Feb 17 - NYC subway thief thanks Dems on 139th arrest, release: 'Bail reform, it’s lit!

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
158 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '05        #1
1896 page views
46 comments

bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
space
Props total: 5753 5 K  Slaps total: 2117 2 K
Feb 17 - NYC subway thief thanks Dems on 139th arrest, release: 'Bail reform, it’s lit!

NYC subway thief thanks Democrats after his 139th arrest, release: 'Bail reform, it’s lit!'

A serial thief who has racked up 139 arrests in New York City for pickpocketing unsuspecting subway commuters has thanked the Democrats because bail reform allows him to commit more crimes.

‘I’m famous!’ Charles Barry, 56, told a New York Daily News reporter outside Manhattan Criminal Court on Saturday after he was released due to the new lenient law.

‘I take $200, $300 a day of your money, cracker! You can’t stop me!’

Barry has been arrested six times so far in 2020 - and each time he has been freed without paying bail thanks to a new state law that went into effect on January 1.

As police led Barry out of a precinct on Thursday after his latest arrest, he yelled to a reporter: ‘Bail reform, it’s lit!’

‘It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me.

‘You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!’

On two occasions, he was arrested for stealing money from subway commuters who were in the process of buying Metrocards from the vending machines in the subway station.

On January 19, Barry allegedly stole $50 out of a woman’s hand inside the subway station at West 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue near Manhattan’s Bryant Park.

He was then issued a desk appearance ticket for failing to show up for a court hearing.

The arrests in 2020 are in addition to the 133 other arrests for crimes like grand larceny, petty larceny, and fraudulent accosting, according to the New York Daily News.

The new law in New York State, which was passed after Democrats took control of the legislature in Albany, requires judges to release those accused of misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies.

In order to ensure that those arrested return for their court dates, the judge may impose non-monetary conditions, like electronic monitoring or supervised release.

If someone is suspected of committing a violent felony and the judge is not convinced that he or she will show up for their court date, the judge can impose bail.

Supporters of the reform say it is necessary to reduce the pre-trial jail population and combat mass incarceration.

Opponents say that it allows recidivist criminals to continue committing crimes without a deterrent.

Since Barry’s crimes are considered nonviolent, judges are not allowed to send him to jail while his case awaits trial.

According to authorities, Barry has a history of sneaking up on commuters and stealing their wallets.

Police say he has even pretended to be a Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker and offered help to riders buying subway cards, only to run off with their cash and credit cards.

The 56-year-old Barry has served six terms in state prison.

He was sentenced after being convicted for selling drugs as well as grand larceny.

A transit police officer says the new bail reform law is to blame for Barry’s continuing to commit crimes.

‘At least before, he’d be remanded and be behind bars for a couple of days. He wouldn’t be able to victimize people,’ said a*sistant Chief Gerald Dieckmann, the No. 2 officer in the NYPD’s Transit Bureau.

Critics of the bail law say it should be amended so that judges have some discretion to impose bail on potentially dangerous suspects.

But supporters of the bail law accuse the NYPD of amplifying Barry’s arrests to promote their agenda.

‘We adamantly oppose any changes to the bail law as it is written,’ The Legal Aid Society said in a statement.

The LAS, which is representing Barry, says putting him in jail does no one any good.

‘Mr. Barry’s case underscores the need for economic stability and meaningful social services, not a need to rollback bail reform,’ the Society said in a statement.

‘Locking up Mr. Barry on unaffordable bail or worse, remanding without bail, ultimately does nothing to protect the public and fails entirely to address his actual needs.’

visit this link https://www.dailymail.co. .. th-ARREST.html

best
worst
46 comments

1 month ago '16        #2
OWPE 
space
space
Props total: 20387 20 K  Slaps total: 27943 27 K
Good job democrats

1 month ago '16        #3
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 19214 19 K  Slaps total: 1524 1 K
You should actually read the article before talking sh*t. This sh*t is all propaganda, trying to pump up nuisance crimes into something more than what they really are. Let's ignore the fact that crime in general is down and at historic lows let's also ignore that wage theft is a bigger problem than any other form of theft. And focus on this one dude

P. S.
Dude is still gonna get prosecuted and will be ducking booty bandits upstate shortly. Yall act like he's getting away with 0 repercussions
+23   

1 month ago '11        #4
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
space
space
Props total: 121799 121 K  Slaps total: 17773 17 K
the mans been arrest 139 times before this and you think holding him on bail this time is going to scare him away from a lifetime of crime

Last edited by Sin; 02-18-2020 at 09:27 AM..
+17   

1 month ago '06        #5
Skateboard T 
space
space
Props total: 55661 55 K  Slaps total: 7653 7 K
lol this the best yall got?

Crime down, justice and fairness is up...

Yall got any hard data related to "failure to appear" charges?

That's really how we evaluate this policy:
Are failure to appear charges increasing or not?

If they are, retool the policy.
If they aren't, then good for us, we made it work without cash bail.
+5   

1 month ago '10        #6
Frasier  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 13787 13 K  Slaps total: 14969 14 K

Go Democrats!!! fu*k yeah

1 month ago '05        #7
ONESUN187  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 2975 2 K  Slaps total: 895 895
 Proveone said
You should actually read the article before talking sh*t. This sh*t is all propaganda, trying to pump up nuisance crimes into something more than what they really are. Let's ignore the fact that crime in general is down and at historic lows let's also ignore that wage theft is a bigger problem than any other form of theft. And focus on this one dude

P. S.
Dude is still gonna get prosecuted and will be ducking booty bandits upstate shortly. Yall act like he's getting away with 0 repercussions
I dont know where your getting your data from but since 2020 started along with the bail reform.crime has skyrocketed in the subways,on the streets, people getting slashed everyday over here for nothing and it's only getting worse.

1 month ago '04        #8
young_fletch 
space
space
space
Props total: 1457 1 K  Slaps total: 356 356
 ONESUN187 said
I dont know where your getting your data from but since 2020 started along with the bail reform.crime has skyrocketed in the subways,on the streets, people getting slashed everyday over here for nothing and it's only getting worse.
crime just up because it was hottest January in history. Temperature and crime are proven relation. And murders and robberies are down 17% and 20% each. So dont get hype, they still out here hitting whole hood with conspiracy charges that you cant walk on. Bet you not even in the city.
+3   

1 month ago '05        #9
space
space
 young_fletch said
crime just up because it was hottest January in history. Temperature and crime are proven relation. And murders and robberies are down 17% and 20% each. So dont get hype, they still out here hitting whole hood with conspiracy charges that you cant walk on. Bet you not even in the city.
I live in the bronx and travel to the city everyday during the week for work and up and about on the weekends and you really have to watch your back traveling cuz sh*t is happening spur of the moment.

1 month ago '17        #10
ddy807 
space
space
Props total: 16040 16 K  Slaps total: 724 724
+1   

1 month ago '16        #11
The Waraba  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 5304 5 K  Slaps total: 1100 1 K
Where are they trying to go with this ?
What the fu*k did I just read ?
+3   

1 month ago '05        #12
bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
space
space
space
 Proveone said

P. S.

NYC has spike in shootings, other major crimes to start year

‘Burberry Bandit’ bank robber busted again after bail reform release
+1   

1 month ago '16        #13
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
Props total: 4497 4 K  Slaps total: 1173 1 K
 Proveone said

P. S.
Not to mention he needs help with his mental health.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #14
MajestyMell 
space
space
Props total: 150 150  Slaps total: 69 69
Bail reform got Brooklyn going ham. Not gonna lie, sh*t lit. n*ggas coming straight home. Best thing since sliced bread.

1 month ago '16        #15
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 19214 19 K  Slaps total: 1524 1 K
 bobbysteels18 said

You're quoting The Post..

Correlation doesn't equal causation

Last edited by Proveone; 02-17-2020 at 05:44 PM..

1 month ago '11        #16
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
space
space
Props total: 121799 121 K  Slaps total: 17773 17 K
 bobbysteels18 said

The past two weekends I’ve been to NYC, philly and DC all liberal run city’s and i felt safe as hell in all 3
+1   

1 month ago '12        #17
kej718 
space
space
space
Props total: 7116 7 K  Slaps total: 413 413
The reason for Bail Reform.

Kalief Browder spent three years on Rikers Island because his family could not raise $3,000, only to have charges dropped in 2013 for lack of evidence. He later took his own life. He was in solitary confinement for two of these years.

Before you stupid motherfu*kers start talking sh*t. They was putting people in jail who couldn't make bail whether guilty or innocent. They were stuck there until it went to trial. So if you had to go to work too bad, if you had a family to take care of oh well. On top of all that you are in jail with actual criminals who may physically or s*xually a*sault you.
+15   

1 month ago '16        #18
galou 
space
space
Props total: 1680 1 K  Slaps total: 192 192
There's a recent spike in crime all over nyc. You gotta be a hermit not to notice

Protect ya neck yo
+2   

1 month ago '06        #19
Skateboard T 
space
space
Props total: 55661 55 K  Slaps total: 7653 7 K
 kej718 said
The reason for Bail Reform.

Kalief Browder spent three years on Rikers Island because his family could not raise $3,000, only to have charges dropped in 2013 for lack of evidence. He later took his own life. He was in solitary confinement for two of these years.

Before you stupid motherfu*kers start talking sh*t. They was putting people in jail who couldn't make bail whether guilty or innocent. They were stuck there until it went to trial. So if you had to go to work too bad, if you had a family to take care of oh well. On top of all that you are in jail with actual criminals who may physically or s*xually a*sault you.
Exactly they’re grabbing these one-off examples as if it’s an indictment of the entire system when the reality is it’s doing much more good than harm.
+2   

1 month ago '04        #20
young_fletch 
space
space
space
Props total: 1457 1 K  Slaps total: 356 356
 Proveone said

The spike most likely due to record temps in January with most of month being in the 50s.

1 month ago '15        #21
RuggedDrifter 
space
space
Props total: 642 642  Slaps total: 90 90
100 plus arrest and now its the dems fault?

1 month ago '04        #22
bigtrevdogg 
space
space
Props total: 1362 1 K  Slaps total: 184 184
 young_fletch said
Well, I'm in the city twice a week and I can tell you that crime is up in NYC. Conspiracy charges are mostly federal. You haven't said anything about state charges and habitual offenders going in and out of jail like a turnstile. You got ppl hopping on trains and buses not paying fares. And little n*ggas going are sucker punching and slashing ppl. It has nothing to do with the temperature. That's ridiculous.
+4   

1 month ago '05        #23
space
space
The f*gs that slapped my post can eat a fat d*ck and I hope someone catches your dumbasses out there
+1   

1 month ago '13        #24
chi town jays 
space
space
Props total: 1845 1 K  Slaps total: 215 215
Damn meant to slap

@ @ damn ny starting to sound a lot more like Chicago lol

But that’s unfortunate to hear I’m gonna be in nyc this summer I wish a mfer would put they hands me or try something crazy with me!!

Last edited by chi town jays; 02-17-2020 at 08:57 PM..

1 month ago '05        #25
bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
space
space
space
 Proveone said

New York City starts year with spike in shootings, major crimes; NYPD, critics blame bail reform

Better sources but these news sites are probably not good enough either.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  66
Video inside Kooda B Goes On Ig Live After Being Released From Prison
32 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  25
Apr 1 - The US is losing its world superpower status - failure -Covid-19
45 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+38online now  14
Kendrick Perkins Has Credit Card Declined After Kids Spend 16k On Fortnite
114 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  14
Video inside 50 Cent Exposes That Jim Jones Is A Confidential Informant After 6ix9in..
155 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy