Remember when Jay challenged Nas to a PPV Battle?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '12        #1
1107 page views
44 comments

TRILL SH1T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 21657 21 K  Slaps total: 3555 3 K
Remember when Jay challenged Nas to a PPV Battle?

I mentioned this to a friend and he thought I was lying, most donít remember this...

For two consecutive days this week, Jay-Z guested on Angie Martinez's afternoon show, speaking out on rumors of civil unrest within the Roc-A-Fella camp ó which he scoffed at, insisting, "How could I leave the Roc? I am the Roc" ó as well as his falling-out with former mentor Jaz-O (see "Jaz-O Reminds World Where Jay-Z Got His Blueprint"). More significant, though, was Jay-Z's reaction to the ongoing beef with rapper Nas. Echoing a challenge that he made in the current issue of The Source magazine, Jigga suggested that the two rivals settle their differences with a pay-per-view rhyme battle. He added that each party could pony up $1 million for the wager, with all event proceeds going to a charity of the winner's choice.

By day two of Jay's marathon interview, he reported that boxing promoter Don King had already faxed in a proposal to organize the event. Don't call up your local cable-providers just yet, though ó as of press time, Nas had not accepted, nor even responded to, Jay-Z's three-rhyme challenge.
-via MTV News
visit this link http://www.mtv.com/news/1 .. adio-takeover/

6min mark

In hindsight I canít believe this actually even happened - Jay-Z challenging another rapper to a PPV battle pre- URLTV Smack DVD.
+12   

best
worst
44 comments

2 months ago '11        #2
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 47720 47 K  Slaps total: 35511 35 K
this probably what gave him the idea to do that wack a*s concert before that Mike Tyson f*ght

Last edited by awww; 05-06-2021 at 02:24 PM..
+4   

2 months ago '16        #3
galou 
Props total: 6301 6 K  Slaps total: 572 572
"Mobsters don't box
My pump shot obliges
Any invitation to f*ght you punk a*ses
Like Pun said
You ain't even en mi clasa"

Last edited by galou; 05-06-2021 at 06:49 PM..
+17   

2 months ago '12        #4
OskarDaHippie 
Props total: 6470 6 K  Slaps total: 1675 1 K
What’s the original interview?
+2   

2 months ago '16        #5
galou 
I still have that source magazine with jigga mentioning that
+5   

2 months ago '09        #6
MakaveliToDon91  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 43993 43 K  Slaps total: 12037 12 K
Damn i remember this sh*t....ya'll jus unlocked a memory i forgot i had
+12   

2 months ago '20        #7
Mysticman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 30353 30 K  Slaps total: 9900 9 K
Nas lost

2 months ago '20        #8
SC2 
Props total: 1674 1 K  Slaps total: 659 659
CAMEL LOST because he's obsessed with Nas
+20   

2 months ago '05        #9
youngvito18 
Props total: 24451 24 K  Slaps total: 4555 4 K
I mean..of course jay did

His ego was hurt

Its like when your cracking jokes with a kid and your boddyyiinnggg him, if his ego is fragile you know eventually he'll say "u cant beat me though"

Jay was the kid basically saying i can beat you up

And i was a big jay stan but even i know he was hurt
+12   

2 months ago '04        #10
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29557 29 K  Slaps total: 1422 1 K
it's because the perception at that moment was nas hurt him bad with ether so jigga had to up the ante and appear strong and ready to throw down at a moments notice even tho that wasn't jigga's style or game. people forget nas was like a declining power going into that beef and his next album. his lead single was literately titled, "hate me now" before all of this and it was with puffy. he was the baby goat out the gate and people thought he was a disappointment or he fell off.

jay was on his meteoric rise like all of def jam/roc/ruff ryders post pac/biggie death and he thought he could slay the baby goat and supplant his status as the king of new york (even tho dmx was doing better numbers at the time but that's besides the point.) he went at mobb deep for that reason on the same song and the summerjam sh*t for the same reason. it was an attempt to claim the crown because jigga understood the politics/legacy sh*t unlike someone like dmx who was just pure artist.

problem was people didn't expect nas to come back like that. they thought he was too pacified. he was in full on faux mafioso "get fat and retire in miami" status at that point. but brother came out going at everything, because the jigga sh*t was clearly personal even went at his looks and notice ever since that dissin women scared they called you ugly line jigga has done nothing but been more mature and bigging up women thread just got posted that re-upped that article about him disowning "big pimpin" and being embarrassed about writing it that line clearly hit home. changed the entire perspective of jay's raps from there on out. made him self reflect. 36 in a karate class? ever since those lines jigga was the "mature" rapper.

that's why nas won that battle. not to take anything away from jigga's legacy he's still one of the best to do it. his abilities are legendary. one of the goats i love so much of his music and it brings back memories. but keep it a buck we can argue the better diss and better song in that beef but one diss woke up a monster who's career got resuscitated after and the other hurt the other guy so bad he changed his entire approach to music. that's why nas won that battle. it wasn't just best diss or anything, that changed the mans behavior that's wild.
+6   

2 months ago '18        #11
BlackjesuS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 6824 6 K  Slaps total: 1588 1 K
 galou said
"Mobsters don't box
My pump shot obliges
Every invitation to f*ght you punk a*ses
Like Pun said
You ain't even en mi clasa"

Thought this was just babble
+2   

2 months ago '05        #12
Flatbush85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14462 14 K  Slaps total: 1407 1 K

2 months ago '18        #13
Steve Gee97  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17442 17 K  Slaps total: 2465 2 K
I remember reading something about that online...

Nas casually said "Pay Per View for Wrestlers and Boxers" and basically challenged Jay to a album battle.

In retrospect, God's Son was a better album than Blueprint 2.

If Jay had trimmed that down to 1 disc, maybe it would have been better.

On the title track, Jay accepted his loss to Nas like Seto Kaiba did with Yugi Moto at the semifinals of Battle City and moved on. I remember that episode well. It was a 6 part episode which I was thought was a good analogy.

Nas= Yugi

Jay-Z= Kaiba

Prodigy= Joey Wheeler

2 months ago '10        #14
acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19044 19 K  Slaps total: 3459 3 K
 d.c. supreme said
it's because the perception at that moment was nas hurt him bad with ether so jigga had to up the ante and appear strong and ready to throw down at a moments notice even tho that wasn't jigga's style or game. people forget nas was like a declining power going into that beef and his next album. his lead single was literately titled, "hate me now" before all of this and it was with puffy. he was the baby goat out the gate and people thought he was a disappointment or he fell off.

jay was on his meteoric rise like all of def jam/roc/ruff ryders post pac/biggie death and he thought he could slay the baby goat and supplant his status as the king of new york (even tho dmx was doing better numbers at the time but that's besides the point.) he went at mobb deep for that reason on the same song and the summerjam sh*t for the same reason. it was an attempt to claim the crown because jigga understood the politics/legacy sh*t unlike someone like dmx who was just pure artist.

problem was people didn't expect nas to come back like that. they thought he was too pacified. he was in full on faux mafioso "get fat and retire in miami" status at that point. but brother came out going at everything, because the jigga sh*t was clearly personal even went at his looks and notice ever since that dissin women scared they called you ugly line jigga has done nothing but been more mature and bigging up women thread just got posted that re-upped that article about him disowning "big pimpin" and being embarrassed about writing it that line clearly hit home. changed the entire perspective of jay's raps from there on out. made him self reflect. 36 in a karate class? ever since those lines jigga was the "mature" rapper.

that's why nas won that battle. not to take anything away from jigga's legacy he's still one of the best to do it. his abilities are legendary. one of the goats i love so much of his music and it brings back memories. but keep it a buck we can argue the better diss and better song in that beef but one diss woke up a monster who's career got resuscitated after and the other hurt the other guy so bad he changed his entire approach to music. that's why nas won that battle. it wasn't just best diss or anything, that changed the mans behavior that's wild.
I go back and listen to Nostradamus and it wasn't even that bad. it has some of my favorite nas songs ever like; come get me, life we chose and family. I do remember a lot of people saying that nas fell off but I didn't see it
+4   

2 months ago '11        #15
Sinamatik CFR  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 45044 45 K  Slaps total: 4391 4 K
NasDaq Dow Jones vs. This Hov on Triller with commentary by Snoop...

pre-show T.B.A.
+4   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '16        #16
Hoggystyle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 72324 72 K  Slaps total: 8089 8 K
Nas would’ve rinsed all the water off the camels back
+3   

2 months ago '17        #17
ThaFrozenOne 
Props total: 8370 8 K  Slaps total: 2319 2 K
Nas ain’t want no smoke let’s keep it a buck.

2 months ago '17        #18
Its 
Props total: 17194 17 K  Slaps total: 1566 1 K
Yea son was hurt lol
Ether was such a momentum swing, you'll never understand if you weren't there.
Jay had n*ggas on the ropes with takeover.
The whole blueprint was an Instant classic for real, everybody was bumping that. Especially the n*ggas that be in here hating on him everyday, they loved this n*gga back then lmao.
I honestly thought nas and p was done and both of them was my n*ggas lol
Then like 6 months later ether dropped and had the rap world shook tf up. Radios everywhere were running it 5 times in an hour and sh*t lmao

Also it was good Nas ain't accept
He ain't a battle rapper for one(and hov knew that)
And two, he now had the ups. Ether was the hottest thing in the world. sh*t became slang to this day
Nas pulled a rabbit out a hat
+6   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '16        #19
HugheStone 
Props total: 10061 10 K  Slaps total: 2280 2 K
Is this before or after NAS acquired a stake in jayz publishing
+2   

2 months ago '16        #20
90sVibe 
Props total: 7234 7 K  Slaps total: 1138 1 K
 Steve Gee97 said

Nas casually said "Pay Per View for Wrestlers and Boxers" and basically challenged Jay to a album battle.

On the title track, Jay accepted his loss to Nas like Seto Kaiba did with Yugi Moto at the semifinals of Battle City and moved on. I remember that episode well. It was a 6 part episode which I was thought was a good analogy.

Nas= Yugi

Jay-Z= Kaiba

Prodigy= Joey Wheeler
But Blueprint was better than Stillmatic

2 months ago '20        #21
SC2 
Props total: 1674 1 K  Slaps total: 659 659
 90sVibe said
But Blueprint was better than Stillmatic
Rofl! Far from it!

That commercial bullsh*t format!? ..its been done 1000x already

2 months ago '16        #22
90sVibe 
Props total: 7234 7 K  Slaps total: 1138 1 K
 SC2 said
Rofl! Far from it!

That commercial bullsh*t format!? ..its been done 1000x already
Ainít nothing bullsh*t about Blueprint 1 , and itís a better album than Stillmatic , not saying Stillmatic is a bad album but it just edges out

And name an album that been done in the style of Blueprint 1 ?
+1   

2 months ago '20        #23
The corrector 
Props total: 3909 3 K  Slaps total: 752 752
 Steve Gee97 said

Nas= Yugi

Jay-Z= Kaiba

Prodigy= Joey Wheeler
fu*k you nerd

2 months ago '11        #24
sbrown1 
Props total: 4259 4 K  Slaps total: 942 942
if u sign a dude that dissed u, and u make money off him in any shape or form, u always won the battle

2 months ago '16        #25
galou 
 sbrown1 said
if u sign a dude that dissed u, and u make money off him in any shape or form, u always won the battle
LA REID signed Nas
+4   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+18online now  30
Joel Embiid's reaction when Simmons passed up wide open dunk
129 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+76online now  23
Creepiest thing you ever experienced?
257 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+69online now  21
I've been addicted to P0RN for 20 years mane!!!!
184 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  16
Video inside Kevin McCall gets ready to throw hands on the Kraig Smith podcast
38 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy