Netflix Explores How 50 Cent Revolutionized Mixtapes (ft Fat Joe, Sha Money XL & Whoo Kid)

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+98  215
91 comments @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

1 month ago '10        #1
3212 page views
91 comments

HolyFatherSteve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x58
space
space
Props total: 36527 36 K  Slaps total: 24112 24 K
Netflix Explores How 50 Cent Revolutionized Mixtapes (ft Fat Joe, Sha Money XL & Whoo Kid)

+36   

best
worst
91 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
MPC_Pase 
space
space
space
Props total: 2318 2 K  Slaps total: 212 212
We gonna forget the impact that MM2 & Dipset had on the mixtape game?

Last edited by MPC_Pase; 01-24-2020 at 12:20 PM..

1 month ago '19        #3
48laws  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 4882 4 K  Slaps total: 469 469
Watched this episode the other day and it was dope

Talked about

50 cent
TI
Lil Wayne
+13   

1 month ago '09        #4
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
space
space
Props total: 155652 155 K  Slaps total: 19353 19 K

21 minutes of 50 cent d*cklicking

didnt watch and wont prop or slap

1 month ago '10        #5
HolyFatherSteve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x58 OP
space
space
 MPC_Pase said
We gonna for get the impact that MM2 & Dipset had on the mixtape game?
Dipset gets briefly mentioned.
+5   

1 month ago '15        #6
gemini8686  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 14034 14 K  Slaps total: 4859 4 K
 MPC_Pase said
If you don’t see what 50 did for the mixtape game then you weren’t around for the impact. And u shouldn’t speak on it. Those mixtapes were epic.

*edit*****

I’m sorry I have to add this. You really mentioned Joe Budden. It seems like a lot of y’all are young and is trying to rewrite history. He had an ok following but G-unit, Dipset, and Lil Wayne were A list and Budden was B list. Levels to it

Last edited by gemini8686; 01-24-2020 at 11:44 AM..
+37   

1 month ago '15        #7
GrgeClrk  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
space
space
Props total: 35631 35 K  Slaps total: 8715 8 K
In

Last edited by GrgeClrk; 01-24-2020 at 11:53 AM..
+2   

1 month ago '18        #8
stutteringrap  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 16629 16 K  Slaps total: 15233 15 K
 MPC_Pase said
i was just about to say like dipset wasn't doing this sh*t in 2001,2002. and who is mm2?

and we going act like juicy j and dj paul ain't create mixtape albums back in 1991 to 1996. like 40 mixtapes albums.
+6   

1 month ago '18        #9
space
space
space
and we going act like dj clue and fdj kay slay did not bring the mixtape game to the mainstream in 1998 and 2001.
+2   

1 month ago '18        #10
space
space
space

+7   

1 month ago '18        #11
space
space
space
dj kay slay should make a netflix about him. he damn near discover have of the n*ggas we call legends from the late 90's and 2000's. or push them in tihe streets so that teh mainstream could sign n*ggas.
+8   

1 month ago '18        #12
space
space
space
wasn't dj kay slay on 50 cent first mixtape too.

1 month ago '17        #13
Pythagoras 
space
space
space
Props total: 11591 11 K  Slaps total: 2925 2 K
That whole Hip-Hop evolution series is smooth. But ofc OP chose to highlight this episode.

+10   

1 month ago '19        #14
48laws  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 4882 4 K  Slaps total: 469 469
Yea a lot of these hiphop DJs don’t get enough respect for how much they did for the culture
+8   

1 month ago '04        #15
LordBlanco|M 
space
space
Props total: 35459 35 K  Slaps total: 3360 3 K
G-Unit blew up from them mixtapes but they weren't the only ones doing it.

DJ Big Mike way before Wayne sued him
DukaDaGod with the Dipset mixtapes (I made a few covers)
Dj Green Lantern Shadyville tapes

But this is when the mixtape game was at its peak

Before them it was guys like Dj Clue, Funkmaster flex, Dj Dirty Harry, Dj Neil Armstrong who went out their way to create albums/mixtapes.

Kay Slay and Papoose dropping203820283030283202 mixtapes and Kay Slay yelling on every track. Idk how many tracks dude ruined with his yelling. I hated that muthafu*ka for that sh*t.
+12   

1 month ago '04        #16
skillahmang 
space
space
Props total: 29265 29 K  Slaps total: 6754 6 K
50 turned mixtapes into the new crack game. Period.

Nobody was that hype off those squad ups.

Dipset and D Block followed suit.

MM2? Gtfoh. Casual sh*t.

Miss that era.
+15   

1 month ago '07        #17
MPC_Pase 
space
space
space
 gemini8686 said
If you donít see what 50 did for the mixtape game then you werenít around for the impact. And u shouldnít speak on it. Those mixtapes were epic.

*edit*****

Iím sorry I have to add this. You really mentioned Joe Budden. It seems like a lot of yíall are young and is trying to rewrite history. He had an ok following but G-unit, Dipset, and Lil Wayne were A list and Budden was B list. Levels to it
First all I was there...
I am from NJ and was in and out of NYC since I was a young teen.
I mean I was really really there as in I was a full grown adult then and been on the mixtape circuit back when clue was the "TDK King".

Firstly I didn't say that 50/ G-unit didn't have a big impact on the game...

Secondly I didn't just throw Joe Budden into the General mix, I mentioned a specific mixtape

Thirdly Wayne ascendance came a little later and took it to the next level.

I mentioned MM@ specifically because it was a mixtape that actually changed the game (not particularly talking about Joe but the IMPACT that MM2 had on the mixtape game)

How artists and LABELS approached mixtapes changed around that era. Def Jam was on the verge of dropping Joe at the time. When MM2 dropped there really wasn't any comparable type of mixtape, an "Album" type, exclusice artist project that wasn't just a bunch of random freesystyles and album throw aways or leaks. The NY times actually did a feature on it which was HUGE for a street mixtape. You may not know or care about the NY times but if you actually know anything a urban artist getting a write up in one of the biggest papers in the country at that time moved the needle.

Not stanning for Joe.. Yes there career took a completely different trajectory but if you were really outside at that time like your claiming then you should know.
Its an observation about a particular project and the impact it had by a person that was there and has been copping mixtapes a lot longer than you I'm pretty sure.

Dipset was k*lling the streets in NYC as much as 50 was at the same time... made even more impressive because it wasn't just one person. The whole set was flooding the streets and people were copping left and right.

A friend of mine owned a record store at the time and was basically staying in business because of mixtapes and was selling just as much Dipset as 50.

Wayne came along later and actually partnered with Juelz early on when the set was at its peak. He started with Squad up and all but his affiliation with the set is actually how a lot of NY heads actually got on to wayne.
Wayne just steam rolled it after that and in '07 through 10 probably had the best run of any rapper ever.

Again youre confusing the ultimate trajectory of the career's with the impact on the era.

Of course 50 had a HUGE impact on the mixtape game. Its just that if you were really into mixtape in the NYC area at that time then you know he definitly wasn't the only one. He just leveraged and became the biggest on.

1 month ago '07        #18
MPC_Pase 
space
space
space
 stutteringrap said
i was just about to say like dipset wasn't doing this sh*t in 2001,2002. and who is mm2?

and we going act like juicy j and dj paul ain't create mixtape albums back in 1991 to 1996. like 40 mixtapes albums.
Can't speak on Juicy and Paul... for a long time 3-6 was a regional thing. What I can say is that NY and LA were driving the market at that time and in the NY market
there were people that set the table for 50. He just became bigger than them all other than Wayne and I could make a valid argument that Wayne wouldn't have had the mixtape run that he had without Dipset.

Other regions had their mixtapes but NYC was the only place that had street mixtapes going national at that time. Wayne and Juelz collabing helped get Wayne to people in NY that didn't get there music from 106 and park and no disrespect intended but at that time NY was the mixtape capital of the world.
+2   

1 month ago '09        #19
akverse47  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 12702 12 K  Slaps total: 474 474
50 definitely changed the game
+6   

1 month ago '07        #20
MPC_Pase 
space
space
space
I mean if you want to give 50 credit for something that I think is interesting that I don't remember another artist doing it would be taking a someone's song and making it into a street record thats so big that when people hear the original they thing they stole it from 50.

50 did it to Ryan Leslie. 50 dropped "Bottom Girl" and it was getting so much burn that it actually k*lled "Diamond Girl". They were playing it on the radio and people didn't even know that it wasn't 50's song.
+11   

1 month ago '04        #21
LordBlanco|M 
space
space
Props total: 35459 35 K  Slaps total: 3360 3 K
 MPC_Pase said
I mean if you want to give 50 credit for something that I think is interesting that I don't remember another artist doing it would be taking a someone's song and making it into a street record thats so big that when people hear the original they thing they stole it from 50.

50 did it to Ryan Leslie. 50 dropped "Bottom Girl" and it was getting so much burn that it actually k*lled "Diamond Girl". They were playing it on the radio and people didn't even know that it wasn't 50's song.
Lol I used to love those tracks they made using other peoples beats and hooks....

+5   

1 month ago '10        #22
HolyFatherSteve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x58 OP
space
space

+2   

1 month ago '07        #23
MPC_Pase 
space
space
space
 stutteringrap said
dj kay slay should make a netflix about him. he damn near discover have of the n*ggas we call legends from the late 90's and 2000's. or push them in tihe streets so that teh mainstream could sign n*ggas.
Ehhh that became the narrative later... but early on Slay was Jacking a lot of sh*t.

If you ever heard his early tapes some of his drops were super loud because he was screaming of other DJ's drops.

Later on he got bigger and earned his OG status but if you want to talk about some people that were HUGE then something about stretch and bobbito and espectially DJ Clue.

in the early 90's Clue was putting sh*t on the streets before anybody and was the dude artists (future Legends) were seeking out.
+2   

1 month ago '13        #24
gow 
space
space
Props total: 1533 1 K  Slaps total: 1078 1 K
m drop

1 month ago '15        #25
gemini8686  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 14034 14 K  Slaps total: 4859 4 K
 MPC_Pase said
First all I was there...
I am from NJ and was in and out of NYC since I was a young teen.
I mean I was really really there as in I was a full grown adult then and been on the mixtape circuit back when clue was the "TDK King".

Firstly I didn't say that 50/ G-unit didn't have a big impact on the game...

Secondly I didn't just throw Joe Budden into the General mix, I mentioned a specific mixtape

Thirdly Wayne ascendance came a little later and took it to the next level.

I mentioned MM@ specifically because it was a mixtape that actually changed the game (not particularly talking about Joe but the IMPACT that MM2 had on the mixtape game)

How artists and LABELS approached mixtapes changed around that era. Def Jam was on the verge of dropping Joe at the time. When MM2 dropped there really wasn't any comparable type of mixtape, an "Album" type, exclusice artist project that wasn't just a bunch of random freesystyles and album throw aways or leaks. The NY times actually did a feature on it which was HUGE for a street mixtape. You may not know or care about the NY times but if you actually know anything a urban artist getting a write up in one of the biggest papers in the country at that time moved the needle.

Not stanning for Joe.. Yes there career took a completely different trajectory but if you were really outside at that time like your claiming then you should know.
Its an observation about a particular project and the impact it had by a person that was there and has been copping mixtapes a lot longer than you I'm pretty sure.

Dipset was k*lling the streets in NYC as much as 50 was at the same time... made even more impressive because it wasn't just one person. The whole set was flooding the streets and people were copping left and right.

A friend of mine owned a record store at the time and was basically staying in business because of mixtapes and was selling just as much Dipset as 50.

Wayne came along later and actually partnered with Juelz early on when the set was at its peak. He started with Squad up and all but his affiliation with the set is actually how a lot of NY heads actually got on to wayne.
Wayne just steam rolled it after that and in '07 through 10 probably had the best run of any rapper ever.

Again youre confusing the ultimate trajectory of the career's with the impact on the era.

Of course 50 had a HUGE impact on the mixtape game. Its just that if you were really into mixtape in the NYC area at that time then you know he definitly wasn't the only one. He just leveraged and became the biggest on.
Iím at work so I wonít be able to reply to all the points u made. Iím from Harlem and if anyone knows about the dipset movement itís me.

G unit mixtapes were an event when they dropped. Especially the Smoking Day 2 mixtape with Realest k*llas. The G unit radios, best of Banks. All epic moments.

Joe Budden sh*t, nobody really cared. As ignorant as it sounds, the general public referred to him as the pump it up guy. While a few liked his mixtape sh*t.

People were checking for Cassidy sh*t more than they were checking for joe
+9   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+35online now  52
Kobe Bryant: A Celebration of Life (Live Stream by Tidal) 2-24-20
887 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now