Why Companies Like Google And Facebook Pay Hackers Millions

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '10        #1
1084 page views
6 comments

Shhon 
space
space
Props total: 40135 40 K  Slaps total: 3979 3 K
Why Companies Like Google And Facebook Pay Hackers Millions

CNBC
Jan 14, 2020

When most people think about hackers, they think about criminals. But the past decade has seen a rise in a new type of hacker -- the “ethical hacker.” These men and women use their skills for good by helping companies protect themselves.
+4   

best
worst
6 comments

1 month ago '04        #2
JJH35  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 2631 2 K  Slaps total: 281 281
The problem from the outset was whomever decided the definition should include some form of words or another that a "hacker" is "someone who gains unauthorized access to data".

"ethical" hackers as the article calls it, more commonly referred to when they aren't trying to make it more broadly understood, being white hat hackers have been around as long as the black hats.

The only reason I guess you could say there is a "rise", although I wouldn't agree with the article wording of a "new type of hacker" is because you can get paid legit now for finding vulns in someones network/software/app/whatever so it allows it to be public, because folks can collect bug bounties and sh*t.

If companies would have adopted paying people more skilled than them or their IT dept. to find the holes years ago, instead of thinking it was bad / lets punish this person if we find them because they shouldn't be allowed to find out where we fu*ked up...the cost woulda just been another part of the balance sheet...and nothing special.
+2   

1 month ago '18        #3
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 20452 20 K  Slaps total: 2188 2 K
What's the white hat hacker pay looking like bro? I ain't watching this sh*t
+2   

1 month ago '06        #4
realgunta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 76267 76 K  Slaps total: 4078 4 K
 BrooklynDamien said
What's the white hat hacker pay looking like bro? I ain't watching this sh*t

"The median salary of an ethical hacker is almost $80,000, according to PayScale, and the top range can climb to well over $100,000. On the consulting side, the EC-Council states that CEH professionals can expect to be paid $15,000 to $45,000 per contract or short-term a*signment."
+1   

1 month ago '12        #5
daman729 
space
space
Props total: 20297 20 K  Slaps total: 954 954
Yep. They get huge contracts too. A cat can walk in and literally work for 15 minutes putting a code in. Then walk out with a $20,000 check lol. Probably even more than that. Honestly when you run a huge business like that, you need people like that. These cats be top notch too. The real deal!! Not script kiddies.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #6
orv 
space
space
Props total: 3892 3 K  Slaps total: 513 513
Bug hunting is boring as fu*k.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+35online now  31
Guy Dry Ages Every Meat, Then Eats Them
73 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+35online now  25
Video inside On the low, u think uncle phil was more proud or shocked that will slep..
34 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  23
Feb 27 - BREAKING: Milwaukee Police Confirm Identity of Molson-Coors Workplace..
127 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+21online now  9
Image(s) inside WE WAS WOLVES (twitter thread)
81 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy