Mike Sorensen: "It's time for the NBA to move the 3-point line back to 25 feet or beyond"

most viewed right now
+138  54
92 comments @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

3 months ago '16        #1
4459 page views
77 comments

Supreme God  145 heat pts145
space
space
$6,981   Props total: 31781 31781
Mike Sorensen: "It's time for the NBA to move the 3-point line back to 25 feet or beyond"

SALT LAKE CITY — I’ve been a fan of basketball’s 3-point line ever since the days of the old American Basketball a*sociation, which pioneered its use back in the 1960s and ‘70s when the old Utah Stars played in the league.

In fact, back in high school, my friends and I even organized our own “ABA League” with our own teams and names (I was Mel Daniels of the Indiana Pacers) using a local elementary school as our home court with 8-foot baskets where dunks were plentiful. We also had 3-point baskets, made possible by the lines we spray-painted on the blacktop (sorry about that, Indian Hills Elementary, please forgive us).

It took until 1979, three years after the demise of the ABA, for the NBA to adopt the 3-point line at 23 feet, 9 inches and 22 feet from the corners, and it took quite a while for teams to embrace the new concept. For instance in 1979-80, the first year of the 3-point shot, an average of only three 3-pointers were taken per game and one team, the Atlanta Hawks, averaged less than one try per game. A decade later, the NBA average was only up to seven 3-pointers per game.

An ESPN writer named Kirk Goldsberry has written the book “SprawlBall: A Visual Tour of the New Era of the NBA,” which includes a lot of discussion about the proliferation of 3-point shooting. He shares this astonishing statistic: This past season NBA players made 4,000 more 3-point shots (27,955) than they made during the entire decade of the 1980s (23,871).

In those early years, NBA teams still stuck to the longtime basketball principle of working the ball close to the basket for a shot. By the mid-1990s, the NBA encouraged the long ball by moving the line closer to the basket (22 feet all the way around) over a three-year period before moving it back.

However, thanks in large part to the recent analytics boom that each NBA franchise now employs, 3-point shooting has gone bonkers. It seems simple, but as long as you’re making more than 33.3 percent of your 3-pointers that beats making less than 50 percent of your 2-point shots. This season, every team but one — the Phoenix Suns at 32.9 percent — exceeded that threshold.

The two teams that have exploited the 3-point shot more than any other are the Houston Rockets and the Golden State Warriors. In Saturday night’s Rockets-Warriors game, the two teams combined for 75 3-point attempts among the 188 total shots they put up. While that seems like a lot, it was a pretty average night of 3-point shooting for those two teams. Back in mid-January, the Rockets and Brooklyn Nets combined for a ridiculous 106 3-point attempts, with the Rockets attempting 70 of them, smashing the previous record.

Three-point numbers have really shot up the past five years from around 20 per game per team up to around 34 per team per game.

I remember interviewing Quin Snyder a few years ago about 3-point shooting before the recent surge and him telling me he was OK with more 3-pointers, but wasn’t a fan of players hopping backward behind the line in order to take a 3. Nowadays everyone is going backward to shoot 3-pointers and most coaches are more than happy for their teams to do so. The worst shot is that 22-foot 2-pointer just inside the arc.
I'd support anything that produces slightly less 3 point shooting, and more mid range, post play, or offensive difficulty myself. image

Opinions on this?
+50   

best
worst
77 comments

3 months ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
$19,344   Props total: 41248 41248
Yea especially since they completely ruined spacing with those stupid rule changes in the early 2000s.

But they probably wont do it cause everyone used to cry that bigs were too dominant, especially when Shaq was reigning supreme.
+33   

3 months ago '16        #3
bones2009  40 heat pts40
space
space
$2,601   Props total: 9579 9579
Let's start experimenting with it at all star games or summer league to see how it feels. I'd don't want to see a change like this anytime soon but I know a time will come when the game changes.
+15   

3 months ago '16        #4
mlbnba2016  242 heat pts242
space
space
space
$11,938   Props total: 39247 39247

+18   

3 months ago '07        #5
stogz  20 heat pts20
space
space
$49,181   Props total: 66854 66854
It's a stupid idea.

When dudes started dunking, was anyone screaming for the net to be moved to 11-feet?

Instead of doing all this extra dumb sh*t, how about not paying guys a premium for 3-point shooting? Maybe put an emphasis on TEACHING kids how to play proper defense and then paying great defensive players more, which makes a player having defensive skills a requirement. Or how about outlawing "travelling"? How about not caling a foul on someone everytime a guy on the bench sneezes in the direction of the guy with the ball?

sh*t like this k*lls me. 15yrs ago they was screaming about how players are too big and the court needs to be expanded. Then the players take of it themselves by more guys increasing their range, and now you want to move the 3pt line back so that what? You can clog the lane again? Guys in the lane, you unhappy screaming "change the gme". Guys are outside the lane, you unhappy screaming "change the game". How about just go watch the wnba?
+66   

3 months ago '14        #6
504  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
$13,671   Props total: 63526 63526
Keep it the same as it’s always been or invent a 4 point shot
+20   

3 months ago '17        #7
space
space
 stogz said
It's a stupid idea.

When dudes started dunking, was anyone screaming for the net to be moved to 11-feet?

Instead of doing all this extra dumb sh*t, how about not paying guys a premium for 3-point shooting? Maybe put an emphasis on TEACHING kids how to play proper defense and then paying great defensive players more, which makes a player having defensive skills a requirement. Or how about outlawing "travelling"? How about not caling a foul on someone everytime a guy on the bench sneezes in the direction of the guy with the ball?

sh*t like this k*lls me. 15yrs ago they was screaming about how players are too big and the court needs to be expanded. Then the players take of it themselves by more guys increasing their range, and now you want to move the 3pt line back so that what? You can clog the lane again? Guys in the lane, you unhappy screaming "change the gme". Guys are outside the lane, you unhappy screaming "change the game". How about just go watch the wnba?
Dunking was outlawed for some time to answer your first question.
+16   

3 months ago '07        #8
stogz  20 heat pts20
space
space
$49,181   Props total: 66854 66854
 SPdaGOAT said
Dunking was outlawed for some time to answer your first question.
That doesn't answer my question. It wasn't moved to 11-feet. You couldn't grab the rim, you could still get as close to the rim as you wanted. You could still get over the rim and throw the ball downward.
+2   

3 months ago '05        #9
rawchester  23 heat pts23
space
space
$7,041   Props total: 11065 11065
Don't need to read his article to tell him to shut the fu*k up. When Shaq was pile driving centres through the rim the only talk was about how dominant he was, not a change the rule talk.

I saw Adam silver, personally, spoke to him. Told him that tinkering with the rules to prevent hack a whoever was disrespecting the game. I said verbatim "it's called a free throw for a reason. Don't take the easy way out, let those guys earn their keep". He told me he appreciated my thoughts, kept it moving.

sh*t does not need to move. Only change should potentially be making the corner 3 further because that is the "cheat" but the bucks showed, you can also defend that.. Let the cream rise to the crop....

3 months ago '17        #10
space
space
 stogz said
That doesn't answer my question. It wasn't moved to 11-feet. You couldn't grab the rim, you could still get as close to the rim as you wanted. You could still get over the rim and throw the ball downward.
They didn’t move up the rims because they completely banned it. Like they made it a penalty to dunk the ball. Moving it up to 11 feet is actually better than making it a penalty imo.

And to piggyback off my first point, it was labelled the Lew Alcindor rule lol. The game changed so much to accomodate guards, they can get used to jacking it from 25 feet for 3 points. Most them doing it anyways
+2   

3 months ago '17        #11
space
space
 rawchester said
Don't need to read his article to tell him to shut the fu*k up. When Shaq was pile driving centres through the rim the only talk was about how dominant he was, not a change the rule talk.

I saw Adam silver, personally, spoke to him. Told him that tinkering with the rules to prevent hack a whoever was disrespecting the game. I said verbatim "it's called a free throw for a reason. Don't take the easy way out, let those guys earn their keep". He told me he appreciated my thoughts, kept it moving.

sh*t does not need to move. Only change should potentially be making the corner 3 further because that is the "cheat" but the bucks showed, you can also defend that.. Let the cream rise to the crop....
They changed mad rules cause of Shaq
+7   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 months ago '17        #12
Rule 336  149 heat pts149
space
space
$16,860   Props total: 65300 65300
I'm down for it. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this

Top 10 most propped recently  3 months ago '17        #13
Rule 336  149 heat pts149
space
space
$16,860   Props total: 65300 65300
 rawchester said

You trolling fam? Hella rules were changed cause of Shaq.
+5   

3 months ago '17        #14
space
space
 Rule 336 said
I'm down for it. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this
Me either honestly
+3   

3 months ago '17        #15
tu calmas  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$5,171   Props total: 18014 18014
dudes are still gonna shoot from deep, the scores will just be lower

people shoot from deep to stretch the defense out and it'll always be mathematically more effective to go for 3, even if you're shooting at a mediocre clip

would be a lateral rule change

Last edited by tu calmas; 07-21-2019 at 05:30 PM..
+4   

3 months ago '09        #16
GREAT1NE  4 heat pts4
space
space
$2,363   Props total: 3171 3171
 504 said
Keep it the same as it’s always been or invent a 4 point shot
It use to not exist at all and it was also moved in in the 90’s for a short bit. Its not a bad idea, players have become so efficient at it

3 months ago '05        #17
Panopticon  61 heat pts61
space
space
$27,342   Props total: 17145 17145
I think this is going to have to be behavioral. I think Kawhi k*llin the midrange has already begun to change things. I don't have actual data for summer league, just the eye test, but I did see a good amount of elbow jumpers from guys like Coby and Carsen.

I sure hope it happens sooner than later cause I'm fu*kin tired of running the break and having a 3-on-1 and my guys drift out to the fu*kin three point line and jack up a bullsh*t shot instead of just heading for the rim and getting the pass for an easy score. Everybody wanna shoot threes now. Guys have even backed off semi-contested layups to try to side-hop into a three. It's just stupid.

The game changes but that part of it should always be there. Moving the line again shouldn't happen. Hopefully teams will use the midrange and the teams jacking up 3s will take losses, and then stop listening to these fu*kin stats nerds who never actually play the damn game, who think you either dunk it or shoot a 3.

I know my eye test was wrong for one of those summer league games, I think it was NY and somebody, but the teams were something like a combined 4-34 shooting threes by the end of the 3rd quarter. It was legendarily bad
+3   

3 months ago '06        #18
marcusaka50  62 heat pts62
space
space
space
$33,713   Props total: 16476 16476
Not trying to have a old school mindset..but I'm against this...people or casual fans and the media is making the 3 pointer shooting a big deal...its phase to me until I see players shooting the 3pt shot like curry,klay,reggie miller,ray allen..most players cant shoot 3s at superstar rate...no need to change sh*t
+6   

3 months ago '05        #19
youngt22  104 heat pts104
space
space
$3,445   Props total: 2814 2814
This guys is dumb as hell for this suggestion
+2   

3 months ago '11        #20
GrindPOWER$  503 heat pts503
space
space
$25,420   Props total: 33839 33839
just have a 4 pointer so we can have 200 point games...curry and klay would go haywire...i think ray allen would comeback

3 months ago '09        #21
ahmadou1  50 heat pts50
space
space
$14,054   Props total: 30020 30020
Golden state isn't in the top 5 in 3s taken per game... they are the highest volume mid range shooting team in basketball.
Great players will always have levels to their games.
The 2 highest scorers in the playoffs this year were Kawhi and KD.. Both of them were surgical out that midrange.
+5   

3 months ago '16        #22
Yaggy  7 heat pts7
space
space
$3,216   Props total: 4731 4731
 bones2009 said
Let's start experimenting with it at all star games or summer league to see how it feels. I'd don't want to see a change like this anytime soon but I know a time will come when the game changes.

3 months ago '18        #23
Dnyce215 
space
space
$615   Props total: 1789 1789
Bring back the hand checking
+15   

3 months ago '17        #24
Cronion2415 
space
space
$682   Props total: 2058 2058
They should just create a 4 point shot and get it over with imo.
+3   

3 months ago '14        #25
Gordon Gartrell  3 heat pts3
space
space
$11,998   Props total: 42006 42006
 rawchester said
didn't they start allowing zone defense because of how dominant shaq was?

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-52online now  18
Image(s) inside What did the Egyptian slaves use to build this
302 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  17
Image(s) inside IRON FIST'S Jessica Henwick Cast as 'female-like Neo character' to lea..
55 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  16
Video inside PS5 Backwards Compatibility (not what you think) Shraggy!?!
32 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  9
Video inside Apple Head Gina has her own talk show
31 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy