amazon....spends $465 million on just 1 season of "lord of the rings"

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
50 replies  @hiphop

most viewed right now
6 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

4 weeks ago '09        #1
2113 page views
40 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x62
Props total: 222032 222 K  Slaps total: 24945 24 K
amazon....spends $465 million on just 1 season of "lord of the rings"

visit this link https://www.hollywoodrepo .. ion-one-season

The highly anticipated fantasy series will cost far more than previous record-breaking estimates: "This will be the largest television series ever made."
Amazon Studios' The Lord of the Rings television show is going to cost all the gold in the Lonely Mountain.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Amazon will spend roughly NZ$650 million — $465 million in U.S. dollars — for just the first season of the show.

That's far above previous reported estimates that pegged the fantasy drama as costing an already record-breaking $500 million for multiple seasons of the show

"What I can tell you is Amazon is going to spend about $650 million in season one alone," Stuart Nash, New Zealand minister for economic development and tourism, told Morning Report. "This is fantastic, it really is … this will be the largest television series ever made."

The figures were released as part of as part of the New Zealand government’s Official Information Act and initially reported by the New Zealand outlet Stuff. The documents also confirmed the studio's plan to film potentially five seasons in New Zealand — as well as possible, as-yet-unannounced spinoff series.

By comparison, HBO's Game of Thrones cost roughly $100 million to produce per season, with its per-episode cost starting at around $6 million for season one and eventually rising to around $15 million per episode in season eight

image The eye-popping Lord of the Rings price tag almost certainly doesn’t reflect season one’s production cost alone. The rights to the Tolkien property cost an estimated $250 million. Plus there are considerable startup costs when bringing Middle Earth to life — such as sets, costumes and props — that will be used throughout the series.

Amazon's spending will trigger a tax rebate of NZ$160 million ($114 million U.S). This is somewhat controversial in New Zealand as the government could end up on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars to help subsidize Amazon's elves-and-hobbits drama series

Stuff reported that the country's treasury has labeled the show a "significant fiscal risk" given there is no capped upside to how much Amazon — and therefore the government — might spend. But others point out that the boost in local spending by the production plus the potential tourism surge from Lord of the Rings fans far outweighs the taxpayer-funded kickbacks

Amazon picked up the rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved Middle Earth franchise in 2017, and early on it was estimated the show could end up eventually becoming the world's first TV show to cost $1 billion after factoring in the rights deal, production and marketing for multiple seasons
+6   

best
worst
40 comments

4 weeks ago '05        #2
Rockstar718 
Props total: 30545 30 K  Slaps total: 2565 2 K
I read this last night.

The fact that the rights to the series is 250 mill by itself is crazy

I need to get back to writing
+30   

4 weeks ago '17        #3
bayareabosses 
Props total: 994 994  Slaps total: 167 167
Can’t wait
+2   

4 weeks ago '06        #4
Jhnnyblz427 
Props total: 38798 38 K  Slaps total: 2283 2 K
Day 1
+6   

4 weeks ago '12        #5
OskarDaHippie 
Props total: 6183 6 K  Slaps total: 1576 1 K

+14   

4 weeks ago '04        #6
MosDefinition 
Props total: 14536 14 K  Slaps total: 1773 1 K
Y'all act like bezos gonna spend that money on improving working conditions for drivers and distribution workers
+11   

4 weeks ago '18        #7
BlaqThum 
Props total: 11541 11 K  Slaps total: 733 733
 Rockstar718 said
I read this last night.

The fact that the rights to the series is 250 mill by itself is crazy

I need to get back to writing
You self taught? I always wanted to give it try... any things tools out here to help a novice?
+3   

4 weeks ago '15        #8
Kdub31 
Props total: 19156 19 K  Slaps total: 1854 1 K
This is how amazon “avoids” paying taxes.
+12   

4 weeks ago '09        #9
sammcc30 
Props total: 3671 3 K  Slaps total: 363 363
So what they got it
+2   

4 weeks ago '04        #10
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 19812 19 K  Slaps total: 2281 2 K
Amazon prime should have paid the creator of games of thrones to write them a new show. Is anyone really hyped to see a Lord of the rings series

Last edited by nwking; 04-17-2021 at 11:53 PM..

4 weeks ago '14        #11
Bigboi781  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 17308 17 K  Slaps total: 5690 5 K
 MosDefinition said
Y'all act like bezos gonna spend that money on improving working conditions for drivers and distribution workers
They’re going to be replaced by robots anyways. These are the most disposable employees of the company. Fire one, there’s 100 more waiting to get hired

4 weeks ago '17        #12
RAM 
Props total: 480 480  Slaps total: 24 24
 nwking said
Amazon prime should have paid the creator of games with thrones to write them a new show. Is anyone really hyped to see a Lord of the rings series
George has been writing "The Winds of Winter" for the past 10+ years. (I don't the he'll ever finish it. Like Dre with Detox) No way he'll be able to write a new show.
+7   

4 weeks ago '17        #13
tu calmas  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29198 29 K  Slaps total: 4322 4 K
They're going to make at least double that amount back

They made like a billy off each movie
+3   

4 weeks ago '18        #14
ether  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 11413 11 K  Slaps total: 8361 8 K
 MosDefinition said
Too busy worshipping celebrities to care about the average joe
+4   

4 weeks ago '08        #15
get_ate 
Props total: 3095 3 K  Slaps total: 230 230
 BlaqThum said
You self taught? I always wanted to give it try... any things tools out here to help a novice?
The key to improving as a writer is to actually write. Towards that end, you should be writing something every single day.

Beyond that, read everything you can get your hands on. And by "read", I mean read sh*t as an active reader. Pay attention to the structure of sentences, word choice, how sentences flow, etc.
+9   

4 weeks ago '06        #16
SKDontPlay 
Props total: 2045 2 K  Slaps total: 187 187
 nwking said
Amazon prime should have paid the creator of games with thrones to write them a new show. Is anyone really hyped to see a Lord of the rings series
One of my coworkers’ whole life revolves around that sh*t. I'd never seen it. I eventually did cause she couldn't stop talking about it.

It's a solid a*s story, but the ending is meh. I'm not hyped for this sh*t, but it's following is similar to Star Wars groupies.

The only thing I would watch it for is the Elves. They had a dope world. The Hobbits were kinda gay, and the humans were basically dealing with GOT politics. Gandalf was a G, so I’d like to see an origin story about him.

That's about it.

It's not my thing, but its fanbase will eat it up.
+1   

4 weeks ago '05        #17
projectd06 
Props total: 26090 26 K  Slaps total: 6580 6 K
Sounds dope, more money they spend hopefully means a better product, I dont care if they make money on it I ain't an amazon share holder.
+2   

4 weeks ago '20        #18
BradTheGreat23 
Props total: 352 352  Slaps total: 75 75
They better pray this sh*t don’t flopped. The fu*k?

4 weeks ago '05        #19
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 87202 87 K  Slaps total: 11789 11 K
Jeff Bezos worth like almost 200 billion though, 465 million is like what to this dude
+2   

4 weeks ago '07        #20
Supercoolbert 
Props total: 1943 1 K  Slaps total: 114 114
day 1 I’m fu*king there
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #21
pippen33 
Props total: 18481 18 K  Slaps total: 1366 1 K
The $450 million for 1 season is misleading though. $250 million of it is a one time fee. And then they can make as many seasons as they want. Unless the show is absolutely awful then they will probably get at least 6-7 seasons out of it. Lord of the Rings is crazy popular.

A lot of people will also sign up for Prime and stay with Prime to watch and then start buying products on Amazon.

Amazon is playing the long game. I bet this will be a huge success. And I'm not even a fan of lord of the rings.
+3   

4 weeks ago '07        #22
Thirst God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 4931 4 K  Slaps total: 1000 1 K
 nwking said
They stretched a 4th book into 3 movies. I think the thirst is real
+1   

4 weeks ago '20        #23
Die in Houston  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7220 7 K  Slaps total: 595 595
 nwking said
It’s been 10+ Years since his last book. That n*gga hasn’t even finished his own story how the hell is he gonna write for them?
+2   

4 weeks ago '14        #24
mumbosauce  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25129 25 K  Slaps total: 3290 3 K
imagine if this runs like 5 seasons.

4 weeks ago '11        #25
GrindPOWER$  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 57649 57 K  Slaps total: 10710 10 K
LTR is like Games Of Thrones it has a following so they gonna do numbers

there is money in series and movies for these streaming platforms
+4   

Sign me up