A guy carted 99 phones around to create traffic jams on Google Maps

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

3 weeks ago '04        #1
5122 page views
61 comments

JJH35  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 2618 2 K  Slaps total: 280 280
A guy carted 99 phones around to create traffic jams on Google Maps

Update, February 3, 2020 (12:15 PM ET): The Google Maps story below is polarizing our readers. Some think it is funny while others think it’s problematic or even dangerous. However, we’re most curious to know what Google itself thinks, and now we have an answer (via 9to5Google).

Google had this to say in response to the “hack” of using 99 smartphones to cause Maps to register false traffic jams:

Whether via car or cart or camel, we love seeing creative uses of Google Maps as it helps us make maps work better over time.
Although 9to5Google doesn’t share the full statement from Google, it does explain that the company also reaffirmed its commitment to making Maps as accurate as possible. Google also pointed out in a tongue-in-cheek fashion that it can distinguish between cars and motorcycles in some regions around the world — but it hasn’t deduced a formula for wagons yet.

Original article, February 3, 2020 (03:16 AM ET): Technology is not always foolproof and that’s exactly what a new Google Maps experiment tried to prove. Artist Simon Weckert has posted a video on YouTube showing how he managed to “hack” Google Maps to create virtual traffic jams on the streets of Berlin.

For his experiment, Weckert loaded 99 smartphones running Google Maps into a cart. He then had someone wheel that cart around various streets in Berlin, including outside the Google office.

The phones apparently fooled Google Maps into thinking that there was a high concentration of users on those streets. Because the phones were in a cart, Maps was further tricked into believing that the traffic was slow-moving.

As a result, the navigation app started showing virtual traffic jams by turning green streets to red. You can watch the video below to see the trick in action.

Why did this happen?

Google Maps uses data generated by users to identify fast or slow moving traffic as well as traffic jams. By analyzing things like speed, location, and other crowdsourced data, Google generates a live traffic map of an area or a road.

Weckert apparently took advantage of these very Google Maps features to fool the app into marking streets as red. As a result, nearby users could have been diverted to other routes even though the streets in question were actually empty.

Of course, the whole thing could also be a ruse since the artist doesn’t really go into a lot of details in his post describing the so-called hack.

edit added tweet:
visit this link https://twitter.com/torreyh/status/1224032739713634305?s=20

Google has not officially commented on Weckert’s experiment. However, a Senior Software Engineer for Google Maps has tweeted that he believes it’s possible to pull off such a stunt.

If true, this is definitely something the tech giant should look into fixing. Someone with malicious motives could take advantage of the loophole to actually mess with the service and its users.

For instance, a fake traffic jam could be created because of which emergency services like ambulances are diverted to longer routes. Google should conduct a full investigation into the matter so something like that doesn’t happen.

src: visit this link https://www.androidauthor .. -hack-1079604/

Last edited by JJH35; 02-03-2020 at 06:31 PM..
+8   

best
worst
61 comments

3 weeks ago '14        #2
rigates 
space
space
space
Props total: 2683 2 K  Slaps total: 137 137
Had no clue thats how they determined traffic...maps gotta have a feature like waze to confirm the traffic if people start doin this for fun
+30   

3 weeks ago '06        #3
LYTE 
space
space
space
Props total: 13765 13 K  Slaps total: 1303 1 K
waze really that lit??
+28   

3 weeks ago '07        #4
Cambury 
space
space
space
Props total: 19971 19 K  Slaps total: 8775 8 K
I fu*k with maps, u won't see this happen to often tho.
+10   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #5
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 86903 86 K  Slaps total: 37203 37 K
 rigates said
Had no clue thats how they determined traffic...maps gotta have a feature like waze to confirm the traffic if people start doin this for fun
Google does do that. I use maps all the time. If someone reports an accident, traffic jam, speed trap etc they'll ask you if it's still there as you pass it on your route.
+13   

3 weeks ago '19        #6
BOLO1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 3953 3 K  Slaps total: 603 603
Technology can be a gift or a curse.
+16   

3 weeks ago '15        #7
Teddy KGB 
space
space
Props total: 62032 62 K  Slaps total: 7982 7 K
This is why we can't have nice things.
+29   

3 weeks ago '15        #8
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 8522 8 K  Slaps total: 1340 1 K
Lol reminds me of buddy who used two dozen phones on tinder lmao. I open this box and this dude had mad lg phones just with tinder on em and tinder notifications ��
+7   

3 weeks ago '15        #9
jharlem0500  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 15359 15 K  Slaps total: 4329 4 K
 CALL AGAIN said
Lol reminds me of buddy who used two dozen phones on tinder lmao. I open this box and this dude had mad lg phones just with tinder on em and tinder notifications ��
What was the purpose?

He a serial k*ller?

Are you the friend?
+24   

3 weeks ago '15        #10
jharlem0500  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 15359 15 K  Slaps total: 4329 4 K
Further confirms we’re being spyed on via our phones
+6   

3 weeks ago '15        #11
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 8522 8 K  Slaps total: 1340 1 K
 jharlem0500 said
What was the purpose?

He a serial k*ller?

Are you the friend?
Lmao nah just some weirdo english teacher i used to hang with here in Japan. I stopped fu*king with him partly for that reason tho. He was basically whatís explained as a Ďs*xPatí all he fid was try to fu*k bi*ches out here it got annoying af. He was closer to my other boy and everytime i invited him he invited him and everytime he brought some other sad sorry girl usually some little lamb looking bi*ch and then i found out he was living with some chick that had kids and that sh*t just disgusted me so I actually went off on him is kinda how the story ends for that reason and he was just an overall bi*ch boy and he called the cops on me.
+18   

3 weeks ago '15        #12
naledgestate 
space
space
Props total: 10333 10 K  Slaps total: 637 637

Real life troll.
+3   

3 weeks ago '11        #13
socal511  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 2875 2 K  Slaps total: 174 174
its a smart experiment to show that the current system could be manipulated. people are way too upset about this instead of realizing its importance . that is ofcourse, if this all did affect the maps

+15   

3 weeks ago '05        #14
slim_d20 
space
space
Props total: 10510 10 K  Slaps total: 3500 3 K
 socal511 said
its a smart experiment to show that the current system could be manipulated. people are way too upset about this instead of realizing its importance . that is ofcourse, if this all did affect the maps

yeah but he still needs to be punched in the fu*king face.

Imagine how many people he made take the long way home or completely fu*k up traffic. If I was a city official in that city, I would bring him up on charges. Nothing major, just some misdemeanor, but definitely would have his a*s paying a fine. You can't be fu*king with the public on some experiment sh*t without telling anyone.

3 weeks ago '05        #15
Kahlil Illah 
space
space
Props total: 71 71  Slaps total: 5 5
Where does someone get 99 smartphones though???

Last edited by Kahlil Illah; 02-04-2020 at 05:01 AM..
+14   

3 weeks ago '17        #16
Mr Scaramucci  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x41
space
space
Props total: 79162 79 K  Slaps total: 17739 17 K
 slim_d20 said
yeah but he still needs to be punched in the fu*king face.

Imagine how many people he made take the long way home or completely fu*k up traffic. If I was a city official in that city, I would bring him up on charges. Nothing major, just some misdemeanor, but definitely would have his a*s paying a fine. You can't be fu*king with the public on some experiment sh*t without telling anyone.
Man sh*t your fu*kin a*s up
all reliant on smart phones and apps and sh*t in order to function in the world
Ooooo, someone using google maps for traffic purposes ended up taking a longer route
Oooooo
Shut yo a*s up
+12   

3 weeks ago '06        #17
sj808 
space
space
space
Props total: 1421 1 K  Slaps total: 250 250
What's the point he is trying to make?

Sounds like some egotistical bullsh*t to go viral.

3 weeks ago '12        #18
Jo Blow 
space
space
Props total: 4841 4 K  Slaps total: 837 837
 rigates said
I donít think we should worry about people doing this other than this guy... I mean come on, 99 phones? 99? Phones?
+4   

3 weeks ago '04        #19
Fresh Beats 
space
space
Props total: 10146 10 K  Slaps total: 435 435
 rigates said
Google owns Waze so they could so that with ease. I think they want to keep the apps separate tho.
+6   

3 weeks ago '04        #20
RatedQue 
space
space
Props total: 2655 2 K  Slaps total: 254 254
 rigates said
Google owns waze they both have confirm features.
+2   

3 weeks ago '16        #21
Supreme God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 35282 35 K  Slaps total: 3300 3 K
a**hole
+1   

3 weeks ago '18        #22
niruggg 
space
space
Props total: 34575 34 K  Slaps total: 3734 3 K
 sj808 said
What's the point he is trying to make?

Sounds like some egotistical bullsh*t to go viral.
the intelligence levels of this thread is fu*king nil
+6   

3 weeks ago '18        #23
Mr Tibbs 
space
space
Props total: 3176 3 K  Slaps total: 429 429
 rigates said
Google owns Waze.
+2   

3 weeks ago '19        #24
Dolph 
space
space
space
Props total: 414 414  Slaps total: 61 61
I got 99 phones but traffic ain’t one
+11   

3 weeks ago '18        #25
guizai 
space
space
space
Props total: 507 507  Slaps total: 48 48
 Mr Scaramucci said
Man sh*t your fu*kin a*s up
all reliant on smart phones and apps and sh*t in order to function in the world
Ooooo, someone using google maps for traffic purposes ended up taking a longer route
Oooooo
Shut yo a*s up
You right. Everybody better chill. He just proved that there are weaknesses within the system. Now google will try to make their sh*t better.
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  22
Feb 23 - Couple Ran Twin Boys Off Road for Having Trump Flags on Bikes
88 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17