People are fed up with the sky-high cost of smartphones

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
-24  70
181 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '16        #1
4788 page views
84 comments

space
space
Props total: 24155 24 K  Slaps total: 3020 3 K
People are fed up with the sky-high cost of smartphones

Although industry giants like Apple, Samsung, and Google have been pricing their new smartphones at around $1,000 over the past two years, new data shows that such a cost is simply too high for most people.

Fewer than 10% of consumers in the United States are spending more than $1,000 on a new smartphone, according to market research from NPD Group . The firm gathered the data using its Mobile Phone Tracking tool, which uses advertising technology to monitor active devices in the US.

The study is the latest evidence suggesting that tech companies have had a hard time convincing consumers to upgrade to new devices each year as prices increased. Market research firm Kantar Worldpanel reported in 2018 that the average life cycle of a smartphone increased by roughly two months between 2016 and 2018, indicating that consumers had been holding onto their devices for longer periods of time before upgrading.

Global smartphone shipments in general have also been struggling; the industry suffered seven consecutive quarterly declines until the third quarter of 2019, when shipments rose by 0.8%, according to the International Data Corporation.

Some of the world's most influential tech companies, like Apple, Samsung, and Google, have shifted their smartphone launch strategies in recent years to reflect this change. 2019 saw a wave of less-expensive smartphone launches, like the $750 Galaxy S10e from Samsung, the $480 Pixel 3a from Google, and the $700 iPhone 11.

The $1,000 price point only became the norm for flagship smartphones relatively recently as phones gained advanced features like facial recognition, nearly borderless screens, and triple-lens cameras. Apple launched the $1,000 iPhone X in 2017, but before that, its flagship iPhone 7 was priced at $650, or $770 if you opted for the version with a larger screen and two cameras. (It also debuted the less expensive $700 iPhone 8 alongside the iPhone X in 2017.)

The same can be said for Samsung: while the 2016-era Galaxy S7 was priced at around $650, the Galaxy S8 started at around $720 in 2017 not quite as expensive as the iPhone X but pricier than its predecessor nonetheless.This year, Samsung's flagship Galaxy S10 started at $1,000 while Apple's iPhone 11 Pro began at the same price.

As prices increased and smartphone sales slumped, companies like Apple, Samsung, and Google revised their smartphone price strategies. Apple, for example, launched the less expensive $750 iPhone XR alongside its $1,000+ iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max last year. And in 2019, it positioned the less expensive $700 iPhone 11 as its new flagship device, whereas the pricier $1,000-and-higher models with triple-lens cameras were designated as the "Pro" versions. That alone could be interpreted as an acknowledgement that Apple realized a $1,000 smartphone wasn't for everyone .

Samsung, too, launched a less expensive version of the Galaxy S10 this year with its $750 Galaxy S10e, a smaller version of the S10 that lacks some features like an in-screen fingerprint sensor.

In May, Google released a cheaper version of its Pixel 3 called the Pixel 3a, which starts at just $480 and comes with several of the same features as the 2018 Pixel 3. "When we saw this happening, we participated again in premium smartphones but said we need to offer an alternative," Mario Queiroz, who was Google's general manager and vice president of product management for Pixel before recently moving into a new role at the company, previously said to Business Insider.

Launching more than one flagship smartphone isn't new for companies like Apple, Samsung, and Google. But whereas firms like Apple and Samsung would usually launch two smartphone models in different screen sizes before 2017, in more recent years they've shifted toward debuting even more devices at various price points, appealing to consumers with differing budgets.

Next year, the introduction of more 5G devices is expected to further fuel smartphone upgrades, as Cristiano Amon, president of the market-leading mobile chipmaker Qualcomm recently said to Business Insider . But considering today's 5G phones are typically more expensive than non-5G models, there's a chance consumers may be reluctant to adopt 5G, NPD points out. Samsung's Galaxy S10 5G, for example, launched at $1,300 in May.

"Overall awareness and purchase intent is high," Brad Akyuz, executive director and industry analyst at NPD Connected Intelligence, wrote in the research firm's announcement of the study. "But only a small segment of the market can afford these $1,000+ devices."

visit this link https://www.businessinsid .. w/72496827.cms
+4   

best
worst
84 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
Props total: 4514 4 K  Slaps total: 310 310
good, them bi*ches got out of hand with the fu*k sh*t...these greedy companies need a reality check
+70   

1 month ago '15        #3
donnyyy 
space
space
space
Props total: 6876 6 K  Slaps total: 1049 1 K
Well people determine the market when they plop down 1500 dollars on a phone

Don't do it. In general, its the principle, that's a new Macbook Pro, or a gaming PC, or rent or whatever lol.
+43   

1 month ago '15        #4
6shake6  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 6207 6 K  Slaps total: 3006 3 K
I REFUSE pay over $150 for a Damn phone...Copped a Dual-Sim Huawei from Overseas that'll SMOKE any BS iPhone!
+23   

1 month ago '09        #5
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 8510 8 K  Slaps total: 1863 1 K
I buy phones that meet my needs. Generally, I'm always at least 2 generations behind. To me, that's the perfect sweet spot between price and performance.

Right now I'm still using my S7 Edge and it's showing its age a little and normally I probably would be on an S9 right now but this mother fu*ker is solid still. I still don't plan to move on to another phone until sometime next year.

You can't tell me anyone buying a $1,000 phone really has needs that require a $1,000 phone to meet them.
+22   

1 month ago '13        #6
papadonna 
space
space
Props total: 320 320  Slaps total: 76 76
 6shake6 said
I REFUSE pay over $150 for a Damn phone...Copped a Dual-Sim Huawei from Overseas that'll SMOKE any BS iPhone!
Please tell me how so. Iím dying to know what information you have that I do not?
+3   

1 month ago '04        #7
tonymann 
space
space
Props total: 388 388  Slaps total: 24 24
 papadonna said
Please tell me how so. Iím dying to know what information you have that I do not?
China probably posted that from his phone
+40   

1 month ago '13        #8
papadonna 
space
space
 tonymann said
+11   

1 month ago '08        #9
J_Clarity13 
space
space
Props total: 7175 7 K  Slaps total: 723 723
$400 and up is too much for a phone for me. I got a Note 9 refurbished for $350.
+12   

1 month ago '04        #10
Tic Toc 
space
space
Props total: 5550 5 K  Slaps total: 490 490
 tonymann said
+3   

1 month ago '05        #11
Dipset Dipset 
space
space
Props total: 291 291  Slaps total: 3 3
Off topic sort of, but could anyone suggest where would be the best spot to grab a refurbished / new iPhone 7+ or 8+ for mom dukes for Christmas. Shes rocking a 6 and battery is going to sh*t so I'd like to get her a slightly newer/bigger phone. Thanks in advance.
+4   

1 month ago '09        #12
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
space
space
Props total: 151657 151 K  Slaps total: 18900 18 K
a phone is a phone

some just use more expensive parts than others

its just a nonstop battle of phone maker tv ad propaganda
+7   

1 month ago '18        #13
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 23183 23 K  Slaps total: 8194 8 K
 papadonna said
Camera lens has a 50x zoom
+2   

1 month ago '05        #14
dizzle trizzle 
space
space
Props total: 11038 11 K  Slaps total: 1183 1 K
80 dollar smartphones for me yeah I'm one of them
+13   

1 month ago '13        #15
papadonna 
space
space
 Oswaldgatesjr said
Camera lens has a 50x zoom
That’s pretty cool and all but that doesn’t solidify any statements made. I don’t think I have any use for that tbh.
+2   

1 month ago '17        #16
FCWGM 
space
space
space
Props total: 1072 1 K  Slaps total: 132 132
Brah I want that new razr coming out soon
But these n*ggas want 1500 for that sh*t!!!

I miss flip phones but not that much!
+9   

1 month ago '05        #17
bx old head  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 32267 32 K  Slaps total: 2449 2 K
 Zaosyn said
I buy phones that meet my needs. Generally, I'm always at least 2 generations behind. To me, that's the perfect sweet spot between price and performance.

Right now I'm still using my S7 Edge and it's showing its age a little and normally I probably would be on an S9 right now but this mother fu*ker is solid still. I still don't plan to move on to another phone until sometime next year.

You can't tell me anyone buying a $1,000 phone really has needs that require a $1,000 phone to meet them.
Exactly bruh

Where all them dudes at on here always complaining saying that their samsung slows down or dies after 6 months???

+3   

1 month ago '18        #18
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 23183 23 K  Slaps total: 8194 8 K
 papadonna said
Thatís pretty cool and all but that doesnít solidify any statements made. I donít think I have any use for that tbh.
Tech is equal too or better than iphone. Chinese parts are cheaper. Ur just in love with an apple aka the bmw of phones. Money pits
+4   

1 month ago '05        #19
projectd06 
space
space
Props total: 16815 16 K  Slaps total: 4717 4 K
I bought the Galaxy s8 like 2 months ago, the fu*k I look like spending 1000 on a phone.

From what I understand the specs on the American version of the phone is sh*t compared to ones in Europe, all hearsay dont quote me all butthurt.
+2   

1 month ago '09        #20
BMAN626 
space
space
Props total: 1278 1 K  Slaps total: 696 696
 PhrozenMenace said
good, them bi*ches got out of hand with the fu*k sh*t...these greedy companies need a reality check
Link?

1 month ago '18        #21
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 18942 18 K  Slaps total: 2046 2 K
 Dipset Dipset said
Off topic sort of, but could anyone suggest where would be the best spot to grab a refurbished / new iPhone 7+ or 8+ for mom dukes for Christmas. Shes rocking a 6 and battery is going to sh*t so I'd like to get her a slightly newer/bigger phone. Thanks in advance.

I bought a 4s last year from them and was surprised how new it looked. Still didn't use it yet lol I have to find out what network it's supposed to be. They tell you that and everything. 300 bucks for the iPhone 8 here
+4   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '17        #22
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 80943 80 K  Slaps total: 35760 35 K
If you fu*ked up credit having n*ggas could get on a contract with one of the 4 major carriers then you wouldn't have to worry about paying a stack for a new phone.

1 month ago '13        #23
papadonna 
space
space
 Oswaldgatesjr said
Tech is equal too or better than iphone. Chinese parts are cheaper. Ur just in love with an apple aka the bmw of phones. Money pits
I didnít say I was in love with it. Iím asking you to provide me facts that make the phone ďsmokeĒ any iPhone on the market.

Havenít heard anything yet but 50x zoom.

Iím not going on a Safari any time soon so thatís not enough.
+2   

1 month ago '19        #24
jordanair45 
space
space
Props total: 2961 2 K  Slaps total: 712 712
For something so crucial in my life. It’s cheap to me.

I got my iPhone interest free for 24 months. It works out to less than $1.40 per day to use it (minus the plan ).

I’m with it .

1 month ago '15        #25
donnyyy 
space
space
space
Props total: 6876 6 K  Slaps total: 1049 1 K
 messy marv stan said
a phone is a phone

some just use more expensive parts than others

its just a nonstop battle of phone maker tv ad propaganda
Truth of the matter is the tech innovation has stalled.

Sure they upgraded until they became little mini computers but at this point its all a screen and camera butt ream.

That iphone 12 removing all ports including charging, yet charging more for the phone is asinine. A faster chip and Sammy or LG's folding screen which allows it to be bezel-less should not cost that much.

Ever tried to get one of those screens repaired? It'll run you hundreds of dollars which is something you can seriously purchase a 4kTV for nowadays.

Next phones you already know,

✔snapdragon blah blah blah

✔blah blah megapixel camera

✔blah blah gb of memory

and

✔an oled screen that drains your battery faster than the last phone
+20   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+16online now  42
Power tv shooter got leaked
289 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
-48online now  35
REAL OR FAKE NEWS? Woman in OTF Dede's cam video killed!
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  32
Jan 20 - Immune cell which kills most cancers discovered by accident
32 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  20
Image(s) inside Big Gipp of Goodie Mob said he saw Shaq, Bone Thugs got robbed in L.A.
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy