Utter PS5 Sales Dominance Is The Only Narrative That Matters To Sony Right Now

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

4 weeks ago '04        #1
611 page views
27 comments

KURUPTION!!! 
Props total: 4163 4 K  Slaps total: 296 296
Utter PS5 Sales Dominance Is The Only Narrative That Matters To Sony Right Now

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, even though Microsoft has had a strong start to this generation, full of big, splashy headlines like them buying Bethesda or adding this or that game to Xbox Game Pass, Sony has been quiet because…they can be.

While Sony has not purchased any huge companies or come up with a real counter to Game Pass, what they have been doing is selling a truly massive amount of PS5s, a number that would be even larger were they not constantly supply limited.

Officially, the PS5 is the fastest selling console in US history, by both unit and dollar sales, according to a recent report from the NPD. While we don’t have exact global figures, it stands to reason it’s doing well in the rest of the world where PlayStation is usually picked over Xbox in most countries, with a few exceptions.

It is impossible to understate the amount of goodwill Sony harvested from the PS4 generation, again, a relatively “quiet” run in any sense other than a console free of bells and whistles (and Kinects), and one that simply cranked out a large number of must-have first party games. So far, that seems to be the exact same plan this time around.

While Microsoft’s plan has changed from the launch of last generation, as I’ve said before, they’re in a position that requires them to tell their consumers to wait a long, long time for the fruits of their labor and recent purchases. Huge Bethesda games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 don’t even have set release years. And outside of Halo Infinite, which has already been delayed a full year, larger titles like Fable, Avowed and Perfect Dark again, do not have release windows at all.

It also doesn’t help that Sony was yet again more or less able to undercut Xbox’s price. While the next-gen-but-not-really Series S is $300, the digital PS5 is $400 to the Xbox Series X’s $500 (with a disc-based PS5 costing $500). The same $100 gap is effectively present as it was last generation, in addition to Sony’s other built-in advantages heading into this gen.

I agree that Sony has been the victim of “bad looks” over the past few months. The entire idea of being the one to raise game prices to $70 looks especially silly in the face of Game Pass, and that culminated in a very awkward situation where Game Pass poached Sony’s own MLB The Show, where it will be $70 on PS5 and “free” on Game Pass due to a sneaky Microsoft deal. Bad look.

But again, it’s one game here or there. Fundamentally Microsoft has launched the Series X without any meaningful exclusives, something that is unlikely to change until next fall with Halo Infinite, but by then, Sony will be spooling up big releases as well like Horizon Forbidden West.

Xbox certainly looks more competitive this generation, but if Sony appears complacent, it’s because they can afford to be. No amount of small PS5 feature annoyances or studios Microsoft has bought seems to be able to unsteady Sony and its decades-long investment in its own studios, and goodwill earned over four generations of consoles now. And if that narrative will change, it may take years for Microsoft’s current investments to bear fruit.

read://https_www.forbes.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fpaulta ssi%2F2021%2F04%2F18%2Futter-ps5-sales-dominance-is-the-only-narrative-that-matters-to-sony-right-now%2F%3Fsh%3D562b1b2448c9
+4   

best
worst
27 comments

4 weeks ago '16        #2
Novii 
Props total: 6229 6 K  Slaps total: 922 922
I don’t think it’s the only narrative that matters, although it’s solid footing. Sales is just the fruits of the decades of long labor Sony put in to polishing their direction for gaming. Same thing with Nintendo.

Microsoft’s had a VERY good year so far, but as a gamer invested in that eco system there’s still a lot of unknowns. The director for Days Gone 2 (not Jeff Ross) said a game like days gone would have never been green lit by Microsoft, but Sony allows full creative control and freedom. Does that mean Gamepass is going to stifle not the variety but the creativity of games in certain cases? Sony doesn’t have that problem or “unknown” since Sony’s proven themselves for going on 5 gens that if they ever get ANYTHING right, it’s the games. Microsoft has to prove the studios they bought are in good hands and they’re capable of competing at the same level as Nintendo and Sony
+4   

4 weeks ago '04        #3
KURUPTION!!!  OP
 Novii said
Microsoft has to prove the studios they bought are in good hands and they’re capable of competing at the same level as Nintendo and Sony
Yeah that's kind of the part that was missed about that Colin Moriarty video a few days ago. MS hasn't shown that they can organize all these studios in a manner where they can drop games on a consistent basis. All those studios look good on paper, but they have to deliver.
+6   

4 weeks ago '20        #4
Iron Stan 
Props total: 7655 7 K  Slaps total: 1330 1 K
 KURUPTION!!! said
Yeah that's kind of the part that was missed about that Colin Moriarty video a few days ago. MS hasn't shown that they can organize all these studios in a manner where they can drop games on a consistent basis. All those studios look good on paper, but they have to deliver.
And in my opinion that’s where they’ll falter again this generation.Sony seems and tends to drop GOTY contenders every few months/yearly while Xbox takes years to put out something worthwhile that isn’t a multi plat.I agree game pass is a good look for gamers but it’s convoluted to say the least
+2   

4 weeks ago '04        #5
SpyDa 
Props total: 9167 9 K  Slaps total: 1183 1 K
Said this a long time ago. Ps5 moving units off miles morales and demon souls. When god of war and horizon hit, ball game.
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #6
KURUPTION!!!  OP
 Iron Stan said
And in my opinion that’s where they’ll falter again this generation.Sony seems and tends to drop GOTY contenders every few months/yearly while Xbox takes years to put out something worthwhile that isn’t a multi plat.I agree game pass is a good look for gamers but it’s convoluted to say the least
They did it during the 360 generation and they did it at the beginning of the Xbox One generation. It's just been so long that the detractors don't think they can anymore. Games aren't made overnight, only time will tell.

4 weeks ago '17        #7
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63752 63 K  Slaps total: 19183 19 K
LMFAO
+1   

4 weeks ago '20        #8
Christ Like 
Props total: 5998 5 K  Slaps total: 4625 4 K

best selling console in United States history, even during a pandemic when other segments of entertainment have seen a huge downturn

4 weeks ago '20        #9
D1dnt read 
Props total: 17892 17 K  Slaps total: 4130 4 K

makes it even better that we know we're also gonna be getting the best gaming library with PS on top of it dominating sales

look at the PS4, massive sales AND greatest library of that gen whereas the xbone flopped in sales and had a horrendous gaming library

+3   

4 weeks ago '16        #10
Novii 
Props total: 6229 6 K  Slaps total: 922 922
 KURUPTION!!! said
They don’t have the same leeway Sony has. Gamers gave CDPR all that leeway off Witcher. Just proof if you make good games people will have faith. Halo/forza/gears has been a staple for too long to not have another heavyweight up there with them. The Halo Infinite debacle isn’t helping them with that leeway, so gamers have every right to be skeptical. So it’s a big opportunity for MS IFFFFF they can get atleast A COUPLE out of all those studios. All this wait time with third parties can only carry you for so long. When Harry Potter drops that’s a loootttt of media coverage time. Never mind the other AAA’s. Harry Potter has a HUGE cult following and pretty much guaranteed a hit.
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #11
Pleasure Boy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 22371 22 K  Slaps total: 4732 4 K
People are not gonna just abandon Playstation unless they buy both... If you've been a PS Plus member for the past 8 years you probably got more than 100 games in you digital library
+1   

4 weeks ago '10        #12
#JewLife 
Props total: 14798 14 K  Slaps total: 4224 4 K
When is Returnal hitting game pass
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #13
Krazie 
Props total: 35780 35 K  Slaps total: 4747 4 K
 #JewLife said
When is Returnal hitting game pass
When did this become some kind of weird deflection?

4 weeks ago '05        #14
TonyCartagena 
Props total: 54220 54 K  Slaps total: 9007 9 K
Stopped Reading At "even though Microsoft has had a strong start to this generation"
bi*ch What Game Is Worth It To Purchase A Xbox Right Now? Ill Wait

The Medium Walkthrough?
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #15
SpyDa 
Props total: 9167 9 K  Slaps total: 1183 1 K
 TonyCartagena said
Stopped Reading At "even though Microsoft has had a strong start to this generation"

The Medium Walkthrough?
To be fair. It's better to buy a Xbox series X than pay triple for a GPU. I still can't get a got damn 3080 qnd if halo was dropping soon, I'd buy an Xbox for it.
+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #16
 TonyCartagena said

The Medium Walkthrough?
They're confused coz they believe everyone should see the value in Gamepass like they do... Microsoft is really the only company that can launch a brand new console without games and get praised for it... They launched the Xbox One X and didn't even bother to make a game that takes advantage of the power... They should actually just Develop games and become a 3rd party Dev and get the fu*k out of the console business... If Xbox didn't have Microsoft backing them tbey would've gone bankrupt years ago
+1   

4 weeks ago '05        #17
TonyCartagena 
 SpyDa said
To be fair. It's better to buy a Xbox series X than pay triple for a GPU. I still can't get a got damn 3080 qnd if halo was dropping soon, I'd buy an Xbox for it.
They Would Have A Arguement If Halo Dropped But It Didnt.... Sony Put Miles Morales And Demon Souls Out
So To Say Xbox Had A Great Start To This Generation Is Greatly Exaggerated And A Lie A Fanboy Would Write
They Havent Released A Good Game On It That Caters To Its "power"
As For The 3080... Good Luck With That Homie
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #18
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 165390 165 K  Slaps total: 9832 9 K
I get what the articles saying, but i'm not gonna fault the company for wanting sales to be their focus. Its literally how they keep the lights on

I feel like I've said this 539329029309302 times over the last 2 months, but got damnit Sony is okay, they're doing just fine - videogames as an industry is booming and making good cash. Jim Ryan's leadership has brought them billions of dollars in revenue and profit, they're just doing it their way. if after a year or two - or a generation some sh*t they've fell off then it is what it is, but as of right now they are doing alright. if you don't like the direction they're heading in then speak with your wallet - as of today that isn't happening.

Its gotten to a point where it feels like some writers are trying to make the narrative they want to push a reality, when the numbers just don't say that sh*t.

If anything is in the trash right now its videogame journalism
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #19
TonyCartagena 
 Pleasure Boy said
They're confused coz they believe everyone should see the value in Gamepass like they do... Microsoft is really the only company that can launch a brand new console without games and get praised for it... They launched the Xbox One X and didn't even bother to make a game that takes advantage of the power... They should actually just Develop games and become a 3rd party Dev and get the fu*k out of the console business... If Xbox didn't have Microsoft backing them tbey would've gone bankrupt years ago
Facts On Everything
Especially On The Praise Thing You Been Talking About(Narrative FUD) But If We Wanna Be Real They Just Paying These Bloggers/Reviewers To Praise It... The Numbers Speak For Themselves
This Post Tryna Say All They Care Is About Sales
Welcome To Business Dumbasses... It All Comes Down To Who You Think Is Gonna Create The Better Games For Each System Gamers Gonna Trust The One With The Track Record
+1   

4 weeks ago '20        #20
Christ Like 
 OldBusiness said
I get what the articles saying, but i'm not gonna fault the company for wanting sales to be their focus. Its literally how they keep the lights on

I feel like I've said this 539329029309302 times over the last 2 months, but got damnit Sony is okay, they're doing just fine - videogames as an industry is booming and making good cash. Jim Ryan's leadership has brought them billions of dollars in revenue and profit, they're just doing it their way. if after a year or two - or a generation some sh*t they've fell off then it is what it is, but as of right now they are doing alright. if you don't like the direction they're heading in then speak with your wallet - as of today that isn't happening.

Its gotten to a point where it feels like some writers are trying to make the narrative they want to push a reality, when the numbers just don't say that sh*t.

If anything is in the trash right now its videogame journalism
You seem very confused and in the trash also.

You can’t decide if you want to be an Xbox troll or be neutral cause you claim you own both

You’re heavy in those threads made by Lawdy at his hip with the foolery and lies.
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #21
 TonyCartagena said
Facts On Everything
Especially On The Praise Thing You Been Talking About(Narrative FUD) But If We Wanna Be Real They Just Paying These Bloggers/Reviewers To Praise It... The Numbers Speak For Themselves
This Post Tryna Say All They Care Is About Sales
Welcome To Business Dumbasses... It All Comes Down To Who You Think Is Gonna Create The Better Games For Each System Gamers Gonna Trust The One With The Track Record
Imagine criticizing a company that sells consoles for breaking console record sales

Thats like someone criticizing Microsoft for getting 100million subscribers on Gamepass... Their approach is just different... One is for people who dont really intend on buying games... And those that do are probably the stupidest mfs

Reason I say buying games from Gamepass is stupid coz why the fu*k would you buy a game after renting it? If you brag about saving money then why double dip on something you praise as free... If these mfs really buy games after renting then they actually pay more than we do coz they pay $15pm and then $50-$70 per game when it leaves gamepass

This sh*t really makes no sense

4 weeks ago '12        #22
 Christ Like said
You seem very confused and in the trash also.

You can’t decide if you want to be an Xbox troll or be neutral cause you claim you own both

You’re heavy in those threads made by Lawdy at his hip with the foolery and lies.
I'm more amazed at how personal you seem to take my posts that have absolutely nothing to do with you fat officer

In otherwords you seem to be on my d*ck when you were never invited, pause

You ever notice how in any of our exchanges I never initiate them, you do and I either A) Ignore you, or B) Laugh at you for being a fat cop

You're obsessed ma'am

4 weeks ago '20        #23
Christ Like 
 OldBusiness said
I'm more amazed at how personal you seem to take my posts that have absolutely nothing to do with you fat officer

In otherwords you seem to be on my d*ck when you were never invited, pause

You ever notice how in any of our exchanges I never initiate them, you do and I either A) Ignore you, or B) Laugh at you for being a fat cop

You're obsessed ma'am
This fella mad af cause he knows it’s the truth

Unlike you and others on here idgaf about props or looking cool.

You’re a troll
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #24
 Christ Like said
This fella mad af cause he knows it’s the truth

Unlike you and others on here idgaf about props or looking cool.

You’re a troll
I understand, my board presence is a major part of your existence

You're welcome champ

4 weeks ago '16        #25
Hoggystyle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 69144 69 K  Slaps total: 7826 7 K
Sony gave ms a head start they know they bout to obliterate them like they did last gen

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+49online now  33
Article inside Its Offical Bitcoin Will Dump Heavy
130 comments
23 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+17online now  18
Mo3 shooting video released
135 comments