office worker reveals soul-crushing past paycheck for 171 hours of overtime

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section wild 'ish

1 month ago '04        #1
5236 page views
48 comments

mr_underground|m  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 44705 44 K  Slaps total: 3673 3 K
office worker reveals soul-crushing past paycheck for 171 hours of overtime

“My wages when I was 22 years old. For 171 hours of overtime, after deducting taxes, I got 227,000 yen. (US$2,067) Every month I did at least 120 hours of overtime, and I never received a bonus. [Many Japanese companies bonuses to workers twice a year, in June and December.] I lived in the company dorms and I only visited family twice a year. My annual salary was 2,800,000 yen. (US$25,875) After taxes, it became 1,790,000 yen. (US$16,303) When I brought this up [to my supervisor], I was told: “You don’t know anything about how cruel society can be. Even if your wage is low, you need to come to work and suck it up.” And with that, I quit that job right there.”

---

- Japan's medium income is $29,798 a year. which is still low for there work culture.

- a new law was passed to limit overtime work to 45 hours a month.
+22   

best
worst
48 comments

1 month ago '17        #2
Enzo8733 
space
space
Props total: 225 225  Slaps total: 7 7

Damn shame
+10   

1 month ago '13        #3
beazy252 
space
space
Props total: 1283 1 K  Slaps total: 209 209
damn he needed the app to see the FULL CHECK deductions n all damn playa
+6   

1 month ago '10        #4
BIGthingsSON2 
space
space
Props total: 9577 9 K  Slaps total: 1294 1 K
So i watch a lotta action anime and you notice a theme. Every1 whos righteous isnt scared to work. The guy who tries to play the system never wins ( unless he's a "genius")

It kinda gives you an idea of their culture. Working is something they just accept. Corporations are the same everywhere so they run that culture ragged. American culture almost inherently protect us from that.
+22   

1 month ago '08        #5
H Class 
space
space
Props total: 780 780  Slaps total: 13 13
 BIGthingsSON2 said
So i watch a lotta action anime and you notice a theme. Every1 whos righteous isnt scared to work. The guy who tries to play the system never wins ( unless he's a "genius")

It kinda gives you an idea of their culture. Working is something they just accept. Corporations are the same everywhere so they run that culture ragged. American culture almost inherently protect us from that.
Go beyond...plus ultra??
+26   

1 month ago '19        #6
sinsay 
space
space
space
Props total: 1821 1 K  Slaps total: 252 252
 BIGthingsSON2 said

Maybe I'm readin you wrong but idk bro isn't that working sh*t a very large part of our culture also? College isn't pressed upon us so we can go out there and own our own businesses, it's pressed upon us so we can go out there and be a successful member of the workforce.
Think about it, when you meet someone for the first time one of the first few questions you get asked is "what do you do?". Check the context in that statement. No need to mention "for work" cause that's implied and everyone knows what you mean when you ask that. Why do we all have to be doing something? It's as if we find it absolutely farfetched and impossible to just be living and enjoying yourself
+35   

1 month ago '08        #7
H Class 
space
space
Props total: 780 780  Slaps total: 13 13
 mr_underground said

“My wages when I was 22 years old. For 171 hours of overtime, after deducting taxes, I got 227,000 yen. (US$2,067) Every month I did at least 120 hours of overtime, and I never received a bonus. [Many Japanese companies bonuses to workers twice a year, in June and December.] I lived in the company dorms and I only visited family twice a year. My annual salary was 2,800,000 yen. (US$25,875) After taxes, it became 1,790,000 yen. (US$16,303) When I brought this up [to my supervisor], I was told: “You don’t know anything about how cruel society can be. Even if your wage is low, you need to come to work and suck it up.” And with that, I quit that job right there.”

---

- Japan's medium income is $29,798 a year. which is still low for there work culture.

- a new law was passed to limit overtime work to 45 hours a month.
Sheesh.

1 month ago '04        #8
eazyvaboy 
space
space
Props total: 24910 24 K  Slaps total: 1259 1 K
This is crazy because Japan is expensive as f*ck to live in.

+7   

1 month ago '07        #9
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x40
space
space
Props total: 133694 133 K  Slaps total: 13777 13 K
 eazyvaboy said

+7   

1 month ago '16        #10
NYNY 
space
space
Props total: 18778 18 K  Slaps total: 3234 3 K
n*ggas get overworked to death in Japan
+6   

1 month ago '18        #11
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 22554 22 K  Slaps total: 2396 2 K
At least they n*gga had the balls to quit that fu*k sh*t. That's what's up
+15   

1 month ago '12        #12
Boo The Fool 
space
space
Props total: 8575 8 K  Slaps total: 702 702
If I had 171 hours of OT, that’s at least a 6k check after taxes
+16   

1 month ago '15        #13
CZNM22 
space
space
Props total: 1011 1 K  Slaps total: 31 31
That fully remote software developer life >>

+9   

1 month ago '13        #14
boopityboop 
space
space
Props total: 9228 9 K  Slaps total: 966 966
Couldn't be me
+2   

1 month ago '12        #15
Boo The Fool 
space
space
Props total: 8575 8 K  Slaps total: 702 702
No wonder suicide and low child birth rates are so high.
+10   

1 month ago '16        #16
mobchip 
space
space
Props total: 7620 7 K  Slaps total: 1085 1 K
 mr_underground said

That's pretty much on par with most developed countries. That's a few thousands more than most single and unattached people in Toronto, Canada in 2019.

If you're not able to get over $70,000 a year on your own you will within a family of two or more people.
+2   

1 month ago '18        #17
Dehone 
space
space
Props total: 20795 20 K  Slaps total: 898 898
 NYNY said
n*ggas get overworked to death in Japan
Literally

+5   

1 month ago '10        #18
KJHARDY 
space
space
Props total: 22097 22 K  Slaps total: 2940 2 K

1 month ago '15        #19
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 9448 9 K  Slaps total: 1444 1 K
As someone that lives here. I myself have been self employed and free lance for most of my life. I will say this tho and i always explain this to people back west. A day in Japan is like a half a week in America. Just had my father in laws 葬式(funeral and shinto creamation). All the family came down and we did it in 3 days it was super surreal to me because i just saw him the night before looking at me talking to me on his death bed.

This is why a lot of kids that come out here thinking teaching english is the lick can’t even hang hapf a year the work culture here is wild. Glad I am established in what I do, but honestly to live here in Japan i would work at a Gyomu Suupa. The quality of life here is just so fu*king amazing. Also inflation is not as bad here and taxes are still relatively low. A lot cheaper than my last couple years in the Bay area i will tell ya what.

The expensive to live in Japan sh*t is mostly a myth perpetuated by tourists or people from out west living here on measley JEt wages. Lets compare someone working to a dollar store in California to one that works at a dollar shop here in Osaka for instance.
+11   

1 month ago '19        #20
PierreBlackman 
space
space
space
Props total: 616 616  Slaps total: 25 25
 H Class said
Go beyond...plus ultra??

+1   

1 month ago '06        #21
Qbert 
space
space
Props total: 17776 17 K  Slaps total: 1831 1 K
 CALL AGAIN said
As someone that lives here. I myself have been self employed and free lance for most of my life. I will say this tho and i always explain this to people back west. A day in Japan is like a half a week in America. Just had my father in laws 葬式(funeral and shinto creamation). All the family came down and we did it in 3 days it was super surreal to me because i just saw him the night before looking at me talking to me on his death bed.

This is why a lot of kids that come out here thinking teaching english is the lick can’t even hang hapf a year the work culture here is wild. Glad I am established in what I do, but honestly to live here in Japan i would work at a Gyomu Suupa. The quality of life here is just so fu*king amazing. Also inflation is not as bad here and taxes are still relatively low. A lot cheaper than my last couple years in the Bay area i will tell ya what.

The expensive to live in Japan sh*t is mostly a myth perpetuated by tourists or people from out west living here on measley JEt wages. Lets compare someone working to a dollar store in California to one that works at a dollar shop here in Osaka for instance.
I wanted to come out there to try milkybaby. Honestly I seen week stays for under a g.

1 month ago '17        #22
Coffee 
space
space
space
Props total: 16236 16 K  Slaps total: 4742 4 K
 eazyvaboy said

You don’t understand how cruel the world can be. Work harder.
+2   

1 month ago '15        #23
40 acres 
space
space
Props total: 10678 10 K  Slaps total: 1583 1 K
Crazy I would rather join the Yakuza. fu*k it turn up then die
+7   

1 month ago '15        #24
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 9448 9 K  Slaps total: 1444 1 K
 Qbert said
I wanted to come out there to try milkybaby. Honestly I seen week stays for under a g.
Lol you know milkbaby? I stumbled upon that joint my boy lives down the street haahaa thats funny if we are talking the same milkbaby in amagasaki

1 month ago '19        #25
squadwhats 
space
space
Props total: 1206 1 K  Slaps total: 56 56
 CALL AGAIN said

Bro, you always come with that good analysis.

I am in the Bay and finally have a date where I expect to move out there- June 2021.

You've helped me out before with some solid advice, so I gotta ask again:

You got any cities you'd recommend living in? I am eyeing Tokyo, but if there's a better option, I am down for it.
+5   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+221online now  18
Well, one of us has covid-19.
418 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+101online now  18
Video inside Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990 full movie
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
-55online now  5
Image(s) inside Bhad Bhabie has completed her transformation to enter the African Amer..
193 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+30online now  3
Video inside Tyler says him & Asap Rocky cuddle while watching movies together
90 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy