Jan 22 - US Drinking Water Widely Contaminated w/ 'Chemicals That Last Damn Near Forever'

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+34  90
35 comments @wild'ish
most viewed right now
43 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 weeks ago '14        #1
2528 page views
68 comments

Aries  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 39270 39 K  Slaps total: 5465 5 K
Jan 22 - US Drinking Water Widely Contaminated w/ 'Chemicals That Last Damn Near Forever'

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The contamination of U.S. drinking water with man-made “forever chemicals” is far worse than previously estimated with some of the highest levels found in Miami, Philadelphia and New Orleans, said a report on Wednesday by an environmental watchdog group.

The chemicals, resistant to breaking down in the environment, are known as perfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS. Some have been linked to cancers, liver damage, low birth weight and other health problems.

The findings here by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) show the group's previous estimate in 2018, based on unpublished U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) data, that 110 million Americans may be contaminated with PFAS, could be far too low.

“It’s nearly impossible to avoid contaminated drinking water from these chemicals,” said David Andrews, a senior scientist at EWG and co-author of the report.

The chemicals were used in products like Teflon and Scotchguard and in firef*ghting foam. Some are used in a variety of other products and industrial processes, and their replacements also pose risks.

Of tap water samples taken by EWG from 44 sites in 31 states and Washington D.C., only one location, Meridian, Mississippi, which relies on 700 foot (215 m) deep wells, had no detectable PFAS. Only Seattle and Tuscaloosa, Alabama had levels below 1 part per trillion (PPT), the limit EWG recommends.

In addition, EWG found that on average six to seven PFAS compounds were found at the tested sites, and the effects on health of the mixtures are little understood. “Everyone’s really exposed to a toxic soup of these PFAS chemicals,” Andrews said.

In 34 places where EWG’s tests found PFAS, contamination had not been publicly reported by the EPA or state environmental agencies.

The EPA has known since at least 2001 about the problem of PFAS in drinking water but has so far failed to set an enforceable, nationwide legal limit. The EPA said early last year it would begin the process to set limits on two of the chemicals, PFOA and PFOS.

The EPA said it has helped states and communities address PFAS and that it is working to put limits on the two main chemicals but did not give a timeline.

In 2018 a draft report from an office of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said the risk level for exposure to the chemicals should be up to 10 times lower than the 70 PPT threshold the EPA recommends. The White House and the EPA had tried to stop the report from being published.

Last edited by Aries; 01-22-2020 at 03:33 PM..
+11   

best
worst
68 comments

4 weeks ago '16        #2
Aztlan 
space
space
Props total: 50298 50 K  Slaps total: 6657 6 K
And bottled water is less regulated?

sh*t
+20   

4 weeks ago '12        #3
daman729 
space
space
Props total: 19612 19 K  Slaps total: 933 933
The thing about water, regulation is hit and miss. Some companies will sell quality water in clean, chemical free(or at least limited chemicals) bottles and some wont. Some brands will even have alot of micro plastics, even ecoli. There's nothing you can really do about it. Some people get in-home reverse osmosis filters in there homes. Problem with that is, some machines attract mold and funguses. Tap water and well water has so much crap in it, its not always safe to drink.

I've heard stories of tap waters having residues of people's medications, etc in the water. And the people "cleaning" it don't really always do a good job of it because regulation is so lopsided and iffy. Some plants even dump wastes in public water supply and people end up drinking it smh.

This is only my opinion and you must see whats best for your personal body. Best water to drink is either quality, cleaned, bottled spring water from a quality spring thats been strictly tested and the offical quality report shows it. Or bottled reverse osmosis water with minerals added back in it. If you use any in home filter, you need to regularly check for fungus and mold as well as make sure minerals are added back to the water..

Last edited by daman729; 01-22-2020 at 04:10 PM..
+21   

4 weeks ago '13        #4
ChicagoDawg420 
space
space
Props total: 581 581  Slaps total: 37 37
Guess we gon die of somethin', right
Yeezus, we screwed
+7   

4 weeks ago '07        #5
yolaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 22638 22 K  Slaps total: 1851 1 K
people make fun of me for buying Reverse Osmosis and De-Ionized water

i be like "we'll see"
+28   

4 weeks ago '14        #6
Aries  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
space
space
Props total: 39270 39 K  Slaps total: 5465 5 K
 yolaboy said

i be like "we'll see"
you don't have a home filter? i need to get 1

Last edited by Aries; 01-22-2020 at 05:08 PM..
+3   

4 weeks ago '07        #7
yolaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 22638 22 K  Slaps total: 1851 1 K
 Aries said
you don't have a home filter?
not right now, lotta things in flux
+4   

4 weeks ago '18        #8
ordoabchao 
space
space
space
Props total: 11038 11 K  Slaps total: 2709 2 K
 daman729 said
The thing about water, regulation is hit and miss. Some companies will sell quality water in clean, chemical free(or at least limited chemicals) bottles and some wont. Some brands will even have alot of micro plastics, even ecoli. There's nothing you can really do about it. Some people get in-home reverse osmosis filters in there homes. Problem with that is, some machines attract mold and funguses. Tap water and well water has so much crap in it, its not always safe to drink.

I've heard stories of tap waters having residues of people's medications, etc in the water. And the people "cleaning" it don't really always do a good job of it because regulation is so lopsided and iffy. Some plants even dump wastes in public water supply and people end up drinking it smh.

This is only my opinion and you must see whats best for your personal body. Best water to drink is either quality, cleaned, bottled spring water from a quality spring thats been strictly tested and the offical quality report shows it. Or bottled reverse osmosis water with minerals added back in it. If you use any in home filter, you need to regularly check for fungus and mold as well as make sure minerals are added back to the water..
Reverse osmosis or die.
+4   

4 weeks ago '17        #9
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 80990 80 K  Slaps total: 4999 4 K
 Aztlan said
And bottled water is less regulated?

sh*t

+9   

4 weeks ago '13        #10
FNLN5150 
space
space
Props total: 13270 13 K  Slaps total: 1232 1 K
Does ZeroWater help?

My tds reader says 0, that mean it’s good right??
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #11
DDD716 
space
space
Props total: 5158 5 K  Slaps total: 634 634
Man when I was in Philly i had my Pur water system hooked up to the kitchen sink and I'd have to buy a new filter damn near every month.

Normally I'd buy one every 3 months. So I'mma agree with Philly being on the list.
+4   

4 weeks ago '17        #12
LegendaryLegend  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 13571 13 K  Slaps total: 3477 3 K
Not in this reverse osmosis that I'm sippin on doe.
+1   

4 weeks ago '07        #13
rkelley6045 
space
space
Props total: 15 15  Slaps total: 0 0
Watch The Devil We Know on Netflix. It’s pretty much too late for most of us.

“Citizens in West Virginia take on a powerful corporation after they discover it has knowingly been dumping a toxic chemical -- now found in the blood of 99.7 percent of Americans.” Aka that Teflon from 3M and DuPont. America the corporation above all.
+15   

4 weeks ago '05        #14
projectd06 
space
space
Props total: 17873 17 K  Slaps total: 4986 4 K
Sucks for yall, we got that great lakes water in the midwest.
+3   

4 weeks ago '10        #15
AriGold 
space
space
Props total: 5803 5 K  Slaps total: 1319 1 K
I drink Essentia only. I hope it’s clean cause I be downing that sh*t like it’s not funny.

4 weeks ago '14        #16
FukHowYouFeel 
space
space
Props total: 24451 24 K  Slaps total: 5361 5 K
 yolaboy said

i be like "we'll see"
My dude knows what’s up.

I’ve said it on here before...If your water isn’t deionized/RO...You are drinking dissolved solids, period.

I had the whole system put in my crib. Cost a fu*k ton, but it was worth every penny for that piece of mind.
+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #17
daman729 
space
space
Props total: 19612 19 K  Slaps total: 933 933
And keep in mind. For those who measure your water quality, TDS(total dissolved solids) in your water doesn't always correlate with contaminates and heavy metals. TDS also refers to the minerals in the water. Could be calcium,magnesium, sodium, sulfate, etc. Water tds can be high and the water could be good. Yet tds could be low, and the water could still be loaded with lead and a bunch of other crap. So tds measurements are not always a good reflection of water quality. Same with PH. Do not drink high ph waters longterm. Alkaline water isnt for everyone regardless of the fad. It will screw up and lower your stomach acidity in the long run and you may end up with parasite overgrowth. These commercial waters with 9 and 10 artificial phs are not good for consumption, especially longterm. The minerals and purity of the water are more important than the ph. A good ph is between 6.5 and 7.5. No more than 8. If you buy water, go to the website of that company and look for the official water quality report.

Last edited by daman729; 01-22-2020 at 08:00 PM..
+4   

4 weeks ago '16        #18
144000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 15933 15 K  Slaps total: 33703 33 K
I'm about tired of this water situation in America.

Growing up you couldn't beat straight up cold tap water after a long basketball game. Straight from a hose, or even a fountain after like 30 other n*ggas.

Now tap water is basically understood as full of feces. If it's not bottled its undrinkable.

4 weeks ago '16        #19
Ill800 
space
space
space
Props total: 3721 3 K  Slaps total: 2704 2 K
 LegendaryLegend said
Not in this reverse osmosis that I'm sippin on doe.
We woke!
+1   

4 weeks ago '16        #20
144000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 15933 15 K  Slaps total: 33703 33 K
If tap water is full of sh*t, wasn't it always?

Animals have always sh*t in rivers. I'm not convinced this isn't a conspiracy.

All water must have a little bit of sh*t.

Last edited by 144000; 01-22-2020 at 08:05 PM..

4 weeks ago '15        #21
countUp 
space
space
space
Props total: 486 486  Slaps total: 33 33
 rkelley6045 said
Watch The Devil We Know on Netflix. Itís pretty much too late for most of us.

ďCitizens in West Virginia take on a powerful corporation after they discover it has knowingly been dumping a toxic chemical -- now found in the blood of 99.7 percent of Americans.Ē Aka that Teflon from 3M and DuPont. America the corporation above all.
i work for DuPont....in Jersey tho....n*ggas be protesting in front the job
+2   

4 weeks ago '18        #22
dacoolestg 
space
space
Props total: 2757 2 K  Slaps total: 323 323
and here i was thinkin only floride was in the sh*t

spring water> purified> tap
+2   

4 weeks ago '18        #23
dacoolestg 
space
space
Props total: 2757 2 K  Slaps total: 323 323
 Naga Sadow said
beat me to it smh
+1   

4 weeks ago '17        #24
KTrill214 
space
space
space
Props total: 302 302  Slaps total: 67 67
Population control? Anybody surprised that our government gets away with murder literally everyday? This has been going on for a while now. But will the sheep wake up or stay distracted with fake impeachments, false flags, and racial division while the 1 percent reap the benefits? Hmmmm

+7   

4 weeks ago '15        #25
Prad Bitt 
space
space
Props total: 6705 6 K  Slaps total: 733 733
 yolaboy said

i be like "we'll see"
That PH water hit way different.
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  30
Feb 16 - Man who works on 5g towers exposes the Dangers to Come
99 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-38online now  20
Image(s) inside Kanye canít even get his shoes to line up straight
44 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+16online now  15
Video inside Tiffany Haddish Bombs At NBA Roast
200 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+20online now  15
Image(s) inside Sooooo.... No one gonna mention that Alexis Texas got a hip hop podcast?
165 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy