Sources: BioWare Plans A Complete Overhaul For Anthem

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '10        #1
1250 page views
22 comments

acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 9260 9 K  Slaps total: 2212 2 K
Sources: BioWare Plans A Complete Overhaul For Anthem

Recent silence and a couple of high-profile departures from BioWare have led fans and pundits to speculate that the studio has abandoned its most recent game, Anthem, but the opposite is true. For the last few months, BioWare and parent company EA have been planning an overhaul of the online shooter, according to three people familiar with those plans. Some call it “Anthem 2.0” or “Anthem Next.”

Many of the details are still in flux, and there’s no clear timeline for the Anthem Next project just yet. In fact, from what I’ve heard, the developers at BioWare haven’t even decided how it’ll be distributed. They’re still figuring out whether updates should be released all at once or over an extended period of time. Anthem could be overhauled through a series of updates, a la No Man’s Sky, it could get a game-changing expansion like Destiny’s critically acclaimed Taken King. Most of Anthem’s biggest systems—its mission structure, its loot, its world—will change drastically, but the developers have not yet figured out exactly what that will look like. They’re even considering releasing Anthem Next as a brand new game, although those who work on the project said that could take a lot of forms (and it’s unlikely they’ll charge full-price to Anthem players).

The one thing that’s for sure is that BioWare has not abandoned Anthem, despite recent breathless declarations that the game is dead. (There are few better ways to get views on YouTube than declaring Anthem to be dead.) Right now, dozens if not hundreds of developers at both of BioWare’s offices—in Austin, Texas and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada—are quietly working on plans to overhaul the game.

“We spent a few months just tearing it down and figuring out what needed to change fundamentally (a lot),” said one person on the project. “And we’ve been rebuilding for another few months since.”

A representative for EA declined to comment on this story.

Anthem, which launched in February 2019, was a big change for BioWare. The studio made its name on heavy role-playing games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, so fans were surprised when they saw BioWare trying to take on the likes of Destiny with an online shooter. Thanks to a messy development process plagued with technical issues, vision struggles, and many other stresses, the game flopped. It was buggy, tedious, and lacked the long-term appeal of its competitors.

How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong
It wasn’t even supposed to be called Anthem. Just days before the annual E3 convention in June of…

Read more
In the coming months, BioWare would delay Anthem’s endgame Cataclysm event, and on September 17, the developers said they were moving away from previously announced update plans in favor of long-term fixes. “We hear your concerns on core issues in Anthem and are acting on it,” wrote BioWare head of live services Chad Robertson in a blog post. “Those systems require a more thorough review and re-working versus quick fixes. We’ve got a team working on that now, and early results are promising.”

A month and a half later, Robertson had quit, following in the footsteps of lead producer Ben Irving, who’d left in August. The optics of these departures combined with EA’s vague messaging about Anthem’s future have led to non-stop speculation. “Bioware Ditches Anthem For Good,” proclaimed the YouTube news show Inside Gaming Daily on November 1. Around the same time, Forbes journalist Paul Tassi wrote: “I no longer really care about hearing about future plans for Anthem because I simply cannot imagine they will be anything beyond the bare minimum of keeping the game alive on life support, if that.”

But the reality is that BioWare is still putting a lot of work into Anthem. Details on Anthem Next are hazy, but among other things, the game’s developers plan to overhaul the loot, the quests, the social aspects of the game, the difficulty, the progression system, and the world map. One person on the project said they’re planning to change the game’s entire structure. Right now, the entire world of Anthem is set on a single contiguous map; separating the map into segments would allow developers to tweak and play around with those segments without worrying that they might create bugs and glitches all across the world. “We’re also looking at breaking up the need to go back to [Fort Tarsis] after every mission,” said the person, “and what a mission technically is. That was always a weird disconnect. [We’re] trying to integrate the disparate parts of the game together.”

A second person on the project told me yesterday they were still doing “lots of testing things out and experimentation but still nothing concrete.”

With so much in the air, it’s impossible to know what will and won’t change, but it’s safe to say that Anthem won’t suddenly transform into a brand new franchise—we still expect to see Freelancer mercenaries, Shaper artifacts, Javelin exosuits, and all of the other core ideas that the game has established. BioWare’s plan is to zoom out and overhaul the gameplay systems that most players have agreed don’t work. How and when this plan will come to fruition remains to be seen.

Anthem was developed by both of BioWare’s offices, but the plan had always been for BioWare Edmonton to pass the baton to BioWare Austin once the game went live. That has been happening slowly, sources said, which is exciting to members of the Austin team who think they can improve the game. (As detailed in our piece about the development of Anthem earlier this year, there were tensions between Edmonton and Austin all throughout the game’s production, many of them the result of disagreements on how to approach a live game.) As of right now, there are people in both studios working on Anthem Next.

BioWare, meanwhile, is still invested in role-playing games. In addition to the much-anticipated Dragon Age 4, which BioWare teased last year, a new Mass Effect game is in very early development at the Edmonton office under director Mike Gamble, a longtime BioWare producer.

visit this link https://kotaku.com/source .. hem-1839892415
+1   

best
worst
22 comments

3 weeks ago '07        #2
Jumbo Rondo 
space
space
Props total: 35588 35 K  Slaps total: 5085 5 K
Waste of time and money
+9   

3 weeks ago '09        #3
McmasterlockPt2 
space
space
Props total: 2372 2 K  Slaps total: 322 322
Well division, destiny and no man sky fixed their game so it’s possible.
+9   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
KURUPTION!!! 
space
space
Props total: 1555 1 K  Slaps total: 174 174
 McmasterlockPt2 said
Well division, destiny and no man sky fixed their game so it’s possible.
There's so many things wrong with Anthem though. It's going to be a huge undertaking. I really hope they get it right because the core gameplay was fun as hell, but this isn't The KOTOR & Mass Effect Bioware we're talking about. Hopefully whoever is helps them out on this does a better job than they have.
+5   

3 weeks ago '19        #5
Black Soap 2 
space
space
Props total: 1861 1 K  Slaps total: 825 825
fu*k Anthem
+2   

3 weeks ago '08        #6
J_Clarity13 
space
space
Props total: 7062 7 K  Slaps total: 715 715

3 weeks ago '04        #7
tnice 
space
space
space
Props total: 10371 10 K  Slaps total: 421 421
fu*k anthem resurrect Shepard

+6   

3 weeks ago '05        #8
DMT 
space
space
Props total: 770 770  Slaps total: 111 111
Too late, these n*ggas finessed me with this game. I stopped pre ordering games after what anthem did to my money.
+11   

3 weeks ago '04        #9
Da_realness 
space
space
Props total: 5714 5 K  Slaps total: 1143 1 K
fu*k bioware....
+1   

3 weeks ago '10        #10
acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
space
space
Props total: 9260 9 K  Slaps total: 2212 2 K
 Jumbo Rondo said
Waste of time and money
Agreed they trying to get dropped from EA I can see it
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #11
Cuttysark 
space
space
Props total: 17553 17 K  Slaps total: 1133 1 K
If they fix it I'll come back

I went back to the Division so why not

3 weeks ago '18        #12
MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
space
Props total: 6438 6 K  Slaps total: 6176 6 K
 KURUPTION!!! said
There's so many things wrong with Anthem though. It's going to be a huge undertaking. I really hope they get it right because the core gameplay was fun as hell, but this isn't The KOTOR & Mass Effect Bioware we're talking about. Hopefully whoever is helps them out on this does a better job than they have.
 Cuttysark said
If they fix it I'll come back

I went back to the Division so why not
Their will never be a game as illegitimate as Anthem. Outside of the bugs, the gameplay is awesome. But they need pvp.

You cant keep doing story mode expansions, it takes too long. If they had a bunch of pvp modes, that would keep people busy.

Look at all that sh*t GTA has online. Anthem could literally copy allot of that sh*t.
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #13
Cuttysark 
space
space
Props total: 17553 17 K  Slaps total: 1133 1 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
Their will never be a game as illegitimate as Anthem. Outside of the bugs, the gameplay is awesome. But they need pvp.

You cant keep doing story mode expansions, it takes too long. If they had a bunch of pvp modes, that would keep people busy.

Look at all that sh*t GTA has online. Anthem could literally copy allot of that sh*t.
I feel you but

If it's fun I'll play it

Game was incomplete but was fun to play imo

Last edited by Cuttysark; 11-19-2019 at 08:36 AM..
+3   

3 weeks ago '18        #14
space
space
space
 Cuttysark said
I feel you but

If it's fun I'll play it

Game was incomplete but uottbwas fun to play imo
I stopped playing because it wasnt nothing else to do. Then I realize that I hadnt beat the game yet. I had those "Locate the Tomb" missions, and was ignoring them. I havent even gotten to legendary weapons yet. So now that they bringing snow for the holidays, all that means is that Im gonna get a chance to finish the game during the snow!!

Its goin down on my end!!

3 weeks ago '06        #15
younghova2k3 
space
space
space
Props total: 626 626  Slaps total: 99 99
The hype is over for this game. In today's wold u have to deliver off rip.
There is no chance of a comeback they better off putting money in a new project
And off sourcing this bs of a game to India let them fu*k it up more

3 weeks ago '04        #16
goodi 
space
space
Props total: 2305 2 K  Slaps total: 593 593
remove the DUMB a*s story, add survivor or a raid mode, add a pvp mode TDM, the basketball sh*t from COD where you throw the ball in a hoop and k*ll ppl along the way, fu*k it add a battle royal mode too, Keep the shooting and flying mechanics, add more guns and bigger monsters, last but not least Fire everyone at Bioware and hire me with their salaries.
+1   

3 weeks ago '13        #17
Thongsong19 
space
space
Props total: 26669 26 K  Slaps total: 1043 1 K
i downloaded this to try it since i have ea access for a month

3 weeks ago '18        #18
space
space
space
 Thongsong19 said
i downloaded this to try it since i have ea access for a month
Game is fun as hell, aint nothing like it. But no pvp but excellent shooting, flying, and melee mechanics.
+2   

3 weeks ago '07        #19
Adam Is BeTTeR 
space
space
Props total: 5583 5 K  Slaps total: 817 817
Bring back ME fu*k that knockoff

3 weeks ago '14        #20
NewLegends 
space
space
Props total: 14188 14 K  Slaps total: 2169 2 K
EA is going to be the death of BioWare

And they need to do what they did last time sh*t went to hell, focus on not fu*king up Dragon Age so people respect them again

3 weeks ago '05        #21
Based_One 
space
space
Props total: 14728 14 K  Slaps total: 1179 1 K
All EA had to do is let these mofos make Kotor 3. I need a new single player Star Wars RPG damnit.
+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #22
sofreshgfx 
space
space
Props total: 151 151  Slaps total: 33 33
go the destiny 2 route sh*t im still playing in new light cant find a group for raids but sh*t still fun

2 weeks ago '17        #23
1Oh 
space
space
Props total: 23118 23 K  Slaps total: 939 939
Another $60 beta test

How many times has this happened already this generation?

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-37online now  103
Juice wrld sold his soul to the devil (with proof)
174 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+42online now  33
She Crushed My Universe 😢
83 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+27online now  26
Video inside Alot of these big time youtubers gonna have to get jobs starting Dec 10th
118 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+125online now  16
Image(s) inside Oh What a Time.......To be hustler (IT Field)
159 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy