Dec 10 - About 4,000 US truck drivers left jobless after firm declares bankruptcy

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
9 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

1 month ago '05        #1
3312 page views
79 comments

phantomnation  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
space
space
Props total: 67097 67 K  Slaps total: 5036 5 K
Dec 10 - About 4,000 US truck drivers left jobless after firm declares bankruptcy

Andrea Smith has a daughter who turns eight on 20 December, five days before Christmas. Now the trucker’s birthday and Christmas plans have been thrown into disarray by the largest trucking firm bankruptcy in history.

“I’m not sure what’s going to happen or if I’ll get to be home if I’m able to find another job quickly. I’m crushed,” said Smith, a truck operator for Celadon, hours after it declared it was going out of business.

Smith is one of about 4,000 truck drivers across the US who were notified on Monday that their employer was ceasing operations after filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The filing makes it the largest bankruptcy in trucking history.

The logistics carrier, based in Indianapolis, reported annual revenues more than $1bn as recently as 2015. But a federal fraud investigation, huge debts and the “enormous challenges” in the industry, according to the chief executive, Paul Svindland, have forced the trucking company off the road.

Many of the truck drivers were left stranded in the midst of making deliveries, as they await receiving bus tickets from the company to return home, now jobless and left without benefits two weeks before Christmas. Their fuel cards were shut off, and many were reported left without any directions on where or how to turn in their rigs.

“We were lied to for months,” said Smith, who has worked for Celadon for a year. “We’ve been ignored, some stranded for days. I’ve still yet to hear from anyone at Celadon besides the message after midnight last night that was fleet-wide.”

Smith received the news about 50 miles away from her home in Centreville, Alabama. She explained the company asked her to drive her truck and leave it in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where she would receive a bus ticket back home, but she plans on leaving her truck at the Celadon terminal in Gadsden, Alabama.

Celadon themselves didn’t even alert drivers. We had to find out from different driving companies what was going on

Stephanie Floyd

Celadon has its own issues. The bankruptcy comes just days after Celadon’s former chief financial officer Bobby Lee Peavler and former chief operating officer Eric Meek were arrested and indicted on nine federal charges each involving a $60m fraud scheme, including conspiracy to commit wire and securities fraud and conspiracy to make false statements to the company’s accountants and falsify records. The company also has debts of $293m.

But Celadon’s collapse also comes at a difficult moment for the industry. Thousands of truckers have lost their job in 2019 as the freight market stalled and “spot” prices for shipping – those bought on the open market rather than as part of a contract – fell.

A slowdown in a variety of markets, including housing and autos, and the impact of the US’s trade wars have also contributed to the drop.

About 795 companies shutdown in the first three quarters of 2019, according to transportation industry data firm Broughton Capital, three times the total number of trucker failures for the same period in 2018.

The impact on workers is severe. Scott Riley of Anderson, Indiana, just started working for Celadon in August, and his health insurance coverage began 1 November. His $200-a-week health insurance plan left him with a $23 copay for the $1,400-a-month medication he needs to treat his diabetes. His wife’s $450-a-month medication was completely covered. Now, Riley and his wife, Jennifer, are left with no health insurance coverage, and unsure how they are going to afford their medication.

“I don’t know if I have enough medication to make it through for 90 days,” said Riley. “Rumor has it we will get our final paycheck Friday. They owe me over $1,000, I don’t know if I’m going to get it or not. Honestly it’s just going to be cross your fingers and hope.”

Riley returned his truck to Celadon’s Indianapolis terminal on the morning of 9 December, where he said dozens of other drivers were left stranded, waiting to receive bus tickets to return home.

“We had no clue what was going on. Celadon themselves didn’t even alert drivers. We had to find out from different driving companies what was going on,” said Stephanie Floyd of Denton, North Carolina, whose husband, Travis, drove for Celadon. “It’s a stressful time of year to be out of work and with three small children it makes it harder.”

They have been frustrated and left in the dark, as she said Celadon wasn’t responding to inquiries from workers.

“It’s heartbreaking, trying to find another job on the drop of a dime, hoping to find something in time so we don’t miss a paycheck for bills and still be able to afford to buy our children stuff for Christmas.”

Celadon referred comment to a press release. “Our intent is to ensure drivers deliver their last loads safely and will then be instructed on where to deliver their equipment. I have no further comments,” said Svindland, the chief executive, in an email.

visit this link https://www.theguardian.c .. ckers-stranded
+8   

best
worst
79 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
TKO420 
space
space
Props total: 2243 2 K  Slaps total: 148 148
If i were mid delivery id drop the trailer then ditch the truck 50 miles away. c*cksuckers
+49   

1 month ago '19        #3
93NinetyFour  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
space
Props total: 5258 5 K  Slaps total: 8183 8 K
I remember applying to Celadon way back in the day. They had a relatively decent reputation. I still maintain my CDL but truck driving is for the birds. My time and family is more important. And you can take that one to the bank and deposit it.
+21   

1 month ago '19        #4
93NinetyFour  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
space
Props total: 5258 5 K  Slaps total: 8183 8 K
 TKO420 said
If i were mid delivery id drop the trailer then ditch the truck 50 miles away. c*cksuckers
Minus well. Substantial chance the company tries to hold out on giving out final checks. Screw them before they screw you.

1 month ago '17        #5
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 77914 77 K  Slaps total: 4772 4 K
Thank you trade war and corruption.

+31   

1 month ago '12        #6
OldBusiness 
space
space
Props total: 85423 85 K  Slaps total: 6133 6 K
 Naga Sadow said
Thank you trade war and corruption.

That got damn record low unemployment hit different right before Christmas
+35   

1 month ago '10        #7
AriGold 
space
space
Props total: 5557 5 K  Slaps total: 1302 1 K
Andrew Yang has been saying this since his campaign started.
That $1000 a month would sure help these families.
+38   

1 month ago '07        #8
justblazedown3 
space
space
Props total: 2688 2 K  Slaps total: 2789 2 K
Bruh add up rent and simple utilities and food for month x kids that 1000 ain’t doing sh*t for these folks unless they own their house which many don’t.

1 month ago '05        #9
Daddy Black 
space
space
Props total: 9033 9 K  Slaps total: 858 858
Mad fu*ked up. I saw this on news earlier but reading this article helped me understand more. Those greedy fu*ks just ruined many lives they going under the jail.
+15   

1 month ago '08        #10
606robin 
space
space
Props total: 9068 9 K  Slaps total: 723 723
 justblazedown3 said
Bruh add up rent and simple utilities and food for month x kids that 1000 ain’t doing sh*t for these folks unless they own their house which many don’t.
If it’s a family though, one father and mother. That’s most folks mortgage, as long as they’re not in a high COL place.
+11   

1 month ago '08        #11
606robin 
space
space
Props total: 9068 9 K  Slaps total: 723 723
I work on diesel sh*t on the side (generators, engines and off road sh*t) it has too much work, but not close to enough employees. Seriously, it could be simple with generators, like resesetting a fault. Yet, I bill like $500. Takes me less than 15 mins depending on brand and model. One of the few black dudes in my city doing this sh*t. Didn’t even group, knowing about cars or tools. Thank the Army

I feel for truck drivers, the days of “big companies” tons of unneeded costs and sh*t are over. I’d rather drop 100k in getting a business loan for hot shottin, getting 2 ram 3500s, 2 trailers, DOT sh*t, warranties and make that 100k investment back in less than 6 months. Vs a big rig, no matter the brand. Needing to go further, needing more expensive repairs and liabilities.

Last edited by 606robin; 12-11-2019 at 07:15 AM..
+32   

1 month ago '15        #12
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 31791 31 K  Slaps total: 5262 5 K
Major L Wow
+3   

1 month ago '16        #13
postemupndunkit 
space
space
Props total: 34328 34 K  Slaps total: 5256 5 K
 606robin said
I work on diesel sh*t on the side (generators, engines and off road sh*t) it has too much work, but not close to enough employees. Seriously, it could be simple with generators, like resesetting a fault. Yet, I bill like $500. Takes me less than 15 mins depending on brand and model. One of the few black dudes in my city doing this sh*t. Didn’t even group, knowing about cars orntools. Thank the Army

I feel for truck drivers, the days of “big companies” tons of unneeded costs and sh*t are over. I’d rather drop 100k in getting a business loan for hot shorting, getting 2 ram 3500s, 2 trailers, DOT sh*t, warranties and make that 100k investment back in less than 6 months. Vs a big rig, no matter the brand. Needing to go further, needing more expensive repairs and liabilities.
Yeah you feel for these guys but the writing been on the wall since destiny’s child lol

The trucking industry is getting automated the days of CB radio and lot lizards are coming to a close
+19   

1 month ago '06        #14
new2hiphop 
space
space
space
Props total: 47258 47 K  Slaps total: 3264 3 K
 AriGold said
Andrew Yang has been saying this since his campaign started.
That $1000 a month would sure help these families.
I can’t stress the importance of the $1000 yang plan but dudes acting like they do t need it
+20   

1 month ago '17        #15
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 35334 35 K  Slaps total: 5538 5 K
 postemupndunkit said
Yeah you feel for these guys but the writing been on the wall since destiny’s child lol

The trucking industry is getting automated the days of CB radio and lot lizards are coming to a close
Wait til a**holes have machines do all the work the lucky unlucky bastards the men will be absolute
+3   

1 month ago '19        #16
BOLO1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 3360 3 K  Slaps total: 507 507
When A.I. is industrialized for these mainstream companies, I can see anarchy and chaos breaking loose. Literary...

+9   

1 month ago '14        #17
Christian238 
space
space
Props total: 5343 5 K  Slaps total: 662 662
Drive the truck to where and drop it where with no return ticket?.....U got me fu*ked up...

I'm driving that bish home and ya'll can come pick it up if you want it that bad...

+36   

1 month ago '05        #18
Ron Swanson 
space
space
Props total: 62716 62 K  Slaps total: 6094 6 K
"The logistics carrier, based in Indianapolis, reported annual revenues more than $1bn as recently as 2015. But a federal fraud investigation, huge debts and the “enormous challenges” in the industry, according to the chief executive, Paul Svindland, have forced the trucking company off the road."

sh*t those guys at the top are gonna walk away rich as fu*k from all this still... I feel really bad for those drivers, this is really fu*ked up

I saw in another article about it that they wont receive any unused vacation pay either... These dudes knew they were gonna fold and took the cowardly way out by shutting sh*t down one day and really not explaining anything to the workers about it.

Last edited by Ron Swanson; 12-11-2019 at 12:44 AM..
+21   

1 month ago '11        #19
awww 
space
space
Props total: 31667 31 K  Slaps total: 24423 24 K
When they start adapting to driverless trucks a lot more of they a*ses gonna be out of the job. I had a friend of my argue me down telling me it’s never gonna happen and he’s always bragging bout how he make 100k a year driving trucks I said n*gga not for long robots gonna put yo stupid a*s out of the job you better have a back up plan. He wouldn’t hear it lol
+7   

1 month ago '15        #20
jharlem0500  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 14699 14 K  Slaps total: 4230 4 K
 Christian238 said
Drive the truck to where and drop it where with no return ticket?.....U got me fu*ked up...

I'm driving that bish home and ya'll can come pick it up if you want it that bad...

All the way fu*ked up.

And I’m selling the load...
+12   

1 month ago '17        #21
TheLastNonEarth 
space
space
Props total: 65109 65 K  Slaps total: 7002 7 K
 awww said
When they start adapting to driverless trucks a lot more of they a*ses gonna be out of the job. I had a friend of my argue me down telling me it’s never gonna happen and he’s always bragging bout how he make 100k a year driving trucks I said n*gga not for long robots gonna put yo stupid a*s out of the job you better have a back up plan. He wouldn’t hear it lol

OTR one way doubles and triples on a highway like 70 or 80 in Nebraska can possibly be automated in the next 10 years
City driving is an entirely different animal.
Like Elon is saying, it'll be way easier if all cars could communicate with one another, e.g . If all cars were automated. Drivers present too many variables for robots to deal with. Just because someone has a turn signal on doesn't mean they're turning. and they better equip that b!tch with a fish eye lens to catch that idiot willing to risk it all running across 4 lanes of traffic to catch a bus that'll come again in 15 minutes. No city was made with 13' 6" trucks in mind but Chicago and NYC are bad for large vehicles on steroids. Lots of curb gets chewed and lots of cars have to be begged to back up to allow wide turns. Lots of posting up on city streets too waiting for your turn to back in. Humans are unpredictable ...not to mention if you've ever been a driver you'd know that shippers and receivers STAY BEHIND on loading & unloading. I'd like to see where a small warehouse is going to stash 8 automated trucks that show up on the same morning when they're too behind to facilitate them.

Last edited by TheLastNonEarth; 12-11-2019 at 06:24 AM..
+20   

1 month ago '17        #22
TheLastNonEarth 
space
space
Props total: 65109 65 K  Slaps total: 7002 7 K
 Christian238 said

Frfr.

In fact, I'm putting a lien on it until I receive my last pay check.
+7   

1 month ago '18        #23
BlaqThum 
space
space
Props total: 3819 3 K  Slaps total: 234 234
Car hauling doing just fine.... I do a turn around from LA to Denver 6 day run avg about 1800 a week
When I stay local for a week get about 1500

This is company pay imma be getting my own next year before summer rush start and that same LA to Denver turn around gone bring about 6gz net profit

It’s risky if it ain’t calculated... of course but if you cross yo Tz and dot the iz in the beginning it’s no reason you can’t get a 100k profit first year
+15   

1 month ago '18        #24
Lsulakersaints 
space
space
Props total: 7240 7 K  Slaps total: 369 369
 93NinetyFour said
I remember applying to Celadon way back in the day. They had a relatively decent reputation. I still maintain my CDL but truck driving is for the birds. My time and family is more important. And you can take that one to the bank and deposit it.
Facts, I hit the road for a year, then started driving cement mixers

1 month ago '09        #25
The Bully  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 111346 111 K  Slaps total: 24992 24 K
Majority of those drivers are uneducated with no other trade or job skills. Now they will resort to robbing and other criminal acts just to survive.
+8   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  35
Video inside Selena Gomez Gets "Rare" Tattoo Amid Desperation To Beat Roddy Ricch On..
72 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+20online now  34
Video inside Power’s “Who Shot Ghost” Mystery Solved! Killer Revealed + More! [SPOIL..
161 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  31
Jan 18 - Virginia Gun Rally On MLK Day: Charlottesville Part 2
175 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-45online now  14
Article inside This Yummy challenge taking over black twitter #itslit