Samsung reportedly inks deal to buy OLED TV panels from rival LG Display

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

4 weeks ago '09        #1
983 page views
18 comments

Tiko377 
Props total: 17434 17 K  Slaps total: 1948 1 K
Samsung reportedly inks deal to buy OLED TV panels from rival LG Display

More evidence of its shift away from LCD

Samsung Electronics is close to ordering millions of OLED TV panels from LG Display, according to new reports from MTN, ETNews, and Seoul Economic Daily. Officials reportedly met recently to agree to the deal, which would see 1 million panels supplied to Samsung in the second half of this year, rising to 4 million panels next year. If the deal is finalized, it would be the first time Samsung has bought OLED panels from its South Korean rival and market leader. TVs with LG’s OLED panels consistently rate amongst the best in professional reviews.

Samsung exited the OLED TV market over half a decade ago. Today, LG Display supplies OLED panels to a variety of TV manufacturers including Sony, Vizio, and Hisense, as well as LG Electronics. Last year LG Display announced an expansion of its OLED production lines, and market research firm TrendForce says its production capacity is due to further increase in the second quarter of this year. MTN reports that LG Display’s total OLED TV panel production capacity is around 8 million units this year.

Today’s reports are the latest indication of Samsung’s shift away from LCD panels, which it currently uses across its television lineup. Even its QLED TVs still use LCD panels behind that quantum dot layer. Last year Samsung Display announced it would stop producing LCD panels in the face of stiff price competition from Chinese competitors, however it reportedly postponed this shutdown after the pandemic led to a rise in demand.

While falling LCD panel prices were believed to be behind last year’s move, MTN reports that the trend is reversing this year. LCD panels are reportedly growing more expensive, prompting Samsung to explore alternatives.

While Samsung Electronics plans to buy panels from LG Display, its own display division is believed to be working on Quantum Dot OLED (QD-OLED) TV panels. A report from South Korean publication The Elec this week says Samsung Display is currently working on a prototype TV using the technology, which will be sent to potential customers like Samsung Electronics after it’s produced in June. However, QD-OLED panel samples sent to Samsung Electronics in January was reportedly criticized for their low brightness.

QD-OLED isn’t the only new display technology on Samsung’s horizon. It recently commercialized a new display type called Micro LED, which uses an array of tiny self-emissive LEDs to produce an image. Although Samsung has released the technology in a series of ultra-high end TVs, it’s believed to be years away from being affordable enough for mass-market sets. There are also reports that the company is working on self-emissive quantum-dot TVs.

When asked about the potential deal in an interview, Samsung Electronics Jong-Hee Han, who oversees the company’s display division, dismissed the reports as rumors.

visit this link https://www.theverge.com/ .. quantum-dot-qd
+2   

best
worst
18 comments

4 weeks ago '20        #2
Bighempin 
Props total: 6371 6 K  Slaps total: 831 831
Let's go

4 weeks ago '16        #3
Novii 
Props total: 5966 5 K  Slaps total: 899 899
Woah woah woah.

QLED wasn’t enough huh. Werent they working on microLED?

Anyway, I love Samsung. They make great products. I’m interested to see what they’ll do with this. LG is king out here, but if Samsung puts out something to contend with the CX!?!

+3   

4 weeks ago '09        #4
LOONATIK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 33669 33 K  Slaps total: 4376 4 K
They feeling that pressure from Sony with their OLEDS coming lol. Sony amd LG the TV kings to me, I see a lot of low end Samsung’s go out daily though their market share is crazy. They all over the place but if you want a real quality TV Sony or LG is the way to go in my humble opinion
+7   

4 weeks ago '04        #5
GUCCI C0ND0MS 
Props total: 11473 11 K  Slaps total: 10648 10 K
OLEDs still don't get bright enough to meet the 1000 nits HDR standard tho

4 weeks ago '17        #6
DavidTheMan 
Props total: 14660 14 K  Slaps total: 8861 8 K
 Novii said
Woah woah woah.

QLED wasn’t enough huh. Werent they working on microLED?

Anyway, I love Samsung. They make great products. I’m interested to see what they’ll do with this. LG is king out here, but if Samsung puts out something to contend with the CX!?!

LED isn't LCD.
They are still doing QLED and microLED is still being researched, but until then its OLED has gotten so cheap that there might be a market for OLED with Samsung algorithms for them to sell them at high enough markup that they generate a nice profit
+1   

4 weeks ago '09        #7
Tiko377  OP
 GUCCI C0ND0MS said
OLEDs still don't get bright enough to meet the 1000 nits HDR standard tho
Sony A90J

4 weeks ago '09        #8
Tiko377  OP
 LOONATIK said
They feeling that pressure from Sony with their OLEDS coming lol. Sony amd LG the TV kings to me, I see a lot of low end Samsung’s go out daily though their market share is crazy. They all over the place but if you want a real quality TV Sony or LG is the way to go in my humble opinion
Sony is better

A90J the best OLED out this year.

4 weeks ago '20        #9
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29764 29 K  Slaps total: 5734 5 K
So is lg the brand to buy
+1   

4 weeks ago '09        #10
LOONATIK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 33669 33 K  Slaps total: 4376 4 K
 Xiox said
So is lg the brand to buy
As my man Tiko above said, Sony.

4 weeks ago '06        #11
Insane Mane 
Props total: 263 263  Slaps total: 73 73
I was told the Sony’s do not have hdmi 2.1 though, was I misinformed? I’m waiting on the 2020 model 77” lg cx to go on sale as we speak!

4 weeks ago '11        #12
ghostridah 
Props total: 2136 2 K  Slaps total: 741 741
LG tv's>>>>><>>

4 weeks ago '17        #13
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 14444 14 K  Slaps total: 1429 1 K
Currently have a 2019 QLED, but I'd like to switch to OLED for the awesome black levels and contrast. The problem: they're still not bright enough and none of these companies have solved the burn-in issue. Plus, Samsung is my preferred make, though their software on their smart TVs is pretty garbage.

4 weeks ago '09        #14
Tiko377  OP
 WHATEVERMAN said
Currently have a 2019 QLED, but I'd like to switch to OLED for the awesome black levels and contrast. The problem: they're still not bright enough and none of these companies have solved the burn-in issue. Plus, Samsung is my preferred make, though their software on their smart TVs is pretty garbage.
LG just "updated" their TV software in 2021 but everyone says its a step backwards and is extremely cluttered.

LG C1 & Sony A90J took a step forward in brightness for 2021(Sony is over 1000 Nits)
+1   

4 weeks ago '06        #15
Bilal  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 144602 144 K  Slaps total: 15066 15 K
This is big

4 weeks ago '04        #16
Javon23  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 41258 41 K  Slaps total: 9423 9 K
I Love my Samsung QLED. Shrugs

4 weeks ago '05        #17
Y.G. 
Props total: 26399 26 K  Slaps total: 3566 3 K
 LOONATIK said
No they're not. Samsung outsells Sony easily. The reason they may switch from LCD panels to OLED panels is the rising cost from LCD suppliers in China. Either way, OLED would be a stopgap until they can get MicroLED sets to a reasonable price.

4 weeks ago '17        #18
DavidTheMan 
Props total: 14660 14 K  Slaps total: 8861 8 K
 WHATEVERMAN said
Burn-in isn't an issue with OLED neither is the degredation of the screens over time. Its just inherent to the technology.

I'd say the brigher you push OLED, the more they will have to do to prevent burn in, just like with CRTs.

Its pick your poison, until microLED tech matures.

You either want brightness and settle for lesser blacks or you want deep blacks and settle for lesser brightness.

4 weeks ago '06        #19
yumflip 
Props total: 11921 11 K  Slaps total: 1048 1 K
In the market right now for a new tv. I'm going smart, so I may just go w/Sony. I use all Google platforms anyway, so the integration is simpler. But those LG's are dope as sh*t. I'm still not willing to drop $2k on a tv tho. Everytime I fill my cart on Best Buy I sit there like

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  17
Title f*ght: Canelo Alvarez vs. Billy Joe Saunders (5/8 8pm ET DAZN)
1092 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  11
Article inside Black Panther 2’s Synopsis Is Pretty Cryptic, But Michael B. Jordan H..
58 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+93online now  10
Video inside Man Goes Through His Girlfriend's Phone, Video Calls The Dude She Was D..
188 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  4
Look what Yungeen Ace and Foolio started
37 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy