Ebro: "Says Eminem Treats Rap How Black People Have To Treat Life, Be 5x Better..."

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+73  79
57 comments @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section hiphop

Do You agree With Ebro's Take On Eminem?
Yeah, I Agree... 154 48.73%
Nah, I Don't Agree... 123 38.92%
I'm Neutral With This One... 39 12.34%
Voters: 316.   (BX member poll)

4 weeks ago '07        #1
9154 page views
331 comments

Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
space
space
Props total: 125713 125 K  Slaps total: 12989 12 K
Ebro: "Says Eminem Treats Rap How Black People Have To Treat Life, Be 5x Better..."

I never thought I would see that day that I agree with Ebro of all people I dislike...

Hot 97's Ebro Darden has some thoughts on the public's perception of Eminem.

On Thursday morning (Jan. 23), Ebro was engaging with fans on Twitter when he rocked the boat with what some would call a hot take on Eminem.

The radio personality drew a comparison to the way Em treats rap to the way he feels Black people have to treat life, and not everyone is agreeing.

"Eminem treats Rap how Black folks have had to treat life..." Ebro said. "Be 5x better, work 5x harder than everyone and still not necessarily get respect."

Immediately, his mentions lit up with folks debating his statement. One fan pointed out that Em is one of the most successful artists of all time, to which Ebro replied with, "Sales doesn’t mean respect."

He reiterated his comment with a follow-up tweet, saying, "People confuse success and respect."
Ebro's statements come on the heels of the release of Eminem's new surprise album, Music to Be murdered By. The feedback on the new project has been mixed–especially because of the intense lyrics and controversial statements–likely prompting Ebro's Thursday morning conversation.

Because of some of the negative responses, Eminem himself released a statement about the album's content.

"Gentle listener, In today’s wonderful world murder has become so commonplace that we are a society obsessed and fascinated by it," Eminem wrote.

"I thought why not make a sport if it, and murder over beats? So before you jump the gun, please allow me to explain. This album was not made for the squeamish."
He went on to explain that the album is not for the easily offended, and his aim was to "shock the conscience, which may cause positive action."

Do you agree with Ebro's take on Eminem?

visit this link https://www.xxlmag.com/ne .. edium=referral
+20   

best
worst
331 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '19        #2
HeyChico  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x71
space
space
Props total: 21759 21 K  Slaps total: 13717 13 K
+24   

4 weeks ago '06        #3
Junglist 
space
space
Props total: 15182 15 K  Slaps total: 1565 1 K
As much as I hate Ebro he’s not lying
+42   

4 weeks ago '10        #4
datguyjr 
space
space
Props total: 3925 3 K  Slaps total: 709 709
Same dudes who hate Em praise people like Future lol
+107   

4 weeks ago '19        #5
HotBoyKee 
space
space
space
Props total: 1634 1 K  Slaps total: 126 126
hate ebro but he not lying
+15   

4 weeks ago '07        #6
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31 OP
space
space
Props total: 125713 125 K  Slaps total: 12989 12 K
 Junglist said
As much as I hate Ebro hes not lying
 HotBoyKee said
hate ebro but he not lying
RS shyt, same thing I said...

+13   

4 weeks ago '19        #7
Pure Energy 
space
space
Props total: 2513 2 K  Slaps total: 397 397
Agree'd
+4   

4 weeks ago '14        #8
CBX 
space
space
Props total: 1210 1 K  Slaps total: 197 197
I dont fuk w/ EM musically but i cant hate that n*gga work ethic

U gotta repect him ...
+49   

4 weeks ago '15        #9
KING SOULJA 
space
space
Props total: 23290 23 K  Slaps total: 11493 11 K
 Eminem said
This album was not made for the squeamish.
Relapse wasn’t for the squeamish.

I think Music To Be murdered By is his best album since Relapse but that don’t change that the album isn’t really that controversial outside of darkness and the line on unaccommodating. This might even be Eminem’s tamest album ever. I am not a prude but even Revival had more shocking lyrics.
+4   

4 weeks ago '05        #10
ICG 
space
space
Props total: 670 670  Slaps total: 267 267
Eminem does not make relevant music by any means to the hip hop audience. He only makes relevant music to his loyal fanbase. His rhythm is completely different than the current music listener. I LOVE mmlp and Eminem show but his new album I can’t get jiggy with. His subject matter has not matured. Dude has a whole daughter in college why can’t we get a 4:44 from Eminem?
+9   

4 weeks ago '20        #11
BlackAmerica 
space
space
space
Props total: 2097 2 K  Slaps total: 543 543
Ebro been fu*king a fu*king lame
+4   

4 weeks ago '18        #12
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 53612 53 K  Slaps total: 6942 6 K
 datguyjr said
Same dudes who hate Em praise people like Future lol
Eminem has been putting out pure trash since he got sober and Future is a one trick pony

4 weeks ago '17        #13
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
space
space
Props total: 45593 45 K  Slaps total: 21299 21 K
We dont take ebros opinion seriously on anything
+7   

4 weeks ago '04        #14
mprnc2000 
space
space
Props total: 4275 4 K  Slaps total: 1646 1 K
I don't care how hard Em tries. His music is garbage and doesn't resonate with Black people. Regardless, of his lyrical skill.
+15   

4 weeks ago '19        #15
HotBoyKee 
space
space
space
Props total: 1634 1 K  Slaps total: 126 126
 Avon_Barksdale said
RS shyt, same thing I said...

+1   

4 weeks ago '04        #16
psylence2k 
space
space
space
Props total: 5415 5 K  Slaps total: 1166 1 K
 ICG said
Eminem does not make relevant music by any means to the hip hop audience. He only makes relevant music to his loyal fanbase. His rhythm is completely different than the current music listener. I LOVE mmlp and Eminem show but his new album I can’t get jiggy with. His subject matter has not matured. Dude has a whole daughter in college why can’t we get a 4:44 from Eminem?
I don't get when people say this.

Revival was basically his 4:44 and people hated it. They didn't want mature, conscious, calmly introspective, or woke Eminem.

Like people praise Jay because 4:44 was introspective and vulnerable about his personal life but to be honest Em's been making those songs here and there since SSLP. He's been talked honestly and introspectively about his personal life his whole career.

Then since Beautiful from Relapse and a bunch of songs off Recovery and MMLP 2 and all over Revival he made Mature, introspective, and vulnerable songs.

People either hated or ignored that. Then turned around like " When we getting mature content Em" ?

People got it, ignored it, hated it, and asked for old Em. Then they get old Em and for like 2 weeks they're like:

" THIS IS FIRE, THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, EM IS BACK !!!

Then two weeks later they're like " Nah it was wack, when we getting mature Em ? " and then the cycle continues.

He really can't win.

Last edited by psylence2k; 01-23-2020 at 03:17 PM..
+33   

4 weeks ago '04        #17
slapaho 
space
space
Props total: 5276 5 K  Slaps total: 239 239
We should spend that energy putting Twista in his rightfull spot as a elite mc from the Midwest who has gone unsung for 20 years.
+29   

4 weeks ago '17        #18
Pretty Tone 
space
space
Props total: 30363 30 K  Slaps total: 2672 2 K
And its still trash
+1   

4 weeks ago '07        #19
Pos 
space
space
Props total: 8953 8 K  Slaps total: 2079 2 K
Em still gets ton of respect, way too much for the past decade

then u got black artists like Joe Budden, Royce, Crook, Joyner Lucas who spit just as hard or better and they are criminally overlooked

they put their whole life into this sh*t

Last edited by Pos; 01-23-2020 at 03:46 PM..
+6   

4 weeks ago '15        #20
JRob1125 
space
space
Props total: 14244 14 K  Slaps total: 1610 1 K
He gets a lot more hate than rappers who have less than half of his talent
+7   

4 weeks ago '19        #21
Bklynzfinest 
space
space
space
Props total: 4133 4 K  Slaps total: 489 489
Em gets overhated by a lot of the people who dislike his music and overrated by a lot of the people who love his sh*t.

However, this is a silly analogy for Ebro to make and can't believe the poll is more Yes than No.

Eminem does not have to work 5 times harder than black rappers to get respect. That's utter nonsense...first off, even most of his detractors "respect" him...respecting him and liking his music are two completely different things. And only the biggest of haters say dumb sh*t like he's wack...if that's your stance, the conversation ain't even worth starting.

Black people have to work harder in America because we were enslaved, dehumanized, and been f*ghting an uphill battle against institutional racism in schools, judicial, work place, basically everywhere....where your skin color gets you automatic negative judgment on sight, by many...and we're in a system where we've historically had no power...and still don't.

Eminem is a minority in a majority black music culture--that's where the analogy begins and end...almost nothing else holds. White people has historically (and still does) control most of the industry. Eminem didn't f*ght any upwards battle...in fact, he was accepted by blacks right from the jump because he had lyrics...it was like 'ohhh u heard that white boy k*lling it with the rhymes?' because prior to that white rappers were very subpar. Eminem basically just had to eclipse that low a*s bar vanilla ice and them set...that's not having to work 5 times as hard...it's not even having to work twice as hard. I ain't gonna go into the sales, because yes, success does not = respect, but rappers and black people respect Em as an emcee. Saying u don't fu*k with him like that nor bump his music that much is all about the content not resonating. The fu*k is Ebro talking about? Analogy is just absurd and disrespectful to the plight blacks face in America.

Last edited by Bklynzfinest; 01-23-2020 at 04:10 PM..
+11   

4 weeks ago '17        #22
Tom Herman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 52620 52 K  Slaps total: 35450 35 K
 Pos said
Em still gets ton of respect, way too much for the past decade

then u got black artists like Joe Budden, Royce, Crook, Joyner Lucas who spit just as hard or better and they are criminally overlooked

they put their whole life into this sh*t
In what world does joyner lucas spit as hard as eminem
+3   

4 weeks ago '17        #23
Ugur25 
space
space
space
Props total: 4456 4 K  Slaps total: 1058 1 K
 ICG said
Eminem does not make relevant music by any means to the hip hop audience. He only makes relevant music to his loyal fanbase. His rhythm is completely different than the current music listener. I LOVE mmlp and Eminem show but his new album I cant get jiggy with. His subject matter has not matured. Dude has a whole daughter in college why cant we get a 4:44 from Eminem?
You are crazy! Eminems album doing numbers (like always!!!), the "current music listener" listens to his sh*t.

4 weeks ago '18        #24
Infamous1 
space
space
Props total: 5467 5 K  Slaps total: 1614 1 K
who gives a fu*k what EBRO says. Eminem became your typical mainstream rapper after the Eminem Show that catered to much to a mainstream audience
+1   

4 weeks ago '05        #25
Micheal C. Will 
space
space
Props total: 45747 45 K  Slaps total: 6971 6 K
Just by judging by some of the comments I see when a Eminem thread gets made, the majority of the hate has nothing to do with his music.

Even though people claim that's the case

I don't like that guy 6ix9ine music, but also don't be in any of his threads bashing him either because he is irrelevant to me.
+9   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+17online now  41
Image(s) inside Damon Dash Sues Rachel Roy for Fraud
58 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  33
Feb 16 - Man who works on 5g towers exposes the Dangers to Come
100 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-37online now  17
Image(s) inside Kanye cant even get his shoes to line up straight
48 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+20online now  14
Image(s) inside Sooooo.... No one gonna mention that Alexis Texas got a hip hop podcast?
171 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy