit, USA |..
49 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+140online now  12
Video inside If Juice was made by Pixar
92 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+123online now  11
Jun 18 - All employees quit family dollar in Pittsburgh and leave sign on the ..
94 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  6
Jun 19 - Mother shot dead in front of her 2 kids in Rochester, NY
74 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy