May 5 - Private Citizens, Law Enforcement face AMMO shortage

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+44  40
110 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '05        #1
714 page views
24 comments

stanis3k  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 3052 3 K  Slaps total: 195 195
May 5 - Private Citizens, Law Enforcement face AMMO shortage

A surge in new gun purchases has triggered a shortage of ammunition, raising concern among local police departments.

Several Washington, D.C.-area police departments said they have noticed a dwindling supply of bullets being sold by manufacturers and distributers, which could eventually create problems for agencies which buy ammunition for officer training and certification.

The ammunition shortage also creates hurdles and headaches for private gun shops and owners, some of whom report skyrocketing prices.

“I talk to police departments everywhere — from federal, state and local departments — daily. They are struggling to find ammunition to even qualify the officers,” said Curt Sebastian, co-owner of SSG Tactical gun shop in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Sebastian said the shortage has quadrupled the price of some ammunition and drained his supply of others.

“There will come a point, if things keep going the way they're going, when I don't have enough inventory to be open six days a week,” he said.

Sebastian said a box of ammo that traditionally sells for $9 to $14 now costs about $50.

FBI records reviewed by the News4 I-Team show a spike in new gun purchase background checks. The number of people applying for a firearms background check jumped by almost 1 million each month since the beginning of the pandemic. The wave of new buyers has drained the ammunition supply, Sebastian said. He said 85% of his customers have been first-time gun owners. Add those new gun owners to people who also stocked up in the past year due to the civil unrest, the election and the transition of power in DC and you have the perfect storm for a shortage, according to Sebastian.

To prevent a shortage of ammunition, several local police departments said they purchase bullets months in advance, in large orders, to avoid running low.

“We don't try to wait until we're out or low,” said acting Arlington Police Chief Andy Penn. “We stay proactive in order so that we don't run out. We always have a supply.”

He said right now his department has a large amount of ammunition that’s been on backorder for months.

Hagerstown Police Chief Paul Kifer said his department switched from 40-caliber firearms to 9mm firearms in recent years, in part because 9mm ammunition was easier to procure. Kifer said his department also started ordering two years’ worth of ammo in the past. And he continued, if prices continue to go up, budgets might have to be adjusted.

“If we have to, we have to pull something from another part of our budget to make up the difference for the ammo costs,’ Kifer said. “That's what we've got to do.”

“Our firearms instructors have closely monitored our ammunition supply, have kept in contact with our ammunition vendors and have made revisions to our in-person training, all while continuing to ensure that each of our officers meets state mandated training requirements,” a Leesburg Police Department spokesman said.

Maryland, Virginia and federal regulations require police officers complete firearms training before they are licensed or permitted to carry guns as law enforcement officers. Multiple law enforcement officials told the I-Team a new officer needs almost 1,000 bullets for first-year training and certification. They said returning officers require almost 100 each for annual training, which includes both daylight and low-light training regimens.

Gun owners said they also need bullets for training and are concerned about the shrinking supply of bullets.

“If you don't train, when it comes down to it, in any stressful situation you lose your fine motor skills,” Greg Newman of Spotsylvania County said.

Newman said prospective ammunition buyers are experiencing a shortage similar to the panic runs made on toilet paper and sanitary wipes in March 2020.

“What's happening with a lot of higher volume shooters, they're hanging on to what they've got,” Newman said.

visit this link https://www.nbcwashington .. rtage/2661520/
+3   

best
worst
24 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
TKO420 
Props total: 4450 4 K  Slaps total: 244 244
Learn to make your own rounds
+5   

1 month ago '05        #3
2 Pistolz 
Props total: 28874 28 K  Slaps total: 5117 5 K
Glad I'm stocked up, but only on defense ammo.

I'm all out of range ammo. fu*k it.
+5   

1 month ago '19        #4
LikeLupinIII 
Props total: 1383 1 K  Slaps total: 399 399
 2 Pistolz said

Wanna trade? I need 9mm, I got 556..

1 month ago '20        #5
confidential1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 48499 48 K  Slaps total: 2545 2 K
Start 3D printing them sh*ts

1 month ago '11        #6
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 20924 20 K  Slaps total: 2808 2 K
 2 Pistolz said

I thought this said RAGE ammo. Changed your statement completely, especially cuz i never heard of defense vs range ammo.
+1   

1 month ago '11        #7
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 47356 47 K  Slaps total: 35398 35 K
im freinds with a n*gga on facebook that makes daily posts on where to get bullets, this n*gga buys a gun every other week. im like this n*gga has a whole fu*king armory. damn fu*k guns bruh n*ggas are pussies now they rather shoot guns

1 month ago '16        #8
MacFrugal  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 6139 6 K  Slaps total: 919 919
 TKO420 said
There’s a primer shortage as well
+3   

1 month ago '06        #9
sunsetnVine 
Props total: 18509 18 K  Slaps total: 1787 1 K
 awww said
im freinds with a n*gga on facebook that makes daily posts on where to get bullets, this n*gga buys a gun every other week. im like this n*gga has a whole fu*king armory. damn fu*k guns bruh n*ggas are pussies now they rather shoot guns
All those guns and one trigger finger
+3   

1 month ago '18        #10
antisocial100 
Props total: 15901 15 K  Slaps total: 4610 4 K
I went to the gun range few months back and they were saying the same thing
+2   

1 month ago '10        #11
IITHUNDABR3ADII 
Props total: 4928 4 K  Slaps total: 1414 1 K
 awww said
> this n*gga buys a gun every other week.
> bruh n*ggas are pussies now they rather shoot guns

Maybe its just a hobby for him? The issue is probably that *you* have violence on your mind all the time and you can't imagine using them for anything other than ending the stupid f*ghts you get into all the time.

Some people just like guns. I want to buy enough land to put a range behind my home and not worry about noise complaints. I don't ever intend to use them on someone else. Its a hobby and maybe something I will use to bring in my own meat someday. I also don't get into f*ghts constantly so whether or not I am handling an altercation like a "pu**y" isn't something I have to worry about very often.

+4   

1 month ago '06        #12
imthatinfamous  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 24453 24 K  Slaps total: 7581 7 K
This is b.s... shortage stared happening in the early months of the pandemic when gun owners were stocking up and supply chains were shut down for manufacturers

I just bought 250 rounds of .380 for about $230. Crazy prices right now...but if there wasn't a 1 box limit I would have probably bought at least 5
+7   

1 month ago '20        #13
GUS FRING  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x28
Props total: 41323 41 K  Slaps total: 4173 4 K
 TKO420 said
you make your own ammunition??
+1   

1 month ago '16        #14
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 67756 67 K  Slaps total: 4100 4 K
9mm 45acp .223's been hard to get in LA for a minute now. Can always find shogun slugs and buck though
+2   

1 month ago '15        #15
T rootz 
Props total: 5739 5 K  Slaps total: 478 478
Only stock of ammo im buying is ammo stock.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #16
alejandrugas 
Props total: 4272 4 K  Slaps total: 223 223
Ammo has been crazy for a min. Even Going to the range is too damn expensive to go regularly. People been stockpiling since Covid started
+2   

1 month ago '15        #17
Baudimore  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 6422 6 K  Slaps total: 2327 2 K
That's why I use a slingshot. More than one way to sling rock
+4   

1 month ago '17        #18
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 9917 9 K  Slaps total: 3950 3 K
n*ggas want you to get in line at 8am at academy

I got 50 bullets

fu*k a range
+1   

1 month ago '04        #19
boimannie2004 
Props total: 4071 4 K  Slaps total: 110 110
sh*t this has BEEN happening. Especially in gun toting a*s Texas Got lucky once at Academy with some 9mm range ammo once back in February and never again. Gun shops charging $40-50 a box of 50 rounds now WTF.
+2   

1 month ago '17        #20
92baby 
Props total: 71515 71 K  Slaps total: 9447 9 K
I need more bullets mofos are buying guns

Most ain’t gonna shoot sh*t no way
+2   

1 month ago '18        #21
BG704 
Props total: 3278 3 K  Slaps total: 177 177
 Tony Franks said
I thought this said RAGE ammo. Changed your statement completely, especially cuz i never heard of defense vs range ammo.
Range ammo is something cheaper or lightweight in relation with the grains. Defense ammo example would be hollow tips or your higher grain rounds. For home defense you’re looking to critically injured and want a bullet to perform. Hollow will stay in you, as opposed to going through, which will cause more damage as it mushrooms and bounces inside of target
+3   

1 month ago '05        #22
TKO420 
Props total: 4450 4 K  Slaps total: 244 244
 MacFrugal said
There’s a primer shortage as well
Yeah I didn't know that. My uncles reload their own and I asked them about that and they said it's been tough lately because alot of ppl started doing it as well
+1   

1 month ago '07        #23
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x48
Props total: 78938 78 K  Slaps total: 8339 8 K

1 month ago '04        #24
ItAlY2BkLyN 
Props total: 29405 29 K  Slaps total: 7588 7 K
Glad I got my 9mm before sh*t went haywire. Been trying to find some .223 for less than $1+/rd but sh*t's redic.

1 month ago '20        #25
RockyII 
Props total: 9541 9 K  Slaps total: 1274 1 K
 awww said
fu*k guns and cigarettes

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  10
Image(s) inside The Cost of Living in 1970 (Pre hip-hop days)
46 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  9
Video inside When Flexing your scam money on the gram goes wrong.
144 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-24online now  7
If I'm Jalen Rose, I am banging Maria Taylor
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+82online now  5
If you are good with money, I need your genuine help BX…
114 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy