Adam Sandler Insists He's Never 'Phoned It In' Despite What Critics Say

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 weeks ago '18        #1
1274 page views
30 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x32
space
space
Props total: 38253 38 K  Slaps total: 2005 2 K
Adam Sandler Insists He's Never 'Phoned It In' Despite What Critics Say

"When looking at the filmography of comedian and actor Adam Sandler, it is difficult not to be astounded by the clear divide between the kinds of projects he chooses. On the one side, you have such critically acclaimed works as Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch Drunk Love and the recent Safdie Brothers hit Uncut Gems, and on the other stands movies such as the Grown Up series, The Do-Over and, shudder, Jack and Jill. Despite this stark contrast, Sandler himself has now gone on record saying that he has never once phoned in a performance.

"Man, I don't know what the downs have been. I mean, maybe in some people, when they write about me, they talk about my downs. But I don't have any downs. I love every movie I've made. I've never in my entire career phoned one thing in."

Whilst the higher caliber works often garnish Sandler with a vast amount of critical praise, the so-called "downs" of his will usually result in Sandler being labeled a cinematic criminal. The names he is given by critics (and sometimes audiences) are usually then followed up by accusations that the actor is not even trying and is simply showing up to receive a paycheque, but this is now something that Sandler himself has now refuted with great veracity.

Looking at the two distinct halves of the movies he puts his name to, it is hard to argue with Sandler's statement. Whether it be the quasi-offensive insanity of Netlix's The Ridiculous Six, to his vocal work in the animated Hotel Transylvania movies, Sandler more often than not brings a certain level of energy with him every time.

Part of that enthusiasm might be that Sandler tends to choose his projects with a degree of care, including based on whether or not the location such a film is shooting in might be a place he'd love to visit. The latter point might well be why people toy with the idea that he is phoning it in. Still, while critics might find fault with a large amount of Adam Sandler's output, at the very least he seems to be having a good time, even if the audience, perhaps, is not.

Whatever you may think of Sandler's back catalog, the man himself is clearly very happy with the work he has produced and is willing to defend it to the hilt. His most recent movie to fall on the critically acclaimed side is Uncut Gems, a thriller that came out last year. Sandler stars as Howard Ratner, a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score. When he makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime, Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

Directed by Josh and Benny Safdie, who co-wrote the screenplay with Ronald Bronstein, Uncut Gems stars Kevin Garnett, Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, and Eric Bogosian alongside Sandler. This comes to us from CBS News."

visit this link https://movieweb.com/adam .. it-in-netflix/
+4   

best
worst
30 comments

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '19        #2
Big Tymerz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x26
space
space
Props total: 55710 55 K  Slaps total: 38560 38 K
Great actor, funny too
+8   

1 week ago '20        #3
Likeaboss38732 
space
space
Props total: 1066 1 K  Slaps total: 59 59
I randomly thought about Adam Sandler the other day like he's slick underrated, may not be top tier to some, but he's consistently decent/above average.
+7   

1 week ago '17        #4
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
Props total: 95698 95 K  Slaps total: 39973 39 K
Man the movie he got on Netflix with Chris rock and the one he got with Jennifer Aniston is funny as fu*k. Critics hate this dude for no reason
+10   

1 week ago '15        #5
WightAroundYo 
space
space
Props total: 3432 3 K  Slaps total: 552 552
He can act when he’s not in his own movies. He own movies haven’t been funny I’m years
+1   

1 week ago '15        #6
Brewklyner 
space
space
Props total: 11169 11 K  Slaps total: 3789 3 K
He made a bunch of classics he can make duds same for any legend
+3   

1 week ago '12        #7
McGirt876  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 7934 7 K  Slaps total: 648 648
"Man, I don't know what the downs have been. I mean, maybe in some people, when they write about me, they talk about my downs. But I don't have any downs. I love every movie I've made. I've never in my entire career phoned one thing in."

Stopped reading after this cuz this. MF made mills, put his team on every chance he gets and is basically respected by everybody because of his work ethic. Sandler a legend fam
+9   

1 week ago '16        #8
NYNY 
space
space
Props total: 18614 18 K  Slaps total: 3191 3 K
Ol waterboy a*s n*gga
+1   

1 week ago '15        #9
KING SOULJA 
space
space
Props total: 24599 24 K  Slaps total: 11784 11 K
I never understood the hate for Adam Sandler. Maybe I grew up in the right time or was the right age when I was introduced or im just a goofy bastard but Adam is one of the few performers that I can enjoy even on their bad days.
+8   

1 week ago '04        #10
ddash 
space
space
Props total: 14423 14 K  Slaps total: 1004 1 K
Dude a legend

People just miserable

He can do what he want.he earned that right
+9   

1 week ago '18        #11
MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
space
Props total: 8570 8 K  Slaps total: 7546 7 K
 Likeaboss38732 said
I randomly thought about Adam Sandler the other day like he's slick underrated, may not be top tier to some, but he's consistently decent/above average.
He better at serious roles than comedic roles. Click wasnt really a comedy either, it had a great storyline.

But this mf out here thinking he's Eddie wit it, and he not.

1 week ago '15        #12
chasepayper 
space
space
space
Props total: 2894 2 K  Slaps total: 342 342
 KING SOULJA said
I never understood the hate for Adam Sandler. Maybe I grew up in the right time or was the right age when I was introduced or im just a goofy bastard but Adam is one of the few performers that I can enjoy even on their bad days.

Cant be the case, bro... i like him a lot. And I catch my 13 year old son checking for Sandler movies for the past couple of years. Sandler is good across all generations. Haters just gonna do exactly that.
+4   

1 week ago '15        #13
chasepayper 
space
space
space
Props total: 2894 2 K  Slaps total: 342 342
But im not hip to the term, "phoning in". Whats it mean?
+1   

1 week ago '19        #14
Luka Doncic 
space
space
Props total: 7303 7 K  Slaps total: 1614 1 K
 Likeaboss38732 said
He’s up there with Will Ferrel for me

1 week ago '16        #15
Aztlan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 52272 52 K  Slaps total: 6851 6 K
An Adam Sandler movie is perfect for a light shrooms trip.

1 week ago '12        #16
McGirt876  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 7934 7 K  Slaps total: 648 648
 chasepayper said
But im not hip to the term, "phoning in". Whats it mean?
Basically translates to "not doing your best"
+1   

1 week ago '04        #17
doczdaname 
space
space
Props total: 8946 8 K  Slaps total: 1681 1 K
He has been consistent. I don't know how you can hate on the dude, he always is humble as hell and still wears sweats and a shirt to tonight shows. Man has made alot of money but you if you were to meet him and didn't know who he was, you would think he has a 1 bedroom apartment on top of a pizza shop.
+1   

1 week ago '17        #18
International1 
space
space
space
Props total: 10582 10 K  Slaps total: 720 720
Don’t forget about Lil Nicky and em......
Lil Nicky.......Don’t forget......
(Ross voice)

I’m still mad about putting money down for that one

1 week ago '04        #19
Fameus 
space
space
Props total: 7942 7 K  Slaps total: 1914 1 K
Uh oh BX's favorite son, tread lightly.

1 week ago '18        #20
mushrooms 
space
space
space
Props total: 2706 2 K  Slaps total: 342 342
Jim Carrey is goat comedian with serious roles

Man on the moon
Truman show
ESOTSP alone k*ll Sandler

But Sandler is def underrated he can act

1 week ago '04        #21
cuzjuan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 5369 5 K  Slaps total: 2312 2 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
He better at serious roles than comedic roles. Click wasnt really a comedy either, it had a great storyline.

But this mf out here thinking he's Eddie wit it, and he not.
umm eddie made some major major duds tho, both are funny...

sandler has bene a bit more consistent tho
+1   

1 week ago '18        #22
MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
space
Props total: 8570 8 K  Slaps total: 7546 7 K
 cuzjuan said
umm eddie made some major major duds tho, both are funny...

sandler has bene a bit more consistent tho
For me, Eddie been k*lling the movie game. Just about any movie where he in costume, he k*lls.

Adam only did good with them two daddy movies, one of em he was babysitting.

Eddie really mixed real acting with comedy.

1 week ago '04        #23
cuzjuan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 5369 5 K  Slaps total: 2312 2 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
For me, Eddie been k*lling the movie game. Just about any movie where he in costume, he k*lls.

Adam only did good with them two daddy movies, one of em he was babysitting.

Eddie really mixed real acting with comedy.
so every body loved "dave" and "pluto nash"?

those tanked... i liked them but they TANKED bro!

stop with the favortism, i prolly been around longer than you and know what eddie did for movies but stop it 5...

eddie has had his misteps as well...

what about the movie with him in braces,,,,???

norbert or norbit.... really bad sh*t....

Eddie is the GOAT no doubt, but Adam is also a legend!
+1   

1 week ago '14        #24
dftphnx 
space
space
Props total: 213 213  Slaps total: 32 32
quit the cap sandy boi, even eddie murphy admitted to "phoning in". like cmon dude, you mean to tell me NOOOBODY knew jack & jill would be sh*t before it was even fu*king greenlit??

1 week ago '15        #25
Tripsev 
space
space
space
Props total: 1222 1 K  Slaps total: 496 496
 Eclectic said

"When looking at the filmography of comedian and actor Adam Sandler, it is difficult not to be astounded by the clear divide between the kinds of projects he chooses. On the one side, you have such critically acclaimed works as Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch Drunk Love and the recent Safdie Brothers hit Uncut Gems, and on the other stands movies such as the Grown Up series, The Do-Over and, shudder, Jack and Jill. Despite this stark contrast, Sandler himself has now gone on record saying that he has never once phoned in a performance.

Whilst the higher caliber works often garnish Sandler with a vast amount of critical praise, the so-called "downs" of his will usually result in Sandler being labeled a cinematic criminal. The names he is given by critics (and sometimes audiences) are usually then followed up by accusations that the actor is not even trying and is simply showing up to receive a paycheque, but this is now something that Sandler himself has now refuted with great veracity.

Looking at the two distinct halves of the movies he puts his name to, it is hard to argue with Sandler's statement. Whether it be the quasi-offensive insanity of Netlix's The Ridiculous Six, to his vocal work in the animated Hotel Transylvania movies, Sandler more often than not brings a certain level of energy with him every time.

Part of that enthusiasm might be that Sandler tends to choose his projects with a degree of care, including based on whether or not the location such a film is shooting in might be a place he'd love to visit. The latter point might well be why people toy with the idea that he is phoning it in. Still, while critics might find fault with a large amount of Adam Sandler's output, at the very least he seems to be having a good time, even if the audience, perhaps, is not.

Whatever you may think of Sandler's back catalog, the man himself is clearly very happy with the work he has produced and is willing to defend it to the hilt. His most recent movie to fall on the critically acclaimed side is Uncut Gems, a thriller that came out last year. Sandler stars as Howard Ratner, a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score. When he makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime, Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

Directed by Josh and Benny Safdie, who co-wrote the screenplay with Ronald Bronstein, Uncut Gems stars Kevin Garnett, Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, and Eric Bogosian alongside Sandler. This comes to us from CBS News."

Man leave the legend alone. This dude supposedly one of the nicest celebs ever too. Type to buy the whole restaurants meal and sh*t. Great actor. Got some bad movies, but who doesn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  24
YaYa Mayweather Potentially Being Charged With Murder... Girl In Critic..
278 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-18online now  21
Image(s) inside The rest of the world wondering why NY has so many Covid Cases
85 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  7
Gay bros trollin Rich the Kid's IG live hard
39 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+346online now  7
Image(s) inside Apr 4 - I’ve lost 3 family members to Coronavirus this week...
176 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy