Which actress would you say is Meryl Streep's Black equivalent??

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+34  135
41 replies  @wild'ish

most viewed right now
-38  131
145 replies  @sports

most viewed right now
51 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

3 weeks ago '20        #1
1112 page views
29 comments

MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 6795 6 K  Slaps total: 703 703
Which actress would you say is Meryl Streep's Black equivalent??

I know there are a lot of people that consider Streep to be the greatest living actress. While she is talented, a lot of that has to do with the opportunities provided to her to showcase her range and skill. She has A LOT of work to reference. I definitely do think there are Black actresses out there that are just as talented but just haven't been given the same opportunities and there is very little to pull from and very little substantial work to reference.

Viola Davis seems like the obvious choice of today's working actresses and she seems to be building up a nice little diverse catalog of work for herself.
+9   

best
worst
29 comments

3 weeks ago '04        #2
1000bluntz 
Props total: 32317 32 K  Slaps total: 7752 7 K
Frances McDormand is better than Meryl Streep if you ask me. As for your question I have no clue.
+5   

3 weeks ago '20        #3
MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 1000bluntz said
Frances McDormand is better than Meryl Streep if you ask me. As for your question I have no clue.
Funny you say that.

Word on the street is that there was once a legendary actress named Katharine Hepburn, who couldn't stand Streep. Lol. Said Streep was her least favorite actress of the modern era and everything. But Bette Davis was a known Streep admirer.

I can see why people think Streep is overhyped, though. But, she's definitely skilled.
+4   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
1000bluntz 
Props total: 32317 32 K  Slaps total: 7752 7 K
 MrDarkCloud said
Funny you say that.

Word on the street is that there was once a legendary actress named Katharine Hepburn, who couldn't stand Streep. Lol. Said Streep was her least favorite actress of the modern era and everything. But Bette Davis was a known Streep admirer.

I can see why people think Streep is overhyped, though. But, she's definitely skilled.
She’s definitely very good but I like the part McDormand played in Fargo far more than anything I’ve ever seen Streep in and in general I like the movies she chooses to be in more than what Streep does.
+2   

3 weeks ago '17        #5
bmf24eva  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 14641 14 K  Slaps total: 4208 4 K
A respectable answer that the majority of the world would/will say (when they dont say Viola Davis)....

The right answer to those who actually know what the fu*k they talking about...

+19   

2 weeks ago '04        #6
!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 106042 106 K  Slaps total: 17504 17 K
They're really isn't one only because of how highly regarded Streep is. Streep is regarded by many as the best actor ever regardless of gender or race. She's dominated awards and nominations the way Serena Williams dominates woman's tennis with all the majors she's won. Serena is just way ahead of the rest of the field. So is Streep.
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #7
Pythagoras 
Props total: 34897 34 K  Slaps total: 7435 7 K
 !!! said
They're really isn't one only because of how highly regarded Streep is. Streep is regarded by many as the best actor ever regardless of gender or race. She's dominated awards and nominations the way Serena Williams dominates woman's tennis with all the majors she's won. Serena is just way ahead of the rest of the field. So is Streep.
They don't give those awards to black ppl. Don't compare her to Serena. Serena wins in objective competition not some subjective award.

Anyway, Viola Davis for me.
+6   

2 weeks ago '04        #8
 Pythagoras said
They don't give those awards to black ppl. Don't compare her to Serena. Serena wins in objective competition not some subjective award.

Anyway, Viola Davis for me.
There's been a good number of black Oscar winners. Probably not enough but it's getting better. A week from today we could see Viola Davis win her second Oscar and Daniel Kaluuya win his first.

Guys like Kaluuya, Aldis Hodge, LaKeith Stanfield are gonna run sh*t soon.

2 weeks ago '20        #9
MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 !!! said
True. I guess this goes back to the fact that she has just had a lot of opportunities. Her catalog of work is insane. There's a lot of diversity there and so much to reference.

I really wonder how someone like Angela Bassett, who is definitely just as talented, would have thrived if quality leading roles for Black actresses weren't such a rarity.
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #10
 MrDarkCloud said
True. I guess this goes back to the fact that she has just had a lot of opportunities. Her catalog of work is insane. There's a lot of diversity there and so much to reference.

I really wonder how someone like Angela Bassett, who is definitely just as talented, would have thrived if quality leading roles for Black actresses weren't such a rarity.
If Streep and Bassett were young in todays Hollywood I would imagine they'd be 1A and 1B in the field.
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #11
CJ Schwarz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 56321 56 K  Slaps total: 3541 3 K
Yeah its Viola Davis. She seems to nominated every award season.
+3   

2 weeks ago '06        #12
dagreat1_87 
Props total: 15457 15 K  Slaps total: 729 729
honestly Viola Davis immediately came to mind when I saw the title
+5   

2 weeks ago '16        #13
2advanced  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13007 13 K  Slaps total: 4560 4 K
Ava Addams

+4   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '20        #14
Ice Cube 
Props total: 2990 2 K  Slaps total: 2352 2 K
 2advanced said
Ava Addams

Homie you stupid
+6   

2 weeks ago '13        #15
GHova315  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4247 4 K  Slaps total: 697 697

+4   

2 weeks ago '16        #16
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 57758 57 K  Slaps total: 7203 7 K
Who's in the thumbnail?

2 weeks ago '14        #17
worldwide202  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17531 17 K  Slaps total: 2683 2 K
Viola Davis for now. I'm rooting on Regina King to there.
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #18
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 163897 163 K  Slaps total: 9786 9 K
 bmf24eva said
A respectable answer that the majority of the world would/will say (when they dont say Viola Davis)....

+4   

2 weeks ago '05        #19
Stuart Scott  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 57123 57 K  Slaps total: 9575 9 K
Angela Bassett Easily

+8   

2 weeks ago '12        #20
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 163897 163 K  Slaps total: 9786 9 K
 MrDarkCloud said
Funny you say that.

Bro talkin bout Katherine Hepburn like she was a shadowy enigma

No problem with it and not a diss, the way you worded that sh*t made me laugh, reminded me of when the one Wayans sister used to do them skits on In Living Color like "You aint heard this from me...but"
+4   

2 weeks ago '19        #21
unit321  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 33496 33 K  Slaps total: 7714 7 K
 MrDarkCloud said
I know there are a lot of people that consider Streep to be the greatest living actress. While she is talented, a lot of that has to do with the opportunities provided to her to showcase her range and skill. She has A LOT of work to reference. I definitely do think there are Black actresses out there that are just as talented but just haven't been given the same opportunities and there is very little to pull from and very little substantial work to reference.

Viola Davis seems like the obvious choice of today's working actresses and she seems to be building up a nice little diverse catalog of work for herself.
Halle Berry.

2 weeks ago '06        #22
droid3000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x38
Props total: 75164 75 K  Slaps total: 9561 9 K
 CJ Schwarz said
Yeah its Viola Davis. She seems to nominated every award season.
she calls herself the black meryl streep
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #23
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 18678 18 K  Slaps total: 1551 1 K
 1000bluntz said
She’s definitely very good but I like the part McDormand played in Fargo far more than anything I’ve ever seen Streep in and in general I like the movies she chooses to be in more than what Streep does.
Yea that movie put me on to her and the coen brothers....

Viola Davis is the only answer

Last edited by NAKHI ALLAH; 04-18-2021 at 01:39 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #24
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 18678 18 K  Slaps total: 1551 1 K
 bmf24eva said

Yea I completely forgot about her.....
Ruby Dee....
+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #25
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 61401 61 K  Slaps total: 13865 13 K
Meryl Streep is everything they say she is when it comes to acting

I respect her work
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+59online now  19
May 4 - World’s Most Vaccinated Nation Reintroduces Lockdowns as Cases Surge
326 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+43online now  14
Video inside Wtf is in that bottle
97 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  10
Are these MMA f*ghters supposed to be angry....uhhh...
80 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  8
Image(s) inside Meek Mill Buys Up $50K Worth Of Dogecoin Amid Price Surge
280 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy