Martin Scorsese Says Cinemas Are Being "Invaded" by "Theme Park" Films

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 month ago '18        #1
1464 page views
63 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
space
space
Props total: 25287 25 K  Slaps total: 1241 1 K
Martin Scorsese Says Cinemas Are Being "Invaded" by "Theme Park" Films

"Martin Scorsese has doubled down on comments that sparked widespread debate earlier this month, in which he compared Marvel films to "theme parks."

Speaking at a press conference on Sunday alongside Robert De Niro and Al Pacino ahead of The Irishmanís closing-night screening at the BFI London Film Festival, the director repeated the "theme park" line.

"It's not cinema, itís something else," he argued. "We shouldnít be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films."

The comments echoed statements he made on Saturday during BAFTA's annual David Lean lecture, claiming that movie theaters are "all being taken over" by theme park films.

"Theaters have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but donít invade everything else in that sense," he said. "That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. Itís not my kind of thing, it simply is not. Itís creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that."

visit this link https://www.hollywoodrepo .. -films-1247268
+9   

best
worst
63 comments

1 month ago '04        #2
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 10265 10 K  Slaps total: 1846 1 K
Sorry that he feels that way..... he had his time.

1 month ago '06        #3
DonYBE 
space
space
Props total: 8122 8 K  Slaps total: 858 858
Not everyone feels the same way he does and one can say that not everyone love his films as well. Some can say that some of his movies glorify violence and s*x.

Theme parks are generally for families and most "theme park" movies he claim has invaded cinema are geared towards families and the younger generations, or people who grew up on Marvel and DC comics and cartoons.

I'm not going to take my whole family to see The Irishman if I have a movie like Spiderman opening at the same time.

However, that doesn't mean I won't see The Irishman with my wife or by myself. If a movie is good, I'll go see it regardless of the genre.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy an Avengers movie as much as I enjoy a Goodfellas movie. Cinemas are in the business to make money, whether it's a narrative film or a "theme park" film. I love "theme park" films because it's my childhood come to life and I love spending time with my family watching them and then talking about it with them. Now as they get older and mature enough, we'll go and watch the narrative films.

Just saying

+13   

1 month ago '05        #4
ice wolf 
space
space
Props total: 10017 10 K  Slaps total: 3267 3 K
Co sign

I like real films with actors that don’t need CG to entertain you because the performance of the actors and screenplay are masterfully executed.

Not hating on Marvel either, I just prefer classic cinema and agree that categorically what someone like Ms does is drastically different than what a Marvel film is.
+10   

1 month ago '17        #5
CJ Schwarz 
space
space
Props total: 25456 25 K  Slaps total: 1860 1 K
When you bring your kids to the movies, generally they want sh*t at the concession stands, so if I'm the theater I want those "theme park" movies showing at my theater over true cinema. Also, isn't he using de aging CGI for this Netflix movie, kind of hypocritical.
+1   

1 month ago '10        #6
Big Louie Guwop 
space
space
Props total: 25534 25 K  Slaps total: 4725 4 K
Facts. adult nerds acting like 13 year olds middle schoolers over superhero movies is the saddest sh*t to see. n*ggas be hyped about Spider-Man an sh*t like that grow tf up you overgrown a*s man-children
+1   

1 month ago '07        #7
Bullseye 
space
space
Props total: 3395 3 K  Slaps total: 750 750
About damn time someone with notoriety speaks out about it.

I know some directors/actors who actually work in Hollywood and everyone in that scene has known this for years and been tired of it. Hollywood doesn't really invest in real legit films anymore, just these comic book movies that are more about being flashy and selling tickets than about creating great cinema. This has led a lot of the best films makers, actors, writers, etc. to flock to Netflix and other places to continue to create dope sh!t. This has gotten too out of hand for too long. I barely go to the movies anymore cause ain't sh!t being made worth watching anymore.

+7   

1 month ago '19        #8
swizzie36 
space
space
space
Props total: 145 145  Slaps total: 31 31
If he could have made the money Infinity War and Black Panther generated would he be making these statements ?
+2   

1 month ago '15        #9
Tobinmont  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 14694 14 K  Slaps total: 1092 1 K
 DonYBE said
Not everyone feels the same way he does and one can say that not everyone love his films as well. Some can say that some of his movies glorify violence and s*x.

Theme parks are generally for families and most "theme park" movies he claim has invaded cinema are geared towards families and the younger generations, or people who grew up on Marvel and DC comics and cartoons.

I'm not going to take my whole family to see The Irishman if I have a movie like Spiderman opening at the same time.

However, that doesn't mean I won't see The Irishman with my wife or by myself. If a movie is good, I'll go see it regardless of the genre.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy an Avengers movie as much as I enjoy a Goodfellas movie. Cinemas are in the business to make money, whether it's a narrative film or a "theme park" film. I love "theme park" films because it's my childhood come to life and I love spending time with my family watching them and then talking about it with them. Now as they get older and mature enough, we'll go and watch the narrative films.

Just saying

I donít think the question is whether thereís room for both I think heís referring to the over saturation as of late.

1 month ago '04        #10
kniccalodeon 
space
space
space
Props total: 5328 5 K  Slaps total: 236 236
With a comment like that, he needs to address the fact that movie theaters are making the movie going experience more about the amenities than the movie itself. Think about what you can get and what you can do at the movies now. That doesn’t play any factor into the ‘theme park’/‘amusement park’ comparison?

And another thing, within the past 30 years of cinema, how many times have we seen a genre rule the box office? There was a sci-fi, horror, slasher, teen drama, disaster, sequels, etc. It’ll balance out.

1 month ago '12        #11
styxz 
space
space
Props total: 1488 1 K  Slaps total: 154 154
There is an issue that he's tapping into with this new take though.

Disney be buying these theaters out, and threatening to withhold their products if they don't get X amount of screens for mad long. It's kinda scummy real talk.

But, that's not really on Marvel movies, or even blockbusters. That's business.

So if he's saying that Hollywood isnt conducive to "true" cinema (meaning art or something) then yeah sure. But it been like that since one. Sound like some hating azz sh*t the way he's framing this.
+6   

1 month ago '15        #12
He Hate Me 
space
space
Props total: 18266 18 K  Slaps total: 1729 1 K
 O1as said
Parents aren't going to take their children to see the Irishman. Get over it.
They take them to see Inside Out which is a amazing film on dealing with emotions. Zootopia is a breakdown on prejudice and injustice. Toy Story 4 was finding a purpose in life.

Kid films now are a lot smarter than the ones I grew up on. They tell great stories.

Even horror filmmaking has gotten better look as Get Out, Babadook or It Follows.

I donít agree with him at all as film are not better than ever unless itís a remake then thatís a different discussion.

1 month ago '07        #13
MOTTAFOOKAH 
space
space
Props total: 2191 2 K  Slaps total: 373 373
Instead of all these stupid a*s remakes that have been littering the box office,, put out some sh*t with good storylines...
+4   

1 month ago '04        #14
GodsFavorite 
space
space
space
Props total: 6173 6 K  Slaps total: 961 961
Ohh my god get over it. Mobster movies are not the only form of cinema

If you appreciated Star Wars and Indiana Jones etc but say the MCU is ruining cinema, you truly are out of touch or have gotten old and cranky
+9   

1 month ago '04        #15
GodsFavorite 
space
space
space
 MOTTAFOOKAH said
Instead of all these stupid a*s remakes that have been littering the box office,, put out some sh*t with good storylines...
Thatís been the case for like 15 years now. Heís specifically bi*ching about CBMs
+2   

1 month ago '10        #16
Kool Aid 
space
space
Props total: 4817 4 K  Slaps total: 1170 1 K
Reminds me of the music bidness

1 month ago '09        #17
sammcc30 
space
space
Props total: 3126 3 K  Slaps total: 314 314
 O1as said
Parents aren't going to take their children to see the Irishman. Get over it.
That was my thoughts exactly, I canít take my 7 years olds to see The Irishman I can take them to see Spider-Man tho..and if he really feels that way maybe make movies more than once every 10 years
+4   

1 month ago '13        #18
wallace45 
space
space
Props total: 5549 5 K  Slaps total: 732 732
 Bullseye said
About damn time someone with notoriety speaks out about it.

I know some directors/actors who actually work in Hollywood and everyone in that scene has known this for years and been tired of it. Hollywood doesn't really invest in real legit films anymore, just these comic book movies that are more about being flashy and selling tickets than about creating great cinema. This has led a lot of the best films makers, actors, writers, etc. to flock to Netflix and other places to continue to create dope sh!t. This has gotten too out of hand for too long. I barely go to the movies anymore cause ain't sh!t being made worth watching anymore.

I fu*k with comic book movies but I see your point they need to find a balance
+1   

1 month ago '18        #19
Mr Tibbs 
space
space
Props total: 1581 1 K  Slaps total: 252 252
With over a billion served, McDonalds has the best hamburgers.

1 month ago '16        #20
144000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 15435 15 K  Slaps total: 32652 32 K
Hell yeah

He must be on BX... I called yesterday for him to speak out more on this

1 month ago '04        #21
GodsFavorite 
space
space
space
 Mr Tibbs said
With over a billion served, McDonalds has the best hamburgers.
False equivalence. McDonaldís sells burgers because theyíre cheap. CBMs make money because audiences actually like them

No one uses the box office as a measuring stick. They are just good blockbuster movies
+1   

1 month ago '04        #22
JFamis 
space
space
Props total: 7800 7 K  Slaps total: 1108 1 K
 CJ Schwarz said
When you bring your kids to the movies, generally they want sh*t at the concession stands, so if I'm the theater I want those "theme park" movies showing at my theater over true cinema. Also, isn't he using de aging CGI for this Netflix movie, kind of hypocritical.
Heís never made this about CGI... thatís a conclusion people are jumping to... I think his main issue is everything being so IP-focused now... I donít think this is just about Marvel either, but itís framed that way because the questions heís being asked.

1 month ago '04        #23
JFamis 
space
space
Props total: 7800 7 K  Slaps total: 1108 1 K
 sammcc30 said
That was my thoughts exactly, I canít take my 7 years olds to see The Irishman I can take them to see Spider-Man tho..and if he really feels that way maybe make movies more than once every 10 years
What are you talking about?

Shutter Island (2010)
Hugo (2011)
The Wolf of a Wall Street (2013)
Silence (2016)
The Irishman (2019)

Making a movie usually takes 1 1/2 to 3 years, so heís moving at an impressive pace for his age, considering heís done a couple documentaries and produced movies between these too...
+1   

1 month ago '04        #24
youngsiz 
space
space
Props total: 4982 4 K  Slaps total: 970 970
Kids have more buying power than adults this is business whatever lol Tommy wants little Tommy gets

1 month ago '18        #25
Armstrong 102 
space
space
space
Props total: 2203 2 K  Slaps total: 592 592
I think he talking about 3D, those moving chairs, 5d sh*t and movies being made to have u wear the glasses shake ur chair not the cgi thing
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  21
2019 Black Friday deals?
69 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  16
Christian Bale; Christopher Nolan declined to develop a sequel to 'The Dark Kn..
38 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+17online now  6
Nov 18 - South Korea Ditches The US, Signs Defense Agreement With China
68 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  3
Video inside Surgery for six-packs: the rise of Drake's plastic surgery