CBS Sports Jason La Canfora predicts every NFL teams starting QB for the 2020 season

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

1 month ago '07        #1
3054 page views
56 comments

theFREAK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
space
space
Props total: 97233 97 K  Slaps total: 22709 22 K
CBS Sports Jason La Canfora predicts every NFL teams starting QB for the 2020 season

The Brady Effect – Immediate Impact (5 teams)

Los Angeles Chargers – Tom Brady.

I've long heard this spot would hold unique appeal with Brady and have done significant reporting on it since. His trainers and infrastructure are already in SoCal, his family would be a very short private plane ride away, he enjoyed living in Malibu before, holds off-season workouts at USC. He'd be in Hollywood, where a second career as a producer or media mogul of some sort likely awaits and his buddies Matt Damon and Ben Affleck make power moves. He'd be in the perfect spot to market his TB12 brand. It would be huge for the f*ght to make football really matter in LA. The NFL office would be doing private cartwheels. Stan Kroenke, who is building that $4B stadium in Inglewood, would be overjoyed. If Brady does actually leave New England, this would be top of his list from everything I gather (and that list would not be very long). Could the Chargers close a move of this magnitude? Perhaps we'll find out, as either way it's looked for a while that Philip Rivers is on the way out. Heck, they could draft a Justin Herbert and have him sit behind Brady for two years. Speaking of which …

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Philip Rivers.

I hear that Bruce Arians is quite intrigued by Rivers. He hears great things about him from his old pal Ken Whisenhunt, who used to coach Rivers, and the veteran would come much cheaper than what the much younger Jameis Winston would like to command. Arians prefers veterans and this would be akin to when he got Carson Palmer in Arizona. BA is year-to-year at this point and breaking in a rookie QB is less than ideal. This brings Rivers way closer to his Alabama roots and he's already moving to Florida. Yeah, he turns the ball over a ton, like Winston, but has a Hall of Fame type resume. As for Jameis …

Raiders – Jameis Winston.

Jon Gruden loves to gamble. He likes Derek Carr, but isn't sure of high-end upside. He wants someone who is more willing to sling it downfield and make big plays. Winston just kinda looks like a Raiders QB, no? What a perfect fit for Vegas. Could you get him on a 2-3 year deal, kinda like a bridge situation, and also draft someone like Jordan Love? Probably. Gruden loves a challenge and coaxing the picks out of Winston certainly qualifies. This way he doesn't mortgage his first round picks to move up for Tua or Burrow, gets a young starter, and can keep drafting weapons on offense.

Washington Redskins – Derek Carr.

Owner Dan Snyder loves first round pick Dwayne Haskins, but new coach Ron Rivera, who has extensive power, has already publicly hedged his bets. Rivera's first hire, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, is a champion of Carr's and they went to the playoffs together with Carr an MVP candidate. Yes, Alex Smith is still costing $19M, but Snyder could restructure Carr's deal easily to bring his 2020 cap hit down to like $7M and it's a long shot Smith ever plays again. Carr's contract is cheap enough to flip again down the road if need be.

New England Patriots – Teddy Bridgewater.

Still a young pup in his mid-20s, but has gone through life-changing injuries and cleared major hurdles. Outstanding kid with a first-round pedigree and abundant upside. Protects the football. Would have a great defense behind him. You need someone with high potential to replace Brady, Bill Belichick wouldn't want a full rebuild, and they pick too low to get a sure-thing QB in the draft.

Other Teams Making Moves, Or At Least Thinking About It (11 teams)

Cincinnati Bengals – Joe Burrow.

Someone might blow them away with an offer for the first-overall pick, but they love this kid already, will fall more in love with him in the pre-draft process and ownership badly wants a young, cheap potential star QB to build around.

Chicago Bears – Andy Dalton.

I figure Mitchell Trubisky is maybe handed the starting job for Week 1, with so many jobs on the line for mistakenly drafting him too high in the first place, with they need someone to push him. Dalton would make a lot of sense. New coordinator Bill Lazor working with him in Cincy, knows the offense inside out, is cheap enough on a one-year deal. Trading for him would make a ton of sense. Dalton loved playing for him, is close with Lazor, is a great example for the youngster and the Bears know they need to win more games. Reminds me of Marcus Mariota/Ryan Tannehill from a year ago.

Indianapolis Colts – Jacoby Brissett/Marcus Mariota.

Indy would like to upgrade here, but Brissett is set to make $16M and I couldn't find a good trade for him in this exercise. New England drafted him but I believe will aim bigger if Brady leaves. In that case, signing Mariota to push him wouldn't be a bad idea. There may be still something to tap into, and Mariota wouldn't have to live up to the hype of being the second-overall pick with the Colts. Would give Frank Reich some Wildcat options. This could be the landing spot for Rivers as well, with Reich having long ties to him.

Miami Dolphins – Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tua Tagovailoa.

Miami has been looking for a QB of the future seemingly since Dan Marino's career winded down. Tua may need to sit a little bit given the hip surgery and no need to rush anything. But Miami is loaded with picks from its roster teardown.

New Orleans Saints – Drew Brees.

He's over 40 now, and a free agent. But I get every indication he wants to keep playing and New Orleans far and away makes the most sense for him. Is Taysom Hill their QB of the future?

Carolina Panthers – Cam Newton.

Perhaps they fall in love with a QB in the draft, with Matt Rhule's new staff there heavy on college experience. But in the end I suspect they play it out another year with the former MVP, get him healthy, and they always have the franchise tag in 2021 if they need it should Newton return to form.

Tennessee Titans – Ryan Tannehill.

His acquisition a year ago was one of the sage decisions in all of football, coupled with Mike Vrabel opting to turn the team over to him before all was lost. It may require a franchise tag to keep him at this point, but that should be a no brainer, frankly. They have cap and cash to spare.

Jacksonville Jaguars – Nick Foles.

Couldn't find a way for them to trade that contract for any sort of value at all. Ownership is change-resistant and seems married to the idea this team is somehow poised to be at least a quasi contender, so I suspect they are stuck with him and he battles it out with Gardner Minshew (who should have never been benched last year).

Dallas Cowboys – Dak Prescott.

Only question is how much does he end up costing, but the free agent isn't going anywhere and a franchise tag is probably next for him as a trigger for a long-term deal.

Pittsburgh Steelers – Ben Roethlisberger.

On track for a full recovery from elbow surgery this offseason. No doubt he is back for 2020, though this team may need to take another crack at drafting his eventual replacement sooner rather than later.

Denver Broncos – Drew Lock (Case Keenum).

Lock showed abundant promise when finally healthy enough to start in 2019, and hiring Pat Shurmur to run the offense will be a big help. Shurmur bringing Keenum back as a free agent to back him up also makes a ton of sense. Keenum had his career season with Shurmur in Minnesota and knows the system inside out. Is a great mentor and tutor who has already played in Denver before.

Nothing To See Here (16 teams)

Kansas City Chiefs – Patrick Mahomes.

Will he get closer to $45M/year than $40M/ year? That is the only question.

Baltimore Ravens – Lamar Jackson.

NFL MVP just turned 23.

Seattle Seahawks – Russell Wilson.

An MVP contender every year.

Houston Texans – Deshaun Watson.

In line for a payday this offseason.

Philadelphia Eagles – Carson Wentz.

Already extended their young franchise QB.

Green Bay Packers – Aaron Rodgers.

Will they actually let him air it out next season?

Arizona Cardinals – Kyler Murray.

Top overall pick had a nice rookie year.

Detroit Lions – Matthew Stafford.

Was playing like an MVP before he got hurt.

San Francisco 49ers – Jimmy Garoppolo.

Headed to the Super Bowl.

Atlanta Falcons – Matt Ryan.

Pocketed about $75M in less than two years. Massive contract for years to come.

Los Angeles Rams – Jared Goff.

One year into a record-setting extension. He'll be there for a while.

Minnesota Vikings – Kirk Cousins.

Entering the final year of a market-changing three-year, fully guaranteed deal. This team could be at a crossroads a year from now.

Cleveland Browns – Baker Mayfield.

Expected to make a leap forward with a new coaching staff after big regression in 2019.

New York Jets – Sam Darnold.

Looking for more consistency entering Year 3.

Buffalo Bills –Josh Allen.

Still raw but a natural playmaker.

New York Giants – Daniel Jones.

Will the first-round pick suffer at all with Shurmur now gone and a new staff in place?

Last edited by theFREAK; 01-21-2020 at 07:16 PM..

best
worst
56 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
theFREAK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34 OP
space
space
@ @ @

@
@
@ @
@ @ @ @
@

@
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
@

@
@
@

1 month ago '04        #3
!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 82628 82 K  Slaps total: 14871 14 K
 theFREAK said
@ @ @

@
@
@ @
@ @ @ @
@

@
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
@

@
@
@

+8   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '06        #4
soso24 
space
space
Props total: 21240 21 K  Slaps total: 3496 3 K
Damn... Jamarcus Rosen already done in Washington?

1 month ago '06        #5
ohdosraders1 
space
space
Props total: 407 407  Slaps total: 19 19
No way I see them making that move.
+1   

1 month ago '07        #6
space
space
 soso24 said
Damn... Jamarcus Rosen already done in Washington?
Whatever prevents Derek Carr from coming to Las Vegas
+5   

1 month ago '10        #7
LeatherF8ce 
space
space
Props total: 594 594  Slaps total: 125 125

I've been saying this. CBS is gotta to be the worst. I don't see tampa improving under Rivers and giving up Winston who still has alot years left in him, i can't see it happening
+7   

1 month ago '07        #8
KeepinItTrill 
space
space
Props total: 35891 35 K  Slaps total: 2709 2 K
+3   

1 month ago '06        #9
RAZAH CUTS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
space
space
Props total: 51936 51 K  Slaps total: 7714 7 K
no predictions for where Tua gonna land?

1 month ago '07        #10
KeepinItTrill 
space
space
Props total: 35891 35 K  Slaps total: 2709 2 K
 RAZAH CUTS said

Miami has been looking for a QB of the future seemingly since Dan Marino's career winded down. Tua may need to sit a little bit given the hip surgery and no need to rush anything. But Miami is loaded with picks from its roster teardown.
+3   

1 month ago '14        #11
Cuttysark 
space
space
Props total: 18785 18 K  Slaps total: 1210 1 K
No to Dalton

Rather draft a 5th round project at QB
+2   

1 month ago '04        #12
jumpman2304 
space
space
Props total: 8420 8 K  Slaps total: 1665 1 K
We’re already at a crossroads ..

We pretty much need to extend him for a year Or 2 to give us relief on the cap this year ..

fu*k . I don’t know . We in a tough a*s spot
+2   

1 month ago '06        #13
jj01 
space
space
Props total: 15449 15 K  Slaps total: 6050 6 K
you know damn well those racist fu*ks will not accept a libyian qb

1 month ago '05        #14
rellish 
space
space
Props total: 3966 3 K  Slaps total: 656 656
Lord give us Tommy & FINALLY improve our O-line through the draft

Maybe we can ignore qb this year in the draft & just roll with Tyrod as the backup. If thats the case we'd be able to invest that #6 pick in a O-line or trade down some

#Chargers

1 month ago '07        #15
space
space
 RAZAH CUTS said

+4   

1 month ago '14        #16
Paris Trillton 
space
space
space
Props total: 713 713  Slaps total: 94 94

You gotta be fu*king kidding me.

Hell fu*king no.

Winston in Vegas is a disaster waiting to happen but at the same time, at least dude is fearless. Which is more than we can say for Carr...

But even still, fu*k that.

Real talk though, if Washington wants Carr then give us Haskins. I'd rather have Haskins than Carr / Jameis tbh.

1 month ago '04        #17
Kadroan 
space
space
Props total: 16671 16 K  Slaps total: 3371 3 K
 LeatherF8ce said

I've been saying this. CBS is gotta to be the worst. I don't see tampa improving under Rivers and giving up Winston who still has alot years left in him, i can't see it happening
As soon as I seen who wrote this article I didn't put much stock in it.

I think Rivers stay and be a mentor like Eli like this past year in NY for the next QB, likely Herbert.

Last edited by Kadroan; 01-21-2020 at 08:35 PM..
+1   

1 month ago '04        #18
Kadroan 
space
space
 KeepinItTrill said

I could see it. I wonder where Rosen goes. Pats?

1 month ago '17        #19
MilliRock  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 31323 31 K  Slaps total: 2411 2 K

1 month ago '09        #20
That Guy Fly 
space
space
Props total: 26772 26 K  Slaps total: 8365 8 K
What if Rivers is in Florida to play for Miami not Tampa? What if Brady chooses Miami? Either way both teams can still draft a QB this year to sit behind them and learn
+1   

1 month ago '17        #21
bmf24eva  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6979 6 K  Slaps total: 2475 2 K
sh*t, if im Brady and I dont stay in NE..i'd rather go to Tampa Bay if its about money and a title.

They WR/TE weapons nuts....and can easily fix the Oline and get a RB in the draft.
+2   

1 month ago '04        #22
Kadroan 
space
space
I think Brady stays in NE but they get him some help on offense.

I think Jameis stays but on a team friendly deal where he could get cut after 2 years and they draft a QB like Eason to push him.

I think Raiders keep Carr and Skins stick with Haskins.

I think CAR trades Cam. Not sure where he ends up. CAR looks like they're rebuilding.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #23
JustVibe 
space
space
space
Props total: 12015 12 K  Slaps total: 757 757
Lol y’all really think Brady leaving the patriots ??? Yeah ok

1 month ago '04        #24
Kadroan 
space
space
 That Guy Fly said
What if Rivers is in Florida to play for Miami not Tampa? What if Brady chooses Miami? Either way both teams can still draft a QB this year to sit behind them and learn
Fitzpatrick already perfect fit in MIA. Can't see MIA moving on from Fitzpatrick. I'd be shocked if Brady leaves NE

1 month ago '17        #25
Ifeellikekobe 
space
space
Props total: 41607 41 K  Slaps total: 2610 2 K
Ah lawd no. Raiders would find a way to start Jamesis

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  26
Clipse Manager Tony Gonzalez on Vlad
116 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+101online now  22
Image(s) inside Husband Plucks 4 Teeth From Wife’s Mouth After Discovering His 3 Child..
219 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+17online now  20
Feb 22 - bernie tells democrat establishment....we got beef.....i declare war
23 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17
Article inside the GAMBIT movie that was never made -summary