Finally played Smash Ultimate (its pretty bad)

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

4 weeks ago '07        #1
1446 page views
39 comments

Wilder GOAT 
space
space
Props total: 4169 4 K  Slaps total: 1424 1 K
Finally played Smash Ultimate (its pretty bad)

Just want to share some thoughts on this..
Im a long time fan of Brawl and Melee,
im not a pro like the crazy dudes doing weird combos on youtube,
I sometimes watch videos, but know little about the culture..
I can beat any tough cpu challenge, hard classic without dying, etc.
So please hold the 'get good and stop complaing' this is more technical/feature related

This is a huge downgrade to the franchise, other than too many Japanese/Dracula characters I knew nothing really about, (and probably wont play as) there is far less content than expected.

If you see what Brawl/Wii added/enhanced from Melee/Gamecube, it sets the bar of whats expected for a new generation. (It's a lot to list, just google it if you have to)
This game is more of the same at best in terms of gameplay and even graphics..
This game practically takes away that amount of feature.

Just speedran Adventure, beat hella tough Legend challenges, couple nice online wins with lag, etc.
Main things wrong with this game:

1) For 'pick up and play' with friends, all the choose screens are hella annoying.
You pick your match settings first, if you want to change anything from items to stock you have to go back and save and name files, it takes way too much time. Its altogether pretty confusing with load times adding up as well.
On all the old games you could manage all these changes 10x faster on same screen no saving files/loading screens BS.

2) If you have to go back a screen or two, or three, (which you will have to frequently) you have to hold the B button down for like 3 seconds instead of just quickly tapping it. This is maddening, I would be amazed to find out you could change this setting. You can dust off and plug back in the Gamecube before you start a match to your liking.

3) Impossible to play on the joycon/handheld.
FOR SOME REASON they thought it was ok to completely MIRROR the right buttons ABXY, sure you can change them in controls but it still isn't right as in menus the AB buttons are the same (to choose everything, go back)and it just messes with your brain.
And after all the letters are engraved on there.
They know people want to play this primarily, and with gamecube controllers, they should just stick with the original controller design more instead of the literal OPPPOSITE.

4) There is no more target smash, still boring old homerun derby tho.
Also didn't even bother trying to create a stage.

5) Classic is half as short, the master hands and all the major bosses are twice as easy to beat.
HOWEVER there is no way to pick up and play against them.

6) Adventure is a poorly designed mess that appears as some SNES game. Some battles are actually pretty challenging and potentially replayable, but you cant replay them at all.
It would be fun to challenge friends to see if they could do them and see who can get what hi-score/time, but after completing Adventure you get NOTHING but the option to start over from scratch.
This is an easy concept you think they could just update overnight, but no.

7) Lack of any challenges to keep you motivated to maybe learn new characters or style. It's always better for a game to have endless challenges and rewards to track. At least all the characters were very easy to unlock.

8) The critical strike KO screen.. totally corny, I remember thinking "I hope you can turn that off' the first time I seen it in videos when the game first came out. It really magnifies the poor hit connection most of the time, winning or losing to a strike that is clearly out of range.

9) Online is a laggy mess, with no point of playing. Im sure it was just bots anyhow, would like to know if anyone takes online serious.

10) Just want to point out Brawl has the best official review scores, but it shouldnt even be close, however its known people at tournaments and stuff still prefer the even older games over these..

Didnt mean to really bash, but it was really surprising how disappointing this game was.. nothing 'Ultimate' at all.

hope someone that knows a lot about the game can shed some light on some of these problems of mine here..

best
worst
39 comments

4 weeks ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 43088 43 K  Slaps total: 10041 10 K
Typed all this just so to be wrong. BX a sad place
+13   

4 weeks ago '07        #3
Wilder GOAT  OP
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
Typed all this just so to be wrong. BX a sad place
and you typed that to say what?
how am I 'wrong?'
you sure aint making this sh*tty section any better
+1   

4 weeks ago '17        #4
space
space
 Wilder GOAT said
and you typed that to say what?
how am I 'wrong?'
you sure aint making this sh*tty section any better
Difference I typed one line, not a book.

This is the best f*ghting game of all time by any metric, get over it
+10   

4 weeks ago '07        #5
joshdogg26 
space
space
Props total: 18221 18 K  Slaps total: 2029 2 K
OP before posting this thread:

+6   

4 weeks ago '10        #6
pacman45 
space
space
Props total: 12607 12 K  Slaps total: 513 513
I dont know, Im still having fun with the game. Kinda all that matters to me.
+6   

4 weeks ago '15        #7
Lito Guapalot 
space
space
Props total: 17350 17 K  Slaps total: 260 260
Game dope to me. Something I turn on throughout the week and hand out and collect Ls for a hour or 2.

Honestly tho you should've copped around when it first dropped. We was running BX rooms for awhile and everybody was handing out fades
+5   

4 weeks ago '09        #8
colliay3 
space
space
Props total: 325 325  Slaps total: 44 44
I'm still having fun as well. I'm not huge into video games outside of Nintendo, so that's probably part of it. (Getting the PS5, for sure).

I stay online rather than in person just because the people I know aren't someone I'm trying to chill and game with. Lag can get annoying for sure, but if you have a wired connection (fu*k anyone who doesn't) you shouldn't experience it too much. And just get the GC controller with the adapter - easy fix for Joycon issues.

Pressing the B button sucks between options? Who gives AF, it's 3 seconds vs. 1. And these days I'm barely having to hit it anyway - weird-ass critique, but I guess you get used to it?

I do wish there were more options like a better adventure mode, but online is fine.

Nothing better than thinking you're bodied from the last strike animation and coming back and whooping the opponent's a*s. Highly disagree there. And I played Brawl religiously with friends back in the day, skipped 4 and came back into gaming because of Ultimate. No regrets, I fu*k with it and Zelda BOTW of course

Oh and #Samusgang, come catch these hands. I stay in and out of Elite Smash FWM.

4 weeks ago '17        #9
space
space
 Lito Guapalot said
Game dope to me. Something I turn on throughout the week and hand out and collect Ls for a hour or 2.

Honestly tho you should've copped around when it first dropped. We was running BX rooms for awhile and everybody was handing out fades
Lets get back on that, I got a legit switch again
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #10
Daddy Black 
space
space
Props total: 8702 8 K  Slaps total: 812 812

Nah fam. I get everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I play this game every night and I disagree with everything you said. It’s game is fire. The content alone is dope.
+3   

4 weeks ago '07        #11
Wilder GOAT  OP
space
space
 colliay3 said
Pressing the B button sucks between options? Who gives AF, it's 3 seconds vs. 1. And these days I'm barely having to hit it anyway - weird-ass critique, but I guess you get used to it?
Holding the B button.
Dude, it is unnecessary annoying x3 or so.. that is all, no need to defend it.

I hate to be so analytical about it, but it sucks and there's nothing you can do about it for no reason. it adds up being a huge waste of time for everyone.

I do wish there were more options like a better adventure mode, but online is fine.

colliay3 said
Nothing better than thinking you're bodied from the last strike animation and coming back and whooping the opponent's a*s. Highly disagree there. And I played Brawl religiously with friends back in the day, skipped 4 and came back into gaming because of Ultimate. No regrets, I fu*k with it and Zelda BOTW of course.
comebacks like that are cool but equal downfalls are bad too..

I had most ko's in an online game and got KO'd by a weak move that would never k*ll anyone at about 60% suddenly, then a dude gets hit with a sick weapon throw critical near the edge of the screen and survives at 130%..
its all part of the game or whatever but it would be nice if a pop-up on screen could tell me how that is all consistent, but anyway, just playin.

Its really one of the best games to me, cant believe they don't maintenance it at all as much as people hype tourneys on youtube or whatever.
All versions are timeless and easy to pick up and play whenever, but this one is all sorts of annoying and lack of features.

4 weeks ago '07        #12
Wilder GOAT  OP
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said

I wrote a quick review, far from a book.. funny are you a noob or something

Brawl has the best official review scores to this day, and Ultimate is about equal to Melee. That should tell you something. It shouldn't be close tho when you take into consideration the time the games were made.

I feel this is another case of you 'gamers' being in denial, defending your purchase because a game is 'new' but not actually better than the titles multiple generations ago. Just like CoD gets worse and more forgettable every year.

4 weeks ago '04        #13
shortz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 4008 4 K  Slaps total: 2707 2 K
I suck at this game can't hit sh*t

4 weeks ago '11        #14
Gamemusic 
space
space
Props total: 2158 2 K  Slaps total: 156 156
Smash Ultimate is the best f*ghting game out right now along with Tekken 7.
+3   

4 weeks ago '17        #15
space
space
 Wilder GOAT said
I wrote a quick review, far from a book.. funny are you a noob or something

Brawl has the best official review scores to this day, and Ultimate is about equal to Melee. That should tell you something. It shouldn't be close tho when you take into consideration the time the games were made.

I feel this is another case of you 'gamers' being in denial, defending your purchase because a game is 'new' but not actually better than the titles multiple generations ago. Just like CoD gets worse and more forgettable every year.
It literally just won a game of the year award
+3   

4 weeks ago '16        #16
TrillPeez 
space
space
Props total: 33974 33 K  Slaps total: 6766 6 K
This n*gga bi*ching about having to hold a button to back out but would bi*ch WAY more if accidental presses backed you out of menus and you had to wait for a loading screen...issa good QoL thing to me
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #17
Lito Guapalot 
space
space
Props total: 17350 17 K  Slaps total: 260 260
 SPdaGOAT said
Lets get back on that, I got a legit switch again
Most def @ @ @ @ we gotta bring it back
+5   

4 weeks ago '13        #18
hoodnurd 
space
space
Props total: 225 225  Slaps total: 169 169
It’s bad in the regard it’s lacking game replay value with its minimal game modes which there should be more of. What that being said co-op should be a main emphasis as to playing with multiple friends in the side scroller mario-like platform aside from just the battle royal type matches the adventure and story would’ve been great co-op just another opportunity missed really. The character roster is good and all even tho I wasn’t feeling any of the dlc and they need do multiple seasons or years of roster additions only further expanding on the structure of the game extending the life of it given it’s going to hold up regardless. Make your money nintendo.
+1   

4 weeks ago '05        #19
Daddy Black 
space
space
Props total: 8702 8 K  Slaps total: 812 812
 TrillPeez said
This n*gga bi*ching about having to hold a button to back out but would bi*ch WAY more if accidental presses backed you out of menus and you had to wait for a loading screen...issa good QoL thing to me
Thatís the exact reason itís set up like that. So you donít fu*k up.
+1   

4 weeks ago '07        #20
Wilder GOAT  OP
space
space
that sh*t makes no sense,

no one ever had a problem with that on ANY other game

I swear people will find a way to defend anything..
@ @

4 weeks ago '07        #21
Wilder GOAT  OP
space
space
 TrillPeez said
 Daddy Black said
Thatís the exact reason itís set up like that. So you donít fu*k up.
 SPdaGOAT said
It literally just won a game of the year award
game of the year? this came out how many years ago? shows how dead this whole generation of gaming is.

and literally nothing else dropped for the switch since..

4 weeks ago '17        #22
space
space
 Wilder GOAT said
game of the year? this came out how many years ago? shows how dead this whole generation of gaming is.

Youíre below the amateur level of trolling

4 weeks ago '16        #23
TrillPeez 
space
space
Props total: 33974 33 K  Slaps total: 6766 6 K
 Wilder GOAT said

Game hasn't even been out a year yet dumb n*gga
+1   

4 weeks ago '15        #24
AlmightySae 
space
space
Props total: 2422 2 K  Slaps total: 497 497
You just trash bro. Whats your friend code, I'll dawg yo sh*t.
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #25
AlmightySae 
space
space
Props total: 2422 2 K  Slaps total: 497 497
 SPdaGOAT said

Agreed, Hell it took them less time to outsell sf 2. Like come on bruh, this sh*t fun af.
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-33online now  36
Video inside Lizzo the rapper has a mental breakdown after internet backlash
292 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+127online now  28
Image(s) inside Most iconic timberlands are about to release
136 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+54online now  26
Patrice O'Neal Being a Human In A Room Full Of Robots
59 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  13
Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker leaks have hit the web (Rey is...... *SPOILER*)
53 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy