online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

StockX Reportedly Hacked With More Than 6 Million Users Affected

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section gear

5 years ago '10        #1
3956 page views
0 comments

pacman45  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 27822 27 K  Slaps total: 905 905
StockX Reportedly Hacked With More Than 6 Million Users Affected

Sneaker marketplace StockX was reportedly hacked, exposing sensitive information of more than 6 million users worldwide according to TechCrunch's Zach Whittaker.

This past Thursday, the Detroit-based reselling platform sent out an e-mail regarding an alleged update to the site's system, urging users to reset their passwords in order to resume use of the service. However, the e-mail did not detail what lead to the update. In a statement issued by a spokesman to TechCrunch, StockX admitted that it had been alerted to suspicious activity involving the platform, but that may not have been the entire story.

According to Whittaker, an unnamed data breach seller contacted TechCrunch claiming that the information of more than 6.8 million users was stolen from StockX back in May. After being provided with a sample of 1,000 records by the seller, TechCrunch contacted the individual customers and provided them with unique information, including their real name, username combination and sh0e size. Every person confirmed their data was accurate. The data is already being sold on the dark web for about $300.

Perhaps compounding the issue is the company's silence on the matter thus far. We reached out to StockX for a comment, but they did not respond. Information Security Analyst Cassie Brunetto tells us why that could be a problem for the company moving forward.

"The longer StockX takes to make a statement, the less credibility they will have," said Brunetto. "I think they handled the disclosure unethically and probably in the worst way possible. I'm curious to know what vulnerability was exploited though, because this could potentially expose holes that were or still are present in their systems and processes. As a consumer, I would be apprehensive about doing business with them going forward because I'm concerned about my data privacy and security."

Last month, StockX was valued at over $1 billion following a $110 million Series C funding round from DST Global, General Atlantic, and GGV Capital.

https://www.complex.com/s .. ign=sneakerstw

I was wondering why I got that email...
+5   

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+524
Video inside Man builds backyard bar to get away from his wife..
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+433
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
69 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+342
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career