Apr 21 - netflix chopped off 10%.....new subscribers fell 2 million short

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+32  84
117 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '09        #1
2144 page views
66 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x62
Props total: 221889 221 K  Slaps total: 24930 24 K
Apr 21 - netflix chopped off 10%.....new subscribers fell 2 million short

visit this link https://nypost.com/2021/0 .. rs-fall-short/

Shares of Netflix were walloped on Tuesday after the company said it added 4 million net subscribers globally in the first three months of the year, falling short of Wall Street’s expectations of 6.2 million new subscribers.

The streaming giant behind hit shows like “Bridgerton,” “Cobra Kai” and “Big Mouth,” disappointed investors further when it said it expected to add a mere one million new subscribers in the second quarter, compared with the more than 10 million subscribers it added during the same period last year when nationwide lockdowns first took hold.

The stock dropped more than 10 percent in late trading — placing the stock in official correction territory. Shares recently traded down 9.95 percent to $494.88 a share.

The Los Gatos, Calif., company founded by Reed Hastings blamed pandemic-related production delays in Hollywood as well as heightened streaming competition for the first quarter slowdown.

“We believe paid membership growth slowed due to the big Covid-19 pull forward in 2020 and a lighter content slate in the first half of this year, due to Covid-19 production delays,” Netflix said in a letter to shareholders

The streaming giant in January announced it had ended 2020 with a record 204 million worldwide subscribers as demand for streaming videos soared — thanks to pandemic-related lockdowns that shuttered most other forms of entertainment.

At the time, Netflix warned that demand for its services could slow as the economy reopened and said it expected to log about 6 million new subscribers in the first quarter.

The company Tuesday said the pullback was steeper than anticipated, but predicted the demand will pick back up in the second half of 2021 as shows and movies delayed due to the pandemic start getting released.

Despite the disappointing subscriber numbers, the company reported a quarterly profit of $1.71 billion, or $3.75 a share, an increase of 140.7 percent over the year-earlier period as overall subs continue to trend higher. Revenue rose 24.2 percent to $7.16 billion from $6.64 billion.

Netflix had forecast $1.36 billion in net income and $7.13 billion in revenue for the period, while Wall Street was looking for EPS of $2.97 on sales of $7.13 billion.

Aside from the pandemic, which slowed Netflix’s machine-like pipeline of new movies and TV shows, the streamer also implemented other changes that may have contributed to its subscriber slowdown. In October, Netflix hiked the monthly price of its most popular streaming plan by a buck to $13.99 a month, and its premium offering by 2 bucks to $17.99 a month.

While Netflix amped up its prices, new competitors looking to gain customers with value-driven offers. Services such as Disney+, which costs $8 a month, can be bundled with Hulu and ESPN+ for just $14 a month, for example. Meanwhile, newer services like Paramount+ and Discovery Plus, not only offer free trials, but also a ton of exclusive content and original shows.

Netflix has also been cracking down on password sharing. Last month, the company began testing password enforcement to keep users from sharing their accounts
+2   

best
worst
66 comments

3 weeks ago '09        #2
WasabiTuna 
Props total: 13741 13 K  Slaps total: 1742 1 K
Amazons and Disney’s originals have been k*lling them the past year.
+30   

3 weeks ago '12        #3
Di Warlord 
Props total: 24515 24 K  Slaps total: 1400 1 K
I cut my Netflix off a few weeks ago

I got 1.5 TB of legally acquired movies & tv shows on the external

plus I got that Spotify Student account, which gives you Hulu and Showtime

too many damn streaming services out and if you get some combination of most of them, you minus well be paying for cable, especially if you got a fam smh
+20   

3 weeks ago '11        #4
PotheadFocker 
Props total: 27735 27 K  Slaps total: 3258 3 K
 Di Warlord said

too many damn streaming services out and if you get some combination of most of them, you minus well be paying for cable, especially if you got a fam smh
Cable can be $120 or more. I get hbo max, Hulu, Disney+ espn+ for around 25 bucks. Borrow my moms Netflix. Saving a crisp hundo per month is where it’s at. fu*k these corporations
+23   

3 weeks ago '16        #5
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 72142 72 K  Slaps total: 9815 9 K
 Di Warlord said

Y'all better share that sh*t. My mom pays for cable so me and lil bro can get on there through the streaming apps on our TVs(like the ones for individual channels). I got the Netflix + HBO Max. Little bro handles the Hulu/ESPN+/Showtime.

And probably none of us watch 10 hours of TV a week outside of maybe live sports

But for real Netflix's long term outlook doesn't look great. Their competitors are starting to take their food, they can't license the big properties they used to because the companies with legacy IP are starting their own streaming platforms, and their own IP is hit or miss. Netflix was smart to start investing in producing lots of their own IP years before they really needed to because that is going to become the cornerstone of their selling point in the next 5-10 years and their success depends on it. They'll still be the top dog for a while but whether they can amplify their production of top-tier IP is the key to whether or not they can sustain here and abroad.

They have real competition now, with decades and decades more top-tier IP than they do.

Last edited by Boogersugar; 04-21-2021 at 04:11 PM..
+10   

3 weeks ago '12        #6
Superstarbrown7  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17188 17 K  Slaps total: 1632 1 K
Mindhunters and ozark is the only thing I watch on Netflix so
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #7
nitetrain8601  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 12089 12 K  Slaps total: 2187 2 K
No Narcos or Ozark in over a year. The streets is hungry fam and they ain’t feeding. Time to bounce my dog.
+23   

3 weeks ago '09        #8
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x62 OP
Props total: 221889 221 K  Slaps total: 24930 24 K
more trash on these streaming regimes just ensures that piracy still rules
+13   

3 weeks ago '11        #9
illprem  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 3561 3 K  Slaps total: 168 168
they have the same old shows and movies that left the air/theaters a decade+ ago, and the same uninspired documentaries that re-tell stories everyone's heard 20 times before...gonna need something a bit more compelling to get those subscribers. occasionally netflix has cool stuff but it's few and far between
+9   

3 weeks ago '07        #10
Cartel-Clipz 
Props total: 77096 77 K  Slaps total: 4691 4 K
Gonna cut my accounts soon. fu*kers stay raising their prices
+9   

3 weeks ago '15        #11
gemini8686  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 27703 27 K  Slaps total: 7513 7 K
I wanna see the new resident evil and atypical season 3. After that I might cancel
+3   

3 weeks ago '11        #12
Darealness420 
Props total: 1343 1 K  Slaps total: 860 860
Probably because of bx’s critically acclaimed movie “cuties”

3 weeks ago '19        #13
drnarcisse 
Props total: 6458 6 K  Slaps total: 931 931
 Di Warlord said

yo
i need a link. where can i get that bobby brown movie . hook a brother up

3 weeks ago '11        #14
PotheadFocker 
Props total: 27735 27 K  Slaps total: 3258 3 K
 Darealness420 said
The president eats babies

3 weeks ago '14        #15
BasedGawd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 20977 20 K  Slaps total: 3146 3 K
 Darealness420 said
I unsubscribed from Netflix for good after that bullsh*t.
+3   

3 weeks ago '05        #16
Fauby  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31199 31 K  Slaps total: 3384 3 K
How many new subscriptions do shareholders think they can get month after month tho?

Like I understand it but at a certain point, it's gonna plateau
+11   

3 weeks ago '06        #17
bigkilla 
Props total: 30510 30 K  Slaps total: 4441 4 K
 Fauby said
How many new subscriptions do shareholders think they can get month after month tho?

Like I understand it but at a certain point, it's gonna plateau
I think it's them putting pressure on Netflix to cut down on account sharing.

They know adding millions of accounts month over month is damn near impossible at the pace they expect.. or at the very least I hope they know that.

But if they get Netflix to cut down on account sharing they could skyrocket the subscriptions.

3 weeks ago '16        #18
elblocchoe 
Props total: 2081 2 K  Slaps total: 320 320
been mids for awhile now
+3   

3 weeks ago '17        #19
DavidTheMan 
Props total: 14936 14 K  Slaps total: 8946 8 K
Netflix's last show was Tiger King.
They spent all that money on hollywood productions, for sh*t movies.
I've told people that Netflix is on borrowed time and poised to collapse, and folks said I'm hating. SMH.

Foreign subscribers was the only thing keeping them going, US subscribers had stopped, and them pushing that agenda heavy in all their originals, on top of just putting out dog sh*t, sealed the deal for them.
+8   

3 weeks ago '19        #20
Anomic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 69080 69 K  Slaps total: 10687 10 K
Netflix exclusives been a*s while other mfs dropping heat and the pandemic got mfs cutting they losses and.......... piracy
+2   

3 weeks ago '18        #21
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 57586 57 K  Slaps total: 4651 4 K
Netflix just has to ride this out causeost of these streaming services are going to fade out.
+1   

3 weeks ago '19        #22
ITL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 2533 2 K  Slaps total: 285 285
Good - Netflix has been putting out trash for over a year and has the nerve to raise their prices.

I’m on that Kodi sh*t, fu*k em
+6   

3 weeks ago '20        #23
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 50436 50 K  Slaps total: 2734 2 K
Netflix been trash the last couple years movie wise.

I don’t really watch TV series that much so I can’t speak on that but movies it’s like 1 in 10 is actually good.

3 weeks ago '15        #24
lil thou wow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22911 22 K  Slaps total: 3367 3 K
That Kanye doc about to bring the streets back

Ozark droppin

I dont watch Netflix I use my in law pass
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #25
M Jizzle1986 
Props total: 6481 6 K  Slaps total: 390 390
 PotheadFocker said
Cable can be $120 or more. I get hbo max, Hulu, Disney+ espn+ for around 25 bucks. Borrow my moms Netflix. Saving a crisp hundo per month is where it’s at. fu*k these corporations
I hear ya. But how much are you paying for internet by itself?

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+87online now  22
Image(s) inside Post A Pic of the Woman You With Right Now. Let's rate 1-10.
818 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+150online now  10
Migos - Straightnin (Hard) Official Music Video
151 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+83online now  6
Image(s) inside J. Cole - The Off Season Official Tracklist/Producers/Thread
556 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+69online now  3
Wildddd! Gaza journalist captures clear footage of bombings literally right ne..
130 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy