Sony really hated PS4 crossplay, confidential documents reveal

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+24  90
100 replies  @wild'ish

most viewed right now
14 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

1 week ago '04        #1
1291 page views
59 comments

Da Ill One|M  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 12088 12 K  Slaps total: 685 685
Sony really hated PS4 crossplay, confidential documents reveal

It’s no secret that Sony held back PS4 cross-platform play for years, but new confidential documents and emails reveal just how much Sony was against letting people play the same games with their friends on other platforms. Sony initially blocked cross-platform play for both Rocket League and Minecraft, despite Nintendo and Microsoft both enabling players to play across Xbox and Switch. The issue really blew up when Sony blocked Fortnite crossplay in 2018, and players were angry. It now appears that Sony may have been holding out to offset potential revenue losses.

In the months leading up to Sony’s decision to block Fortnite crossplay in 2018, Epic Games had pleaded with Sony to enable crossplay, emails in the Epic Games v. Apple case reveal. “I can’t think of a scenario where Epic doesn’t get what we want - that possibility went out the door when Fortnite became the biggest game on PlayStation,” said Joe Kreiner, Epic’s vice president of business development.

Kreiner proposed, “We announce crossplay in conjunction with Sony. Epic goes out of its way to make Sony look like heroes.” Epic even offered to brand its E3 presence with PlayStation or add unique characters, exclusive to PS Plus subscribers, to sweeten the deal. “Let’s make this a huge win for us all. Epic’s not changing it’s mind on the issue, so let’s just agree on it now,” said Kreiner.

Sony didn’t agree.

Gio Corsi, Sony’s senior director of developer relations at the time, dismissed the idea of crossplay, noting that “cross-platform play is not a slam dunk no matter the size of the title” — a clear reference to Epic’s flex about Fortnite’s dominance on PlayStation. “As you know, many companies are exploring this idea and not a single one can explain how cross-console play improves the PlayStation business,” said Corsi.

But as of August 2019, it appears that Sony may have found a worthy argument: a way to potentially siphon off money from its competitors in exchange for access to PlayStation players.

The email correspondence doesn’t reveal where the issue ultimately ended up, but a document entitled “cross-platform policy, requirements, and process” from August 2019 (after Sony’s change) reveals how Sony may now approach crossplay: a cross-platform revenue share, forcing publishers to pay Sony a royalty whenever PlayStation players contribute more than a certain percentage to the bottom line of a cross-platform game, to “offset the reduction in revenue” from Sony enabling crossplay

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney confirmed in testimony today that Sony is the only platform holder that requires this compensation for crossplay. “In certain circumstances Epic will have to pay additional revenue to Sony,” said Sweeney. “If somebody were primarily playing on PlayStation, but paying on iPhone then this might trigger compensation.” Sweeney also revealed that Epic had to agree to pay these additional fees to Sony in order to enable crossplay in Fortnite.

Sony also stipulates in the policy that publishers can’t transfer virtual currency to or from PlayStation, and that there must be a setting to disable all cross-platform interactions.

There may have been other good reasons for Sony to stop blocking crossplay as well: three months after the Epic Games emails, Sony was facing a backlash when it blocked Fortnite crossplay and eventually backed down in late 2018, with a new policy change to enable crossplay in certain games.

These emails and documents offer just a small glimpse into Sony’s efforts to initially block crossplay, before Epic Games’ success with Fortnite seems to have forced the company to ultimately concede.

Update, May 3rd 6:15PM ET: Article updated with comments from Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney confirming Sony’s crossplay compensation.

Last edited by Da Ill One; 05-03-2021 at 08:25 PM..
+5   

best
worst
59 comments

1 week ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63367 63 K  Slaps total: 19070 19 K
Sony is truly the GOAT for this, cross play is some sucka a*s sh*t. Either coordinate with all the homies to get games for the same console or watch each other’s streams B

1 week ago '20        #3
D1dnt read 
Props total: 17736 17 K  Slaps total: 4062 4 K
I like crossplay but I get the reasoning from a business standpoint

u got a console with over 100million users vs the xbone with like 17 million or somesh*t.. it would only benefit the competition
+4   

1 week ago '14        #4
mumbosauce  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25107 25 K  Slaps total: 3288 3 K
PS4/PC cross play is cool

1 week ago '05        #5
Krazie 
Props total: 35662 35 K  Slaps total: 4722 4 K
Sony the anti-consumer kings
+5   

1 week ago '20        #6
D1dnt read 
 Krazie said
Sony the anti-consumer kings

MS had this mindset during the 360 gen funny how they opened up to it once they needed that PS userbase
+2   

1 week ago '05        #7
Krazie 
 D1dnt read said
MS had this mindset during the 360 gen funny how they opened up to it once they needed that PS userbase
Nope.
+2   

1 week ago '17        #8
 D1dnt read said

1 week ago '08        #9
BRonin357 
Props total: 4090 4 K  Slaps total: 455 455
 SPdaGOAT said
Sony is truly the GOAT for this, cross play is some sucka a*s sh*t. Either coordinate with all the homies to get games for the same console or watch each other’s streams B
You are the biggest Sony cuck I've ever seen digitally.

Anything to make sony seem good even after damning evidence is shown. You like a nut a*s Trump voter still believing the election was "stolen". fu*k outta here!
+15   

1 week ago '17        #10
 BRonin357 said
You are the biggest Sony cuck I've ever seen digitally.

Anything to make sony seem good even after damning evidence is shown. You like a nut a*s Trump voter still believing the election was "stolen". fu*k outta here!
I love how mad it makes y’all

n*gga said digitally, getcho dork a*s the fu*k on

1 week ago '08        #11
BRonin357 
 D1dnt read said
I like crossplay but I get the reasoning from a business standpoint

u got a console with over 100million users vs the xbone with like 17 million or somesh*t.. it would only benefit the competition
Xbox had 50 million users and then add in the 200 milliion PC players and 75 million switch players and you got a big a*s pool of players at all times.

This benefits everyone, not just the competition.
+7   

1 week ago '16        #12
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 58042 58 K  Slaps total: 7222 7 K
Cross play is what true gamers have always wanted. Fire up some dope game and no matter what ya man's got we can all roll.
+18   

1 week ago '12        #13
LicensedLegend 
Props total: 9846 9 K  Slaps total: 1350 1 K
Boxden is buy it all gang so I really don’t see anyone on here caring about this honestly.

Last edited by LicensedLegend; 05-03-2021 at 09:49 PM..
+6   

1 week ago '08        #14
BRonin357 
 SPdaGOAT said
I love how mad it makes y’all

n*gga said digitally, getcho dork a*s the fu*k on
You a sony troll and I love pointing out your cuckery every chance I get on this site. Go eat a covid d*ck cuck a*s cuck!

1 week ago '17        #15
 BRonin357 said
You a sony troll and I love pointing out your cuckery every chance I get on this site. Go eat a covid d*ck cuck a*s cuck!
n*ggas log onto this site to get irate by my takes lol, get someone to hug you bruh
+2   

1 week ago '11        #16
UrDoinGood 
Props total: 5723 5 K  Slaps total: 1357 1 K
Aside from a PlayStation, Sony is trash IMO.

Weak a*s laptops,
Trash a*s subwoofers,
Mid level TV’s
+5   

1 week ago '17        #17
 UrDoinGood said

Weak a*s laptops,
Trash a*s subwoofers,
Mid level TV’s
They headphones ight
+2   

1 week ago '14        #18
BasedSoul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 7296 7 K  Slaps total: 410 410
 UrDoinGood said

Weak a*s laptops,
Trash a*s subwoofers,
Mid level TV’s
There's a reason they don't make any money outside of Playstation. Can't say the same for Microsoft.
+2   

1 week ago '11        #19
UrDoinGood 
Props total: 5723 5 K  Slaps total: 1357 1 K
 SPdaGOAT said
They headphones ight

You right. These was goat like 12 years ago

+1   

1 week ago '20        #20
D1dnt read 
 Krazie said
Nope.

Trion Global Brand Director Alex Rodberg said that while this cross-platform mingling can be done, it's extremely unlikely that such a thing would ever reach live servers: "Microsoft won't let Sony players play against them."

"Microsoft is not allowing cross-play completely; which means [War Thunder] cannot be on Xbox One," Yudintsev told GameSpot.

'Portal 2' for PlayStation 3 is getting a better offering than Microsoft, and according to Valve, Microsoft chose this route despite being offered the same features.

The game director of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has explained the title won't be coming to Microsoft consoles as Xbox Live policies don't support cross-play with other platforms.

anti-consumer indeed
+8   

1 week ago '17        #21
 D1dnt read said

anti-consumer indeed
+1   

1 week ago '07        #22
killacar 
Props total: 16597 16 K  Slaps total: 1062 1 K
I just hate how you cant transfer you in-game items, I would buy certain games on multiple consoles if that was possible
+1   

1 week ago '18        #23
No Religion  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 24592 24 K  Slaps total: 1877 1 K
They need to block mouse and keyboard play across all consoles.
+3   

1 week ago '05        #24
Krazie 
 D1dnt read said

anti-consumer indeed
Nope.

Pretty sure those all have to do with the F2P trash Microsoft had where you needed LIVE. Different topic.

Also now a non-issue.

You tried though.

1 week ago '06        #25
Kingme 
Props total: 18593 18 K  Slaps total: 3393 3 K
 No Religion said
They need to block mouse and keyboard play across all consoles.
Halo Infinite matches players by input regardless of the device. So if you're on your Xbox with a mouse and keyboard you're getting matched with other players using mouse and keyboard. If you using a controller you get matched with controller players.
Hopefully this feature will pick up this gen on all multi platform games.
+4   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+62online now  10
Article inside 4 Year Old Boy Accidentally Buys Almost $3,000 Worth Of SpongeBob Pop..
81 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+50online now  8
Video inside Kevin Samuels man... "Single Mother of 4." "Im fine as hell." Yooo what.
150 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  5
Video inside Seattle Woman/“Zombie” No one knows what’s going on!
113 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+23online now  3
The Game is riding around in LA in his Lambo pumping out 50 Cent's 'Many Men' ..
149 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy