Vanessa Bryant ends Kobe’s Nike connection in frustration

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section gear

4 weeks ago '16        #1
4072 page views
56 comments

Ghostface Killa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20555 20 K  Slaps total: 3971 3 K
Vanessa Bryant ends Kobe’s Nike connection in frustration

Vanessa Bryant hinted at a contentious breakup with Nike in a statement following news that Kobe Bryant’s estate chose not to renew its partnership with the brand.

“Kobe’s Nike contract expired on 4/13/21,” Vanessa, widow of the Lakers legend — who died in a helicopter crash on Jan. 26, 2020, along with the couple’s 13-year-old daughter Gianna “Gigi” Bryant — told ESPN on Monday.

Later in her statement, Vanessa, who leads Kobe Bryant’s estate, added, “I was hoping to forge a lifelong partnership with Nike that reflects my husband’s legacy. We will always do everything we can to honor Kobe and Gigi’s legacies. That will never change.”

Sources told the outlet that Vanessa and the estate were discouraged with Nike over a lack of products after his retirement and death, including a lack of sneakers in kids sizes.

Vanessa had previously vented about the lack of the Kobe 6 Protro “Grinch” — which was released on Christmas Eve and immediately sold out — in an Instagram post last year.

On Dec. 23, she shared a message to her Instagram Stories, letting fans know that she had reached out to Nike to come up with a plan to make the shoes more widely available.

NHLI via Getty Images
Sources told ESPN the contract renewal offered the estate was not up to the standards that were set with the lifetime deals that Michael Jordan and LeBron James received.

Kobe initially signed with Nike back in 2003, and later negotiated a five-year “post-retirement” deal following his final NBA game on April 13, 2016.

While it’s unclear what the Lakers legend’s estate will do next, it’s believed that all future releases of Kobe Bryant-branded footwear and apparel manufactured by Nike will be stopped, with a partnership with a new brand likely.

“Kobe Bryant was an important part of Nike’s deep connection to consumers. He pushed us and made everyone around him better. Though our contractual relationship has ended, he remains a deeply loved member of the Nike family,” Nike told ESPN in a statement.

Despite the end of an era between Kobe and Nike, Vanessa said her “hope will always be to allow Kobe’s fans to get and wear his products.

Nike sneakers featuring a tribute to Kobe and Gianna Bryant at the 2020 All-Star Game
Nike sneakers featuring a tribute to Kobe and Gianna Bryant at the 2020 All-Star Game
Getty Images
“I will continue to f*ght for that. Kobe’s products sell out in seconds. That says everything.”

Earlier this month, it was announced that Michael Jordan will induct Bryant into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, with the induction ceremony taking place on May 15 at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Jordan, who referred to Bryant as his “little brother” in a tearful eulogy after his death, was close friends with Kobe on and off the court.

The ceremony is expecting an in-person attendance of 50 Hall of Famers, including all presenters. It’s unclear if Bryant’s widow and their kids, Natalia, 18, Bianka, 4, and Capri, who turns 2 in June, will attend.

Nike been dropping a lot of bags. Seem like they think they're bigger than they are. Adidas on that a*s. They better tighten up image
+56   

best
worst
56 comments

4 weeks ago '04        #2
Dash 
Props total: 82344 82 K  Slaps total: 6279 6 K
No offense but Adidas ain’t close. All they got is Ye

But speaking of Kobe’s

I’ve decided not to sell tho, keep em DS forever

RIH bean & baby mamba . Miss that dude.

+50   

4 weeks ago '04        #3
Haitian Monsta 
Props total: 780 780  Slaps total: 13 13
 Dash said

But speaking of Kobe’s

And when you see that stockx picture after reading the article. You can clearly see why she decided to cut ties. Resellers getting 90% of the stock, while the fans of Kobe don't even have access to them.

All the posthumous releases have been instant sellouts with low stock. I get production issues with covid. But if the stock levels were at least carmine and raging bull levels it wouldn't have been so bad.
+68   

4 weeks ago '21        #4
nodayzoffatl  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 5387 5 K  Slaps total: 678 678
 Ghostface k*lla said
Nike been dropping a lot of bags. Seem like they think they're bigger than they are. Adidas on that a*s. They better tighten up
real sh*t tho this might be the move to help push noke to stop creating a false sense of demand with limited release/ in. combo with scalpers and bots k*lling their drops

Im glad and she's right. They aint dropping no kobes (none you can actuall buy) and lets be real if they drop some new mambas under adidas or reebok IM STILL COPPIN

fu*k NIKE
+16   

4 weeks ago '16        #5
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 32111 32 K  Slaps total: 3612 3 K
Well that sucks for Kobe fans.

4 weeks ago '15        #6
Preacher Mane  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 55462 55 K  Slaps total: 3587 3 K
I love Nike but I’m beginning to understand why Deion, Kanye and now Kobe left them.
+43   

4 weeks ago '15        #7
Mickey Ganja 
Props total: 5726 5 K  Slaps total: 1261 1 K
Adidas the only option
+2   

4 weeks ago '13        #8
North!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 101547 101 K  Slaps total: 9949 9 K
 Preacher Mane said
I love Nike but I’m beginning to understand why Deion, Kanye and now Kobe left them.
Nike caters to hypebeasts and living off its name

Nike hasn’t made a dope pair of kicks Recently outside of maybe 270s
+28   

4 weeks ago '16        #9
drizz 
Props total: 4237 4 K  Slaps total: 1074 1 K
Under armour kobes coming soon

4 weeks ago '20        #10
Ninjahood 
Props total: 344 344  Slaps total: 39 39
 North!!! said
Nike caters to hypebeasts and living off its name
Ehh... wouldn't say that...Nike knows their consumer, and are self aware when it comes to marketing and catering to their ethos...

Like others have said before Nike will simply De-Logo Kobe sneakers and release them anyway..
+4   

4 weeks ago '19        #11
FrivolousSports 
Props total: 61822 61 K  Slaps total: 12429 12 K
 Mickey Ganja said
Adidas the only option
You can't tell me these not fire

4 weeks ago '15        #12
Mickey Ganja 
Props total: 5726 5 K  Slaps total: 1261 1 K
 FrivolousSports said
You can't tell me these not fire

+41   

4 weeks ago '10        #13
pacman45  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 23098 23 K  Slaps total: 741 741
fu*k nike for continuing to make his sh*t limited after he passed.

Funny how these resellers just read this and just thought about profit immediately. Yall just as foul.
+42   

4 weeks ago '06        #14
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 20895 20 K  Slaps total: 4383 4 K
Nike is really starting to p*ss me off. Sloppy a*s releases, their SNKRS app is a*s, they purposely make shoes super limited so not many people have them or only resellers do....
+29   

4 weeks ago '12        #15
Superstarbrown7  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17192 17 K  Slaps total: 1633 1 K
Wasn’t he supposed to do his own brand before he died
+10   

4 weeks ago '04        #16
youngmec 
Props total: 2115 2 K  Slaps total: 243 243
Nike dropped the fu*king ball on this. Big Time.
+17   

4 weeks ago '07        #17
JohnDoe 
Props total: 12527 12 K  Slaps total: 1990 1 K
 Haitian Monsta said
And when you see that stockx picture after reading the article. You can clearly see why she decided to cut ties. Resellers getting 90% of the stock, while the fans of Kobe don't even have access to them.

All the posthumous releases have been instant sellouts with low stock. I get production issues with covid. But if the stock levels were at least carmine and raging bull levels it wouldn't have been so bad.

Sources told the outlet that Vanessa and the estate were discouraged with Nike over a lack of products after his retirement and death, including a lack of sneakers in kids sizes.

as a sneaker head who takes L after L on SNKRS, she's doing Gods work.
+34   

4 weeks ago '21        #18
 Dash said

But speaking of Kobe’s

last time i checked these were going for like $800...but im not selling. Just took this pic

Last edited by nodayzoffatl; 04-21-2021 at 08:09 PM..
+2   

4 weeks ago '19        #19
Jwin 
Props total: 2868 2 K  Slaps total: 337 337
Stopped rocking Nikes in 2012 or so. Sold all my sh*t. It’s a garbage company that’s ran with a high level of arrogance. I hear they treat employees bad, retailers, and possible rumors of racism over the years too. New Balance. Vans, Puma, and sometimes Adidas for me. You will respect my dollar.
+16   

4 weeks ago '08        #20
MrFourteen5 
Props total: 18459 18 K  Slaps total: 895 895
I might let em go

+7   

4 weeks ago '21        #21
sorry think i double posted but... last time i checked these were going for like $800...but im not selling either

+12   

4 weeks ago '21        #22
 Jwin said
Stopped rocking Nikes in 2012 or so. Sold all my sh*t. It’s a garbage company that’s ran with a high level of arrogance. I hear they treat employees bad, retailers, and possible rumors of racism over the years too. New Balance. Vans, Puma, and sometimes Adidas for me. You will respect my dollar.

for how hard it is and how expensive to get a new drop. I started paying extra for gucci and ferragamo loafers and moccasins. They last a lot longer than sneakers anyway and even get a more refined look with creasing over the years.
+7   

4 weeks ago '21        #23
 Storchaveli said
Nike is really starting to p*ss me off. Sloppy a*s releases, their SNKRS app is a*s, they purposely make shoes super limited so not many people have them or only resellers do....
exactly my point i feel vanessa bryant. why release a kobe thru nike that only 200 ppl gonna actually get to cop
+3   

4 weeks ago '17        #24
HH080 
Props total: 1936 1 K  Slaps total: 141 141
 Dash said

But speaking of Kobe’s

Word might put mine in a hover display
+5   

4 weeks ago '21        #25
 pacman45 said
fu*k nike for continuing to make his sh*t limited after he passed.

Funny how these resellers just read this and just thought about profit immediately. Yall just as foul.
was wearing my playoff 13s the other day and some goofy a*s reseller (assuming) was like. "are those a new drop???!". Im like nah i just keep em clean and he actually said "AND YOU JUST WEAR THEM?"

Yesssss n*gga

I actually buy shoes i like and wear them sometimes unlike you vultures who ruined the culture for $200 profit
+20   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+37online now  44
Video inside Hassan campbell almost had to turn someone tv off in bronx river
224 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  31
UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler
711 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+32online now  18
Video inside May 15 - ISRAEL BEGINS DEPORTING BLACK AMERICAN HEBREWS
244 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+163online now  11
Kyrie: "I can't concentrate on Basketball" - Talks Palestinian Oppression..
268 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy