Dec 6 - Piece of Africa Found Under Alabama

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
56 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '19        #1
3477 page views
41 comments

swavesurfer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
space
Props total: 2713 2 K  Slaps total: 1592 1 K
Dec 6 - Piece of Africa Found Under Alabama

quarter of a billion years ago Africa slammed into North America and left a scar that can be seen today with special instruments.

Continental breakups are proving to be just as destructive as some human separations. Geologists say they have found a fragment of Africa embedded in the southeastern U.S., a remnant of the rift that occurred between the two continents some 250 million years ago.

Scientists have known for some time of the presence of a strange band of magnetic rock that stretches from Alabama through Georgia and offshore to the North Carolina coast, but its origin has been debated. The ribbon of rock is buried about 9 to 12 miles below the surface.

According to a new study published in the journal Geological Society of America, the fissure, known as the Brunswick Magnetic Anomaly, was created hundreds of millions of years ago when the crusts of Africa and North America were yanked apart like stitches in a piece of cloth.

"There was an attempt to rip away Florida and southern Georgia," geologist Robert Hatcher, of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, told Discovery. "So you have a failed rift there Ö There are pieces of crust that started in Africa."

Crustal rocks keep records of Earthís magnetic field. The magnetism is stored by minerals, particularly strongly magnetic minerals like magnetite. Scientists can discover important information about plate tectonics, the large-scale motion of Earthís outermost shell, by determining the source of distinct striped magnetic anomalies Ė kind of like studying the fingerprints left behind at a crime scene.

Scientists have attributed the Brunswick Magnetic Anomaly to a belt of 200 million-year-old volcanic rocks that were formed around the time the Atlantic Ocean was shaped. The location of the magnetic anomaly is thought to mark the point where North America separated from the rest of the supercontinent Pangaea.

Pangaea is believed to have been created millions of years ago after Earthís tectonic plates collided, drifted apart, and then smashed into each other again before going their separate ways for good.

The lead author of the study, Elias Parker Jr. of the University of Georgia, says there might be a larger portion of Africa left behind in the southeast U.S. than already detected.

"This is just the start to understanding the structure of the Southeast U.S.," Parker told Discovery. "What I'm trying to do is come up with a simple explanation for this."

Another theory about the origin of the Brunswick Magnetic Anomaly says that the rift is much older and could mark the original collision zone between the two tectonic plates.
visit this link http://www.geologyin.com/ .. r-alabama.html
+14   

best
worst
41 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
Jeet Kune Do 
space
space
Props total: 5880 5 K  Slaps total: 522 522
Africas blood is in that states soil
+48   

1 month ago '18        #3
Sandyy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 23611 23 K  Slaps total: 6009 6 K
Knowing bama they bout to blow that sh*t up and kick it down to latin america
+6   

1 month ago '18        #4
Obeybrad 
space
space
Props total: 311 311  Slaps total: 105 105
This doesn’t make sense. If they were once pieced together wouldn’t that make the whole n and s a piece of Africa?
+7   

1 month ago '18        #5
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 47673 47 K  Slaps total: 6337 6 K
Makes you really wonder what happened back in time. What aren’t we being told?
+32   

1 month ago '07        #6
willie_s 
space
space
Props total: 649 649  Slaps total: 140 140
We dont believe you
+1   

1 month ago '05        #7
kriskross00 
space
space
Props total: 59709 59 K  Slaps total: 7316 7 K
 SFamilyRep said
Makes you really wonder what happened back in time. What arenít we being told?
What? Isnt it common knowledge that the countries were once combined? What is that like 6th grade GEO?
+32   

1 month ago '19        #8
Bobert 
space
space
Props total: 882 882  Slaps total: 275 275
 SFamilyRep said
pangea fam
+25   

1 month ago '16        #9
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 9188 9 K  Slaps total: 1163 1 K
 Bobert said
pangea fam
these n*ggas got n/a education fr
+15   

1 month ago '18        #10
space
space
 SFamilyRep said
No disrespect but I wish yíall would fully fu*king read what I said. I clearly said what I meant to say. Cmon man, Iím not some fu*king airhead. Iím very good at history and science family. I know about Pangea
+1   

1 month ago '05        #11
kriskross00 
space
space
 SFamilyRep said
No disrespect but I wish yíall would fully fu*king read what I said. I clearly said what I meant to say. Cmon man, Iím not some fu*king airhead. Iím very good at history and science family. I know about Pangea
You said what arnt we being told......about what?! What about the OP hints at us being lied to?
+3   

1 month ago '16        #12
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
Props total: 3813 3 K  Slaps total: 1023 1 K
 swavesurfer said

"There was an attempt to rip away Florida and southern Georgia," geologist Robert Hatcher, of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, told Discovery. "
Sh*t, if Africa still want Florida they can have it for free.

I kid, I kid.
+14   

1 month ago '18        #13
space
space
 kriskross00 said
You said what arnt we being told......about what?! What about the OP hints at us being lied to?
I know what I said n*gga....about everything, not necessarily about OP, but you can include that too.

So let me ask you something. Do you think we’re being told everything in our history books coming up as a youth?

Let me guess you you believe everything your told

1 month ago '05        #14
kriskross00 
space
space
 SFamilyRep said
I know what I said n*gga....about everything, not necessarily about OP, but you can include that too.

So let me ask you something. Do you think we’re being told everything in our history books coming up as a youth?

Let me guess you you believe everything your told
I dont believe we are fully capable of knowing everything that happened in the past. Which is why we continue to find new things daily..that doesnt mean we were lied to

Ah..ur a Knicks fan..nvm fam you got it

1 month ago '18        #15
space
space
 kriskross00 said
I dont believe we are fully capable of knowing everything that happened in the past. Which is why we continue to find new things daily..that doesnt mean we were lied to

Ah..ur a Knicks fan..nvm fam you got it
Is withholding evidence the same as lying?

1 month ago '05        #16
kriskross00 
space
space
 SFamilyRep said
Is withholding evidence the same as lying?
Ur confusing withholding with being ignorant to the fact..which is the point of my initial post..what about OP makes you think we were lied to here? When you urself (after being made a fool) said you knew the countries were once connected
+3   

1 month ago '17        #17
Drewsmit 
space
space
space
Props total: 10505 10 K  Slaps total: 1749 1 K
 Jeet Kune Do said
Africas blood is in that states soil
Powerful
+5   

1 month ago '16        #18
Teknicks 
space
space
Props total: 22427 22 K  Slaps total: 3887 3 K
 kriskross00 said
Ur confusing withholding with being ignorant to the fact..which is the point of my initial post..what about OP makes you think we were lied to here? When you urself (after being made a fool) said you knew the countries were once connected
Just give up bro. You'll never win with someone who seeks questions not answers.
+2   

1 month ago '15        #19
thirssty58 
space
space
Props total: 27411 27 K  Slaps total: 4258 4 K
All the continents were connected who cares
+1   

1 month ago '04        #20
nastynotic 
space
space
space
Props total: 667 667  Slaps total: 102 102
WAKANDA?!?! jk jk

1 month ago '05        #21
kriskross00 
space
space
 Teknicks said
Just give up bro. You'll never win with someone who seeks questions not answers.
Yea like I said..hes a Knicks fan

1 month ago '15        #22
gaapplewood 
space
space
Props total: 5017 5 K  Slaps total: 462 462
 Obeybrad said
This doesnít make sense. If they were once pieced together wouldnít that make the whole n and s a piece of Africa?
North America is west Africa
+4   

1 month ago '17        #23
KingJaffeO 
space
space
Props total: 472 472  Slaps total: 125 125
This type of sh*t don’t register in these social media azz niccaz brains...they getting ready to celebrate Jesus Christ Birthday
+1   

1 month ago '04        #24
GoldynChyld421 
space
space
Props total: 2577 2 K  Slaps total: 369 369
 Obeybrad said
This doesnít make sense. If they were once pieced together wouldnít that make the whole n and s a piece of Africa?
Bruh, this sh*t confused me as well, the way it was written.

First they say Africa and N. America slammed into each other. Then they say they ripped apart. Then later in the article they say Pangea started when continents drifted together, then apart, then slammed into each other?
+1   

1 month ago '18        #25
Turfaholic3 
space
space
space
Props total: 7784 7 K  Slaps total: 1365 1 K
 gaapplewood said
North America is west Africa
Nah son. sh*t would be more West Europe. South America was connected to Africa.
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  25
Video inside Selena Gomez Gets "Rare" Tattoo Amid Desperation To Beat Roddy Ricch On..
45 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+34online now  10
Image(s) inside Westside Gunn Droppiní New Project ďPray For ParisĒ
113 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-16online now  5
Aaron Hernandez being in love with another man is false
165 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+29online now  3
Image(s) inside Boxdenís Very Own To Battle Chef Trez [March 13] (Atlanta, GA)
54 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy