John Garvin: ďDonít complain about games not getting a sequel if you ainít pay full priceĒ

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

4 weeks ago '17        #1
949 page views
43 comments

SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63759 63 K  Slaps total: 19190 19 K
John Garvin: ďDonít complain about games not getting a sequel if you ainít pay full priceĒ

The creative director and writer of Days Gone has said that players should buy games at full price if they like them, instead of waiting for them to go on sale or be given away as part of services like PlayStation Plus.

John Garvin was speaking to game designer David Jaffe on Jaffeís YouTube show, where he was asked if heíd heard anything about any ďmeaningful uptick of engagementĒ with Days Gone since the game was added to the PlayStation Plus Collection on PS5.

ďI do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might p*ss some of them off,Ē Garvin replied. ďIf you love a game, buy it at fu*king full price. I canít tell you how many times Iíve seen gamers say Ďyeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whateverí.Ē

ďBut how do you know you love a game until youíve played it?Ē Jaffe responded.

ďIím just saying, you donít, but donít complain if a game doesnít get a sequel if it wasnít supported at launch,Ē Garvin replied. ďItís like, God of War got whatever number millions of sales at launch and, you know, Days Gone didnít. [Iím] just speaking for me personally as a developer, I donít work for Sony, I donít know what the numbers are.

visit this link https://www.videogameschr .. it-full-price/

Over/under this thread gets UGLY within the first 5 replies
+8   

best
worst
43 comments

4 weeks ago '04        #2
Da Ill One|M  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 12464 12 K  Slaps total: 695 695
Dude is clearly Salty his game didn't sell like Jaffes did. He even said as much. I have No problem paying full price if it's a game I know I like or looks interesting to me. I've been burned by a ton of games. Im not paying full price for a game that's a "maybe I'll like it".
+23   

4 weeks ago '06        #3
LeMar G 
Props total: 74340 74 K  Slaps total: 7624 7 K
Days gone was trash breh

This n*gga shouldn't have even mentioned GOW
+1   

4 weeks ago '17        #4
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4 OP
 Da Ill One said
Dude is clearly Salty his game didn't sell like Jaffes did. He even said as much. I have No problem paying full price if it's a game I know I like or looks interesting to me. I've been burned by a ton of games. Im not paying full price for a game that's a "maybe I'll like it".
Cant say he wrong about this tbh.

Gamers starting to sound real entitled to me lately
+13   

4 weeks ago '04        #5
 SPdaGOAT said

I don't think gamers are acting entitled at all.
I think it's about people spending thier money how they want. Just like you who keeps saying (I don't remember your exact quote, but it's similar) when you called people out for being broke and not owning both systems. And how some people don't want to spend thier money on a rental service like gamepass or even Netflix
+1   

4 weeks ago '21        #6
JayMurdoch 
Props total: 2921 2 K  Slaps total: 221 221
I've been working my way through Days Gone now and it's a decent game but the story is trash. I've been playing this sh*t for months and I got to the second area about a month or two ago and stopped playing it because of the story. I played it again a few days ago and immediately remembered why I stopped playing and it's the wife/girlfriend/relationship angle that k*lls the game for me. I turned it off after 1 mission.
+1   

4 weeks ago '17        #7
 Da Ill One said
I think it's about people spending thier money how they want. Just like you who keeps saying (I don't remember your exact quote, but it's similar) when you called people out for being broke and not owning both systems. And how some people don't want to spend thier money on a rental service like gamepass or even Netflix
Thatís fine, spend your money how you see fit.

Donít get mad when your favorite games donít make enough money for the companies to justify a sequel tho that to me is very common sense and something understood across the entertainment industry except when it comes to games it seems
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #8
 SPdaGOAT said

Donít get mad when your favorite games donít make enough money for the companies to justify a sequel tho that to me is very common sense and something understood across the entertainment industry except when it comes to games it seems
So what about all the games that anyone supported at full price and they never got a sequel?

So you'd honestly rather pay full price for a game you are iffy on (after you see trailers and stuff) just so it could get a sequal? Rather then buy the same game for maybe $20 on a sale and end up not liking it or making that self justification that I'm willing to bet 99% of gamers have said to themselves "well at least it was on sale" or "thankfully I didn't pay full price for that game'?
+6   

4 weeks ago '17        #9
 Da Ill One said
So what about all the games that anyone supported at full price and they never got a sequel?

So you'd honestly rather pay full price for a game you are iffy on (after you see trailers and stuff) just so it could get a sequal? Rather then buy the same game for maybe $20 on a sale and end up not liking it or making that self justification that I'm willing to bet 99% of gamers have said to themselves "well at least it was on sale" or "thankfully I didn't pay full price for that game'?
I buy games on launch day that Iím interested in to support the devs first and foremost. Whether they make a sequel or not is truly on them.

What I donít do is wait for game to go on sale or free, then finally buy and play it and cry on the internet because theyíre not developing a sequel. Because I understand itís a business. No company in any industry keeps spending money on anything that doesnít generate top revenue.

But for some reason, gamers want this industry to be the exception lmfao
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #10
 SPdaGOAT said
I buy games on launch day that Iím interested in to support the devs first and foremost. Whether they make a sequel or not is truly on them.

What I donít do is wait for game to go on sale or free, then finally buy and play it and cry on the internet because theyíre not developing a sequel. Because I understand itís a business. No company in any industry keeps spending money on anything that doesnít generate top revenue.

But for some reason, gamers want this industry to be the exception lmfao
I don't bi*ch if there's no sequel, but if I'm on the fence I will wait for the price to drop most of the time. Sometimes I say fu*k it and buy anyway at full price like the avengers. But I'm on the fence about it takes two. I played the first level and thought it was cool but not sure it's worth the $35. I might wait for a sale or for it to bit gamepass. But if they don't make a sequel to it then that's fine also.
+3   

4 weeks ago '12        #11
TrillSwag  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 50675 50 K  Slaps total: 7734 7 K
 Da Ill One said
Big facts. If I buy a game at retail price itís not only because I like it but I also want to support it. This is why people who bootleg all tv shows/movies arenít beating the system. If you like a movie/game/tv show pay for it or how else we ever going to get more content like that?
+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #12
 LeMar G said
Days gone was trash breh

Days gone was not trash.
+3   

4 weeks ago '12        #13
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 165476 165 K  Slaps total: 9832 9 K
From celebrating the sales of Sony games and consoles one day, to now the narrative being people aren't actually paying full price for the games

As someone who paid full price and preordered his game I have to say what I been saying: The game didnt deserve a sequel, it was one of the ps4s most average exclusives.

Even the petition @ posted for a sequel claimed "millions of gamers want a sequel" yet it took almost a full week to even break 30k signatures

Two things are true here:Jason Schreiers article was stupid as fu*k and this guys game was average

Maybe he should start a gofundme for his game and see if the same gamers he just threw a shot at would crowd fund the sequel. Sony gave him the biggest budget of his career and almost 5 years to develop Days Gone and thats what he came up with

Maybe hes just not a good fit for the AAA style of game development happening at Sony

Last edited by OldBusiness; 04-18-2021 at 09:44 AM..
+8   

4 weeks ago '12        #14
 LeMar G said
Days gone was trash breh

He for damn sure shouldnt have mentioned GoW but the game wasnt trash, it was just average.
+3   

4 weeks ago '08        #15
Kewop Decam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32742 32 K  Slaps total: 2659 2 K
 SPdaGOAT said

It's some of this but also the gaming industry been on some bullsh*t the past 6 years with releasing lies and games that are broken as hell.

Some people wait and the reality is, once you past the first and second week, that FOMO for having the latest games runs out and you can wait years to go get it.

It's not on gamers really for that sequel. It's on Sony to see the vision of the first being the starter and the second and third being bangers just how Uncharted went. Sony didn't believe, the end. I don't know why this dude is going at gamers, lol. Talk to ya boss
+3   

4 weeks ago '17        #16
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 161837 161 K  Slaps total: 11131 11 K
Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. If people weren't willing to pay $60 for it then it isn't worth $60. Don't be mad at the people, be mad at the product.

+10   

4 weeks ago '17        #17
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 161837 161 K  Slaps total: 11131 11 K
 OldBusiness said
From celebrating the sales of Sony games and consoles one day, to now the narrative being people aren't actually paying full price for the games

As someone who paid full price and preordered his game I have to say what I been saying: The game didnt deserve a sequel, it was one of the ps4s most average exclusives.

Even the petition @ posted for a sequel claimed "millions of gamers want a sequel" yet it took almost a full week to even break 30k signatures

Two things are true here:Jason Schreiers article was stupid as fu*k and this guys game was average

Maybe he should start a gofundme for his game and see if the same gamers he just threw a shot at would crowd fund the sequel. Sony gave him the biggest budget of his career and almost 5 years to develop Days Gone and thats what he came up with

Maybe hes just not a good fit for the AAA style of game development happening at Sony
Next they'll be making petitions for sequels to Order 1886 and DriveClub.

+4   

4 weeks ago '12        #18
 Naga Sadow said
Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. If people weren't willing to pay $60 for it then it isn't worth $60. Don't be mad at the people, be mad at the product.

I agree with this as well. I was hyped for days gone before it came out. After reading all the issues at launch I waited for it to go on sale to cop. This dude wants to have it both ways
+3   

4 weeks ago '17        #19
 Naga Sadow said
Next they'll be making petitions for sequels to Order 1886 and DriveClub.

DriveClub was actually ill

4 weeks ago '17        #20
 TrillSwag said
I agree with this as well. I was hyped for days gone before it came out. After reading all the issues at launch I waited for it to go on sale to cop. This dude wants to have it both ways
While I do agree with what he is saying, I will say that this stance looks funny as hell from him specifically because DG launched on some straight bullsh*t. If you expect people to pay full price for your sh*t in that first month, then your game better be technically pristine basically at launch or after a first patch we get on a launch day/week.

He is right tho ultimately. I would love a sequel to death Stranding but especially for console players, I realize Iím in a very small minority group of people that loved this game and itís lore hopefully one day I could be in a position to have the power to convince Kojima to continue it, but until then, I feel wrong telling him he NEEDS to continue doing anything with that IP
+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #21
 Naga Sadow said

Exactly.

One problem Sony hasnt had as of late - ESPECIALLY for ps4 exclusives - was selling games

He got the biggest shot of his career and didnt deliver. The Sony games division hit like 20 billion dollars worth of growth or some sh*t under Jim Ryan(which is why i keep saying the doom & gloom sh*t is too early)...Gamers are obviously spending on Sony and their games - its not gamers fault his sh*t didnt sell when the platform and base he was targeting have been spending at record numbers.

Just deliver, the money is waiting for fu*ks sake
+6   

4 weeks ago '16        #22
Novii 
Props total: 6229 6 K  Slaps total: 922 922
Loooool

I’ve always bought games I was hyped for, day one. Only sales I wait for is smaller games or games I passed up on and the price is so low I figured I’d take the dive. Any title I’m interested in, or studio I like I support.

Sounds like a shot at cheap gamers, and gamepass. It’s funny people are jumping on the game is trash trash trash. Doesn’t change the fact that these guys are looking at opening sales and how well a game is received in its opening week/month.
+3   

4 weeks ago '16        #23
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 65375 65 K  Slaps total: 3981 3 K
 SPdaGOAT said

He didn't come off as salty at all, he just kept it a buck. If you want product you gotta support the folks that make it. I personally loved days gone, it wasn't The last of us 2. But honestly I feel like few games are that good.

4 weeks ago '15        #24
Shmoedog 
Props total: 14611 14 K  Slaps total: 5157 5 K
Still waiting on Battlefield Bad Company 3

4 weeks ago '15        #25
RickJamez 
Props total: 8407 8 K  Slaps total: 1569 1 K
Day(s G)one was wack.
All the dope things came way later.
Never took the time 2 revisit the game

Sign me up

yesterday...