Nov 19 - New Silicon Valley Incel trend: Dopamine Fasting

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '04        #1
2380 page views
40 comments

Exs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 46798 46 K  Slaps total: 11354 11 K
Nov 19 - New Silicon Valley Incel trend: Dopamine Fasting

Dopamine fasting" may be Silicon Valley's latest wellness trend but does this sciency-sounding fad actually have evidence to back it up?

During a so-called dopamine fast, extreme practitioners abstain from any experience that brings them pleasure, including but not limited to s*x, food, exercise, social media, video games and talking, according to Vox. Some people go so far as to avoid making eye contact, chatting with friends or even performing moderately-fast movements, all in an effort to avoid stimulation, the New York Times reported.

By taking a break from sins and small pleasures, fasters attempt to "reset" the brain's reward system, a network wired, in part, by a chemical called dopamine. After a fast, they report feeling more focused and finding more joy in the activities they'd avoided, according to Business Insider.

Despite its supposed benefits and good intentions, dopamine fasting has stirred up controversy.

Dr. Cameron Sepah, a psychiatrist who helped popularize dopamine fasting, has argued that some people have pushed the practice to an unfounded extreme and attracted attention from "clickbait journalists" bent on "mocking Silicon Valley." Meanwhile, some recent news articles have argued that the trend oversimplifies the role of dopamine in the brain to the point of being inaccurate.

First of all, what does dopamine do?
First and foremost, dopamine is a neurotransmitter a chemical passed between neurons like hand-written notes between schoolchildren. Neighboring neurons pass these "notes" through intricate networks in the brain. By exchanging neurotransmitters, brain cells work together to process information and direct behavior, according to BrainFacts.org. Many brain networks rely on dopamine to function properly, including a collection of brain structures seated in the center of the organ known as the "mesolimbic reward pathway." This evolutionarily ancient pathway helps control our response to rewards, like food, s*x, and drugs, according to the Incahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.. From this pathway, dopamine ventures out to other brain regions that shape our memory, expectations, emotions and reactions about rewards.

Although often described as a "feel-good" chemical, dopamine doesn't work by triggering feelings of pleasure and happiness in the brain's reward center, Michael Treadway, a clinical psychologist and neuroscientist at Emory University, told Live Science.

"This is still hotly debated but I think most dopamine researchers today would agree that dopamine is not about pleasure," Treadway said. Instead, dopamine may be more about motivation, the willingness to expend effort to reach goals and gain rewards, he said. But that said, the chemical serves many functions in the brain.

The exact action of dopamine depends on which neurons send and receive the chemical, and where those cells sit in the brain. But generally speaking, dopamine acts as a kind of "switchboard" that tunes how different brain areas handle incoming information, Treadway said. The chemical helps direct our attention, budget our energy levels and literally move our bodies through space.

It's not actually possible to completely "fast" or eliminate dopamine from your body with lifestyle changes, which is lucky because doing so would likely have serious consequences.

"Obviously, if you were actually to fast from dopamine it would probably be fatal," he added.

No one is actually fasting from dopamine

It's important to note that, despite the name, the original idea behind dopamine fasting is not to literally lower dopamine levels.

"The goal is not to reduce dopamine or elicit functional brain changes," Sepah, who is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco, told Live Science in an email. Instead, dopamine fasting encourages people to reduce the "time spent on problematic behavior," he said.

Still, research shows there is a connection between dopamine and problematic behavior, such as drug abuse.

When the brain picks up clues that it may soon receive a reward whether that reward be food, illicit drugs or likes on social media a flash of dopamine zaps the reward pathway, according to Slate. Another hit of dopamine comes with the reward itself. Addictive substances and behaviors repeatedly bombard the reward pathway with huge surges of dopamine, and over time, the brain morphs in response.

"When we image [drug users'] brains, we find that in the immediate aftermath of using they actually have less dopamine and fewer dopamine receptors than those who don't use drugs," said Dr. Anna Lembke, an a*sociate professor and medical director of addiction medicine at Stanford University.

All addictive drugs cause dopamine levels to spike in one way or another, Lembke said, and in response, the brain weakens or eliminates the receptors built to respond to the chemical. That means drug users need more of the substance to elicit the same surge of dopamine, and that other rewards, like food and social interaction, steadily lose their appeal.

By any other name

As a clinician, Lembke recommends that her patients with drug addictions enter a "period of abstinence" in order to reset the brain's reward system. By its rpurest definition, a period of abstinence is not unlike a dopamine fast, in which people abstain from problematic behaviors.

"I call them detox periods," Dr. David Greenfield, an a*sistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, told Live Science. "We go through a period where we allow those receptors to calm down."

Greenfield treats a destructive behavior that may impact the Silicon Valley folks drawn to dopamine fasting: compulsive internet and technology use. Dopamine surges in the brain's reward system each time we so much as glance at a smartphone or laptop screen, he said, and rewarding notifications and media pop up unpredictably whenever we go online. People grow addicted to devices, just as they do to drugs, Greenfield said. Lembke said she has witnessed the phenomenon, too.

"People are coming into my clinic with severe, pathological, compulsive use of these interfaces," she said. Although internet and video-game addictions have yet to be recognized as true disorders in the bible of mental health disorders, the DSM-5, experts recognize that both substance use and excessive screen time wreak similar havoc in the brain. And just like drug addiction, the goal of treatment "is to detox from the most problematic sites and content," Greenfield wrote in a 2018 article on internet and video game addiction.

visit this link https://www.livescience.c .. mpaign=dlvr.it
+3   

best
worst
40 comments

3 weeks ago '08        #2
cohs 
space
space
space
Props total: 18644 18 K  Slaps total: 1217 1 K
Sounds good in passing, but they are going to the extreme. No fast movement? And I’m sure they weren’t making eye contact anyway.
+16   

3 weeks ago '18        #3
LuxuriousGreen 
space
space
Props total: 6011 6 K  Slaps total: 1045 1 K
FOH
+4   

3 weeks ago '19        #4
PolloFrito 
space
space
Props total: 533 533  Slaps total: 52 52
So Buddhism.

Nice.
+24   

3 weeks ago '14        #5
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 99500 99 K  Slaps total: 24480 24 K
no fap level 1000
+12   

3 weeks ago '17        #6
lucifershammer 
space
space
Props total: 34446 34 K  Slaps total: 3603 3 K
Mass suicide of nerds coming

Watch

+9   

3 weeks ago '04        #7
mr_underground|m  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 42587 42 K  Slaps total: 3499 3 K
 PolloFrito said
So Buddhism.

Nice.
lol yep. this "new" trend sounds really familiar...

+8   

3 weeks ago '19        #8
Jadedkiss 
space
space
space
Props total: 2436 2 K  Slaps total: 133 133

+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #9
Adwerdz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 51288 51 K  Slaps total: 9893 9 K
Prison/solitary confinement does the same
+8   

3 weeks ago '04        #10
skillahmang 
space
space
Props total: 26796 26 K  Slaps total: 6326 6 K
Sounds Genius.

Were all addicted to Dopamine.
+10   

3 weeks ago '05        #11
projectd06 
space
space
Props total: 15967 15 K  Slaps total: 4519 4 K
Lmao it's a happyness fast?
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #12
nobody 
space
space
Props total: 3151 3 K  Slaps total: 395 395
Dopamine is responsible for the feeling you get after busting a huge nut. Just for context.
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #13
Syd 
space
space
space
Props total: 4220 4 K  Slaps total: 541 541
Am I beatin my meat cause I’m horny or I’m depressed and I just need a dopamine hit?

+19   

3 weeks ago '04        #14
datboy|e 
space
space
Props total: 7946 7 K  Slaps total: 2905 2 K
These mfers crazy
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #15
Holdino  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 21618 21 K  Slaps total: 3170 3 K
If there was something that could just put me to sleep..I'd do it, but just sitting idle doing nothing...I would lose my sh*t with Olympic speed
+2   

3 weeks ago '17        #16
lucifershammer 
space
space
Props total: 34446 34 K  Slaps total: 3603 3 K
 nobody said
Dopamine is responsible for the feeling you get after busting a huge nut. Just for context.
Or hit a line of coke

3 weeks ago '16        #17
T 4D 
space
space
Props total: 778 778  Slaps total: 39 39
The research might uncover benefits for addicts.......
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #18
Coffee 
space
space
space
Props total: 15120 15 K  Slaps total: 4468 4 K

Asceticism isn't new.

Funny to watch morons rediscover basic ancient practices
+11   

3 weeks ago '07        #19
Jeet Kune Do 
space
space
Props total: 5679 5 K  Slaps total: 511 511
Sounds like some stupid sh*t

3 weeks ago '16        #20
BathWaterMelody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 40291 40 K  Slaps total: 5836 5 K
to clarify the practice, it's not really incel-like if the methods are voluntary.

jussayin
+3   

3 weeks ago '13        #21
FNLN5150 
space
space
Props total: 12410 12 K  Slaps total: 1191 1 K
 Syd said
Am I beatin my meat cause Im horny or Im depressed and I just need a dopamine hit?

idk, but get off bx doin that sh*t...

3 weeks ago '04        #22
xbossxplayax 
space
space
Props total: 5902 5 K  Slaps total: 1426 1 K
aint sh!t new under the sun. i wish i had the luxury of just sitting around and dibble and dabble in various ...practices

"why white folks focus on dogs and yoga
while people on the low end trying to ball and get over"
+2   

3 weeks ago '09        #23
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 7083 7 K  Slaps total: 1658 1 K
sh*t I dopamine fasted for almost 2 years working in fast food and factories no thanks
+2   

3 weeks ago '18        #24
PAPLE 
space
space
Props total: 12057 12 K  Slaps total: 2039 2 K
It's daughters out here right now sucking d*ck for some Dopamine man
+1   

3 weeks ago '13        #25
jjwms33 
space
space
space
Props total: 2305 2 K  Slaps total: 561 561
 lucifershammer said
Mass suicide of nerds coming

Watch

Ignorant...
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-38online now  115
Juice wrld sold his soul to the devil (with proof)
178 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+43online now  46
She Crushed My Universe 😢
84 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+28online now  38
Video inside Alot of these big time youtubers gonna have to get jobs starting Dec 10th
118 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+129online now  14
Image(s) inside Oh What a Time.......To be hustler (IT Field)
160 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy