Turbos Don't Save Fuel

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+70  138
50 comments @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section rides

4 weeks ago '17        #1
799 page views
10 comments

Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 81237 81 K  Slaps total: 5009 5 K
Turbos Don't Save Fuel

+3   

best
worst
10 comments

4 weeks ago '18        #2
Blaffy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 68674 68 K  Slaps total: 6369 6 K

+7   

4 weeks ago '14        #3
FukHowYouFeel 
space
space
Props total: 24484 24 K  Slaps total: 5362 5 K
This guy is a fu*king moron...

Nobody that knows cars thinks turbos "save" fuel especially if you're seeking out forced induction for performance applications. Their purpose is to reduce sprung weight and fuel EFFICIENCY as it pertains to POWER OUTPUT.

It's a means of doing more with less.

Quite simply...It's a trade off. Yes bigger displacement means more torque output at lower RPM, but that means they also have less than optimal or usable power-band on the higher end of the RPM range.

Technically speaking...You could literally a*sert that a naturally-aspirated engine has infinite lag because of this.

That's why 3.4L Supra w/ 88mm turbo walk 6.2L vettes all day long and use less fuel doing so. The opposite would be true if they raced from a dead stop/dig.

Muscle guys like this always use EPA standards against turbocharged imports testing at wide-open throttle in performance-driven scenarios.

Meaning...If a guy tells you his Corvette gets better gas milage and it's as fast as a turbocharged vehicle...He's lying about the MPG. They're stating EPA test numbers when the MPG at wide-open throttle is completely different and draining on fuel.

I think a 6.2L vette probably gets like 5.5-6.5mpg at full throttle over a full tank whereas my Supra (3.4L w/ 264 cams and 1000cc injectors) came out to about 8.2-8.5mpg.

That's not peanuts over the course of a 16-18 gallon fuel tank. it's pretty substantial if one car stops and the other keeps going for another 30 miles.

That's why he was shy about saying the word "efficiency." Because he knows his point is dead. Even the car manufacturers know the truth. That's why my F-150 is a turbocharged V6 instead of a V8 like it used to be.

Oh and by the way...The fu*king V6 is literally 3 seconds faster than the V8 package in it's 0-60 time and uses less fuel to do so. That's night and day when your gas tank sized hasn't shrunk. It's also literally 500+ lbs lighter. Guess where that weight came from...

Last edited by FukHowYouFeel; 01-22-2020 at 04:28 PM..
+22   

4 weeks ago '08        #4
flav 
space
space
Props total: 10973 10 K  Slaps total: 3055 3 K
^^
Grand opening

Grand closing
+1   

4 weeks ago '04        #5
xbossxplayax 
space
space
Props total: 6851 6 K  Slaps total: 1646 1 K
hate the regulations be forcing smaller displacements. exhaust note is very important to me while performance is not as much. i hope after 90% of new cars become electric, they just let the poor souls who cling onto the remnants of the bygone era be
+1   

4 weeks ago '06        #6
TheKastOne 
space
space
Props total: 915 915  Slaps total: 111 111
 FukHowYouFeel said

Nobody that knows cars thinks turbos "save" fuel especially if you're seeking out forced induction for performance applications. Their purpose is to reduce sprung weight and fuel EFFICIENCY as it pertains to POWER OUTPUT..[/B]

My '15 STI got about 21 mpg @ 305HP Turbo'd.

My '16 370z pictured got me about 14 mpg originally @ 332HP, had some work done to it, its still a naturally aspirated v6, but its at 397HP now and is still at 14 mpg.

60hp increase and same economy.

Any idea why?

4 weeks ago '14        #7
FukHowYouFeel 
space
space
Props total: 24484 24 K  Slaps total: 5362 5 K
 TheKastOne said
My '15 STI got about 21 mpg @ 305HP Turbo'd.

My '16 370z pictured got me about 14 mpg originally @ 332HP, had some work done to it, its still a naturally aspirated v6, but its at 397HP now and is still at 14 mpg.

60hp increase and same economy.

Any idea why?
Depends what you had done to it. But the more simple answer would be that if you’re talking basic bolt instead and a remap, your displacement and injection remains the same it’s just operating at a higher efficiency and different tune when you mash the gas at full throttle. Nobody drives at full
throttle all the time.

It kind of goes along with what I said...You’re determining the MPG across a full tank. It’s not actually being measured in real time.

The reason it matters is because you don’t drive every tank of gas exactly the same.

Now the reason why you didn’t see a huge spike across an entire tank is what I said above. It’s because the displacement is unchanged, the only way you’d see a change in MPG is in real time when you mash the gas because the mapping is changed to accommodate the additional air flow and timing.

MPG across a full tank as opposed to full throttle will always be vastly different numbers.

Last edited by FukHowYouFeel; 01-22-2020 at 10:49 PM..
+4   

4 weeks ago '10        #8
FrankAndBeans 
space
space
Props total: 10388 10 K  Slaps total: 5635 5 K
 FukHowYouFeel said

Nobody that knows cars thinks turbos "save" fuel especially if you're seeking out forced induction for performance applications. Their purpose is to reduce sprung weight and fuel EFFICIENCY as it pertains to POWER OUTPUT.

Quite simply...It's a trade off. Yes bigger displacement means more torque output at lower RPM, but that means they also have less than optimal or usable power-band on the higher end of the RPM range.

Technically speaking...You could literally a*sert that a naturally-aspirated engine has infinite lag because of this.

That's why 3.4L Supra w/ 88mm turbo walk 6.2L vettes all day long and use less fuel doing so. The opposite would be true if they raced from a dead stop/dig.

Muscle guys like this always use EPA standards against turbocharged imports testing at wide-open throttle in performance-driven scenarios.

Meaning...If a guy tells you his Corvette gets better gas milage and it's as fast as a turbocharged vehicle...He's lying about the MPG. They're stating EPA test numbers when the MPG at wide-open throttle is completely different and draining on fuel.

I think a 6.2L vette probably gets like 5.5-6.5mpg at full throttle over a full tank whereas my Supra (3.4L w/ 264 cams and 1000cc injectors) came out to about 8.2-8.5mpg.

That's not peanuts over the course of a 16-18 gallon fuel tank. it's pretty substantial if one car stops and the other keeps going for another 30 miles.

That's why he was shy about saying the word "efficiency." Because he knows his point is dead. Even the car manufacturers know the truth. That's why my F-150 is a turbocharged V6 instead of a V8 like it used to be.

Oh and by the way...The fu*king V6 is literally 3 seconds faster than the V8 package in it's 0-60 time and uses less fuel to do so. That's night and day when your gas tank sized hasn't shrunk. It's also literally 500+ lbs lighter. Guess where that weight came from...

Turbos are more efficient because turbos are regenerative devices that use waste to create more work. In theory any application with turbos is more efficient than the same application without; the efficiency is by design, not weight loss.

Corvettes get good mileage mostly because of good aero, tall gearing and a 1st to 4th skip shift that encourages you to drive in a tall gear

Last edited by FrankAndBeans; 01-23-2020 at 03:13 AM..
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #9
Dash Marley 
space
space
Props total: 2201 2 K  Slaps total: 84 84
IDK anyone who's gotten a turbo for fuel efficiencies

4 weeks ago '16        #10
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 15663 15 K  Slaps total: 1290 1 K
 FukHowYouFeel said

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the title. Why does this video exist? I didn't know anyone was a*serting the opposite
+1   

4 weeks ago '06        #11
imthatinfamous 
space
space
Props total: 10729 10 K  Slaps total: 4273 4 K
 FukHowYouFeel said

+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+54online now  42
BREAKING: Pop Smoke murdered in home invasion.
1012 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+349online now  28
Pop Smoke reaped what he sowed and more death and chaos will come to this wick..
251 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-77online now  22
Video inside And that’s why people fu*k with her, she’s dope.
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  19
Image(s) inside Kehlani respond to Joe Buddens comments from his podcast
57 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy