Toyota unhappy with latest 86, too close to BRZ

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+92  30
89 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section rides

3 weeks ago '19        #1
865 page views
13 comments

unit321  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 31508 31 K  Slaps total: 7625 7 K
Toyota unhappy with latest 86, too close to BRZ

A report from Japanís Next Car Web published last week suggests that Toyota head honcho Akio Toyoda deemed the new 86 too similar to the new BRZ, and told engineers to go back to the drawing board and differentiate the car from its badge-swapped sibling as best they can.

Itís theorized that Toyota could accomplish this by messing with the carís gearing and engine tuning. However, given that the car is essentially complete, the engineers are reportedly struggling to pull off the feat in the 11th hour. It may also push the carís release into next year.
visit this link https://www.msn.com/en-us .. out&li=BBnbfcL

Welp, pretty sure it's their own fault. Who knows how many hours on the track the prototypes went through.

Anyways, I think they could add polyurethane bushings to the suspension for a tighter feel.
+3   

best
worst
13 comments

3 weeks ago '19        #2
MP2019 
Props total: 9294 9 K  Slaps total: 903 903
Part of me wishes they didn’t remake the Supra either. It was legendary and now it just looks
+6   

3 weeks ago '15        #3
ChoAssUp 
Props total: 72186 72 K  Slaps total: 4207 4 K
Should have built their own sh*t and this wouldn't have been a problem
+6   

3 weeks ago '06        #4
Malcolm  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 11066 11 K  Slaps total: 1122 1 K
 ChoAssUp said
/thread
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #5
franchise  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 7317 7 K  Slaps total: 713 713
 ChoAssUp said

sports cars dont make money - so yeah it woulda been different problems/compromises.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #6
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 10603 10 K  Slaps total: 2534 2 K
I dont like any of them new bimmers; they got lexus written all over them... from the L-finesse lights to hideously humongous grilles... smh @ toy yoda

3 weeks ago '19        #7
unit321  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11 OP
 ChoAssUp said
They wanted to share R&D costs on a low volume sports car. They knew what they were getting into... the rebadge business.
+3   

3 weeks ago '15        #8
ChoAssUp 
 unit321 said
They wanted to share R&D costs on a low volume sports car. They knew what they were getting into... the rebadge business.
Yeah I'm aware. But sh*t, stillshould have built your own sh*t to flex and give long time fans and customers/car culture something special again.
+1   

3 weeks ago '19        #9
 ChoAssUp said
Yeah I'm aware. But sh*t, stillshould have built your own sh*t to flex and give long time fans and customers/car culture something special again.
I agree. It's more Subaru than Toyota. If they wanted to go all out on a modernized AE86, they should have developed it off the Toyota Corolla chassis, but made it rear-wheel drive.
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #10
ChoAssUp 
 unit321 said
I agree. It's more Subaru than Toyota. If they wanted to go all out on a modernized AE86, they should have developed it off the Toyota Corolla chassis, but made it rear-wheel drive.
That would have been much cooler. Sometimes I think manufacturers overthink sh*t. A good example of that is the NSX. While that car is amazing and really fast, its needlessly complex. fu*kin thing uses brake-by-wire. That type sh*t has no place in an NSX. The whole purpose of the NSX is to be the elegant and simple, but effective car that all people who love driving want. The NSX went from the car that made Ferrari, Porsche, BMW etc. Step their game up to a somewhat forgotten, almost obscure super car that everyone forgets is still on sale. An 86 based off a RWD converted new Corolla chassis would have been way more dope. I drove a hatchback with a 6 speed and that little car is fun as hell to drive. Cant imagine how much more fun it could be with the engine facing the correct way and driving the correct wheels. They could have used the same 2.0L turbo that Lexus has been using in their base models and everything smh.
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #11
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 156539 156 K  Slaps total: 10811 10 K
But they're the same exact car. That's like complaining the Supra is too close to the Z4.

+1   

3 weeks ago '19        #12
 Naga Sadow said
But they're the same exact car. That's like complaining the Supra is too close to the Z4.

If they put a spoiler kit on it, Akio Toyoda would be like, "This drives much better."
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #13
ChoAssUp 
 MP2019 said
Part of me wishes they didnít remake the Supra either. It was legendary and now it just looks
I couldn't agree more. I get that they wanted to cheap out to save money but damn, how much more money you want?! They have more than enough resources to produce a proper Sports car. I finally got a ride in a 2021 Supra with light mods like meth injection, upgraded heat exchangers, downpipe, 93 tune and bigger brakes. It was fun and really quick but it felt too German/polished. I know times change and cars are supposed to become more refined over time but when it comes to a Sports car I need something that's not so perfect and will scare me a little bit, the Supra doesnt have that imo.

I think they missed the boat on the exterior too. FT-1 rolling over in its grave.

Last edited by ChoAssUp; 03-25-2021 at 11:07 AM..
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #14
TellyHankton337 
Props total: 717 717  Slaps total: 157 157
I’m just cop the Lexus RC
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  20
Who is the greatest cornerback of all time skill wise
165 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-31online now  11
Video inside Apr 15 - Latin Kings have Announced War against the Chicago PD
213 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+43online now  8
Aaron Donald attorney will release video of him being attacked and saving ..
51 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+16online now  5
Apr 15 - Single NJ deli doing $35,000 in sales valued at $100 million in the s..
73 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy