Apple Music Says Artists & Labels Make A Penny Per Stream On Average

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+19  423
313 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section hiphop

3 weeks ago '18        #1
2717 page views
70 comments

Proffesor X  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 54257 54 K  Slaps total: 12895 12 K
Apple Music Says Artists & Labels Make A Penny Per Stream On Average

The streaming platform is an industry leader in streaming-service payouts.

The switch to digital consumption of music changed a lot for the music industry. As physical copies of albums have become less popular and streaming has become the primary source of listening, artists have had to depend on touring and other things to make a reasonable amount of cash in their careers.

Spotify has come under fire numerous times by artists for the measly payouts a*sociated with its platform. Apple Music has notably taken a more firm stance in ensuring artists get their fair share of coins, recently explaining they pay artists and labels an average of a penny per stream as they believe in, “the value of music and paying creators fairly for their work.”

In a letter shared to their artist dashboard last week, the company explained the payouts a*sociated with their streaming platform. “While royalties from streaming services are calculated on a stream share basis, a play still has a value,” the letter read. “This value varies by subscription plan and country but averaged $0.01 for Apple Music individual paid plans in 2020. This includes label and publisher royalties.”

The company adds in the letter that it pays the same 52% headline rate to all labels, the same headline rate for all compositions, and do not pay a lower rate in exchange for featuring. As explained by Variety, “In the letter, Apple says it pays 52 percent of subscription revenue, or 52 cents of every dollar, to record labels. Spotify, which generates revenue both from subscriptions and its free ad-supported tier, says it pays ‚…” of every dollar of revenue to rights holders...

"...with 75 percent to 80 percent of that going to labels, which translates to 50 to 53 cents on the dollar, depending on agreements between the service and different labels.” Following the latter from Apple, the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers demanded more transparency from services, noting that Apple Music's payout methods are “doable for streaming companies, including Spotify which currently averages $0.0038 per stream.”

“If Apple can pay a penny per stream, then Spotify can too,” the union wrote in a second tweet. “We also know that paying a penny per stream is only a starting point to righting the wrong of the streaming economy. This adjustment alone will not make the music industry sufficiently equitable or fair.” Spotify has previously explained on its Loud&Clear website launched dedicated to helping artists explain their payment methods and why they don't believe in a "per-stream rate."

“Still, we understand that artists find it useful to calculate an effective “per stream” rate or, in other words, a revenue-to-streams ratio — dividing the total size of the royalty pool on Spotify (the numerator) by the total number of music streams on Spotify (the denominator),” the site read. “Both of these numbers are growing incredibly quickly every year.”
-------
In short just as artist were finding a way to get money for themselves through the digital format, these c*cksuckers have found an even better way to fu*k them over for literal pennies on the dollar

And what's sad is they don't get anywhere close to penny per stream, the most any company pays is .01284 (which is Tidal)

Napster
$0.019 per stream

Tidal
$0.01284 per stream

Apple Music
$0.00783 per stream

Deezer
$0.0064 per stream

Spotify
$0.00437 per stream

Amazon
$0.00402 per stream

Pandora
$0.00133 per stream

YouTube
$0.0.00069 per view

visit this link https://www.hotnewhiphop. .. ws.130550.html

Last edited by Proffesor X; 04-21-2021 at 07:13 AM..
+16   

best
worst
70 comments

3 weeks ago '04        #2
NahLij  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 35455 35 K  Slaps total: 2351 2 K
Going by that, Tidal pays a small percentage over a penny at $.01284

I was listening to a podcast where an independent artist was saying years ago before streaming took over he would do maybe 30k in sales and make some decent bread. Now if he gets those same 30k people to stream he's not making burger money. Streaming g is convenient for us as consumers but that sh*t is a racket.
+34   

3 weeks ago '11        #3
Sinamatik CFR  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 43602 43 K  Slaps total: 4149 4 K
nothing new... its like stock market/crypto increments!

thats why there's stream farms these artists and labels enlist to keep them numbers fluffed and pockets stuffed!

A lot of these n*ggas don't have fans, we just spectators at the circus... imagine how many n*ggas wouldn't be around if gimmicks didn't sell... Most fans buy into these n*ggas dysfunctions and celebrate it because it resonates with their own, not because they are talented!
+48   

3 weeks ago '07        #4
strongthetruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 21390 21 K  Slaps total: 5577 5 K
 NahLij said
Going by that, Tidal pays a small percentage over a penny at $.01284

I was listening to a podcast where an independent artist was saying years ago before streaming took over he would do maybe 30k in sales and make some decent bread. Now if he gets those same 30k people to stream he's not making burger money. Streaming g is convenient for us as consumers but that sh*t is a racket.
Actually appreciate streaming more because it’s more consumer friendly. I bought so many albums as a kid because of singles and the album ended being trash as a whole. CD’s were around $15 tapes around $10. If I stream a song/songs from an album 1,500 times that’s $15 for the artist. When you listen to music everyday 1,500 streams doesn’t take very long to reach.
+22   

3 weeks ago '16        #5
metro6  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 22232 22 K  Slaps total: 11132 11 K
+2   

3 weeks ago '07        #6
strongthetruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 21390 21 K  Slaps total: 5577 5 K
Also a lot people went from bootlegging music to paying at least $120 per year to stream music. That’s money they definitely wouldn’t be getting from me if streaming didn’t come along and be so convenient. My sole reason for signing up for this site years ago was to bootleg music
+48   

3 weeks ago '18        #7
HoopLife88 
Props total: 30379 30 K  Slaps total: 4096 4 K
Have never and will never buy a digital album or song.
+3   

3 weeks ago '04        #8
Skilllz 
Props total: 20057 20 K  Slaps total: 1977 1 K
Only n*ggaz making money off streaming is dudes doing Drake & Future numbers

the game shifted

the focus now should be on building an audience instead of selling records

it's truly the only way to survive as an indie artist

I miss buying records/cds and going to the record store, man. It was a community thing. Wish my city wasn't full of corporates herbs, man. There's like one or two record stores left in the city.

Last edited by Skilllz; 04-21-2021 at 12:29 PM..
+13   

3 weeks ago '05        #9
Dun Language  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 94197 94 K  Slaps total: 25803 25 K
Broke a*s n*ggas
+3   

3 weeks ago '20        #10
Its Dark At 9  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 15481 15 K  Slaps total: 1956 1 K
and is this info supposed to discourage any up & coming rapper?

Obvi keeping CD's & Vinyl pressed is essential outside of the digital bc a physical is an antique in that sense. I say do what you do. I'm not sh*tting on nobody's dreams at this point of my life. Or tell them some lies about people being "lucky" to get on when they played the game and put in the work to get in the frame.
+6   

3 weeks ago '20        #11
Its Dark At 9  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 15481 15 K  Slaps total: 1956 1 K
n*ggaz got pennies b4 the streaming. Some people got fu*ked and some didn't
+5   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '19        #12
Anomic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 69171 69 K  Slaps total: 10704 10 K
 Its Dark At 9 said

Obvi keeping CD's & Vinyl pressed is essential outside of the digital bc a physical is an antique in that sense. I say do what you do. I'm not sh*tting on nobody's dreams at this point of my life. Or tell them some lies about people being "lucky" to get on when they played the game and put in the work to get in the frame.
Vinyl makes the most.

CDs and Cassette collector's editions sell hella lower than vinyl
+4   

3 weeks ago '16        #13
ELAH MENTAT 
Props total: 18401 18 K  Slaps total: 1303 1 K
 strongthetruth said
Actually appreciate streaming more because itís more consumer friendly. I bought so many albums as a kid because of singles and the album ended being trash as a whole. CDís were around $15 tapes around $10. If I stream a song/songs from an album 1,500 times thatís $15 for the artist. When you listen to music everyday 1,500 streams doesnít take very long to reach.
Bruh...

256 x 15 minimum...

n*ggas could have made interest and had a nest egg many times over...
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #14
Bigboi781  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 17302 17 K  Slaps total: 5690 5 K
This board cares so much about everything other than music. Like who cares? You guys are more upset about this than the artists themselves because none of them care. When will this board actually talk about music
+3   

3 weeks ago '21        #15
Justin Igore 
Props total: 2219 2 K  Slaps total: 465 465
They never tell you how artists were only making like .10 per sale before but make .01 sound like slavery.

I like streaming. Less money in it but it’s good for making some change if you don’t have real fans... actual people that buy into your brand.

You cant compare 50K sales to 50K streams because it’s not the same.
+4   

3 weeks ago '13        #16
uoeno  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 47639 47 K  Slaps total: 9521 9 K
they should use streaming as a tool to get discovered, and then focus on merch and shows for the real $$

them booking fees are high for a lot of artists
+3   

3 weeks ago '04        #17
skillahmang 
Props total: 45433 45 K  Slaps total: 9693 9 K
#tidal

Lol & napster back in the mix

Napster & there are many examples of this (marijuana industry etc)

Never trust what the world you are livin in thinks about certain things.

This sh*t more malleable than we think.

Napster supp ruined the industry. Then the industry sold their soul to a bunch of baby napsters. FOH!

Last edited by skillahmang; 04-21-2021 at 01:21 PM..
+8   

3 weeks ago '16        #18
Forza Nocta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 15815 15 K  Slaps total: 3036 3 K
Unless your name was Michael Jackson or is currently Drake you're not gonna be eating from sales/streams like that bruh. Most artists make their money from touring and merch. I thought people knew this.
+7   

3 weeks ago '13        #19
EZ Green 
Props total: 65443 65 K  Slaps total: 8681 8 K
q tip said "rule 4080 is record company people are shadyyy" in 1991....

...yet here we are in 2021

LEARN
+3   

3 weeks ago '16        #20
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 96574 96 K  Slaps total: 18032 18 K
wrong thread

3 weeks ago '20        #21
Chozen  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13326 13 K  Slaps total: 2089 2 K
 skillahmang said
#tidal

Lol & napster back in the mix

Napster & there are many examples of this (marijuana industry etc)

Never trust what the world you are livin in thinks about certain things.

This sh*t more mailable than we think.

Napster supp ruined the industry. Then the industry sold their soul to a bunch of baby napsters. FOH!

3 weeks ago '20        #22
D0llarB1ll 
Props total: 728 728  Slaps total: 89 89
Artist need to evolve with the times and stop thinking like it’s still the 90’s. Your entire game plan now has to be around touring, merch and other revenue streams. Personally I think streaming is a much more democratic process and I love it. You know how many artists sh*t flopped back in the day because some label nerd chose the wrong single.. smh.

As an artist, focus on the work and let the product talk for itself.

And while I’m at it, fu*k billboard, once again, those sales equivalent metrics are all bullsh*t.
+7   

3 weeks ago '21        #23
BigRod43 
Props total: 163 163  Slaps total: 8 8
 Its Dark At 9 said

It is discouraging tho. It shouldn't be that way, but that's the game. I guess.

3 weeks ago '05        #24
BurninLz 
Props total: 11876 11 K  Slaps total: 756 756
considering some artists used to get cents on $16 CDs this isn't as bad in comparison. Still pretty awful and the music industry is full of snakes but over the last decade there's been a massive shift in artists going independent, fully owning their own masters, and simply having the tools to build their own brands and labels from the ground up via tools like social media. The real money is in touring, merchandise, and monetizing yourself online.. The streams are just icing on the cake

Last edited by BurninLz; 04-21-2021 at 12:53 PM..
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #25
Bigboi781  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 17302 17 K  Slaps total: 5690 5 K
 Justin Igore said
They never tell you how artists were only making like .10 per sale before but make .01 sound like slavery.

I like streaming. Less money in it but itís good for making some change if you donít have real fans... actual people that buy into your brand.

You cant compare 50K sales to 50K streams because itís not the same.
There's more money in streaming lmao. 1000 streams equals 1 sale.

So let's put the numbers in play, Lil Baby's My Turn streamed 3.9 BILLION times last year. a*suming a .01 payout per stream, that's $39,000,000. Why do you think an artist like Youngboy literally said he doesn't have to do shows? Because there are a million ways to make money- streams, shows, NFTs, merch, etc.

Again this board is weird, people here care about sales and how much an artist is making over actual music discussion. Artists don't even care that much
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+53online now  20
Gentrifying Black Culture
96 comments
24 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+29online now  13
May 14 - Senate Commitee CONFIRMS animals kept dying during COV19 Vax trials...
84 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  12
Juicy J buys safemoon !!!!
64 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+90online now  11
Curry family exposed as Zionists