Nov 20 - Human patient put in suspended animation for the first time

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '19        #1
2117 page views
32 comments

l3altimore 7 
space
space
Props total: 3941 3 K  Slaps total: 277 277
Nov 20 - Human patient put in suspended animation for the first time

Scientists (and sci-fi fans) have been talking about suspended animation for years. The idea that the functions of the human body can somehow be put on "pause" while life-saving medical procedures are performed (or a person is sent into space, a la Alien) has long seemed untenable -- until now. According to New Scientist, doctors have successfully placed humans in suspended animation for the first time, in a trial that could have an enormous influence on the future of emergency room surgery.

The technique is officially called "emergency preservation and resuscitation" (EPR) and is being tested at the University of Maryland Medical Center on patients that arrive with acute trauma, such as a stab wound or gunshot. Given the nature of their injuries, these patients would normally have a survival rate of less than five percent.

With EPR, the patient is cooled rapidly by replacing their blood with ice-cold saline -- the heart stops beating and brain activity almost completely stops. At normal body temperatures, cells need a constant supply of oxygen to remain alive, but the cold temperature slows or stops the chemical reactions in cells, which need less oxygen as a result. The human brain can survive for around five minutes without oxygen before damage occurs, but through EPR a surgical team has two hours to work on the patient's injuries before they're warmed up and their heart is restarted.

According to Samuel Tisherman, part of the team at the Baltimore facility, full results of the trial are expected to be announced by the end of 2020 -- there are still factors to work through. While Tisherman's team has put a cool limit of two hours on a human body, it's not entirely clear exactly how long a person could remain in suspended animation without suffering any physical side effects. Nonetheless, Tisherman says the team is learning a lot as it moves forward with the trial. "I want to make clear that we're not trying to send people off to Saturn," he said. "We're trying to buy ourselves more time to save lives."

visit this link https://www.engadget.com/ .. he-first-time/
+18   

best
worst
32 comments

3 weeks ago '13        #2
DiegoRivera  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 35456 35 K  Slaps total: 2876 2 K
+11   

3 weeks ago '05        #3
kriskross00 
space
space
Props total: 56703 56 K  Slaps total: 7069 7 K
 DiegoRivera said
What's your boggle?
+6   

3 weeks ago '07        #4
Cambury 
space
space
space
Props total: 18039 18 K  Slaps total: 8219 8 K
My question is what does the patient feel like during this procedure. Is it a dream or is it nothing and then you wake....
+9   

3 weeks ago '13        #5
DiegoRivera  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 35456 35 K  Slaps total: 2876 2 K
 Cambury said
My question is what does the patient feel like during this procedure. Is it a dream or is it nothing and then you wake....
And they replace all your blood, they're saying?? I wonder what that feels like as you drift off. Other than that it's gotta be like sleep, right? Or more than that, like death. No blood, no brain activity, no conciousness at all.

Really makes you wonder what constitues conciousness if they can just bring you back like that. Your life, memories, ticks, personality, nuances, sense of self...are they all just physical/chemical imprints in the brain?
+21   

3 weeks ago '15        #6
naledgestate 
space
space
Props total: 8059 8 K  Slaps total: 467 467
You put this together with space travel.... you're looking at the future.

Traveling to the outer solar system which could take a decade, would still take a decade but the occupants wouldnt age much.

Last edited by naledgestate; 11-20-2019 at 08:16 PM..
+11   

3 weeks ago '19        #7
GDubs 
space
space
Props total: 2151 2 K  Slaps total: 550 550
How long until we can live forever BX scientists?
+2   

3 weeks ago '19        #8
GDubs 
space
space
Props total: 2151 2 K  Slaps total: 550 550
 naledgestate said
+1   

3 weeks ago '08        #9
mr.mdz 
space
space
space
Props total: 4032 4 K  Slaps total: 1074 1 K
 DiegoRivera said
And they replace all your blood, they're saying?? I wonder what that feels like as you drift off. Other than that it's gotta be like sleep, right? Or more than that, like death. No blood, no brain activity, no conciousness at all.

Really makes you wonder what constitues conciousness if they can just bring you back like that. Your life, memories, ticks, personality, nuances, sense of self...are they all just physical/chemical imprints in the brain?
Consciousness isn't necessarily related to the brain.

All of your cells will vibrate at a much lower rate. I can imagine the patient feels euphoria and their consciousness will go to another dimension.
+6   

3 weeks ago '15        #10
naledgestate 
space
space
Props total: 8059 8 K  Slaps total: 467 467
 GDubs said
You asking space is fake n*ggas?

+2   

3 weeks ago '18        #11
niruggg 
space
space
Props total: 30891 30 K  Slaps total: 3187 3 K
 Cambury said
I think nothing

this had its genesis in Europe I think with people falling through ice on not fully frozen lakes and falling into freezing waters I think they found that the lower the temperature the high the survival rate

3 weeks ago '17        #12
lucifershammer 
space
space
Props total: 34485 34 K  Slaps total: 3619 3 K
 GDubs said
When a human conscious can be upload into the computer

Biological death is certain and unpreventable
+9   

3 weeks ago '19        #13
l3altimore 7  OP
space
space
Props total: 3941 3 K  Slaps total: 277 277

+8   

3 weeks ago '04        #14
qutaboi225  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 20172 20 K  Slaps total: 2596 2 K
Just upload my d*ck into @ mama so I could fu*k her even AFTER she dead
+5   

3 weeks ago '18        #15
Rasheed Walrus 
space
space
Props total: 7003 7 K  Slaps total: 513 513
I shouldn't have read this while I'm high. I keep visualizing surgeons cutting through my body.
+4   

3 weeks ago '05        #16
Soprano ATL 
space
space
Props total: 6491 6 K  Slaps total: 787 787
 naledgestate said

Traveling to the outer solar system which could take a decade, would still take a decade but the occupants wouldnt age much.
Who gonna wake em up and restart the heart

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '10        #17
Frasier  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 12912 12 K  Slaps total: 13799 13 K
 qutaboi225 said
Just upload my d*ck into @ mama so I could fu*k her even AFTER she dead
Why tho?

You’re talking about raping my dead mother? Odd flex.

3 weeks ago '18        #18
Blaffy 
space
space
Props total: 63725 63 K  Slaps total: 5507 5 K

+5   

3 weeks ago '16        #19
mobchip 
space
space
Props total: 6776 6 K  Slaps total: 1054 1 K
 lucifershammer said
When a human conscious can be upload into the computer

Biological death is certain and unpreventable
I want to think that will be possible. The internet is I think available in space, I don't know about deep space. But I think one day humans will be able to jump into space and throughout the world in hyper speed through the Internet. Our bodies will die, but it would be kind of weird of still being around and being able to talk to people and traveling the universe.
+1   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #20
NinetyThree94  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
Props total: 16549 16 K  Slaps total: 34241 34 K
 DiegoRivera said

+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #21
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 73953 73 K  Slaps total: 33347 33 K
 Blaffy said

Is this real
+3   

3 weeks ago '14        #22
titans7 
space
space
Props total: 32512 32 K  Slaps total: 5641 5 K
It should be used for life saving surgeries but rich people will use it to get all of their plastic surgeries at one time like a car tune up. Nancy Pelosi tight face, kim Kardashian overhaul, nose job, lil kim and Char Kelly tha Fraud skin bleaching, boob job, butt job, ab sculpting, v*gina tightening, g spot injection,hairline plugs, ibaka enlargement no homo whatever you need done instead of getting it done over the course of a few years it will just be done at one time with multiple doctors. Go in the morning looking like Precious Sibide come out at night looking like a young Kenya Moore.
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #23
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 7089 7 K  Slaps total: 1076 1 K

+1   

3 weeks ago '09        #24
Jersey856 
space
space
space
Props total: 401 401  Slaps total: 101 101
 DiegoRivera said

It's been proven that consciousness doesn't come from the brain. Consciousness is seperate

3 weeks ago '13        #25
SimpinAintEz 
space
space
Props total: 30007 30 K  Slaps total: 5708 5 K
 Cambury said
Not hard to figure out. Per the video, you’re essentially dead and non-functional. You are paused, hence the word “suspended”. If your brain is not functioning, you’re not dreaming about anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-33online now  36
Video inside Lizzo the rapper has a mental breakdown after internet backlash
292 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+127online now  28
Image(s) inside Most iconic timberlands are about to release
136 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+54online now  26
Patrice O'Neal Being a Human In A Room Full Of Robots
59 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  13
Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker leaks have hit the web (Rey is...... *SPOILER*)
53 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy