Apr 22 - USPS Running 'Covert Operations Program' That Monitors Social Media Posts

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+16  316
217 replies  @hiphop

most viewed right now
+18  121
41 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '19        #1
1852 page views
43 comments

ITL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 2534 2 K  Slaps total: 285 285
Apr 22 - USPS Running 'Covert Operations Program' That Monitors Social Media Posts

The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies

“Analysts with the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP) monitored significant activity regarding planned protests occurring internationally and domestically on March 20, 2021,” says the March 16 government bulletin, marked as “law enforcement sensitive” and distributed through the Department of Homeland Security’s fusion centers. “Locations and times have been identified for these protests, which are being distributed online across multiple social media platforms, to include right-wing leaning Parler and Telegram accounts.”

A number of groups were expected to gather in cities around the globe on March 20 as part of a World Wide Rally for Freedom and Democracy, to protest everything from lockdown measures to 5G. “Parler users have commented about their intent to use the rallies to engage in violence. Image 3 on the right is a screenshot from Parler indicating two users discussing the event as an opportunity to engage in a ‘f*ght’ and to ‘do serious damage,’” says the bulletin.

“No intelligence is available to suggest the legitimacy of these threats,” it adds.

The bulletin includes screenshots of posts about the protests from Facebook, Parler, Telegram and other social media sites. Individuals mentioned by name include one alleged Proud Boy and several others whose identifying details were included but whose posts did not appear to contain anything threatening.

“iCOP analysts are currently monitoring these social media channels for any potential threats stemming from the scheduled protests and will disseminate intelligence updates as needed,” the bulletin says.

The government’s monitoring of Americans’ social media is the subject of ongoing debate inside and outside government, particularly in recent months, following a rise in domestic unrest. While posts on platforms such as Facebook and Parler have allowed law enforcement to track down and arrest rioters who a*saulted the Capitol on Jan. 6, such data collection has also sparked concerns about the government surveilling peaceful protesters or those engaged in protected First Amendment activities.

When contacted by Yahoo News, civil liberties experts expressed alarm at the post office’s surveillance program. “It’s a mystery,” said University of Chicago law professor Geoffrey Stone, whom President Barack Obama appointed to review the National Security Agency’s bulk data collection in the wake of the Edward Snowden leaks. “I don’t understand why the government would go to the Postal Service for examining the internet for security issues.”

The Postal Service has had a turbulent year, facing financial insolvency and allegations that its head, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, who was appointed by President Donald Trump, was slowing down deliveries just as the pandemic vastly increased the number of mail-in ballots for the 2020 election. Why the post office would now move into social media surveillance, which would appear to have little to do with mail deliveries, is unclear.

“This seems a little bizarre,” agreed Rachel Levinson-Waldman, deputy director of the Brennan Center for Justice’s liberty and national security program. “Based on the very minimal information that’s available online, it appears that [iCOP] is meant to root out misuse of the postal system by online actors, which doesn’t seem to encompass what’s going on here. It’s not at all clear why their mandate would include monitoring of social media that’s unrelated to use of the postal system.”

(Rest at Link)
visit this link https://news.yahoo.com/th .. 160022919.html
+8   

best
worst
43 comments

3 weeks ago '20        #2
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30047 30 K  Slaps total: 5870 5 K
I don't believe it
+1   

3 weeks ago '20        #3
Mysticman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 28269 28 K  Slaps total: 9109 9 K
It believe don't I
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
franchise  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9335 9 K  Slaps total: 866 866
Whether its USPS or not also. Several branches and departments are already spying on everyone.
+19   

3 weeks ago '05        #5
Fauby  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31207 31 K  Slaps total: 3384 3 K
There are a bunch of private companies that already do this.

You can geo tag an area, place a key word or hashtag and pull up posts on ALL social media with it in it.
+9   

3 weeks ago '04        #6
ILLUSHUN 
Props total: 2014 2 K  Slaps total: 180 180
How does this even work? If you search a tracking number for an order they monitor you with a cookie? Or they just blatantly spying under the guise of the USPS?
+3   

3 weeks ago '04        #7
cledee23 
Props total: 4615 4 K  Slaps total: 576 576
Unfortunately I have a browser that prevents tracking
+5   

3 weeks ago '05        #8
4REAL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 33104 33 K  Slaps total: 9394 9 K
USPS having a social media monitoring wing is so random imo.
+17   

3 weeks ago '13        #9
Facts B  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32659 32 K  Slaps total: 3845 3 K
No wonder they never deliver my sh*t on time
+5   

3 weeks ago '14        #10
BoosieBambataa 
Props total: 2572 2 K  Slaps total: 178 178
 4REAL said
USPS having a social media monitoring wing is so random imo.
I’m wondering if this is a way to keep their funding up. Didn’t they have money issues or something?
+2   

3 weeks ago '06        #11
J_Teflon 
Props total: 7984 7 K  Slaps total: 985 985
USPS is why my account is on private. I once took a pic of a USPS driver sleeping in his van and added a caption “where’s my package”. My account got attacked by USPS workers. I deleted that sh*t and put my account on private. Them fools was trying to cancel me
+14   

3 weeks ago '07        #12
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x88
Props total: 217244 217 K  Slaps total: 19649 19 K
 J_Teflon said
USPS is why my account is on private. I once took a pic of a USPS driver sleeping in his van and added a caption “where’s my package”. My account got attacked by USPS workers. I deleted that sh*t and put my account on private. Them fools was trying to cancel me
+4   

3 weeks ago '11        #13
Trolling 
Props total: 985 985  Slaps total: 229 229
All that spying and they still did a raid on congress
+4   

3 weeks ago '18        #14
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 57598 57 K  Slaps total: 4652 4 K
Them motherfu*kers can't even deliver packages on time but they running covert operations
+10   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '04        #15
zone3cp 
Props total: 119412 119 K  Slaps total: 12796 12 K
They probably used some of USPS FY 2021allocated funding for a separate operation.
+1   

3 weeks ago '19        #16
MP2019 
Props total: 9844 9 K  Slaps total: 1053 1 K
 DUCEDUCE said
Them motherfu*kers can't even deliver packages on time but they running covert operations
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '04        #17
zone3cp 
Props total: 119412 119 K  Slaps total: 12796 12 K
 J_Teflon said
Sounds like u deserved it...You tired to cancel that man instead of waking him up by taking a pic. They human like us and it’s no telling what he’s dealing with outside of that job. U already got everybody at home these days bothering the mailman ducking up his day to day,

That’s real hoe sh*t my g. You really went Karen on bruh.

That boomerang energy when commit an action is undefeated.
+13   

3 weeks ago '20        #18
garrywithtwors 
Props total: 10309 10 K  Slaps total: 873 873
 Fauby said
There are a bunch of private companies that already do this.

You can geo tag an area, place a key word or hashtag and pull up posts on ALL social media with it in it.
Is there an app for that or some sh*t I can download? I got some marketing ideas and fb ad manager just ain't cuttin it for me lately

3 weeks ago '06        #19
J_Teflon 
Props total: 7984 7 K  Slaps total: 985 985
 zone3cp said
Sounds like u deserved it...You tired to cancel that man instead of waking him up by taking a pic. They human like us and it’s no telling what he’s dealing with outside of that job. U already got everybody at home these days bothering the mailman ducking up his day to day,

That’s real hoe sh*t my g. You really went Karen on bruh.

That boomerang energy when commit an action is undefeated.
It was just a joke. Dude was on his break, I wasn’t really trying to complain. Dude was sleeping with his mouth wide open. I thought it was funny
+3   

3 weeks ago '17        #20
Willy Boban  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 58333 58 K  Slaps total: 14314 14 K
 franchise said
Whether its USPS or not also. Several branches and departments are already spying on everyone.
Why would they use USPS to spy on social media while Google runs the entire INTERNET?

Now I understand that black market sellers will ship items through USPS, UPS. FEDEX, and whatever other carriers.

But since Google runs the entire INTERNET.

Then wtf is going on. Is Google not participating or what?

+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #21
JacobWatch 
Props total: 40334 40 K  Slaps total: 2786 2 K
Not surprised by the news I’m just wondering wtf usps is doing in charge of it

Nothing I’ve known about the post office tells me their equipped to handle social media
+3   

3 weeks ago '05        #22
Carpe_DM 
Props total: 4770 4 K  Slaps total: 581 581
Alexa tell this thread to gtfoh

3 weeks ago '16        #23
TrapInBriks11 
Props total: 2486 2 K  Slaps total: 224 224
 DUCEDUCE said
They haven’t even discovered what alphanumeric is and instead recycle tracking numbers.

3 weeks ago '12        #24
knowie728 
Props total: 6478 6 K  Slaps total: 376 376
 J_Teflon said
Daddy How I look ????

I kid...i kid...you made it toooooo easy fam
+3   

3 weeks ago '12        #25
knowie728 
Props total: 6478 6 K  Slaps total: 376 376
 J_Teflon said
It was just a joke. Dude was on his break, I wasn’t really trying to complain. Dude was sleeping with his mouth wide open. I thought it was funny
I stand corrected
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+50online now  30
Gentrifying Black Culture
81 comments
23 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  18
Juicy J buys safemoon !!!!
62 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+27online now  18
May 14 - Senate Commitee CONFIRMS animals kept dying during COV19 Vax trials...
78 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  11
Image(s) inside YoungBoy Writes From Jail
91 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy