I Bought A Galaxy Fold And Used It For Ten Days—Here Are My Thoughts

most viewed right now
37 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '07        #1
2967 page views
27 comments

Jago  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 8785 8 K  Slaps total: 1338 1 K
I Bought A Galaxy Fold And Used It For Ten Days—Here Are My Thoughts

For the last several years, smartphone manufacturers innovated primarily in the way of camera technology, while the form factor has increasingly stagnated into a bunch of boring, glass-backed slabs. Many have been asking for more innovation, and with the Samsung Galaxy Fold we see a radical departure from the ordinary. But phones that fold are, in a way, a return to the past.

Nearly a decade ago, we had foldable phones like the Nokia E7 and T-Mobile Touch Pro 2. They were known as "slider" phones, and featured displays that folded away to reveal physical QWERTY keyboards, with email and texting first in mind use cases. Software-based keyboards have advanced considerably in that time, so it's doubtful these type of folding devices will be making a comeback (Blackberry Key2 aside).

Samsung's take on folding utilizes cutting-edge tech to offer a truly foldable screen, and while the center of the display is clearly visible and apparent in most use cases, it's still gloriously cool to use. In order to fully appreciate the Galaxy Fold, you have to see it in person—anyone who judges it harshly without trying one is likely to change their minds after some time with the phone.

I traveled eight hours round trip to purchase an AT&T Galaxy Fold at Best Buy in Eastern Washington, and the cost of the phone and trip were absolutely worth it. I've been using the Fold as my daily driver for 10 days, and it just keeps getting better.

When the first batch of Galaxy Folds suffered failures due to serious design flaws, I canceled my own pre-order. I told myself wouldn't even consider it until the second generation, when the kinks were all worked out.

Samsung made some significant design improvements by sealing the edges of the display and closing up the openings on the top and bottom in way of the hinges. When you unbox the Galaxy Fold, you're greeted with guidelines on how to care for your phone and use it responsibly. And at $2,000, it's probably prudent to take heed of these warnings.

Samsung also showed a video where its test machine folded the Galaxy Fold more than 200,000 times without failure. At 100 folds a day, which is more than I have managed even with enthusiastic testing, it would take 5.5 years to reach 200,000. That's far longer than almost anyone keeps a smartphone. While CNET recently conducted its own hinge durability test in which a Fold failed after only 120,000 folds, their methodology was suspect. No one is going to violently slam a Fold open and shut at the rate of the machine used.

The major innovation here is obviously the 7.3" folding OLED display. Samsung is known for stunning screens, and the one on the Fold is no different. Its soft upper layer has been shown to be sensitive to scratches and indents, but I don't think it is as fragile as we've been led to believe. Since very few are likely to ever see a Fold, let alone purchase one, I've been letting people use the phone whenever I can (I've let more than 50 people try it out so far).

While the screen is stunning, you can clearly see, and feel, the center portion of the display that folds over the hinge. Some people will never be able to accept that. But when watching movies or working with apps that have bright backgrounds it's hardly noticeable.

There's also a narrow 4.6-inch display on the exterior of the Fold that functions as a full Android smartphone normally would. The only real compromise is with text entry, but Gboard swiping works well, and I quickly got used to a smaller keyboard (after all, smartphones used to be pretty tiny). Due to the size, I thought I would rarely use the outer display, but I find myself spending more than a quarter of my time on it because it's a great one-handed smartphone. For calls, quick messages, and other short tasks it's also just more convenient.

The Galaxy Fold is quite heavy, at 276 grams (over half a pound)—far heavier than even the huge Note 10 Plus, which is a "mere" 196 grams. It's also more than twice as thick as one when folded, and the phone has a decidedly dense feel to it in the closed position, but it doesn't feel nearly so unwieldy when expanded in all 7.8" of its glory.

App continuity is one major software feature that we see only on the Galaxy Fold right now, owing to its two separate screens. Samsung hasn't made applications transfer from the inner display to the outer display by default, but instead lets you select which apps will behave this way. There are some apps I've tried that don't support app continuity at all, such as Garmin Connect, Amazon Alexa, Evernote, Fitbit, Starbucks, Strava, and Uber. That list will, hopefully, shrink over time.

The other major software enhancement only found on the Galaxy Fold is the ability to open and use three (or more!) apps at once. You can even drag and drop a fourth app onto the very center of the screen and have that application appear over the top of the three other apps in use.

The Samsung Galaxy Fold isn't perfect yet, but for new technology, it is a lot better than I expected.

Time will tell how durable it is, but I'm treating it just as I would any phone (though there's no way I'm going running with this bad boy), and I'm showing it off to people more than I ever have any other phone before.

The Fold serves well as a one-handed communicator and then opens up to a world of big screen apps and media, truly functioning as a phone and small tablet in one. You can even connect it to a PC monitor and create a desktop UI with Samsung's DeX software. It's that promise of doing it all—of being the one computer in your life—that I think offers a glimpse of our mobile future.

visit this link I bought a Galaxy Fold and used it for ten days—here are my thoughts
+8   

best
worst
27 comments

1 month ago '09        #2
csmitty 
space
space
Props total: 997 997  Slaps total: 93 93
The Fold is the future but I'm not dropping my money on this prototype.. I'll wait til next round.
+25   

1 month ago '18        #3
BlaqThum 
space
space
Props total: 2730 2 K  Slaps total: 176 176
 csmitty said
The Fold is the future but I'm not dropping my money on this prototype.. I'll wait til next round.
Yeah I think this is start of creative phone designs again. If they relaunch a the sidekick and do it rite I’m all in on that... I miss that flip up to keyboard style.
+9   

1 month ago '05        #4
kriskross00 
space
space
Props total: 54788 54 K  Slaps total: 6846 6 K

Samsung made some significant design improvements by sealing the edges of the display and closing up the openings on the top and bottom in way of the hinges. When you unbox the Galaxy Fold, you're greeted with guidelines on how to care for your phone and use it responsibly. And at $2,000..

+5   

1 month ago '04        #5
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 8736 8 K  Slaps total: 1220 1 K
2k is crazy Fam for phone. Text, calls, interested. Any serious real work you need to do you should have a laptop or Ultrabook.
+4   

1 month ago '05        #6
Y.G. 
space
space
space
Props total: 22148 22 K  Slaps total: 3112 3 K
 nwking said
2k is crazy Fam for phone. Text, calls, interested. Any serious real work you need to do you should have a laptop or Ultrabook.
The Fold isn't for people who need to do serious work. It's for people with disposable income that want the latest tech and/or are nerds.
+17   

1 month ago '16        #7
Ozzy Booty 
space
space
Props total: 2141 2 K  Slaps total: 74 74
Fold 2 is gonna be crazy.
+5   

1 month ago '17        #8
bRonX 
space
space
space
Props total: 131 131  Slaps total: 2 2
Flossy did a review and said the same thing about the screen. It isnt as delicate as some other tech reviewers are making it seem. The cost and the weight makes it a no go for me. After all, i have to have thing in my pocket and if i drop it i would probably have a heart attack.

I'm very curious about the Microsoft Duo though. It looks promising.

What he said about it being cool to use when closed and easy one had operation makes me wonder why companies arent considering smaller full screen phones. The iphone SE size with a full screen would be perfect for me and probably most dudes that feel these damn near tablet phones are too big to put in your pocket.
+2   

1 month ago '18        #9
MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 6155 6 K  Slaps total: 5989 5 K
 csmitty said
And 2k is way too much bread for a basic phone that folds. After while once companies learn how to build it, then its going to go down to a regular price of maybe a few hundred bucks. Not no racko dawg.

Same price as a used el dorado.

1 month ago '18        #10
Losantana16x3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6069 6 K  Slaps total: 1303 1 K
 Y.G. said
The Fold isn't for people who need to do serious work. It's for people with disposable income that want the latest tech and/or are nerds.
Too big to be a phone. Too small to be a tablet. #NoteGang
+2   

1 month ago '05        #11
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 Losantana16x3 said
Too big to be a phone. Too small to be a tablet. #NoteGang
The Note is going away. It's likely to be merged into the Galaxy S line and the Fold 2 (and on) will take its fall release spot.

1 month ago '18        #12
space
space
 Y.G. said
The Note is going away. It's likely to be merged into the Galaxy S line and the Fold 2 (and on) will take its fall release spot.
Fact or fiction?
+1   

1 month ago '05        #13
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 Losantana16x3 said
Fact or fiction?
It's rumored for now but the writing is on the wall. Samsung won't continue having 3 different major releases during the year, especially if they expect the Fold to cannibalize Note sales.

1 month ago '18        #14
space
space
 Y.G. said
It's rumored for now but the writing is on the wall. Samsung won't continue having 3 different major releases during the year, especially if they expect the Fold to cannibalize Note sales.
But note users love their Notes. I got the 9 and will upgrade to the 11 once released. I get the cool factor but that sh*t is useless and has an obvious shelf life indesign.

What is useful is collaborative designs with other daily drivers , like a phone that can be inserted in to a car dash like a removable face to a car audio receiver. Serving as a docking station and screen for a car audio receiver. Mass produce that and a larger or foldable phone will appeal. Until then my static screen that doesn't fold is perfectly perfect. Oh yeah the dongle and its features are masterful as well

Last edited by Losantana16x3; 10-12-2019 at 10:52 AM..
+2   

1 month ago '05        #15
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 Losantana16x3 said
But note users love their Notes. I got the 9 and will upgrade to the 11 once released. I get the cool factor but that sh*t is useless and has an obvious shelf life indesign.

What is useful is collaborative designs with other daily drivers , like a phone that can be inserted in to a car dash like a removable face to a car audio receiver. Serving as a docking station and screen for a car audio receiver. Mass produce that and a larger or foldable phone will appeal. Until then my static screen that doesn't fold is perfectly perfect. Oh yeah the dongle and its features are masterful as well
It's a business decision. The Note is nearly identical to the S. Outside of the S Pen, it's basically the same phone. It will be easy to merge the lines and add a Galaxy S variant with a pen. The Fold will have the fall release slot to itself. It will be Samsung's most important device going forward so it makes sense for them to give it a higher priority. This would probably happen in a couple years.

Last edited by Y.G.; 10-12-2019 at 01:16 PM..
+2   

1 month ago '04        #16
JayR04 
space
space
Props total: 10076 10 K  Slaps total: 550 550
If these mfs wouldn't have messed up the first release, I would've had one. But I got tired of waiting. And then hearing the problems with the pre-release it turned me off.

1 month ago '09        #17
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 6354 6 K  Slaps total: 1545 1 K
I want this phone but I use mint mobile which cost $20 for a month of service the fu*k I look like using that service on a $2000 phone

My cheap a*s about to upgrade this s7 edge in another 6 months for an s9 or s10
+3   

1 month ago '04        #18
qutaboi225  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 19023 19 K  Slaps total: 2498 2 K
 MayneThaTruth2 said
And 2k is way too much bread for a basic phone that folds. After while once companies learn how to build it, then its going to go down to a regular price of maybe a few hundred bucks. Not no racko dawg.

Same price as a used el dorado.
n*gga normal phones are almost 2k NOW. This is the direction of phones and pricing going forward
+1   

1 month ago '16        #19
space
space
Props total: 22545 22 K  Slaps total: 2830 2 K
 qutaboi225 said
n*gga normal phones are almost 2k NOW. This is the direction of phones and pricing going forward
Which phones are almost 2k USD?

Last edited by 00010111; 10-14-2019 at 10:54 AM..
+1   

1 month ago '09        #20
colliay3 
space
space
Props total: 321 321  Slaps total: 42 42
 Zaosyn said
I want this phone but I use mint mobile which cost $20 for a month of service the fu*k I look like using that service on a $2000 phone

My cheap a*s about to upgrade this s7 edge in another 6 months for an s9 or s10
$20? What do you think of it?

I pay $45 for StraightTalk's 3GB of monthly data. What happens when you go over that? StraightTalk downloads at half speed in that case (for me it's rare). Coverage is great since I'm in Atlanta and it uses AT&T's towers.

Just checked. It supports my s9 and says I'll have great coverage based on my zip code.

1 month ago '18        #21
MayneThaTruth2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 6155 6 K  Slaps total: 5989 5 K
 qutaboi225 said
Most normal phones cost about $400. This phone aint even water proof or anything. It just fold.

Lets say they make it water proof and everything, then maybe I say they sell it for a good 700, but not no 2 rax!
+2   

1 month ago '04        #22
qutaboi225  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 19023 19 K  Slaps total: 2498 2 K
 00010111 said
Which phones are almost 2k USD?
Galaxy s10+ depending on the memory runs about 1200-1800. Iphones also. Note 10 is up there too. What country yall n*ggas live in?
+3   

1 month ago '16        #23
space
space
Props total: 22545 22 K  Slaps total: 2830 2 K
 qutaboi225 said
Galaxy s10+ depending on the memory runs about 1200-1800. Iphones also. Note 10 is up there too. What country yall n*ggas live in?
I don't spend such on phones. No reason to. I have multiple phones - Oneplus, Xiaomi and a few Nokias. In total they may have cost me a bit over $2k.

Those 'normal' phones that you referred to are anything but. Rather they are top spec vanity items.

Last edited by 00010111; 10-14-2019 at 12:49 PM..
+1   

1 month ago '19        #24
sinsay 
space
space
space
Props total: 732 732  Slaps total: 134 134
Yall n*ggas complainin about the price like it ain't gone drop in a couple years when you actually ready to upgrade your device
+1   

1 month ago '09        #25
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 6354 6 K  Slaps total: 1545 1 K
 colliay3 said
$20? What do you think of it?

I pay $45 for StraightTalk's 3GB of monthly data. What happens when you go over that? StraightTalk downloads at half speed in that case (for me it's rare). Coverage is great since I'm in Atlanta and it uses AT&T's towers.

Just checked. It supports my s9 and says I'll have great coverage based on my zip code.
Yup $20

I buy it 6 months at a time. I have the 8gb package I got it while it was on sale. I think it's $25 a month. When you use up all your data you get 2g speeds I think it's terrible. Coverage is good in Chicago and a few years ago I went to Kentucky and it was bad coverage but I went back last year and was getting almost full service everywhere so it has improved.

Sometimes I do not receive calls or text.. if I message someone who has texted me and I never received it I will get that text imedditally. It's weird. It's not like that all the time but it does happen almost a few days a week. I just accept that's what comes with being so cheap.

I'd leave if the prices weren't so good. I just use the service for data to be honest.
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+59online now  24
Teanna Trump calls out OKC basketball player anonymously
124 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+57online now  21
Video inside "South Park" Uses Randy Savage's Likeness To Mock Trans Athletes
94 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  18
LAMELO BALL and BBB just LITERALLY SHUTDOWN SYDNEY AUSTRALIA and made HIST..
55 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  5
Image(s) inside John Woo Also sh-tting On MCU
120 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy