TSMC Unlikely to Meet Demand Until 2023, GPU Availability to be Impacted

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
25 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

4 weeks ago '15        #1
463 page views
4 comments

CZNM22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19288 19 K  Slaps total: 551 551
TSMC Unlikely to Meet Demand Until 2023, GPU Availability to be Impacted

The Chip Maker has Bad News for Those Hoping to Buy an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 in 2021

TSMC, which supplies chips for AMD, Intel and Nvidia, has warned that the global components shortage will likely continue into 2022.

The Taiwanese semiconductor foundry, which is allegedly planning to hike the price of its chips as a result of the ongoing shortage, said during a recent conference call that it expects it continue to see high-levels of demand - which it will unlikely be able to meet until 2023.

“We see the demand continue to be high,” commented TSMC CEO C.C. Wei. “In 2023, I hope we can offer more capacity to support our customers. At that time, we’ll start to see the supply chain tightness release a little bit.

“We have acquired land and equipment and started the construction of new facilities. We are hiring thousands of employees and expanding our capacity at multiple sites,” he added.

TSMC does have good news for its automative clients, as it expects chip supply to improve in the next quarter. However, this is likely a sign that the CPU and GPU shortage affecting the likes of AMD and Nvidia is unlikely to ease up anytime soon.

Wei’s comments echo predictions made by Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger earlier this week, who warned that it could take a few years to address the shortage, according to The Washington Post.

Nvidia, too, has warned that supply of its RTX 30 series GPUs is unlikely to improve this year, which means it’s unlikely to get any easier to get your hands on an Nvidia RTX 3080.

"Overall demand remains very strong and continues to exceed supply while our channel inventories remain quite lean," said Colette Kress, CFO of Nvidia during the company’s annual investors day, despite previously suggesting that stock levels would improve by May."

“We expect demand to continue to exceed supply for much of this year. We believe we will have sufficient supply to support sequential growth beyond Q1."
+2   

best
worst
4 comments

4 weeks ago '17        #2
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 14574 14 K  Slaps total: 1440 1 K
Guess that just means Ima still be eating when my name gets called on the other 4 GPUs I signed up for om EVGAs waitlist back in November.

4 weeks ago '06        #3
TreZ 
Props total: 6572 6 K  Slaps total: 1751 1 K
 WHATEVERMAN said
Guess that just means Ima still be eating when my name gets called on the other 4 GPUs I signed up for om EVGAs waitlist back in November.
have you been picked yet for that?

4 weeks ago '17        #4
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 14574 14 K  Slaps total: 1440 1 K
 TreZ said
have you been picked yet for that?
I got a 3070 a month or so ago, but nothing since.

4 weeks ago '20        #5
D1dnt read 
Props total: 17867 17 K  Slaps total: 4123 4 K
why don’t they just create more semiconductors? Idiots...
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+37online now  35
Video inside Hassan campbell almost had to turn someone tv off in bronx river
219 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  26
UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler
711 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+32online now  21
Video inside May 15 - ISRAEL BEGINS DEPORTING BLACK AMERICAN HEBREWS
241 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+163online now  8
Kyrie: "I can't concentrate on Basketball" - Talks Palestinian Oppression..
268 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy