Apr 21 - Restaurants dangle bonuses amid labor shortage — and workers aren’t biting

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+51  106
38 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 weeks ago '04        #1
3017 page views
107 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 3456 3 K  Slaps total: 588 588
Apr 21 - Restaurants dangle bonuses amid labor shortage — and workers aren’t biting

The restaurant industry is starved for workers –and some operators are going to desperate lengths to reel in prospective hires.

James Meadowcraft, a McDonald’s manager in Tampa, Fla., recently advertised plans to pay $50 per job interview on the sign outside his location that sits along a busy thoroughfare.

“I tried to make a little splash,” Meadowcraft said of the sign, which signaled that interviews would be conducted Mondays through Fridays at 2 p.m.

But the enterprising restaurateur removed the sign after just two weeks because it failed to lure a single candidate. “No one responded,” Meadowcraft told The Post. “I didn’t even get anyone trying to scam us.”

Experts say it’s a sign of just how difficult it could be for restaurants — from fast-food joints to five-star venues run by celebrity chefs — to ramp up staff as the economy tries to bounce back from its pandemic lows. As The Post has previously reported, low-wage workers are in short supply as generous government benefits stand to pay some people as much as they would if they were working a full-time job.

“The industry is very desperate,” John Gordon of Pacific Management Consulting Group told The Post. “Cash bonuses are not the norm in the restaurant industry.”

Full-service eateries and bars like The Galley and Mary Margaret’s Olde Irish Tavern in St. Petersburg, Fla., have taken to handing out $200 checks to all new hires as of March 25, managing partner Pete Boland told The Post. New employees also stand to snag “a potential raise after a 90-day performance review,” Boland said of the perks he’s advertised in a local trade publication.

So far, however, the offer has failed to lure any prospects, Boland told The Post. “It’s been a month and no one has responded to the ad,” he said.

Even celebrity restaurateurs like Stephen Starr, who operates eateries across the country including Buddakan, Pastis and Morimoto has taken to dangling $300 signing bonuses at some of his restaurants, he told The Post’s Steve Cuozzo.

Starr didn’t return a request for comment about whether the bonuses are working, but Jimmy Haber, owner of swanky chophouse operator BLT Restaurants, says the job market is so bad right now he doesn’t know if he should even bother rolling out his new bonus plan.

Haber, whose company runs BLT Steak and BLT Prime restaurants in the Big Apple, Miami and other locations around the world, “has strongly considered sign-on bonuses” to help with the job crunch, he told The Post. The plan would be to pay bonuses ranging from $500 to $2,000, depending on the position, between 30 to 90 days after hiring.

“But we can’t find any suitable candidates to offer the bonuses to,” Haber complained.

Of course, the failed efforts are unlikely to deter other restaurateurs from trying their luck as the industry scrambles to meet soaring consumer demand fueled by a growing vaccination effort and government stimulus checks.

Another McDonald’s franchisee, who asked not to be identified, said he recently started offering $200 bonuses to new hires who stay with the company for 90 days.

“A lot of operators” are offering $100 signing bonuses, he said, adding that it’s too early to tell whether either payment plan will help lure workers.

“Our staffing levels have not really changed from a few months ago, but the demand (from customers) has gone up dramatically,” the operator said. “Stimulus + tax refunds + pent up demand + extended unemployment has given the food industry and enormous boost all at once.”

visit this link https://nypost.com/2021/0 .. -arent-biting/
+6   

best
worst
107 comments

4 weeks ago '15        #2
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 53522 53 K  Slaps total: 7195 7 K
Makes sense to why Taco Bell was hiring 5000 people in a single day for a marketing campaign
+1   

4 weeks ago '16        #3
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 96699 96 K  Slaps total: 18038 18 K
watch repedofags use this for a hate n tell speach soon ted cruz n tucker carlson
+3   

4 weeks ago '10        #4
lltreyll 
Props total: 3509 3 K  Slaps total: 1088 1 K
That's McDonald's though. I've definitely noticed a change with employment at restaurants and fast food places.

Ive done over 4,000 deliveries so far, and many of them were food pickups. It's crazy how much of an even higher turn over rate I've seen at restaurants and fast food places....Theres been times were it wasnt just seeing employees there for a week or 2, and then they're gone. I've seen a completely new manager along with a whole new set of employees working a shift, and then a different manager and all new employees a month or 2 after that. And that's been at more than a few places.

Last edited by lltreyll; 04-21-2021 at 09:19 PM..
+37   

4 weeks ago '08        #5
Imagin3 
Props total: 11968 11 K  Slaps total: 1480 1 K
Pay them a livable wage so they don't depend on the generosity of strangers to pay their rent maybe??

+87   

4 weeks ago '18        #6
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 57609 57 K  Slaps total: 4653 4 K
Many got hired at better and are not going back.
+20   

4 weeks ago '20        #7
GUS FRING  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x28
Props total: 36679 36 K  Slaps total: 3836 3 K
government checks ..unemployment ..covid relief got people saying fukk dem jobs

lol...this shyt is crazy ironic and its not just affecting american fast food joints

i went to my favorite chinese resturant buffet spot here in georgia and i told her how i notice not only a few new faces (staff, waitresses) but less of them

and the manager whom im cool with said in her broken english..

"dem dont wanna work no moe!!!...we use to call to new york to send more people when we was understaff but since covid they dont come...they get checks!"

we even got into a discussion about the other chinese restaurants in the area how its affecting them too..

she said ..."they dont have chinese workers ..very little ...they use mexicans!!"

+34   

4 weeks ago '16        #8
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 72145 72 K  Slaps total: 9815 9 K
Full-service eateries and bars like The Galley and Mary Margaret’s Olde Irish Tavern in St. Petersburg, Fla., have taken to handing out $200 checks to all new hires as of March 25, managing partner Pete Boland told The Post. New employees also stand to snag “a potential raise after a 90-day performance review,” Boland said of the perks he’s advertised in a local trade publication.
People hardly read newspapers anymore and this dumbass is trying to hire waitstaff out of Restaurant Supplies Monthly

I used to sell the employment ads that ran in the paper... the number of old dudes buying $5,000 ads week after week trying to attract young tech talent in a fu*king newspaper was wild lol

+30   

4 weeks ago '17        #9
Jdog168  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 14347 14 K  Slaps total: 345 345
Supply and demand. If the wages your offering aren’t attracting candidates then you need to increase that wage until people accept.
+25   

4 weeks ago '17        #10
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 65673 65 K  Slaps total: 17934 17 K
Free money to just stay at home..... if u gettin $500 a week to lounge around, eat ur own food, go to sleep, wake up and play video games etc

I doubt an extra $200-300 on regular or so will move you.

Most will go back to work when that unemployment starts getting too low
+23   

4 weeks ago '17        #11
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 14573 14 K  Slaps total: 1438 1 K
 Imagin3 said
Pay them a livable wage so they don't depend on the generosity of strangers to pay their rent maybe??

I came in to say the same thing. If they had started by paying their employees $30/hr, they wouldn't be having these problems (not to say I think that's what they should be making, but they definitely wouldn't have trouble finding workers if they did). It's like they do everything in their power accept paying people more even when basic economic theory says that's what they're supposed to do (no...literally...when people don't want to do a job, you offer to pay them more to do it. That's how it works).
+14   

4 weeks ago '04        #12
jsmooth-117 
Props total: 37266 37 K  Slaps total: 3744 3 K
Honestly, people are blaming unemployed as the reason for people not wanting to work at McDonald’s/Walmart/etc.

While that’s not completely untrue, let’s not forget about people are opting to work at places like uber/grubhub/Amazon/Amazon delivery

People don’t want to slave over burgers and fries (no offense to anyone here that may work at McDonald’s)
+25   

4 weeks ago '05        #13
Daddy Black 
Props total: 13521 13 K  Slaps total: 1178 1 K
 GUS FRING said
government checks ..unemployment ..covid relief got people saying fukk dem jobs

lol...this shyt is crazy ironic and its not just affecting american fast food joints

i went to my favorite chinese resturant buffet spot here in georgia and i told her how i notice not only a few new faces (staff, waitresses) but less of them

and the manager whom im cool with said in her broken english..

"dem dont wanna work no moe!!!...we use to call to new york to send more people when we was understaff but since covid they dont come...they get checks!"

we even got into a discussion about the other chinese restaurants in the area how its affecting them too..

she said ..."they dont have chinese workers ..very little ...they use mexicans!!"

This is real talk. It’s happening everywhere. So many places by me having a hard time hiring people sh*ts gonna be real bad soon when they start lifting restrictions and have no staff to serve the people.
+5   

4 weeks ago '20        #14
GUS FRING  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x28
Props total: 36679 36 K  Slaps total: 3836 3 K
 PackerTrelli3 said
Free money to just stay at home..... if u gettin $500 a week to lounge around, eat ur own food, go to sleep, wake up and play video games etc

I doubt an extra $200-300 on regular or so will move you.

Most will go back to work when that unemployment starts getting too low
FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!......

mofos aint eve n tripping no more over being unemployed.....especially those that got kids

one byatch i know got 6 kids got laid off from her job and collected unemployment just in time for the big stimulus check that just got passed out ....

got a racks for all dem damn kids......

job is back hiring again ...she said she doesnt even pick up her phone and they steady calling her..she good she said eating shrimp and lobster and bought two PS5's and a flat screen for her kids and car

must be nice
+10   

4 weeks ago '15        #15
thirssty58  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 40350 40 K  Slaps total: 5596 5 K
 jsmooth-117 said
Honestly, people are blaming unemployed as the reason for people not wanting to work at McDonald’s/Walmart/etc.

While that’s not completely untrue, let’s not forget about people are opting to work at places like uber/grubhub/Amazon/Amazon delivery

People don’t want to slave over burgers and fries (no offense to anyone here that may work at McDonald’s)
Yeah those amazon vans are literally everywhere stopping when/wherever they please on the road with reckless abandon

Last edited by thirssty58; 04-21-2021 at 10:11 PM..
+8   

4 weeks ago '17        #16
Skratch 
Props total: 8616 8 K  Slaps total: 3585 3 K
Take unemployment away then it will force them to work. This is how UBI would be too if we just give away free money for ppl to sit at home all day

4 weeks ago '15        #17
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 54088 54 K  Slaps total: 8193 8 K
 foshoVoodoo said
watch repedofags use this for a hate n tell speach soon ted cruz n tucker carlson
Kinda got what ya saying with your narrative and poor spelling... I do the same sht if I’m a lil loaded. Not quite a “repedofag” as you stated which I guess you think that’s funny and not juvenile, but anyways I lean right or what the right used to stand for.
Anyways this does kinda show people in his area either have better opportunities or just don’t want to work, because they clearly not struggling. Either from government money they collect, don’t mind living poor, or doing dirt to get money... which we all know where that eventually gets someone. I always hear about “family gotta eat”, poverty levels and crime. You can feed your family and keep a roof with probably 2 minimum wage full time jobs per household. I personally believe dont believe in making babies if ya not ready for babies. I’ve been around when was partying and never made any unintentional kids...
heaven forbid ya wear a damn jimmy and not feel total what without one feels. That sht narcissistic as hell....

Anyways... I’m sure there’s plenty of people that could use 50$ just for a damn interview. But some people lazy as fuk, smokin weed all day, and comfy on government a*sistance.

They all mostly white folks too, so not trying to make up that it’s a it’s a race thing.

Lazy is lazy...
+1   

4 weeks ago '10        #18
eightytyson06 
Props total: 20566 20 K  Slaps total: 1346 1 K
Went to Wendy's they had one chick working during lunch rush baby girl was beat

These restaurants can't keep people after they tasted that unemployment money
+8   

4 weeks ago '15        #19
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 54088 54 K  Slaps total: 8193 8 K
 foshoVoodoo said
Kinda got what ya saying with your narrative and poor spelling... I do the same sht if I’m a lil loaded. Not quite a “repedofag” as you stated which I guess you think that’s funny and not juvenile, but anyways I lean right or what the right used to stand for.
Anyways this does kinda show people in his area either have better opportunities or just don’t want to work, because they clearly not struggling. Either from government money they collect, don’t mind living poor, or doing dirt to get money... which we all know where that eventually gets someone. I always hear about “family gotta eat”, poverty levels and crime. You can feed your family and keep a roof with probably 2 minimum wage full time jobs per household. I personally believe dont believe in making babies if ya not ready for babies. I’ve been around when was partying and never made any unintentional kids...
heaven forbid ya wear a damn jimmy and not feel total what without one feels. That sht narcissistic as hell....

Anyways... I’m sure there’s plenty of people that could use 50$ just for a damn interview. But some people lazy as fuk, smokin weed all day, and comfy on government a*sistance.

They all mostly white folks too, so not trying to make up that it’s a it’s a race thing.

Lazy is lazy...

Your human nature is your human nature...

If you get free money, your gonna not gonna go out and try to work for it after awhile and for those that feel they “deserve it”.

4 weeks ago '13        #20
TheWAVEment 
Props total: 5872 5 K  Slaps total: 1353 1 K
Lazy a*s bums

4 weeks ago '05        #21
Gully Reloaded 
Props total: 9672 9 K  Slaps total: 1908 1 K
 GUS FRING said
FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!......

mofos aint eve n tripping no more over being unemployed.....especially those that got kids

one byatch i know got 6 kids got laid off from her job and collected unemployment just in time for the big stimulus check that just got passed out ....

got a racks for all dem damn kids......

job is back hiring again ...she said she doesnt even pick up her phone and they steady calling her..she good she said eating shrimp and lobster and bought two PS5's and a flat screen for her kids and car

must be nice

At that rate she'll be calling them soon lmao.

But it makes sense. Government is handing out money which is more than what they made slaving away. But the checks will dry up soon and it will be back to business.

Should be sooner rather than later for real.
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #22
CoolestBrotha56  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11787 11 K  Slaps total: 1829 1 K
Didn’t they wanna replace people with Robots?
I think most people would rather cook at home after a year of basically being stuck in the house.
+5   

4 weeks ago '21        #23
Tlatoani 
Props total: 6641 6 K  Slaps total: 1486 1 K
One thing to note is that even if the minimum wage is raised to $15 a hour, we still won't be producing enough skilled laborers and professionals to scale back how many foreigners we have to import.

There are simply too many American adults looking for good paying jobs with no skills or qualifications, and no desire to work hard for SOME pay.

I'm curious to see how many people who got to reap the benefits of extra unemployment actually used the time off and capital to level up.
+4   

4 weeks ago '10        #24
AmazinJay 
Props total: 2734 2 K  Slaps total: 393 393
 jsmooth-117 said

Man! I do the Amazon Flex gig as a side hustle and I make at least 20-25/ hr picking up/dropping off deliveries. I don't even need the money but it's a helluva gig to side hustle or make somewhat of a living if that's all you're doing. And you work whatever shift you choose.
+3   

4 weeks ago '16        #25
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 96699 96 K  Slaps total: 18038 18 K
 DamianDragunov said

Lazy is lazy...
I know you think you smart n mature. Pat yourself on the back if thats what you have to do, but mf is out here swan diving off forklifts for workers comp
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  30
UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler
708 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+37online now  25
Video inside Hassan campbell almost had to turn someone tv off in bronx river
215 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+161online now  24
Kyrie: "I can't concentrate on Basketball" - Talks Palestinian Oppression..
266 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+30online now  23
Video inside May 15 - ISRAEL BEGINS DEPORTING BLACK AMERICAN HEBREWS
239 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy