May 2 - Private Equity Firms are buying all the Single Family Homes in America

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+44  42
118 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

1 month ago '05        #1
11211 page views
258 comments

phantomnation  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 86795 86 K  Slaps total: 6639 6 K
May 2 - Private Equity Firms are buying all the Single Family Homes in America

A bidding war broke out this winter at a new subdivision north of Houston. But the prize this time was the entire subdivision, not just a single suburban house, illustrating the rise of big investors as a potent new force in the U.S. housing market.

D.R. Horton Inc. built 124 houses in Conroe, Texas, rented them out and then put the whole community, Amber Pines at Fosters Ridge, on the block. A Who’s Who of investors and home-rental firms flocked to the December sale. The winning $32 million bid came from an online property-investing platform, Fundrise LLC, which manages more than $1 billion on behalf of about 150,000 individuals.

The country’s most prolific home builder booked roughly twice what it typically makes selling houses to the middle class—an encouraging debut in the business of selling entire neighborhoods to investors.

“We certainly wouldn’t expect every single-family community we sell to sell at a 50% gross margin,” the builder’s finance chief, Bill Wheat, said at a recent investor conference.

From individuals with smartphones and a few thousand dollars to pensions and private-equity firms with billions, yield-chasing investors are snapping up single-family houses to rent out or flip. They are competing for houses with ordinary Americans, who are armed with the cheapest mortgage financing ever, and driving up home prices.

“You now have permanent capital competing with a young couple trying to buy a house,” said John Burns, whose eponymous real estate consulting firm estimates that in many of the nation’s top markets, roughly one in every five houses sold is bought by someone who never moves in. “That’s going to make U.S. housing permanently more expensive,” he said.

The consulting firm found Houston to be a favorite haunt of investors who have lately accounted for 24% of home purchases there. Investors’ slice of the housing market grows—as it does in other boomtowns, such as Miami, Phoenix and Las Vegas—among properties priced below $300,000 and in decent school districts.

“Limited housing supply, low rates, a global reach for yield, and what we’re calling the institutionalization of real-estate investors has set the stage for another speculative investor-driven home price bubble,” the firm concluded.

The bubble has room to grow before it bursts, according to John Burns Real Estate Consulting. But it is inflating fast. The firm expects home prices to climb 12% this year—on top of last year’s 11% rise—and increase at least 6% in 2022, a period of appreciation reminiscent of 2004 and 2005.

That boom was different, fueled by loose lending that enabled individuals to speculate on home prices by racking up mortgages they could repay only if home prices kept climbing. The money party ended a few years later when home prices stopped rising. The ensuing crash wiped out $11 trillion in U.S. household wealth and brought the global financial system to the brink of collapse.

Financiers stepped in starting in 2011 and gobbled up foreclosed homes at steep discounts. They dispatched buyers to courthouse auctions with duffel bags of cash. Smartphones and tablet computers—new then—enabled them to orchestrate the land grab and manage tens of thousands of far-flung properties thereafter.

+30   

best
worst
258 comments

1 month ago '10        #2
acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19015 19 K  Slaps total: 3455 3 K
If y’all want to read more about this look up a book called home wreckers
+76   

1 month ago '07        #3
240ka  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20844 20 K  Slaps total: 5279 5 K
sh*t is fu*ked up. Once again the "American dream" is being stolen from hard working Americans by the rich
+181   

1 month ago '11        #4
PotheadFocker 
Props total: 28058 28 K  Slaps total: 3288 3 K
 240ka said
sh*t is fu*ked up. Once again the "American dream" is being stolen from hard working Americans by the rich
Golly gee whillikers what do you mean pal? Capitalism is the end all be all of democracy and freedom. Billion dollar corporations and inflation are the bee's knees.

Saying anything otherwise is communism, friend.
+109   

1 month ago '15        #5
PineappleOG 
Props total: 40241 40 K  Slaps total: 7289 7 K
Gonna lead to another bubble, houses are becoming unaffordable
+101   

1 month ago '20        #6
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32322 32 K  Slaps total: 6310 6 K
It's very true
+6   

1 month ago '16        #7
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 99805 99 K  Slaps total: 18790 18 K
this is what the bank bailouts was all about. Where the people bailouts?
+34   

1 month ago '12        #8
iamsweets 
Props total: 10478 10 K  Slaps total: 829 829
Yup, but people here in AZ blame people from other states for the surge in home prices. Invitations Homes are buying any and everything under 300k

Last edited by iamsweets; 05-02-2021 at 12:58 PM..
+29   

1 month ago '17        #9
ninesix703 
Props total: 1763 1 K  Slaps total: 267 267
 240ka said
Why not point the finger at the government that made interest rates the lowest they've ever been? Housing prices were gonna rise til the end of next year.

Unlike you I expect private equity firms to make easy money speculative investments.

1 month ago '08        #10
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 38329 38 K  Slaps total: 2224 2 K

Unlivable house in dc had 76 cash offers and sold for 200k over asking.
+21   

1 month ago '04        #11
Viper504 
Props total: 549 549  Slaps total: 271 271
I been trying to buy a house in NC put offers 15-25k over asking and lost because cash offers , people now paying the difference if the house doesn't appraise for what it sold, and people offering 10k+ due diligence. Finally got a house yesterday offered 15k over and 10k due diligence , didn't think I'd get it especially cause the house has a inground pool.
+62   

1 month ago '13        #12
North!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 104377 104 K  Slaps total: 10101 10 K
 PineappleOG said
Gonna lead to another bubble, houses are becoming unaffordable
Tbh I don’t think so

Americans collectively have way more equity than ever

They would sell if sh*t hits the fan

Also it’s record low inventory making prices so high

Way more buyers than sellers making homes so valuable

Though I do think prices have to come down just not no depression/recession steep discount sh*t...
+16   

1 month ago '13        #13
I’m a relatively young realtor

But this sh*t is the craziest market ever it seems

A big part of the reason homes are so high is cause sellers are not selling Mike that

Record low inventory basically everywhere

People not selling, lack of new builds plus crazy buyer demand...
+26   

1 month ago '07        #14
pandadays  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 17115 17 K  Slaps total: 4659 4 K
 North!!! said

A big part of the reason homes are so high is cause sellers are not selling Mike that

Which state are you in? I'm in florida I can barely set an appointment for a walkthrough before a house is sold. Bought and paid for in all cash
+22   

1 month ago '13        #15
Right now theres considerably more realtors than available homes for sale
+22   

1 month ago '13        #16
 pandadays said
Which state are you in? I'm in florida I can barely set an appointment for a walkthrough before a house is sold. Bought and paid for in all cash
New York

Lol I hear it’s basically like this across the Country and lowkey the world
+11   

1 month ago '05        #17
pnoi89  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 24478 24 K  Slaps total: 2553 2 K
 iamsweets said
Yup, but people here in AZ blame people from other states for the surge in home prices. Invitations Homes are buying any and everything under 300k
That's exactly what's happening here in Colorado...

People from other states with higher cost of living selling their homes and moving into Colorado.

It's not that they're rich, but they just come from a higher cost of living and from an area that experience lots of capital appreciation from their first home, that the cash they're bringing in is super inflating tf out of Colorado.

My home (just a normal 3,100 sq ft. house built in 2001) I bought for $265k in 2013, is now appreciated and worth nearly $500k. Ridiculous sh*t.
+32   

1 month ago '17        #18
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 69315 69 K  Slaps total: 4534 4 K
Yep this is about to get real bad for potential home buyers.
+15   

1 month ago '18        #19
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 59296 59 K  Slaps total: 4752 4 K
Everything looking like a bubble right stocks houses
+18   

1 month ago '13        #20
 Ifeellikekobe said
If they can buy they should buy now

It’s tough but it’s the cheapest money ever

Even with rising house prices if you getting a mortgage, the monthly payment should be manageable

What you be worse would for homes to be super cheap price wise but interest rates was crazy high

The monthly payments would be higher in the second instance

Waiting could price some out the market for good...
+5   

1 month ago '14        #21
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 141533 141 K  Slaps total: 32955 32 K
 North!!! said

Heard it's a mess out in Toronto
+7   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '15        #22
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 56590 56 K  Slaps total: 7433 7 K
Everyone copping everything right now

Resellers controlling the market on all aspects from PlayStations to homes
+40   

1 month ago '11        #23
SteffDub 
Props total: 13437 13 K  Slaps total: 1207 1 K
 Ifeellikekobe said
About?? Already is man. I’m in Michigan, my Wife and I been looking for damn near two years. It’s crazy how fast houses are selling. Up until about two years ago you could get a very very very nice crib for less than160k now it’s houses with pink tile and carpet in the bathroom going for 170 smh. If you don’t offer at least 20k over asking within two days of the listing you might as well move on to the next one cus it’s a wrap.
+25   

1 month ago '11        #24
SteffDub 
Props total: 13437 13 K  Slaps total: 1207 1 K
 isthistobe said
Everyone copping everything right now

Resellers controlling the market on all aspects from PlayStations to homes
You need a got damn bot to buy a crib lol
+23   

1 month ago '05        #25
Ari Gold  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 10148 10 K  Slaps total: 2225 2 K
Place a cap on single family home valuations, problem solved. If the only direction is down, you'll remove the investors and leave homes for those in need. Only issue is that would be a 1st step into an actual equal housing possibility. Next would be making wages relative to being about to purchase a single family home.
+13   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+38online now  11
Video inside When Flexing your scam money on the gram goes wrong.
144 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-24online now  11
If I'm Jalen Rose, I am banging Maria Taylor
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+84online now  10
If you are good with money, I need your genuine help BX…
114 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  9
Image(s) inside Daughter Of Mexican Cartel Boss Sentenced To US Prison For Violation O..
48 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy