Nov 19 - 2 Homeless Moms Just Moved Into an Investor-Owned Property to Protest Rent Crisis

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

3 weeks ago '06        #1
1399 page views
49 comments

RAZAH CUTS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
space
space
Props total: 47501 47 K  Slaps total: 7242 7 K
Nov 19 - 2 Homeless Moms Just Moved Into an Investor-Owned Property to Protest Rent Crisis

Two homeless mothers took over a vacant, investor-owned home in Oakland, California, on Monday to protest a rental crisis that had forced them to live outdoors while they work, go to school, and care for their children.

The women, 34-year-old Dominique Walker and 41-year-old Sameerah Karim, moved into the vacant property with help from community activists, according to the local Mercury News. Both women are part of a collective called Moms 4 Housing, and are living in the house — which has water and electricity — until police force them out. Activists and volunteers say they’re standing by, ready to protect them, if that happens. Walker is a mother to a 1-year-old and 4-year-old, and brought her children with her. She told the Mercury News she’s been homeless since April, after fleeing a domestic violence situation. Karim, who has an adult son, hasn’t had stable housing for five years and is currently trying to earn a nursing degree while working three jobs.

The home is owned by Wedgewood, a company that buys and flips distressed properties, according to KNTV, the Bay Area NBC affiliate. And the moms hope Wedgewood will take notice of just how difficult it is to find a home for a working, single mother, and offer to sell the property to them at an affordable price.

“Housing is a human right,” Walker told the Mercury News. “And today, I’m using that right.”

It's not clear what legal consequences the women might face.

Average rents in Oakland have soared more than 50% since 2012, with the average one-bedroom coming in at about $2,450 a month. That’s while wages have remained relatively stagnant and the population has boomed, thanks to the fast-growing tech sector that’s planted itself in the Bay Area and displaced low-income people in the process. Meanwhile, speculative investors have cashed in by snapping up properties and sitting on them until the value increases enough to make a lucrative sale. There are nearly 4,400 such vacant parcels in Oakland right now, according to the Mercury News.

Of course, that sort of economic climate puts anyone but the very wealthy and secure at risk of homelessness. But female renters — and black women most of all — are at an even higher risk of being evicted by their landlords. Amid the housing crisis, Oakland has seen its homeless population swell by 47% in just two years, to about 4,071 people. The vast majority of those people are longtime residents of Oakland, and most are black. About 40% are women, according to county data.

About a dozen of those women had previously created their own tent encampment on city-owned land, spearheaded by a woman who’d been homeless and without shelter for nearly a year while caring for her daughter. The women considered the encampment vital because they said it protected them from a*sault. However, the city evicted that encampment in December of last year. The city said it had offered them shelter, but women claimed the shelter was inadequate because they couldn’t stay there while working night jobs or caring for young children.

Monday’s protest in Oakland also isn’t the first time homeless people have protested inadequate shelter and unaffordable rent by overtaking vacant properties. In the late ‘80s, amid steep federal cuts to affordable housing programs, homeless advocates repeatedly took over vacant properties to bring awareness to the problem.

visit this link https://www.vice.com/en_u .. ds-rent-crisis
+4   

best
worst
49 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #2
Johnnytusanmi  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 11626 11 K  Slaps total: 5473 5 K
So instead of going at the goverment official you elected who are true blue and compassionate you're trying to force someone to sell you there home for what you believe is affordable. I swear San Francisco is full of retards you leaders are doing nothing for you but you're mad at everyone else. If the housing crisis is so bad limit outside investors. Limit companies who buy and flip homes, get rid of air bnb and creat blocks of where homes have to be residential. Create a rental cap for certain neighborhoods. But instead of doing that all you have to scream is gay rights and equality and you're a super hero.

3 weeks ago '05        #3
YoungHope 
space
space
Props total: 3337 3 K  Slaps total: 376 376
I thought housing should be considered a human right until I saw Hoarders: Buried Alive

+4   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #4
space
space
space
 The Dark Side said
anybody who is too stupid to tell that this f*g**t is russian scum is not going to participate in the revolution nor are you going to receive any reparations when it comes time to hand out what we took from the slavs.
Yea I'm Russian scum because I said San Fran needs to address the housing crisis and homelessness in the city, you exposed me. Guess I'll go back to mother Russia now

+8   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '10        #5
Frasier  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 12913 12 K  Slaps total: 13800 13 K
Housing isn't a "human right"

But props to them for finding shelter, and taking advantage of the vacancy!

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #6
space
space
space
 Frasier said
Housing isn't a "human right"

But props to them for finding shelter, and taking advantage of the vacancy!
But why blame the business and not the politicians who allow this to happen?
+9   

3 weeks ago '14        #7
OCT DION 
space
space
Props total: 22118 22 K  Slaps total: 2406 2 K
 The Dark Side said
@ @ @ @ @

all added to the list
List of what
+2   

3 weeks ago '10        #8
DATKIDD121  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 21896 21 K  Slaps total: 8830 8 K
Weirdo a*s n*ggas get a life
+3   

3 weeks ago '10        #9
t from the 617 
space
space
Props total: 15796 15 K  Slaps total: 540 540
 The Dark Side said
shut the fu*k up f*g**t
had to throw this on google translate but
+1   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '19        #10
93NinetyFour  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 3244 3 K  Slaps total: 4558 4 K
What do you expect from 2 women named Dominique and Sameerah?

3 weeks ago '14        #11
OCT DION 
space
space
Props total: 22118 22 K  Slaps total: 2406 2 K
 The Dark Side said
shut the fu*k up f*g**t

n*gga if you don't get your paranoid schizophrenic a*s on somewhere
+2   

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '18        #12
Eyesofchaos 
space
space
Props total: 3693 3 K  Slaps total: 2547 2 K
 The Dark Side said
@ i smell you too f*g**t
Yo @ tell @ to stop tryin too hard from his sh*t alt account like a f*g**t and a half that he is.

3 weeks ago '19        #13
PolloFrito 
space
space
Props total: 591 591  Slaps total: 53 53
Pass an ordinance making it illegal to own vacant properties. Supply will open up and rents will go down. This is a failure of local government. This happened in Palo Alto IIRC.
+4   

3 weeks ago '05        #14
autoraptronix 
space
space
Props total: 2585 2 K  Slaps total: 2555 2 K
 The Dark Side said
autoraptronix said

List of confirmed russian trolls :

1. @Covfefe2020 <- SKULLfu*k PERMABANNED
2. @Master <- SKULLfu*k PERMABANNED

NEXT TO DIE ON THE sh*tLIST

3. @RelGthe0ry
4. @BOLO1
5. @flav
6. @Binary
7. @OWPE
8. @Bucks414
9. @Johnnytusanmi
10. @Qbert
11. @quarter
12. @Eyesofchaos
13. @Pythagoras
14. @Frasier
15. @HIGH LVLD
16. @death Tutorial
17. @J
18. @Steelgrip
19. autoraptronix

muerte a rusia

muerte a rusia
@ this troll edited one of my posts and replaced it with what looks like a hit list, that he's copying and pasting in different threads to spam and harass me and others.

Last edited by autoraptronix; 11-19-2019 at 02:58 PM..

3 weeks ago '11        #15
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 113784 113 K  Slaps total: 15979 15 K
why don't they just move to a more affordable city or state instead of becoming squatters?
+5   

3 weeks ago '16        #16
NYNY 
space
space
Props total: 9456 9 K  Slaps total: 2262 2 K
A lotta sh*thousin goin on in this thread

3 weeks ago '14        #17
Hoodsta1e11 
space
space
Props total: 5392 5 K  Slaps total: 912 912
 Sin said
why don't they just move to a more affordable city or state instead of becoming squatters?
Cuz they stupid I have a friend single mother of 2 kept saying it was too expensive in L.A. packed up moved to N.C. has a bigger place can take vacations ouuta state and no more complaints but stupid people wanna just sit around an complain sh*t Vegas is next door I rent a 6 bedroom with the fam for $1600 think I'm going back to Cali hell naw
+5   

3 weeks ago '15        #18
TheCompanyMan 
space
space
Props total: 5058 5 K  Slaps total: 722 722
 Johnnytusanmi said
So instead of going at the goverment official you elected who are true blue and compassionate you're trying to force someone to sell you there home for what you believe is affordable. I swear San Francisco is full of retards you leaders are doing nothing for you but you're mad at everyone else. If the housing crisis is so bad limit outside investors. Limit companies who buy and flip homes, get rid of air bnb and creat blocks of where homes have to be residential. Create a rental cap for certain neighborhoods. But instead of doing that all you have to scream is gay rights and equality and you're a super hero.
Right. We should all be Alabama.

3 weeks ago '05        #19
autoraptronix 
space
space
Props total: 2585 2 K  Slaps total: 2555 2 K
 The Dark Side said
Let the anger k*ll you because when the Hispanics come'a purgin' we will not be gentle
This account will be banned soon. And you're not even Hispanic

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #20
space
space
space
 TheCompanyMan said
Right. We should all be Alabama.
You're a moron trying to be slick. Different regions have different issue. If you're a party representing the poor and middle class and they're having a housing crisis but the rich are profiting why are you doing nothing to fix it?
+1   

3 weeks ago '11        #21
space
space
 Hoodsta1e11 said
Cuz they stupid I have a friend single mother of 2 kept saying it was too expensive in L.A. packed up moved to N.C. has a bigger place can take vacations ouuta state and no more complaints but stupid people wanna just sit around an complain sh*t Vegas is next door I rent a 6 bedroom with the fam for $1600 think I'm going back to Cali hell naw
The woman said she’s working 3 jobs going to school and homeless with 2 kids

That sounds like a horrible quality of life just to say you live in San Francisco

If i ever need a 2nd job I’m moving
+7   

3 weeks ago '10        #22
IITHUNDABR3ADII 
space
space
Props total: 1856 1 K  Slaps total: 441 441
 Sin said

Please no. Then they start voting to make the place they move to the same as the place they had to run from... Let them stay. Please.
+4   

3 weeks ago '11        #23
space
space
 IITHUNDABR3ADII said

Please no. Then they start voting to make the place they move to the same as the place they had to run from... Let them stay. Please.
hopefully they move and realize how things were run badly
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #24
FukHowYouFeel 
space
space
Props total: 22389 22 K  Slaps total: 4618 4 K
Well these wack job lefties think they’re entitled to healthcare, education, and food for free too...

What makes you think they don’t feel entitled to people’s property?
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #25
Tic Toc 
space
space
Props total: 5412 5 K  Slaps total: 486 486
 The Dark Side said
shut the fu*k up f*g**t
I had to translate it too

Sin said
The woman said she’s working 3 jobs going to school and homeless with 2 kids

That sounds like a horrible quality of life just to say you live in San Francisco

If i ever need a 2nd job I’m moving
I feel you on that one bruh

FukHowYouFeel said
Well these wack job lefties think they’re entitled to healthcare, education, and food for free too...

What makes you think they don’t feel entitled to people’s property?
So people shouldn't have healthcare and an education?
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+57online now  38
Patrice O'Neal Being a Human In A Room Full Of Robots
60 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+130online now  30
Image(s) inside Most iconic timberlands are about to release
140 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
-33online now  25
Video inside Lizzo the rapper has a mental breakdown after internet backlash
294 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  10
Image(s) inside Dec 10 - About 4,000 US truck drivers left jobless after firm declare..
76 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy