Nov 22 - NYTs Goes after Tulsi for her clothes.....

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '18        #1
1905 page views
28 comments

BernieDaGoat  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 9557 9 K  Slaps total: 5800 5 K
Nov 22 - NYTs Goes after Tulsi for her clothes.....

They really hate Tulsi.

What has happened to the white pantsuit? Watching the Democratic debate held in Atlanta on Wednesday night, it was one of the questions that stuck with me. It’s not as important as Medicare for All, obviously, or economic disparity. But given the role white pantsuits have played in the national conversation for the last three years, it’s not immaterial. (No pun intended.)

It was only a mere presidential election cycle ago, after all, that the white suit was thrust into the limelight as a symbol of so much: women’s advancement and opportunity, and the possibility of change. That it became not an item of clothing but a placeholder in a continuum that began with the suffragists, continued through Geraldine Ferraro, and resonated today. That it sparked mountains of text and tweets and entire Facebook groups dedicated to celebrating its meaning and urging adoption — and then designating it the outfit of the opposition.

That Hillary Clinton made it a cause célèbre, #WearWhiteToVote made it a hashtag, Melania Trump made it a pointed subject of speculation, and the women of the 116th Congress made it a gauntlet.Now Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, underdog presidential candidate, has, by all indications, made it her uniform. And yet no one really seems to care.

Wednesday evening marked the third time Ms. Gabbard appeared in a white pantsuit during a debate.
Though she wore a red jacket for her initial appearance, back in June, by late July she had changed to head-to-toe white (not ivory, not cream), a look she repeated in October — she didn’t make the September debate, to her very vocal chagrin — and again this week. She is also pictured in white, looking soulfully into the future, on the home page of her official campaign website. When she filed her official declaration of candidacy in New Hampshire, she was wearing a white jacket and shirt.

That kind of repetition, especially during events geared toward the public eye, does not happen by accident. There’s a reason she is opting for the imagery; a calculation behind the choice.

She should, by all counts, be seen as the standard-bearer of the tradition, so recently embraced by so many women. Yet reaction has been muted at best; more along the lines of “Hey, she looks really good in white,” than “our champion!”

Do we so quickly forget? Or is something else going on?

It’s not Ms. Gabbard’s relatively small slice of support in a large field; both Andrew Yang and Tom Steyer, with similar polling numbers, have managed to parlay visual symbols (math buttons and tartan ties, respectively) into an easy form of engagement and a*sociative shorthand.

Part of the muted reaction probably has to do with the fact that Ms. Gabbard has engaged in a pretty public battle with Mrs. Clinton, calling her “queen of the warmongers” after Mrs. Clinton suggested Ms. Gabbard was the favorite Democratic candidate of the Russians.

It may also have to do with the fact that instead of a single female candidate on the stage, there are still four (plus Marianne Williamson), making the imagery of a woman standing in white less loaded with portent.

But it most probably also has to do with the fact that Ms. Gabbard herself doesn’t seem particularly interested in connecting with the suffragists, but rather is using her white suits to tap into another tradition, latent in the public memory: the mythical white knight, riding in to save us all from yet another “regime change war.”

Her white suits are not the white suits of Ms. Clinton, nor even the white of Ms. Williamson, whose early appearances in the shade often seemed tied to her wellness gospel and ideas of renewal and rebirth. Rather, they are the white of avenging angels and flaming swords, of somewhat combative righteousness (also cult leaders). And that kind of a*sociation, though it can be weirdly compelling, is also not really community building. It sets someone apart, rather than joining others together. It has connotations of the fringe, rather than the center.

And it is a reminder that clothes, especially when it comes to the optics of politics during an era of the ubiquitous screenshot, are only as meaningful as the content that fills them.
This is like #tangate.
visit this link https://www.nytimes.com/2 .. -pantsuit.html

best
worst
28 comments

3 weeks ago '17        #2
Ymmot 
space
space
space
Props total: 38989 38 K  Slaps total: 7701 7 K
Just like they did with Hillary. How dare they

3 weeks ago '19        #3
Big Tymerz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
space
space
Props total: 30123 30 K  Slaps total: 20987 20 K
#Tulsi2020

Last edited by Big Tymerz; 11-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Old

3 weeks ago '07        #4
MELODY 
space
space
Props total: 7712 7 K  Slaps total: 10396 10 K

+2   

3 weeks ago '07        #5
MELODY 
space
space
Props total: 7712 7 K  Slaps total: 10396 10 K

+11   

3 weeks ago '18        #6
niruggg 
space
space
Props total: 30863 30 K  Slaps total: 3184 3 K
slapped for no pic
+11   

3 weeks ago '17        #7
quarter  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 8531 8 K  Slaps total: 6952 6 K
 MELODY said

Love how she ruined Koalas chances with facts lol

3 weeks ago '18        #8
BernieDaGoat  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
space
space
 Ymmot said
Just like they did with Hillary. How dare they
How about reading the article for a change.

This is not like they did with Hil...

Show the recipets

3 weeks ago '16        #9
Funke 
space
space
Props total: 5207 5 K  Slaps total: 916 916
Tulsi can get wifed off top. Need a vet like her to protect you too..
+6   

3 weeks ago '06        #10
WigzBeenSplit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 4366 4 K  Slaps total: 1854 1 K
 niruggg said
slapped for no pic
I expected pix too

@
+1   

3 weeks ago '16        #11
Blackout75 
space
space
space
Props total: 477 477  Slaps total: 38 38
So much "Political journalism" these days is just fu*king trash. ESPECIALLY when there are elections upcoming. So many bloggers pretending to be journalists, ignoring the actual politics and making sh*t up about candidates they don't like. I mean, that parts not new, but it seems like it's way easier now for these d*ckheads to pretend to be actual journalists so they can report their opinions instead of facts. And people eat this sh*t up instead of demanding objective articles about policies and sh*t. Man, we're fu*ked
+1   

3 weeks ago '12        #12
Di Warlord 
space
space
Props total: 19012 19 K  Slaps total: 1071 1 K
 MELODY said

+7   

3 weeks ago '15        #13
AlmightySae 
space
space
Props total: 2412 2 K  Slaps total: 497 497
She can get the pipe
+3   

3 weeks ago '10        #14
Bandito 
space
space
Props total: 33569 33 K  Slaps total: 4610 4 K
 Blackout75 said
So much "Political journalism" these days is just fu*king trash. ESPECIALLY when there are elections upcoming. So many bloggers pretending to be journalists, ignoring the actual politics and making sh*t up about candidates they don't like. I mean, that parts not new, but it seems like it's way easier now for these d*ckheads to pretend to be actual journalists so they can report their opinions instead of facts. And people eat this sh*t up instead of demanding objective articles about policies and sh*t. Man, we're fu*ked
That article is literally from the Style section of the New York Times. I don't think many people look there for political journalism.
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #15
Ymmot 
space
space
space
Props total: 38989 38 K  Slaps total: 7701 7 K
 Bandito said
That article is literally from the Style section of the New York Times. I don't think many people look there for political journalism.
Lmao
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #16
Hakim Cobain 
space
space
Props total: 16783 16 K  Slaps total: 3281 3 K
 BernieDaGoat said
They really hate Tulsi.

This is like #tangate.
@ can you move this to the gear section? This article comes from the New York Times Style section, not their news section.

And please IP ban OP.

3 weeks ago '18        #17
space
space
 Bandito said
SO what? Did u read the article it clearly talks about politics...

Not to mention it was on the cover page. Do you know how web pages work?

3 weeks ago '04        #18
abacabb 
space
space
Props total: 13561 13 K  Slaps total: 3566 3 K

+4   

3 weeks ago '12        #19
Ragobeer 
space
space
space
Props total: 5969 5 K  Slaps total: 531 531
Aint no body give a fu*k about the New York Times or their f*g**t writers
+1   

3 weeks ago '10        #20
Bandito 
space
space
Props total: 33569 33 K  Slaps total: 4610 4 K
 BernieDaGoat said
SO what? Did u read the article it clearly talks about politics...

Not to mention it was on the cover page. Do you know how web pages work?
The style section writer talked about politics. Music writers and people that review movies often mention politics in their writing too.

I do have questions. What am I supposed to do now that I know this person's opinion of Gabbard's wardrobe. What exactly am I supposed to do with that information?

My main issue with this is you post an opinion piece and your thread title is "NYTs Goes after Tulsi for her clothes....."

I did a quick search and found a bunch of pro-Gabbard op-eds from the New York Times.

That is why those memes of contradicting op-eds from the same source next to each other are a joke themselves.

So, in my opinion, the New York Times is pretty neutral towards her. Depending on who contributes to their opinion section that day.
+4   

3 weeks ago '09        #21
The Bully  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 108361 108 K  Slaps total: 24050 24 K
I want to eat Tulsi out while she gives a speech
+1   

3 weeks ago '12        #22
Gramz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
Props total: 35476 35 K  Slaps total: 1666 1 K
Loved watching Tulsi verbally smack the smugness off Mayor Pete's face

3 weeks ago '18        #23
space
space
 Bandito said
The style section writer talked about politics. Music writers and people that review movies often mention politics in their writing too.

I do have questions. What am I supposed to do now that I know this person's opinion of Gabbard's wardrobe. What exactly am I supposed to do with that information?

My main issue with this is you post an opinion piece and your thread title is "NYTs Goes after Tulsi for her clothes....."

I did a quick search and found a bunch of pro-Gabbard op-eds from the New York Times.

That is why those memes of contradicting op-eds from the same source next to each other are a joke themselves.

So, in my opinion, the New York Times is pretty neutral towards her. Depending on who contributes to their opinion section that day.
What? Who said you have to do something.

Given the title what were u expecting?

This article was written by a member of NYT's staff.

Yeah everyone talks about politics now, again whats your point? No1 forces you to read it. Sports reporters talk about it and yall have no problem with that.

Your complaints are nonsensical

3 weeks ago '07        #24
Ham Rove 
space
space
Props total: 36672 36 K  Slaps total: 1996 1 K
You can debate the merits of fashion reporting all you want, but that's what this is. The lady who.wrote this is a fashion writer. All her articles are about what some random politician is wearing. can't believe anyone actually reads this though

Last edited by Ham Rove; 11-22-2019 at 04:21 PM..

3 weeks ago '11        #25
HIGH LVLD 
space
space
Props total: 20327 20 K  Slaps total: 1177 1 K
Look at em hating on they own for calling out they bullsh*t.

Them mothafu*kas cant stand when facts is dropped about them.

Buhh buhh she a russian bot
Buhhh buhh she from 4chan sent from putin
Buhh buhh she secretly work for trump

Old nasty wrinkled up corrupt hilary and her down syndome faced daughter hating cause she a fresh face amongst all them worn out garbage a*s liberal bi*ches.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-41online now  26
Juice wrld sold his soul to the devil (with proof)
193 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+19online now  19
Video inside Tow Truck Driver Making a Car Repo Goes Wrong in Memphis
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  17
Next Gen Launch Line-Up
44 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
+26online now  11
audio inside Nick Cannon - The Invitation (Response to Eminem)
228 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy