Apple's Dangerous MacBook Pro Banned From Flying, Get Ready For Airport Chaos

most viewed right now
+34  116
29 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '16        #1
2109 page views
11 comments

00010111  139 heat pts139
space
space
$5,441 | Props total: 20597 20597
Apple's Dangerous MacBook Pro Banned From Flying, Get Ready For Airport Chaos

Following Apple’s recall of a number of 15-inch MacBook Pro laptops due to concerns over the lithium ion battery and the potential to catch fire, owners of any 15-inch macOS powered laptops face an uncertain and chaotic landscape if they try to fly with them.

First up, a li-on battery fire in the air is a serious business and flying with a damaged battery is risky. That’s why the ban is in place and the FAA has reminded airlines they should not be carried either in cargo or as carry-on. Bloomberg reports:

In a statement, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said it was “aware of the recalled batteries that are used in some Apple MacBook Pro laptops” and stated that it alerted major U.S. airlines about the recall.

The watchdog also reminded airlines to follow 2016 safety instructions for goods with recalled batteries, which means that the affected Apple laptops should not be taken on flights as cargo or in carry-on baggage by passengers

The awkward twist is that this is not a blanket ban on the MacBook Pro 15 inch models purchased between September 2015 and February 2017 years, or even those purchased between those dates which are affected by the recall… strictly speaking it’s the ongoing FAA ban on airlines carrying any lithium-ion battery that has been recalled by any manufacturer of any piece of consumer electronics.

That means if your MacBook Pro is part of the recall but has had a new battery fitted, then it’s good to go and can be taken into the air. Which is where the potential for madness and awkward discussions at the gate can kick in.

While it’s relatively easy to show an airport agent which year your MacBook Pro is from, it’s not going to be as easy to show that the battery has been replaced. General advice would be that if your MacBook Pro is part of the recall and has had the fix, bring a printout of any repair paperwork if you are questioned.

This a*sumes that everyone is calm, sensible, and has time to go through the documentation with your laptop, checking serial numbers against Apple’s recall notice, and acknowledging that you have a new battery not covered by the recall. If you have a busy flight, are backed up in a security line, or you have an official that decides ‘this is a 15-inch MacBook Pro, it’s not going on the aircraft’ there’s very little that you can do.

But there is another danger here, and it is a danger for Apple. I can’t help but look back at the issues around the Galaxy Note 7. That phablet had battery issues that resulted in a number of highly publicised fires on social media and blanket travel bans on airless with Gate Attendants calling out the unit by name before each flight. It compounded the PR issues around the Note 7.

Apple is quietly rolling out the battery replacement program for, in its words, the limited number o affected machines, but this has the potential to become a serious issue for Tim Cook. It just needs one MacBook Pro battery to catch fire and and a video to go viral, and the visual impact will be a modern day millstone.

As to this limited number, how many MacBook Pro machines are affected? Just looking at the US and Canada, this impacts over 480,000 laptops.

visit this link https://www.forbes.com/si .. lying-ban/amp/
+2   

best
worst
11 comments

1 month ago '16        #2
l3altimore7  14 heat pts14
space
space
$1,107 | Props total: 2890 2890
 Droopy said
Microsoft and Google propaganda

+9   

1 month ago '05        #3
Connorz 
space
space
$170 | Props total: 8 8
Just treating it the same as they did with the Galaxy Note 7. Recalled the phone and banned them from flights.
+3   

1 month ago '19        #4
DharmaMartian 
space
space
$19 | Props total: 76 76
In Other News: My Mixtape is now Banned from flights as well
+2   

1 month ago '04        #5
Wizzarino 
space
space
$16,513 | Props total: 5437 5437
 DharmaMartian said
In Other News: My Mixtape is now Banned from flights as well
My beats too...

+4   

1 month ago '16        #6
Manoflife  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$1,058 | Props total: 2747 2747
I guarantee all them Apple fanboys who ridiculed Samsung owners over the Notes tendency to spontaneously combust, will be as quiet as a mouse about this one!

Lesson learned, it happens to the best of them...

Hopefully they sort it out quick enough that nothing serious happens and reimburse if necessary as I know that sh*t cost the owners a small fortune.

1 month ago '04        #7
qutaboi225  72 heat pts72
space
space
$6,548 | Props total: 16760 16760
 l3altimore7 said

+1   

1 month ago '14        #8
Maynard JKeenan  8 heat pts8
space
space
$388 | Props total: 810 810
that's funny I'm at JFK airport now with my sh*t, nobody said sh*t to me
+3   

1 month ago '11        #9
Tooly Da Gawd  33 heat pts33
space
space
$5,821 | Props total: 5460 5460
 Manoflife said
I guarantee all them Apple fanboys who ridiculed Samsung owners over the Notes tendency to spontaneously combust, will be as quiet as a mouse about this one!

Lesson learned, it happens to the best of them...

Hopefully they sort it out quick enough that nothing serious happens and reimburse if necessary as I know that sh*t cost the owners a small fortune.
as you can see, apple fanboys aren't techies, they are often normies who buy whatever they think is cool

The reason anything Samsung makes a huge splash is because techies care about it, because that's what they use.

Your iphone could blow up on prupose every 48 hrs and most people wouldn't know because
#1 iphones really aren't that popular despite public perception.
#2. Tech bloggers and youtubers don 't use iphones for longer than 24 hrs so they would never blow up for them lol

1 month ago '07        #10
AndrewTHEgreaT  20 heat pts20
space
space
$2,235 | Props total: 3000 3000
Damn where do I check to see if mine needs to be recalled?
+1   

4 weeks ago '07        #11
Bullseye  60 heat pts60
space
space
$9,824 | Props total: 3162 3162
 AndrewTHEgreaT said
Damn where do I check to see if mine needs to be recalled?
apple.com

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  28
Sep 17 - Swimmer Disqualified Because School-Issued Swimsuit Broke Modesty Rule
158 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+99online now  23
When u just want your sick ducked....
79 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  17
Video inside DAY 2: 6ix9ine SNITCHING On The Stand Right Now! | Live Updates Inside!
417 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  11
Video inside The fall of Xbox
25 comments
19 hours ago
@games
register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy