Martin Scorsese Doesn't Think Marvel Movies Are Cinema

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 month ago '06        #1
5237 page views
247 comments

SM 
space
space
Props total: 136825 136 K  Slaps total: 28119 28 K
Martin Scorsese Doesn't Think Marvel Movies Are Cinema

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”
+71   

best
worst
247 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
-ThE~DoN~LoN- 
space
space
Props total: 663 663  Slaps total: 312 312
He doesn't believe that they're Oscar worthy either.
+28   

1 month ago '11        #3
CALViiiN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 49971 49 K  Slaps total: 6766 6 K
 -ThE~DoN~LoN- said
He doesn't believe that they're Oscar worthy either.
I agree.

MARVE

I mean, you’d think a movie with a $400milli budget have some real a*s CGI.

Last edited by CALViiiN; 10-03-2019 at 06:10 PM..
+13   

1 month ago '05        #4
kriskross00 
space
space
Props total: 54764 54 K  Slaps total: 6844 6 K
I agree...would fast and furious win an oscar for best film? That doesnt mean Marvel doesnt have characters capable of pulling it off...but they are action ride alongs
+11   

1 month ago '07        #5
pandadays 
space
space
Props total: 16148 16 K  Slaps total: 4398 4 K
Old n*ggas rot, what's new?

1 month ago '18        #6
Alessandro88 
space
space
space
Props total: 539 539  Slaps total: 131 131
He's right. They're the dumbest sh*t ever!
+21   

1 month ago '04        #7
JFamis 
space
space
Props total: 7777 7 K  Slaps total: 1107 1 K
Because of their episodic nature, he’s technically not wrong... That’s why I’m glad Batman is breaking off the DCEU. I find these movies entertaining, but there is something missing from most of them because the focus on world building and setting up other movies rather than being a self-contained story.
+36   

1 month ago '15        #8
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 6488 6 K  Slaps total: 1011 1 K
I agree and I didn’t hate the mcu was pretty indifferent but impressed how that all started from thAt iron man film. Go back and watch that it’s so different in tone. Same for the conjuring 7 or 8 aka annabelle the first conjuring was soooo good and even had the weird chick from all those 90s horrors. I finally watched annabelle 3 and it felt like a true episode of goosebumps and then they throw in the next hints at villians they are like themeparks or elaborate tv shows just adding a new piece or two every year.
+7   

1 month ago '05        #9
kriskross00 
space
space
Props total: 54764 54 K  Slaps total: 6844 6 K
 pandadays said
What does that even mean
+18   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '12        #10
Thworldisyours 
space
space
Props total: 28852 28 K  Slaps total: 1502 1 K
It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.

I get what he's saying

The Marvel movies are good. None are bad really.

But none had a lasting impact on me or hit me on a personal level.
+24   

1 month ago '17        #11
Petieparker 
space
space
Props total: 9766 9 K  Slaps total: 1023 1 K
Trust me, he don’t think highly of dc films either. There just not worth bringing up cause their not as successful as Marvel. Pretentious filmmakers hate Marvel films cause studios put bigger budgets into Super hero genre films and films that he creates doesn’t garner enough attention for big studios to push them heavily anymore. Hate the game not the player.
+25   

1 month ago '05        #12
Da Gooneyz 
space
space
Props total: 2381 2 K  Slaps total: 392 392
+6   

1 month ago '17        #13
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 42319 42 K  Slaps total: 9821 9 K
Spotted no lies. Those movies fu*king suck thats why yall bring up their sales to validate you liking them.

Best part not a fu*king soul in the industry will try to clap back
+15   

1 month ago '17        #14
space
space
 JFamis said
Because of their episodic nature, he’s technically not wrong... That’s why I’m glad Batman is breaking off the DCEU. I find these movies entertaining, but there is something missing from most of them because the focus on world building and setting up other movies rather than being a self-contained story.
I’ll always say comics are much better as TV shows than movies
+8   

1 month ago '17        #15
space
space
 Petieparker said
Trust me, he don’t think highly of dc films either. There just not worth bringing up cause their not as successful as Marvel. Pretentious filmmakers hate Marvel films cause studios put bigger budgets into Super hero genre films and films that he creates doesn’t garner enough attention for big studios to push them heavily anymore. Hate the game not the player.
Imagine Marty Scorsese struggling to get funding for a film
+20   

1 month ago '05        #16
bqstudios 
space
space
Props total: 7018 7 K  Slaps total: 1611 1 K
Scorsese is my favorite director , but Just take it with a grain of salt. Not all things are made for everyone. Those movies are so far from what he does , he just cant relate. But that doesnt mean the marvel movies arent great, i can enjoy an avengers movie just as much as Inglorious basterds.
+21   

1 month ago '04        #17
JFamis 
space
space
Props total: 7777 7 K  Slaps total: 1107 1 K
 Petieparker said
Gangs of New York budget... $100M
The Aviator budget... $110M
The Departed budget... $90M
Shutter Island budget... $80M
Hugo budget... $160M
The Wolf of Wall Street budget... $100M
Silence budget... $60M
The Irishman... $140M

Scorsese getting all the budget he needs. You’re delusional if you think he has any reason to be bitter. Only one movie that lost money in 20 years... Come on now... If Scorsese didn’t think what he thinks, he would’ve tried making a big budget spectacle by now, and guaranteed a big studio would give him the money he needs for it. He was about to produce Joker, but didn’t have time for it.
+13   

1 month ago '19        #18
Von Doom 
space
space
space
Props total: 291 291  Slaps total: 130 130
Lies... No time context. And this is old news.

What yall maybe forgetting is the B-list turned now Alist actors besides 2 Matt Damon n Leo. Claimed they wouldnt even think about doing any comic book movies in some ways, like what Martin is saying.

THE CROW, Judge Dredd, TNMNT 1, The Mask, Blade, Watchmen, Akira, Spiderman 1, IronMan 1. Hellboy 1, Men in Black 1. All had emotional scale. Really good plots. Character development and to this day out of those i listed

I bet Martin could never dare approach The Crow or Watchmen. But again...the Mext M.Scor movie that will drop will fit right in with every other film. No expanding or creating anything new at all.

But again... I like Matins movies. But he isnt changing his schtick either. Same type casts.

Yall wanna not say it. But this is part of nepotism by him amd Hollywood. Hence why the same things comes to the surface.

A huge lacl of deversity. All im saying it according to Martin only wites bang guns, rob, become politicians, legendary hitmen and gang bangrs.

But yall will tell it like his catalog is some expansive shyt. He has clasics. But they all fit in a narrow space.

How about Martin trying out someone other than a cast of prodominantly wites.

Last edited by Von Doom; 10-03-2019 at 07:06 PM..

1 month ago '10        #19
AriGold 
space
space
Props total: 5392 5 K  Slaps total: 1274 1 K
I got Scorsese right behind Spielberg as greatest director ever.
He’s made multiple movies that are better than any Marvel movie ever made.
I can’t lie though, the way Marvel did those 22 or 23 films was fantastic.
Different strokes for different folks.
+9   

1 month ago '17        #20
space
space
 bqstudios said
Scorsese is my favorite director , but Just take it with a grain of salt. Not all things are made for everyone. Those movies are so far from what he does , he just cant relate. But that doesnt mean the marvel movies arent great, i can enjoy an avengers movie just as much as Inglorious basterds.
Dont ever compare a Marvel movie to Inglorious fu*king Basterds
+3   

1 month ago '10        #21
AriGold 
space
space
Props total: 5392 5 K  Slaps total: 1274 1 K
 Von Doom said
Lies... No time context. And this is old news.

What yall maybe forgetting is the B-list turned now Alist actors besides 2 Matt Damon n Leo. Claimed they wouldnt even think about doing any comic book movies in some ways back of what Martin is saying.

Blade, Aliens, Predator, Watchmen; Akira, Spiderman 1, IronMan 1.

But again... I like Matins movies. But he isnt changing his schtick either. Same type casts.

Yall wanna not say it. But this is part of nepotism by him amd Hollywood. Hence why the same things comes to the surface.

A huge lacl of deversity. All im saying it according to Martin only wites bang guns, rob, become politicians, legendary hitmen and gang bangrs.

But yall will tell it like his catalog is some expansive shyt. He has clasics. But they all fit in a narrow space.

How about Martin trying out someone other than a cast of prodominantly wites.
Hopefully we get that Mike Tyson movie he’s supposed to be doing.
+6   

1 month ago '04        #22
justinjones 
space
space
Props total: 17653 17 K  Slaps total: 1103 1 K
there just really expensive tv episodes

Not knocking it because it clearly works
+6   

1 month ago '04        #23
GodsFavorite 
space
space
space
Props total: 6152 6 K  Slaps total: 957 957
Yawn. If marvel movies weren’t popular and successful these guys would have nothing to say. I love Marty but couldn’t care less about his opinion on blockbuster cinema, the same way I wouldn’t care about james gunn’s review of the irishman

To say avengers, infinity war and endgame are not incredible fears of cinema is fu*king stupid, no matter who is saying it
+11   

1 month ago '11        #24
CALViiiN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 49971 49 K  Slaps total: 6766 6 K
 pandadays said
idk who sucks the most marvel d*ck, you or @ but it shows

Last edited by CALViiiN; 10-03-2019 at 07:18 PM..
+4   

1 month ago '17        #25
space
space
 GodsFavorite said
Yawn. If marvel movies weren’t popular and successful these guys would have nothing to say. I love Marty but couldn’t care less about his opinion on blockbuster cinema, the same way I wouldn’t care about james gunn’s review of the irishman

To say avengers, infinity war and endgame are not incredible fears of cinema is fu*king stupid, no matter who is saying it
Endgame is not an incredible feat of cinema, that script was on a 5th grade level at best.
+5   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+16online now  26
JORDAN never wore those
28 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
online now  23
Article inside Netflix Responds to Mo’Nique Pay Discrimination Lawsuit
77 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  18
Death of IG Birth of TIKtok??
77 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+24online now  9
Nov 16 - Prince Andrew BBC full interview in Epstein (Guilty as F***)
71 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy