Why Pop Smoke was so important

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
166 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section hiphop

1 month ago '19        #1
5367 page views
310 comments

Laron Burgundy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
space
space
space
Props total: 4514 4 K  Slaps total: 1362 1 K
Why Pop Smoke was so important

New York rappers typically don't have the basic skills it takes to make a hit song. They used to when New York was on top but for the last decade in a half it's been quiet. Every once in a while a new york rapper will luck up and catch one, but then it's quiet for that second and third single. New York has had a lot of Papoose "nasty Times" throughout the years.

One thing Biggie had was the ability to set the tone of any track with his voice alone. On top of that he knew what to say, when to say it, when to throw in an adlib, what designers to shout out etc. He knew how to make the grimiest n*ggas bop their heads and how to make the prettiest women shake their a*s at the same time, Pop Smoke had that same ability. He showed it on Welcome To The Party and Dior. Pop Smoke was a POLISHED song maker and we haven't seen that in a while from New York, maybe since Max B. And even Max B's mixing was bad and sometimes he got ahead or behind himself with his doubles.

Pop Smoke's music also paid homage to the New York greats before him, he shouted the designers like Biggie, he had a vibe like early 50 and he growled like DMX. New York has been struggling to "bring New york back" for a long time. What does that even mean? It means to bring back the soul and energy that made the New York the mecca of rap but adding something new to it so that it doesn't sound dated compared to these new sounds Future, Thugger, Migos, Lil Baby etc are using. Pop Smoke accomplished that. He had the ability to jump on a song with Migos and Travis Scott but then get on a song with a old washed up rapper New York rapper like Maino or somebody and give him another hit, he would've been that bridge. Tekashi did a lot of the things I'm mentioning right now but he wasn't authentic and that was known from the start. Bobby Shmurda is dope but he's not a POLISHED song maker. People love his rawness.

His lyrical abilities weren't the craziest but he was only 20 and he did talk about real sh*t, as he got older I'm sure those stories would have gotten more detailed and personal. Also on top of bringing the griminess and aggression back, he was also a fly n*gga. We haven't really seen a grimy fly n*gga since Biggie. And last, most fans today care about image more than anything. Pop Smoke was deep into fashion, just got back from Paris so that's a plus and most of all. He loved to DANCE.. So even if you're just a kid who doesn't care about bars and only fashion and corny dances, he could pull you in. He could pull the grimy old ny heads in, he could pull the bi*ches in. He pulled the south in already, most of his collabs are with south artists. He was an artist who could reach everybody and back when DMX, Ja Rule, Pac, Biggie and Hov were on top, that was an ability you had to have. New York needed this savior and rap as a whole needed this balance. This was a huge loss. This may be my last Pop Smoke thread because I been going overboard with them, but I just wanted to break down how much talent we really just got stripped of

Last edited by Laron Burgundy; 02-26-2020 at 11:58 AM..

best
worst
310 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
Sincere730 
space
space
Props total: 22389 22 K  Slaps total: 3075 3 K
Aint nobody reading all that
+149   

1 month ago '14        #3
mrwoods2 
space
space
Props total: 8992 8 K  Slaps total: 650 650
 Sincere730 said
Lmao
+10   

1 month ago '07        #4
FeedTheBeast 
space
space
Props total: 15611 15 K  Slaps total: 1578 1 K
Nobody was checking for this dude like that.......sad he had to die but come on
+36   

1 month ago '17        #5
CJ Schwarz 
space
space
Props total: 30328 30 K  Slaps total: 2227 2 K
NY is waiting for Bobby and Rowdy to come back, but Pop would have been a great addition to the new collection of Rappers from the city, especially coming outta BK.
+32   

1 month ago '19        #6
beamjawn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 3023 3 K  Slaps total: 2681 2 K
 FeedTheBeast said
n*ggas was hatin that's why. Ima keep it a buck people who don't like that n*gga the same type of n*ggas who k*lled him. I ain't gon front. I try to love everybody and fu*k with everybody and not hate on no one. So when I see n*ggas be sayin n*ggas trash I just laugh because they can't do what he doin.. try making your voice like his and havin them beats hit and the delivery hit the same way. I bet you can't do it but n*ggas will say it's trash. Lol see me.. I'm different tho I don't gon get too deep. When he first came out, my bx n*ggas was like yo this n*gga took your style bro I'm like who.. and then they showed meet the woo I'm like oh ok.. I fu*k with it tho.. idk his death is definitely a big loss to rap.. sh*t is more trash than ever before now.. I ain't hype for nobody to pop out except for my n*ggas and a few other artists Im on.. n*ggas gotta stop hatin.. I'm a keep it even more a buck.. Anybody that says anybody is trash, they really sayin they hate the person, not that the dudes makes bad music.. everytime I ever see a n*gga is trash I be knowing why.. lol n*ggas for insecurities like little babies n*gga cryin and sh*t because u feel emasculated and allat gay a*s n*ggas.. I'm done talking

1 month ago '19        #7
space
space
 CJ Schwarz said
NY is waiting for Bobby and Rowdy to come back, but Pop would have been a great addition to the new collection of Rappers from the city, especially coming outta BK.
I ain't gon lie.. fu*k them n*ggas.. they definitely not bringing nothing back.. I say it with the utmost respect tho but.. what they gon do like... like what are they gonna say on a beat that's gon make me hype.. I ain't gon lie.. alotta rappers don't get me hype.. I be just layin down waiting for n*ggas to do something interesting.. I get bored easy and fast.. pop smoke was not boring me that's all I'mma say.. he was on the timing I was on in my mind.. that's why I fu*k with him.. he was boming like how I be boming.. alotta n*ggas still don't get it I get it tho.. lol it's bool tho .. fivio got some heat tho.. Sosa geek got some sh*t and a couple n*ggas I'm watching.. but we gon need some new energy frfr if ny gon keep it up.. it's gon get stale real quick.. we don't need no more young ma type n*ggas too..none of that sh*t

Last edited by beamjawn; 02-26-2020 at 12:30 PM..

1 month ago '10        #8
SmoothTay 
space
space
Props total: 54466 54 K  Slaps total: 7798 7 K
 FeedTheBeast said
You wasn’t.. we was d*ckhead
+17   

1 month ago '09        #9
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
space
space
Props total: 160333 160 K  Slaps total: 19706 19 K
didnt read

slapped for comparing him to biggie
+16   

1 month ago '19        #10
Bklynzfinest 
space
space
space
Props total: 6954 6 K  Slaps total: 813 813
RIP, bu if the first time I'm listening to your music is after u died, then I can't say how he was so "important"....i'm willing to see if dude was talented...and it's like ehh to me...what I heard don't make him stand out to me...but still sad to see one of my BK bredren and any young kid go out like that.
+10   

1 month ago '18        #11
antisocial100 
space
space
Props total: 8026 8 K  Slaps total: 2397 2 K
 Sincere730 said
Of course not you guys are Mayweather in the head but Not in the pockets
+6   

1 month ago '16        #12
FutureHipHop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 7632 7 K  Slaps total: 5365 5 K
Pop Smoke the next GOAT since Pac, legend since BIG, lyricist since Nas

1 month ago '19        #13
space
space
 Laron Burgundy said
New York rappers typically don't have the basic skills it takes to make a hit song. They used to when New York was on top but for the last decade in a half it's been quiet. Every once in a while a new york rapper will luck up and catch one, but then it's quiet for that second and third single. New York has had a lot of Papoose "nasty Times" throughout the years.

One thing Biggie had was the ability to set the tone of any track with his voice alone. On top of that he knew what to say, when to say it, when to throw in an adlib, what designers to shout out etc. He knew how to make the grimiest n*ggas bop their heads and how to make the prettiest women shake their a*s at the same time, Pop Smoke had that same ability. He showed it on Welcome To The Party and Dior. Pop Smoke was a POLISHED song maker and we haven't seen that in a while from New York, maybe since Max B. And even Max B's mixing was bad and sometimes he got ahead or behind himself with his doubles.

Pop Smoke's music also paid homage to the New York greats before him, he shouted the designers like Biggie, he had a vibe like early 50 and he growled like DMX. New York has been struggling to "bring New york back" for a long time. What does that even mean? It means to bring back the soul and energy that made the New York the mecca of rap but adding something new to it so that it doesn't sound dated compared to these new sounds Future, Thugger, Migos, Lil Baby etc are using. Pop Smoke accomplished that. He had the ability to jump on a song with Migos and Travis Scott but then get on a song with a old washed up rapper New York rapper like Maino or somebody and give him another hit, he would've been that bridge. Tekashi did a lot of the things I'm mentioning right now but he wasn't authentic and that was known from the start. Bobby Shmurda is dope but he's not a POLISHED song maker. People love his rawness.

His lyrical abilities weren't the craziest but he was only 20 and he did talk about real sh*t, as he got older I'm sure those stories would have gotten more detailed and personal. Also on top of bringing the griminess and aggression back, he was also a fly n*gga. We haven't really seen a grimy fly n*gga since Biggie. And last, most fans today care about image more than anything. Pop Smoke was deep into fashion, just got back from Paris so that's a plus and most of all. He loved to DANCE.. So even if you're just a kid who doesn't care about bars and only fashion and corny dances, he could pull you in. He could pull the grimy old ny heads in, he could pull the bi*ches in. He pulled the south in already, most of his collabs are with south artists. He was an artist who could reach everybody and back when DMX, Ja Rule, Pac, Biggie and Hov were on top, that was an ability you had to have. New York needed this savior and rap as a whole needed this balance. This was a huge loss. This may be my last Pop Smoke thread because I been going overboard with them, but I just wanted to break down how much talent we really just got stripped of
I ain't gon lie.. I don't know if it's just me. But I lost two people this year.. and I still feel they energy around me.. this n*gga pop smoke gave me the same effect like is it me or can you still feel this n*gga's sh*t in the air like.. n*gga presence was so strong, it's like the n*gga never left on some weird sh*t.. it don't feel real.. like a fu*kin video game or something idk.. he definitely exposdd some sh*t I ain't gon talk on.. I already know ya n*ggas gon be like this n*gga right here so I'm layin low for a while.. ya n*ggas lol

1 month ago '19        #14
Punch Out 
space
space
Props total: 5805 5 K  Slaps total: 1649 1 K
 beamjawn said
n*ggas was hatin that's why. Ima keep it a buck people who don't like that n*gga the same type of n*ggas who k*lled him. I ain't gon front. I try to love everybody and fu*k with everybody and not hate on no one. So when I see n*ggas be sayin n*ggas trash I just laugh because they can't do what he doin.. try making your voice like his and havin them beats hit and the delivery hit the same way. I bet you can't do it but n*ggas will say it's trash. Lol see me.. I'm different tho I don't gon get too deep. When he first came out, my bx n*ggas was like yo this n*gga took your style bro I'm like who.. and then they showed meet the woo I'm like oh ok.. I fu*k with it tho.. idk his death is definitely a big loss to rap.. sh*t is more trash than ever before now.. I ain't hype for nobody to pop out except for my n*ggas and a few other artists Im on.. n*ggas gotta stop hatin.. I'm a keep it even more a buck.. Anybody that says anybody is trash, they really sayin they hate the person, not that the dudes makes bad music.. everytime I ever see a n*gga is trash I be knowing why.. lol n*ggas for insecurities like little babies n*gga cryin and sh*t because u feel emasculated and allat gay a*s n*ggas.. I'm done talking
 beamjawn said
I ain't gon lie.. fu*k them n*ggas.. they definitely not bringing nothing back.. I say it with the utmost respect tho but.. what they gon do like... like what are they gonna say on a beat that's gon make me hype.. I ain't gon lie.. alotta rappers don't get me hype.. I be just layin down waiting for n*ggas to do something interesting.. I get bored easy and fast.. pop smoke was not boring me that's all I'mma say.. he was on the timing I was on in my mind.. that's why I fu*k with him.. he was boming like how I be boming.. alotta n*ggas still don't get it I get it tho.. lol it's bool tho .. fivio got some heat tho.. Sosa geek got some sh*t and a couple n*ggas I'm watching.. but we gon need some new energy frfr if ny gon keep it up.. it's gon get stale real quick.. we don't need no more young ma type n*ggas too..none of that sh*t
When you was typing this sh*t up,did you really think n*ggas was about to read it? n*gga wrote a dissertation

+12   

1 month ago '19        #15
space
space
 Punch Out said
When you was typing this sh*t up,did you really think n*ggas was about to read it? n*gga wrote a dissertation

More for myself than for ya n*ggas. suck my d*ck tho

1 month ago '07        #16
FeedTheBeast 
space
space
 beamjawn said
I never heard of the man until he got murdered. But you know people have their own taste and opinions right?? Some do hate for no reason but not everyone whom dislikes something is "hating".
+5   

1 month ago '07        #17
FeedTheBeast 
space
space
 SmoothTay said
You wasn’t.. we was d*ckhead
Thats fine.....so I guess yall bout to make him a legend now too huh??
+2   

1 month ago '19        #18
space
space
I've probably said suck my d*ck to n*ggas on boxden more than I've said it to girls in real life.. that's fu*kin sad.. y'all n*ggas is fu*kin weird and disrespctful.. I be chilling but ya n*ggas be making me want to violate ya.. I ain't gon lie.. I'm off this sh*t fr.. I'm taking a break from boxden after this sh*t.. sh*t is wack and dry in here.. lame a*s n*ggas wanna talk about the same old bullsh*t every fu*kin day kappin and laughin.. n*gga life ain't no joke n*gga.. ya n*ggas is f*g**ts fr klowns ..

Last edited by beamjawn; 02-26-2020 at 12:53 PM..

1 month ago '19        #19
Punch Out 
space
space
Props total: 5805 5 K  Slaps total: 1649 1 K
 beamjawn said
More for myself than for ya n*ggas. suck my d*ck tho
n*gga you wrote up a whole fu*king wikipedia page about that f*g**t a*s rapper for yourself?

n*gga you really is fu*king retarded!
+4   

1 month ago '19        #20
space
space
 FeedTheBeast said
I never heard of the man until he got murdered. But you know people have their own taste and opinions right?? Some do hate for no reason but not everyone whom dislikes something is "hating".
I'm not saying he the best rapper in the world but you gotta stop frontin like his sh*t wasn't hittin.. his sh*t was hittin different.. u gotta admit.. just face it.. fr .. ya n*ggas just be hating and cuttin n*ggas a*s til n*ggas die .. sh*t is corny

1 month ago '19        #21
space
space
 Punch Out said
n*gga you wrote up a whole fu*king wikipedia page about that f*g**t a*s rapper for yourself?

n*gga you really is fu*king retarded!
I write a lot of sh*t for myself on here n*gga. I'm not thinking about ya n*ggas. I'm not gay. I like to hear myself talk n*gga. It's entertaining to me n*gga. Stfu n*gga. I don't know you. I don't want to hear you talk. Damn. If you don't like what I'm saying go somewhere bi*ch a*s n*gga. U SUCKIN my BEEF!!

1 month ago '13        #22
gow 
space
space
Props total: 1623 1 K  Slaps total: 1169 1 K

+2   

1 month ago '19        #23
space
space
Problem with you n*ggas is you can't even give n*ggas credit where credit is due. I give n*ggas credit because I would like for n*ggas to give me credit and not be too proud to say they fu*k with my sh*t.. So yea I say sh*t for myself.. I don't think about ya n*ggas.. I'm living good n*gga. That's it.

1 month ago '19        #24
space
space
I be hearing n*ggas saying fivio next and sh*t but I ain't gon lie.. how he next when he sound like everyone else? Demons.. winning.. sinning.. drillin.. spillin.. bodies.. missin.. we find em.. we hit em.. lift em.. how is that next? how is he next n*gga?

1 month ago '13        #25
gow 
space
space
Props total: 1623 1 K  Slaps total: 1169 1 K
why are u calling me the bi*ch

if u've never met me
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  62
Video inside Kooda B Goes On Ig Live After Being Released From Prison
32 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  28
Apr 1 - The US is losing its world superpower status - failure -Covid-19
47 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+38online now  15
Kendrick Perkins Has Credit Card Declined After Kids Spend 16k On Fortnite
116 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+31online now  9
Article inside Mannie Fresh Replaces T-Pain In Scott Storch Instagram Live Battle
451 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy