May 8 - cyber attack shuts down fueling pipeline for 45% of the east coast

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+21  92
54 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '11        #1
872 page views
22 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30
Props total: 154274 154 K  Slaps total: 21651 21 K
May 8 - cyber attack shuts down fueling pipeline for 45% of the east coast

KEY POINTS
-The malicious software used in a cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline was ransomware, according to sources.
-Colonial’s network supplies fuel from U.S refiners on the Gulf Coast to the populous eastern and southern United States.
-The company transports 2.5 million barrels per day of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other refined products through 5,500 miles (8,850 km) of pipelines.
Colonial Pipeline says it transports 45% of East Coast fuel supply.

Top U.S. fuel pipeline operator Colonial Pipeline has shut its entire network after a cyber attack, the company said in a statement on Friday.

Colonial’s network supplies fuel from U.S refiners on the Gulf Coast to the populous eastern and southern United States. The company transports 2.5 million barrels per day of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other refined products through 5,500 miles (8,850 km) of pipelines.

Colonial Pipeline says it transports 45% of East Coast fuel supply.

The malicious software used in a cyberattack was ransomware, a type of malware that is designed to lock down systems by encrypting data and demanding payment to regain access, two cybersecurity industry sources said.

The malware has grown in popularity over the last five years and is most often deployed by cybercriminal groups.

The company learned of the attack on Friday and took systems offline to contain the threat, it said in the statement. That action has temporarily halted operations and affected some of its IT systems, it said.

The company has engaged a third-party cybersecurity firm to launch an investigation, and Colonial has contacted law enforcement and other federal agencies, it said.

Colonial did not give further details or say for how long its pipelines would be shut.

Reuters reported earlier on Friday that Colonial had shut its main gasoline and distillate lines.

During the trading session on Friday, Gulf Coast cash prices for gasoline and diesel edged lower.

Both gasoline and diesel futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange rose more than crude prices during the day. Gasoline futures gained 0.6% to settle at $2.1269 a gallon, while diesel futures rose 1.1% to settle at $2.0106 a gallon.

Longer-term price effects will depend on the amount of time that the lines are shut. If barrels are not able to make it onto the lines, Gulf Coast prices could weaken further, while prices in New York Harbor could rise, one market participant said.

Colonial significantly shut down its gasoline and distillate lines during Hurricane Harvey, which hit the Gulf Coast in 2017.

During that time, spot Gulf Coast gasoline prices rose to a five-year high, while diesel prices rose to around a four-year high.

visit this link https://www.cnbc.com/2021 .. berattack.html
+7   

best
worst
22 comments

1 month ago '17        #2
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 60854 60 K  Slaps total: 5925 5 K
+5   

1 month ago '11        #3
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 47567 47 K  Slaps total: 35443 35 K
everybody know who
+3   

1 month ago '11        #4
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30 OP
I just filled up for like $3.07 a gallon
+9   

1 month ago '20        #5
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32679 32 K  Slaps total: 6391 6 K
Let's discuss what country started all of these cyber attacks
+1   

1 month ago '11        #6
 Xiox said
Let's discuss what country started all of these cyber attacks
Israel?

1 month ago '20        #7
 Sin said
Israel?

I see you have a joke
+2   

1 month ago '20        #8
 Sin said
Filled up on friday for $3.80 some places are like $4.20
+3   

1 month ago '17        #9
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 89875 89 K  Slaps total: 3750 3 K
Gas finna be 7.23
+5   

1 month ago '11        #10
Suppafresh 
Props total: 5692 5 K  Slaps total: 628 628
 Sin said
man it feels fu*king amazing to be off of fossil fuels
+3   

1 month ago '11        #11
 Suppafresh said
man it feels fu*king amazing to be off of fossil fuels
If i had a place to charge i would buy one
+4   

1 month ago '16        #12
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 100323 100 K  Slaps total: 18934 18 K
Ransomware
Somebody opened the wrong email

1 month ago '04        #13
gh3tto 
Props total: 41492 41 K  Slaps total: 8360 8 K
 Sin said
premium is 4.50 here and nobody got spyware'd

+2   

1 month ago '20        #14
Seems like op is willing to spread some good ol propaganda to justify gas prices , please do better op

Last edited by Xiox; 05-09-2021 at 05:29 PM..
+1   

1 month ago '04        #15
gamespitter84 
Props total: 403 403  Slaps total: 84 84
Gas 2.50 gotta get these gas cans ready
+3   

1 month ago '07        #16
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51
Props total: 79942 79 K  Slaps total: 8457 8 K
remember when conservative christians told us mexicans were the greatest threat?

Hack Idles Pipeline for Third Day as Supply Concerns Mount

in case you don't know, the US started this kind of warfare

+3   

1 month ago '04        #17
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29468 29 K  Slaps total: 1422 1 K
 Xiox said
Seems like op is willing to spread some good ol propaganda to justify gas prices , please do better op

where did he post anything resembling propaganda? i just re-read his post it's literately just an article with facts only and says nothing about any state actor being behind it. it was even correct in saying it was a ransomware attack—meaning it was done by a hacking group looking for money. there's literately been a post on the dark web of the group apologizing and claiming one of their customers who purchased the program did it and they didn't realize it would be used geopolitically to do as much harm as it did

the infiltration was done most likely because of covid social distancing rules where people off site were logging into systems without proper protection or encryption on their home set-ups, making everything vulnerable.
+3   

1 month ago '20        #18

+3   

1 month ago '11        #19
 d.c. supreme said
where did he post anything resembling propaganda? i just re-read his post it's literately just an article with facts only and says nothing about any state actor being behind it. it was even correct in saying it was a ransomware attack—meaning it was done by a hacking group looking for money. there's literately been a post on the dark web of the group apologizing and claiming one of their customers who purchased the program did it and they didn't realize it would be used geopolitically to do as much harm as it did

the infiltration was done most likely because of covid social distancing rules where people off site were logging into systems without proper protection or encryption on their home set-ups, making everything vulnerable.
those are the nicest hackers ive ever heard of
+2   

1 month ago '04        #20
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29468 29 K  Slaps total: 1422 1 K
 Sin said
those are the nicest hackers ive ever heard of
the old anonymous guys used to tout honor and the like back in the day, guessing this is a similar deal.

meanwhile... things looking skressful up b y'all on the east coast. mad stations in VA and other states reporting out of gas but the "state of emergency" order has made it so tons of trucks are hauling gas from texas now. but that ain't gonna be enough to fill demand. plus there's a shortage of truckers too if i recall.

+2   

1 month ago '12        #21
daman729 
Props total: 61561 61 K  Slaps total: 2414 2 K
Probably some more inside job bullsh*t for oil companies to have a quick cash in. Or could be a distraction. Who knows. Cant even trust these mothafu*kas. Most of the sh*t we see on the news is either scripted or manipulated.

1 month ago '09        #22
Zao 
Props total: 21843 21 K  Slaps total: 5398 5 K
My girl paid almost 50% more today for gas. We ain't gonna be driving much this month
+1   

1 month ago '11        #23
 d.c. supreme said
the old anonymous guys used to tout honor and the like back in the day, guessing this is a similar deal.

meanwhile... things looking skressful up b y'all on the east coast. mad stations in VA and other states reporting out of gas but the "state of emergency" order has made it so tons of trucks are hauling gas from texas now. but that ain't gonna be enough to fill demand. plus there's a shortage of truckers too if i recall.

I really hope this doesn't last too long, pipe line is scheduled to be turned back on friday
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  70
Why can't these Chicago rappers let Tooka rest?
70 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+395online now  29
Hell Yeah!!! After 3 Long Years Ya Boy Is A Gracie jiu jitsu Black Belt.
610 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  22
Image(s) inside actors you thought would have blown up
146 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+69online now  12
Chief Keef Goes Crazy On Young Buck's Classic Song Stomp