Video inside Beans Really Did Get Ko'd
211 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Beanie Sigel:The Real King Of Philly Is Back
69 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This just happened at my job.....what would you do BX brethren?
63 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sean Kingston Running Scared Gets ProtectionOrder On Game
104 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1
6019 pageviews
106 comments

L.E.S|M 
space
space
$5,597 | Props total: 1 1
May 16 - Mexico's Fox Defends Comment on Blacks

Mexico's Fox Defends Comment on Blacks

By TRACI CARL, a.ssociated Press Writer 54 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY - President
Vicente Fox refused to apologize Monday for saying Mexicans in the United States do the work that blacks won't — a comment widely viewed as acceptable in a country where blackface comedy is still considered funny and nicknames often reflect skin color.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City had raised the issue with the Mexican government. "That's a very insensitive and inappropriate way to phrase this and we would hope that (the Mexicans) would clarify the remarks if they have a chance," Boucher said.

Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, said the remark has been misinterpreted as a racial slur. He said the president was speaking in defense of Mexican migrants as they come under attack by the new U.S. immigration measures that include a wall along the U.S.-California border.

Stung by the U.S. crackdown on illegal immigrants, many Mexicans — including Mexico City's archbishop — said Fox was just stating a fact.

"The president was just telling the truth," said Celedonio Gonzalez, a 35-year-old carpenter who worked illegally in Dallas for six months in 2001. "Mexicans go to the United States because they have to. Blacks want to earn better wages, and the Mexican — because he is illegal — takes what they pay him."

But the
Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev.
Al Sharpton, two black U.S. civil rights activists, said Fox should apologize. "His statement had the impact of being inciting and divisive," Jackson said.

Lisa Catanzarite, a sociologist at Washington State University, disputed Fox's a.ssertion. She said there is intense competition for lucrative working class jobs like construction and that employers usually prefer to hire immigrants who don't know their rights.

"What Vicente Fox called a willingness to work ... translates into extreme exploitability," she said.

Fox made the comment Friday during a public appearance in Puerto Vallarta, saying: "There's no doubt that Mexican men and women — full of dignity, willpower and a capacity for work — are doing the work that not even blacks want to do in the United States."

Responding to the criticism Monday, Aguilar read a statement expressing Fox's "enormous respect for minorities, whatever their racial, ethnic or religious origin."

"The purpose (of the comment) was none other than to show the importance Mexican workers have today in the development and progress of U.S. society," Aguilar said, repeating a statement released Saturday.

He refused to comment further, saying only that Fox would "intensify his diplomatic efforts to protect the integrity of the Mexicans living in that country."

The dispute reflects Fox's growing frustration with U.S. immigration policy and deteriorating relations between the two nations.

The Mexican government was expected to send a diplomatic letter to the United States on Monday protesting recent measures that include requiring states to verify that people who apply for a driver's license are in the country legally, making it harder for migrants to gain amnesty, and overriding environmental laws to build a barrier along the California border with Mexico.

The measures have been widely criticized in Mexico, where residents increasingly see the United States as adopting anti-migrant policies.

Even Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, the archbishop of Mexico City, criticized the U.S. policy as ridiculous and defended Fox's comments, saying: "The declaration had nothing to do with racism. It is a reality in the United States that anyone can prove."

Gilberto Rincon, president of the National Council to Prevent Discrimination, said the statement was "unfortunate." But, speaking after releasing a report on racism in Mexico, he said it reflected outdated language more than a racist attitude.

Fox has championed the rights of minorities and the disabled and has led a successful campaign to amend the constitution to make discrimination a crime.

George Grayson, a Mexican expert with the College of William & Mary in Virginia, said the dispute will hurt Fox's campaign to liberalize immigration laws, adding that it shows "once again how tone deaf Mexico's president is with respect to the United States."

While Mexico has a few, isolated black communities, the population is dominated by descendants of the country's Spanish colonizers and its native Indians. Comments that would generally be considered openly racist in the United States generate little attention here.

One afternoon television program regularly features a comedian in blackface chasing actresses in skimpy outfits, while an advertisement for a small, chocolate pastry called the "negrito" — the little black man — shows a white boy sprouting an afro as he eats the sweet. Many people hand out nicknames based on skin color.

Victor Hugo Flores, a 30-year-old bond salesman, cringed when asked what he thought of Fox's comment, but said it isn't too different from popular sayings celebrating what Mexicans see as a strong work ethic among blacks.

"It was bad, but it really isn't racist," he said. "Maybe the president shouldn't have said it. But here we say things like, 'He works like a black person,' and it's normal."

106 comments for "May 16 - Mexico's Fox Defends Comment on Blacks"

11 years ago '04        #2
L.E.S|M 
space
space
$5,597 | Props total: 1 1
You know its fu*ked up when the Mexicans are dissin us
 05-16-2005, 05:53 PM         #3
The Sorrow 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Man It sh*t Like Dis That p!ss Me
Da fu*k Off I Mean Im Latino I Look
Mexican I Aint One But Thats Wrong
I Gotta Roll Wit Sumthin Like Dat
On My Chest Man Word
 05-16-2005, 06:07 PM         #4
og_muerto 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol people of color should all be united, the fu*k is up with fox...
 05-16-2005, 06:10 PM         #5
The Sorrow 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
exactly man^^
 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM         #6
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I as an African American was offended by the comments made by Vicente Fox. Anyone black person who didn't take offense to those comments I question your blackness. The beautiful thing about being black is that from a young age we were taught to turn negativity towards us into positivity.
Take it how you want but fu*k Vicente Fox hell no black people dont want to stand on the highway and sell oranges. We are a proud people we dont do "sh*t-work". The only reason they hire your burrito eating a.ss to do work we wont do is because you do it for 1/4 of the fraction we would. If your funky a.ss could your people on your side of the border you wouldn't have to worry about doing "our work" you bi*ch. Go put your sombrero on drink your tequilla and keep doing masonary work for pennies a day.
 11 years ago '04        #7
R. Joven 17 heat pts17
space
space
$5,117 | Props total: 28 28
fu*ka vicente fox

he may not have known he was being "insensitive"

but after people bring that to his attention, he should've apologized, at least
 05-16-2005, 08:02 PM         #8
Zuhaltern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
He needs to fix his country before throwing insults around like that.
 05-16-2005, 08:04 PM         #9
Zuhaltern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
And there needs to be a wall keep them dirty fu*ks out the US they takin advatage of the US and they the ones that is fu*king up social security and making the taxes go up and sh*t.
 11 years ago '04        #10
lexus2807 
space
space
$343 | Props total: 0 0
 48601 said:
I as an African American was offended by the comments made by Vicente Fox. Anyone black person who didn't take offense to those comments I question your blackness. The beautiful thing about being black is that from a young age we were taught to turn negativity towards us into positivity.
Take it how you want but fu*k Vicente Fox hell no black people dont want to stand on the highway and sell oranges. We are a proud people we dont do "sh*t-work". The only reason they hire your burrito eating a.ss to do work we wont do is because you do it for 1/4 of the fraction we would. If your funky a.ss could your people on your side of the border you wouldn't have to worry about doing "our work" you bi*ch. Go put your sombrero on drink your tequilla and keep doing masonary work for pennies a day.

THAT WASNT RACIST? YOUR AS BAD AS HIM
 05-16-2005, 08:19 PM         #11
killa-hurtz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Zuhaltern said:
And there needs to be a wall keep them dirty fu*ks out the US they takin advatage of the US and they the ones that is fu*king up social security and making the taxes go up and sh*t.
how are mexicans workers that pay into that system and don't collect "fu*king social security"?

second, fu*k politicians of any race or color, I don't trust them period
 11 years ago '04        #12
Skilllz 
space
space
$6,709 | Props total: 388 388
 Zuhaltern said:
Retard... wow. fu*king ingorance is a bliss in this forum.
 11 years ago '04        #13
droopy5631 
space
space
space
$401 | Props total: 0 0
man that is some fu*ked up sh*t to say when we have it just as hard as them trying to cross the border. we have our own messed up situation. remember mexicans found there country, we were brought over against our will. secondly, you would think that the mexican government would create jobs for there people instead of people coming to america looking for work. something must be wrong with mexico if every hour someone is trying to get into america. plus if i was an employer i would hire one of them so i don't have to report there wages. if you ask me there the stupid people for working for little of nothing, man fu*k mexico
 11 years ago '04        #14
Skilllz 
space
space
$6,709 | Props total: 388 388
^^^^
Mexicans are people son, they gotta eat. The fu*k you think they are? Subhuman. If you really looked at Latin American countries you would see the situation ain't as good as it is here. That's why so many Latinos wanna come to this country, for a better life. So when they get here they ain't got sh*t to do but little sh*tty paying jobs? Latino's eat too d!ckhead..

Man and I thought whites were the racists ones, heh blacks are just as racists as white people. Crazy.. You'd think Latino's and Black's would unite cuz we both under racism, fu*ked up sh*t. I dare any of y'all black dudes talkin' sh*t about mexicans, go in any ghetto any slum in any Latin Ameircan countries, you'll see you have it good here with Public Housing and welfare.

Ignorance is wack... Think about sh*t.

Last edited by Skilllz; 05-16-2005 at 08:54 PM..
 11 years ago '05        #15
hustlehard365 
space
space
space
$3,067 | Props total: 86 86
what Zuhaltern said i kinda true..president bush wanted to include workers that were here illegally benefits such as social security..but callin them dirty fu*ks isnt cool
 11 years ago '04        #16
djone 
space
space
$1,170 | Props total: 1 1
 Zuhaltern said:
WoW....what a dumb FUK...
 11 years ago '04        #17
Keystone 
space
space
$2,574 | Props total: 31 31
I grew up around Mexicans, so i have alot more respect for them than the average person, but that comment that Fox made was on some bullsh*t...he needs to check himself actin like that. How the fu*k are we supposed to respect them if they don't respect us?
 11 years ago '04        #18
killyoself 
space
space
space
$86 | Props total: 0 0
man we need a wall to keep them mexicans out. all they do is come here. dont pay taxes and reproduce like rabbits. and htey dumb kids drain the schools and take up spots. everywhere u go u see a damn wetback. not only do we need a wall. we need to find the illegal ones and send them back across the border. if they want to come ehre let em do it legally. dont feel sorry for em.
 05-16-2005, 10:04 PM         #19
Zuhaltern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
sorry for the dirty fu*ks comment I am just heated how the mexicans are screwin up the system and makin the taxes go up with going onto welfare and they are the onesin the end that are going to end up taking out social security away. among other things

Last edited by Zuhaltern; 05-16-2005 at 10:11 PM..
 11 years ago '04        #20
Screwhead|m 186 heat pts186
space
space
$14,930 | Props total: 70 70
fu*k VICENTE FOX!!!!!

That big-mouthed bastard needs to fix the problems in his own fu*ked up country before talking sh*t about us. He's been talking sh*t about the US for months now, now he is disrespecting black folks for no good reason. People are illegally coming here for a reason, maybe he should think about that first before running his mouth.

fu*k THAT BASTARD!!!!!

Last edited by Screwhead; 05-16-2005 at 10:13 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside White Booty Meat (1 pic)
45 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside New & What's Leaving Netflix: October 2016
46 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Kurt Angle 'took 65 Vicodin a day' at height of issues
106 comments
1 day ago