David Alan Grier Talks “Dad Stop Embarrassing Me,” Working With Jamie Foxx 30 Years

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
155 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

4 weeks ago '18        #1
859 page views
12 comments

Proffesor X  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 54375 54 K  Slaps total: 12915 12 K
David Alan Grier Talks “Dad Stop Embarrassing Me,” Working With Jamie Foxx 30 Years

David Alan Grier who plays Jamie Foxx‘s hilariously kooky father on “Dad Stop Embarrassing Me”–Netflix’s newest addition to its Black Sitcom Universe.

On the family-friendly series, successful business owner and bachelor Brian Dixon (Jamie Foxx) just became a full-time father to his teenage daughter Sasha (Kyla-Drew).

Determined to be the best father he can be, Brian’s going to need all the help he can get from his dad (David Alan Grier) and sister (Porscha Coleman) — and Sasha’s going to need all the help she can get learning how to deal with her new, lovingly chaotic household.

Full of heart and humor, “Dad Stop Embarrassing Me” reunites Foxx and Grier nearly 30 years after the two starred together on the iconic sketch show “In Living Color.”

“It was one of these very Hollywood things, we’d see each other once or twice a year, “Hey man, here’s my number, let’s work together,” recalled Grier.

Nothing ever really came of it until I get this call. Our lives are different now. I found a picture of us working on a sketch from back in the day. You look like you about 12. I look like I’m about 16. We were babies, man. So you come to it with a different point of view. First of all, I’m 64 years old.”

We caught up with the lovable legend who talked playing Jamie Foxx’s father, reconnecting with the multi-hyphenate star decades later, feeling wanted as an actor in Hollywood, and more in our essential interview you can watch below:

The multi-cam sitcom also reunites Foxx with showrunner Bentley Kyle Evans (The Jamie Foxx Show) and is directed by Ken Whittingham (“Black-ish”).

“Dad Stop Embarrassing Me” is now streaming on Netflix.

visit this link https://bossip.com/200836 .. -me-interview/
+5   

best
worst
12 comments

4 weeks ago '14        #2
DavidAames 
Props total: 23504 23 K  Slaps total: 1046 1 K
Dope!
+2   

4 weeks ago '06        #3
chrisf249 
Props total: 1071 1 K  Slaps total: 147 147
Crazy how David Allen Greer went from middle aged man to grandpa in all his movies. It happened overnight
+18   

4 weeks ago '07        #4
OVERLORD 
Props total: 17634 17 K  Slaps total: 5450 5 K
i like this show.

dad stop>>>>> one on one
+5   

4 weeks ago '04        #5
justinjones 
Props total: 38608 38 K  Slaps total: 1961 1 K
im glad he’s still getting work even those these shows are not working out longer than a couple of seasons
+8   

4 weeks ago '11        #6
BaseWhitaker 
Props total: 20884 20 K  Slaps total: 2347 2 K
 justinjones said
im glad he’s still getting work even those these shows are not working out longer than a couple of seasons
Carmichael Show is still one of my favorite comedies of All-Time and I know folks feel some type of way about Roseanne, but David was the Head Writer I believe and it was great. Before Roseanne went off and said that horribly racist sh*t that show was really funny, The Connors is solid without her, his writing is underrated the content he ties his name to he contributes heavily to.

My concern with generations younger than us is they grew up in front of these Apps and the internet being a Universe, unto itself. The youngins aren't going to know what the fu*k we are talking about with the GOAT TV Shows, cause when they were on, nothing was viral.
+4   

4 weeks ago '20        #7
adak31 
Props total: 9023 9 K  Slaps total: 303 303
 BaseWhitaker said
Carmichael Show is still one of my favorite comedies of All-Time and I know folks feel some type of way about Roseanne, but David was the Head Writer I believe and it was great. Before Roseanne went off and said that horribly racist sh*t that show was really funny, The Connors is solid without her, his writing is underrated the content he ties his name to he contributes heavily to.

My concern with generations younger than us is they grew up in front of these Apps and the internet being a Universe, unto itself. The youngins aren't going to know what the fu*k we are talking about with the GOAT TV Shows, cause when they were on, nothing was viral.
Dog I love the Carmichael show I still watch episodes weekly
+2   

4 weeks ago '07        #8
ptwist  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20426 20 K  Slaps total: 1701 1 K
I know some people think this beneath Jamie but he already did that one movie with Netflix and this. Jamie has a comfortable spot in Hollywood and getting an in with Netflix will work out great for him as the world converts away from the big screen.
+2   

4 weeks ago '07        #9
OVERLORD 
Props total: 17634 17 K  Slaps total: 5450 5 K
 ptwist said
I know some people think this beneath Jamie but he already did that one movie with Netflix and this. Jamie has a comfortable spot in Hollywood and getting an in with Netflix will work out great for him as the world converts away from the big screen.
He literally name dropped project power in one of the episodes lol
+1   

4 weeks ago '04        #10
youngsiz 
Props total: 6717 6 K  Slaps total: 1135 1 K
 ptwist said
Nah it’s actually that Netflix is setting it’s self up to be a movie distributor like paramount or universal. They are doing the same thing that’s why you see so many projects by major film artists. For example because Jamie did project power for Netflix, Netflix finances his smaller budget tv show pitch that was more than likely struggling to get picked up by a network. Win win for both
+1   

4 weeks ago '18        #11
Capodecina  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22168 22 K  Slaps total: 1662 1 K
Good to see the brother still at his craft.

+2   

4 weeks ago '14        #12
Renny9387 
Props total: 5346 5 K  Slaps total: 220 220

4 weeks ago '11        #13
ricengravy 
Props total: 3292 3 K  Slaps total: 269 269
David Allen Grier playing his dad? he cant be that much older than Jaime Fox

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+89online now  36