GameStop: We can stay open during lockdowns because we're "essential retail"

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 weeks ago '20        #1
2862 page views
51 comments

xxcannonxx  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 5329 5 K  Slaps total: 298 298
GameStop: We can stay open during lockdowns because we're "essential retail"

The struggling video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state or city lockdowns to protect against the covid-19 pandemic, emphasizing that it is “essential retail” alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt from enforced closures.

“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time,” the retailer said in a memo to staff this afternoon, obtained by Kotaku.

“We have received reports of local authorities visiting stores in an attempt to enforce closure despite our classification. Store Managers are approved to provide the document linked below to law enforcement as needed.”

The document in question encourages police officers to call GameStop’s corporate headquarters if they have a problem with this policy.

The retailer said later this afternoon that it would be reducing hours, postponing all events, and suspending used game trade-ins until March 29.

Meanwhile, GameStop employees all across the United States have feared for their safety in the wake of the company’s misguided responses to the covid-19 crisis. “Been with company almost a decade,” one told Kotaku this afternoon. “This is indefensible.”
+11   

best
worst
51 comments

2 weeks ago '04        #2
Explicit 
space
space
Props total: 3377 3 K  Slaps total: 270 270
Clown a*s company
+22   

2 weeks ago '18        #3
Illuminati 8ob  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
space
space
Props total: 42779 42 K  Slaps total: 3043 3 K
They know the reaper is coming for them they just trying to f*ght it off as long as they can. Or they trying to get sued and get it over with.
+24   

2 weeks ago '08        #4
ExNihilo 
space
space
Props total: 36785 36 K  Slaps total: 577 577
Just read the article on Vice.

Rapestop is truly a piece of sh*t company. I try to avoid them as much as possible because it's the directors and not the staff. I was gonna pre-order my next gen from them but the only way consumers can show this isn't cool is to quit purchasing from them completely.
+14   

2 weeks ago '06        #5
Kingme 
space
space
Props total: 15500 15 K  Slaps total: 2935 2 K
GameStop employs a ton of people, if they go under a lot of people lose jobs...but I wonder how much they'd have for a rainy day if they wasn't breaking off executives million bucks salaries all them years when business was booming off of GP.
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #6
Recession  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 23861 23 K  Slaps total: 4219 4 K
Just wow...
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #7
AlBooBoo 
space
space
Props total: 87026 87 K  Slaps total: 14162 14 K
Why not just be open like other restaurants are doing. Just serving people at the door

I’ve seen a few places just having folks order at the door and serving out like that so there isn’t crowds inside they establishment

Game stop could do the same thing. Tell them the game you want and they grab it for you. And you be on your way
+10   

2 weeks ago '20        #8
Nukem Rico 
space
space
space
Props total: 255 255  Slaps total: 150 150
These fu*ks are crashing the economy with no fu*ks given
+3   

2 weeks ago '04        #9
1000bluntz 
space
space
Props total: 25422 25 K  Slaps total: 6344 6 K
They should start carrying TP or something
+4   

2 weeks ago '14        #10
Sphynx 
space
space
Props total: 70690 70 K  Slaps total: 20586 20 K
Only people defending this bullsh*t are 30 year old losers who still spend all their free time playing video games like some damn children

Shame on this trash a*s company.
+9   

2 weeks ago '18        #11
Most Palone 
space
space
Props total: 4303 4 K  Slaps total: 323 323
GameStop is hanging on by a thread

This is the final reach
+7   

2 weeks ago '04        #12
cold_young_thug  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 7833 7 K  Slaps total: 1792 1 K
 xxcannonxx said

The struggling video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state or city lockdowns to protect against the covid-19 pandemic, emphasizing that it is “essential retail” alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt from enforced closures.

“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time,” the retailer said in a memo to staff this afternoon, obtained by Kotaku.

“We have received reports of local authorities visiting stores in an attempt to enforce closure despite our classification. Store Managers are approved to provide the document linked below to law enforcement as needed.”

The document in question encourages police officers to call GameStop’s corporate headquarters if they have a problem with this policy.

The retailer said later this afternoon that it would be reducing hours, postponing all events, and suspending used game trade-ins until March 29.

Meanwhile, GameStop employees all across the United States have feared for their safety in the wake of the company’s misguided responses to the covid-19 crisis. “Been with company almost a decade,” one told Kotaku this afternoon. “This is indefensible.”
And to think this used to be a dream job.
+10   

2 weeks ago '11        #13
marty mcfliz 
space
space
space
Props total: 613 613  Slaps total: 34 34
Digital sales bout to go up. Its that time gamestop....you had a good run
+12   

2 weeks ago '11        #14
bd2eazy 
space
space
Props total: 1270 1 K  Slaps total: 121 121
Worked there in 08. Not surprised in the least.

Company is trash and don't give 2 sh*ts bout they people.

All about a*s kissing.
+5   

2 weeks ago '06        #15
TreZ 
space
space
Props total: 4970 4 K  Slaps total: 1367 1 K
i remember when i was 18 i had an interview and told them i know everything with games n consoles, but no they decided to hire this fat bi*ch who knew NOTHING about video games
+12   

2 weeks ago '04        #16
jsmooth-117 
space
space
space
Props total: 28208 28 K  Slaps total: 3146 3 K
Gamestop is about as essential as a stubbed lego toe.
+3   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '10        #17
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 25059 25 K  Slaps total: 4560 4 K
Why do y’all want business to shut down?

Am I in the twilight zone?

What is it that you think closing a GameStop will do to stop you from catching the flu?

2 weeks ago '15        #18
The South 
space
space
Props total: 22066 22 K  Slaps total: 2784 2 K
 Nautilus O said

What is it that you think closing a GameStop will do to stop you from catching the flu?
You might be.

2 weeks ago '06        #19
Qbert 
space
space
Props total: 17673 17 K  Slaps total: 1817 1 K
 Illuminati 8ob said
They know the reaper is coming for them they just trying to f*ght it off as long as they can. Or they trying to get sued and get it over with.
Do they sell HDMI cables?

#WantedToCopTwistTiesOffAmazonJustToHaveChordsToBu ndle
#InLeftField
#WatchingTVWithThePoerOffYetNotMissingAMoment

2 weeks ago '15        #20
thirssty58 
space
space
Props total: 30871 30 K  Slaps total: 4759 4 K
If you nerds don't take your musty a*ses home yo wheres the national guard
+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #21
ladondaddy 
space
space
Props total: 1914 1 K  Slaps total: 347 347
Americans bein dumb as usual.. we doomed af mayne.. how many intelligent folks is still walkin around, let alone in power?? It appears to b very very few
+4   

2 weeks ago '15        #22
ladondaddy 
space
space
 Nautilus O said

My guy its a fu*kin highly contagious virus goin around and more and more people dying and/or spreadin the sh*t EVERY day.. its not the flu goofy!!!

Buy ya games on ya console store if u HAVE to have some sh*t.. atleast until this sh*t slow down.. u part of the problem cuz u ignorant to the sh*t.. better get informed n use ya head bro 4real.. u lackin out here mentally.. n*ggas aint gon b happy till they catch the sh*t or it k*ll ya granma or uncle or some sh*t.. then yall gon want RIP clout on ya ig/snap/fb.. be better bro.
+4   

2 weeks ago '15        #23
ladondaddy 
space
space
Legit entire cities shutting down and we talkin bout gamestop?!?!? Idiocracy was a documentary 4real..
+3   

2 weeks ago '15        #24
GusMan 
space
space
space
Props total: 910 910  Slaps total: 128 128
 Sphynx said
Only people defending this bullsh*t are 30 year old losers who still spend all their free time playing video games like some damn children

Shame on this trash a*s company.
sh*t no matter if you’re a gamer, it’s stupid. Everything is digital! No reason for them retards to stay open. Anything they have you can find somewhere else and more than likely at a better price. They really should let them folks go home instead of potentially exposing them to the virus more.
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #25
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
Props total: 95587 95 K  Slaps total: 39923 39 K
GameStop gets alot of unnecessary hate. Traded in my PS4 Pro along with unopened GTAV, God War, RDR2 and they gave me a steal of a deal. Ended up walking out with a $50 gamestop gift card and $15 worth of in-store credit.
+4   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  40
Floyd Mayweather’s daughter has been arrested after stabbing NBA YOUNGB..
63 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+267online now  30
Image(s) inside Apr 4 - I’ve lost 3 family members to Coronavirus this week...
150 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+29online now  19
Image(s) inside Young chop posted a suspect pic of waka and southside
148 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Tonight @ 9PM Est : T-Pain VS Lil Jon 🔥🔥🔥