Pressure washing your vehicle at home...

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+36  49
72 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section rides

1 month ago '06        #1
3418 page views
59 comments

~SHYNE~ 
Props total: 3220 3 K  Slaps total: 484 484
Pressure washing your vehicle at home...

After watching quite a few review videos on cheap or budget pressure washers, decided to order a Harbor Freight Portland model for $104 shipped from HF.

Ordered off Amazon some chemical guys soaps and a claybar kit for the Z last night(love Amazon Prime) ,a foam sprayer with 1/4 quick disconnect, a new nozzle orifice (1.1m) and an off brand 1/4 quick disco wand.The HF Portland model does not come with quick 1/4 disconnects.My sprayer and ckeaning bottle came today, washer and wand will be here later this week.

By the way, claybarred the Civic Saturday, came out look like glass after 3 hours of work.Will get the Z done this weekend, paint could use some love.

Anyone else use their pressure washer to foam the car before actually washing?Any tips, watched a lot of vids but definitely open to any tips or advice?

This is a budget friendly set up, everything was under 300 total.I know there are a ton of folks on here with expensive cars ,nice cheap investment on the longevity of your paint.

Last edited by ~SHYNE~; 05-10-2021 at 06:18 PM..
+27   

best
worst
59 comments

1 month ago '04        #2
The_Most_H8ed 
Props total: 2520 2 K  Slaps total: 119 119
You seem like you are already ahead of the game as far as car care goes man...you probably won't need that pressure washer but once of twice a year. I try to clay my daily 1-2 times per year, hand wax 4 times/year and wash weekly. I only use the power washer with road salt and pollen
+10   

1 month ago '06        #3
~SHYNE~  OP
 The_Most_H8ed said
You seem like you are already ahead of the game as far as car care goes man...you probably won't need that pressure washer but once of twice a year. I try to clay my daily 1-2 times per year, hand wax 4 times/year and wash weekly. I only use the power washer with road salt and pollen
I am learning as I go, good info and nice to hear your take such good care of your daily's paint.

I will probably use it a bit more to keep my sidewalk tidy and clean up the garage floor with some solution.

Mind me asking what model/brand you have and how you like it?Any issues?
+4   

1 month ago '15        #4
TrillTalk520  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34882 34 K  Slaps total: 2431 2 K
 ~SHYNE~ said
After watching quite a few review videos on cheap or budget pressure washers, decided to order a Harbor Freight Portland model for $104 shipped from HF.

Ordered off Amazon some chemical guys soaps and a claybar kit for the Z last night(love Amazon Prime) ,a foam sprayer with 1/4 quick disconnect, a new nozzle orifice (1.1m) and an off brand 1/4 quick disco wand.The HF Portland model does not come with quick 1/4 disconnects.My sprayer and ckeaning bottle came today, washer and wand will be here later this week.

By the way, claybarred the Civic Saturday, came out look like glass after 3 hours of work.Will get the Z done this weekend, paint could use some love.

Anyone else use their pressure washer to foam the car before actually washing?Any tips, watched a lot of vids but definitely open to any tips or advice?

This is a budget friendly set up, everything was under 300 total.I know there are a ton of folks on here with expensive cars ,nice cheap investment on the longevity of your paint.

Get you some degreaser and dilute it (2/3 water to a 1/3 of degreaser) and a nice scrubber for your tires. Try not to get any on the rims, wont damage unless you let it sit and soak. I also use an old washing mitt for the rims

Degreaser works great on the engine as well but i recommend leaving the car running if you're gonna pressure wash and clean it, try n avoid the battery of course

Invest in a air compressor and get a lil air gun to connect to it. Works wonders blowing out all the water from crevices under the windows, the rearview mirrors. Keeps the car from streaking as soon as you drive off.

If you ever get tar on your whip, gasoline and some elbow grease (gloves and a towel recommended) works wonders
+7   

1 month ago '21        #5
LuxG2 
Props total: 8808 8 K  Slaps total: 1477 1 K

+4   

1 month ago '06        #6
mrep3 
Props total: 19873 19 K  Slaps total: 2326 2 K
I ran through 3 cheaper electric pressure washers in like 4 years until I finally took the last one back and got a 2800 psi gas one, bot did that make a difference invest in a good DA polisher next.
+7   

1 month ago '04        #7
The_Most_H8ed 
Props total: 2520 2 K  Slaps total: 119 119
 ~SHYNE~ said
I am learning as I go, good info and nice to hear your take such good care of your daily's paint.

I will probably use it a bit more to keep my sidewalk tidy and clean up the garage floor with some solution.

Mind me asking what model/brand you have and how you like it?Any issues?
I have a gas powered Honda pressure washer. 3300 psi. No issues at all same motor in my lawn mower and pressure washer
+4   

1 month ago '18        #8
Losantana16x3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 20219 20 K  Slaps total: 3216 3 K
Wish I wasn't so lazy. My day 1 owns a premium hand wash but im still addicted to the $25/month "look your best" from the ultra wash. And I get 2 pass through each visit

bi*ch won't fit

Last edited by Losantana16x3; 05-11-2021 at 04:33 AM..
+15   

1 month ago '06        #9
~SHYNE~  OP
 The_Most_H8ed said
I have a gas powered Honda pressure washer. 3300 psi. No issues at all same motor in my lawn mower and pressure washer
Very nice...
+2   

1 month ago '06        #10
~SHYNE~  OP
 mrep3 said
I ran through 3 cheaper electric pressure washers in like 4 years until I finally took the last one back and got a 2800 psi gas one, bot did that make a difference invest in a good DA polisher next.
Some folks have had this model for a few years no issues.We will see how long this one last , may have to like you step up eventually.

Will look into polisher as well...thanks.
+1   

1 month ago '06        #11
~SHYNE~  OP
 TrillTalk520 said
Get you some degreaser and dilute it (2/3 water to a 1/3 of degreaser) and a nice scrubber for your tires. Try not to get any on the rims, wont damage unless you let it sit and soak. I also use an old washing mitt for the rims

Degreaser works great on the engine as well but i recommend leaving the car running if you're gonna pressure wash and clean it, try n avoid the battery of course

Invest in a air compressor and get a lil air gun to connect to it. Works wonders blowing out all the water from crevices under the windows, the rearview mirrors. Keeps the car from streaking as soon as you drive off.

If you ever get tar on your whip, gasoline and some elbow grease (gloves and a towel recommended) works wonders
Yeah, air compressor is coming very soon.Got some stuff called Tarminator that I got in the garage for tar issues Thanks.
+1   

1 month ago '06        #12
mrep3 
Props total: 19873 19 K  Slaps total: 2326 2 K
 ~SHYNE~ said
Some folks have had this model for a few years no issues.We will see how long this one last , may have to like you step up eventually.

Will look into polisher as well...thanks.
Fill your foam cannon with piping hot water it activates the soap so you get more suds...
Once you use a pressure washer itís hard to go back to regular hose and bucket. I only go to the car wash when itís cold
+5   

1 month ago '06        #13
~SHYNE~  OP
 mrep3 said
Fill your foam cannon with piping hot water it activates the soap so you get more suds...
Once you use a pressure washer itís hard to go back to regular hose and bucket. I only go to the car wash when itís cold
Thanks for the tips!!
+1   

1 month ago '15        #14
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 56979 56 K  Slaps total: 7469 7 K

I bought this power washer for $89 in store

Gonna power wash my house then start using on the car

OP can you post your car wash soaps etc
+2   

1 month ago '15        #15
TrillTalk520  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34882 34 K  Slaps total: 2431 2 K
 ~SHYNE~ said
Yeah, air compressor is coming very soon.Got some stuff called Tarminator that I got in the garage for tar issues Thanks.
I worked at a detail shop for a few years so i gta couple lil tricks.

We'd use a spray gun and fill it up with tire shine and maaaaan i hated doing those big a*s 4x4 truck wheels but id have them bi*ches glossy, never stained the rims either. I really loved that work bt it paid like sh*t
+2   

1 month ago '06        #16
~SHYNE~  OP
 isthistobe said

I bought this power washer for $89 in store

Gonna power wash my house then start using on the car

OP can you post your car wash soaps etc
Yeah that's what mine cost before shipping and tax.Nice pick up.I was considering the Sun Joe but had read a few folks had leaky connection on the connection from the water hose after a few uses.

I usually used Meguairs wash soap, but picked up Chemical Guys Mr Pink and Mr Gold.Same soap, just pink is candy scented and gold js Pina Colada scented.Got them in a two soap bundle on Amazon,was like $12 dollars.

Last edited by ~SHYNE~; 05-11-2021 at 08:03 AM..
+1   

1 month ago '05        #17
Woodwin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7372 7 K  Slaps total: 690 690
I use 2 bucket method for my car, I’ll power wash the rims tho. Power wash my girls car cause she doesn’t have vinyl stripes like I do. I got a craftsman power washer was like 300 but I use it for the house and my drive away as well. I use meguairs gold soap but I like the chemical guys too.

Cop some griots garage speed shine between washes sh*t will have that bi*ch pretty af in like 15 min, it also shines your rims up nicely
+3   

1 month ago '06        #18
~SHYNE~  OP
 Woodwin said
I use 2 bucket method for my car, Iíll power wash the rims tho. Power wash my girls car cause she doesnít have vinyl stripes like I do. I got a craftsman power washer was like 300 but I use it for the house and my drive away as well. I use meguairs gold soap but I like the chemical guys too.

Cop some griots garage speed shine between washes sh*t will have that bi*ch pretty af in like 15 min, it also shines your rims up nicely
I use the two bucket method as well with a long handle and microfiber head.Works well.Will check out that Griots.
+1   

1 month ago '10        #19
Chiyosuke 
Props total: 10285 10 K  Slaps total: 517 517
I have a soft wash for this. Applying too much pressure will strip the pain off yo shyt if you're uninitiated. It's definitely a quicker and hassle free way to wash your car though

1 month ago '15        #20
The South 
Props total: 27837 27 K  Slaps total: 3532 3 K
I love those foam cannon YT videos.

Some good info in the thread.

Adam’s Polishes got some good products too. But it just seems like you can go with pretty much whatever chemical company you like and they all got decent products. Griots, Chemical Guys, Meguires, Adams.

I live in an apartment so my focus right now is getting my interior package built up. Kind of just used an interior cleaner and a microfiber.. but seeing pros do it.. I use too little products and need some brushes.

Then the wheel package.. them mfs got like three brushes, two different types of products and then you can still wax polish and seal them sh*ts...

Great hobby though. Feels good when you out there paint looking wet, weather good, got the beverage and the piff.. shiiiiiiiiiiiid, got me a little afternoon planned now.

Last edited by The South; 05-11-2021 at 09:24 AM..
+3   

1 month ago '19        #21
jlem 
Props total: 7048 7 K  Slaps total: 169 169
Very nice. I haven't purchased a power washer yet. I hand wash and wax for the most part. It takes longer but it's therapeutic for me.

I do have a couple of places I hit up when I need a quick touch up wash though.

I use Meguiars for my leather interior care. Sprayway glass cleaner for windows/mirrors and Griots spray detailer for the finishing touch on the exterior. I use an aerosol spray called Black for the tires.

All in all I got excellent results. Gotta put in the work though.

+3   

1 month ago '19        #22
jlem 

+12   

1 month ago '21        #23
Mr Wendal  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 3543 3 K  Slaps total: 1481 1 K
Save your time hire some young and hungry cat to do it for you

1 month ago '15        #24
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 56979 56 K  Slaps total: 7469 7 K
 ~SHYNE~ said
Yeah that's what mine cost before shipping and tax.Nice pick up.I was considering the Sun Joe but had read a few folks had leaky connection on the connection from the water hose after a few uses.

I usually used Meguairs wash soap, but picked up Chemical Guys Mr Pink and Mr Gold.Same soap, just pink is candy scented and gold js Pina Colada scented.Got them in a two soap bundle on Amazon,was like $12 dollars.
You got a link

I finally got a garage so Iím tryna bring my sh*t back to life

1 month ago '19        #25
jlem 
 Mr Wendal said
Save your time hire some young and hungry cat to do it for you
That's the thing when it comes to taking care of your car. Nobody's gonna do it better than you are. Unless you're taking it for a full detail with paint correction and stuff like that.

I hated taking my cars to get washed and the job turned out being sub par. A lot of these car wash spot are really just drives throughs with folks drying and vacuuming your car at the end.

My sh*t would be all streaky.
+8   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+398online now  26
Hell Yeah!!! After 3 Long Years Ya Boy Is A Gracie jiu jitsu Black Belt.
645 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  25
Why can't these Chicago rappers let Tooka rest?
71 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  11
Image(s) inside actors you thought would have blown up
147 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+69online now  7
Chief Keef Goes Crazy On Young Buck's Classic Song Stomp