Jul 16 - NYC landlords claim rent laws are unconstitutional: lawsuit

most viewed right now
50 comments @wild'ish
most viewed right now
38 comments @hiphop

section    |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX Daily Bugle

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '11        #1
2426 page views
58 comments

Sin 2213 heat pts2213
space
space
$33,007 | Props total: 102371 102371
Jul 16 - NYC landlords claim rent laws are unconstitutional: lawsuit

After a bruising defeat at the statehouse, New York City landlords took their f*ght against the state’s newly toughened pro-tenant rents laws to federal court in Brooklyn, where they alleged the regulations amount to an unconstitutional property grab.

The lawsuit — filed late Monday by two landlord-linked groups and seven property owners — is the latest legal a*sault against the state’s decades-old rent laws, which have survived previous court challenges.

“Even before the draconian effects of the 2019 amendments, the New York Rent stabilization Law was antiquated, inefficient and unlawful,” claimed Jay Martin, the executive director of Community Housing Improvement Program, which represents landlords that own smaller buildings and is a plaintiff. “It does not promote socio-economic or racial diversity and in fact, it does not in any way target its relief to low-income populations.”

The 125-page lawsuit targets the state’s rent stabilization law, which covers nearly 1 million New York City apartments — roughly a third of all housing in the five boroughs.

It alleges the rent stabilization law violates the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments of the US Constitution.

The US Supreme Court refused to hear a similar challenge back in 2012 after the US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit backed the state and upheld the rent laws against a challenge from two Manhattan landlords, James and Jeanne Harmon.

“We knew this was coming, they said this a month ago after the law was signed,” said Michael McKee, a longtime tenants activist and treasurer at Tenants PAC. “This is not a surprise, they have sued many times in the past.”

He added: “They’ve lost every single time.”

Under the law, rents hikes are set by the Rent Guidelines Board annually and tenants have additional protections against evictions.

Rent board hikes are often less than increases on the open market, meaning that stabilized apartments bring in less income for landlords than they would fetch with market rate prices, an arrangement that has frustrated property owners for decades.

The lawsuit comes a month after state lawmakers passed a sweeping overhaul of the rent stabilization system long sought by tenant activists.

That package closed several legal avenues landlords used to deregulate apartments and charge market rate rents and put in new restrictions on rent hikes to pay for building repairs, reversing policies that allowed 290,000 apartments to leave rent stabilization.

visit this link https://nypost.com/2019/0 .. ional-lawsuit/
+4   

best
worst
58 comments

1 month ago '16        #2
OWPE 109 heat pts109
space
space
$6,675 | Props total: 17204 17204
New York is one of the worst places to own property. If a tenant doesnt pay their rent, you could be stuck paying your mortgage/taxes other bills for many months before you can get rid of them. If its winter time, a judge could say you can evict, but not today because its too cold outside.

1 month ago '17        #3
Ifeellikekobe 114 heat pts114
space
space
$8,446 | Props total: 37075 37075

two landlord-linked groups and seven property owners

I would like to know the break down on these groups and the properties they own.
+14   

1 month ago '12        #4
OldBusiness 183 heat pts183
space
space
$31,818 | Props total: 61546 61546
 OWPE said
New York is one of the worst places to own property. If a tenant doesnt pay their rent, you could be stuck paying your mortgage/taxes other bills for many months before you can get rid of them. If its winter time, a judge could say you can evict, but not today because its too cold outside.

Most states dont allow people to evict you during inclement weather dumbass. Problem is alot of people violate their tenants rights or treat them like they arent human(kinda like how you treat people of color). I own properties in GA, we arent going to evict you if its to cold, raining, or anything like that.

Evictions are not done in inclement weather. The Sheriff’s Office will contact the plaintiff or plaintiff’s agent if the eviction is to be canceled. Rescheduling can be handled at the time of the cancellation notice. Rescheduling an eviction due to inclement weather will not result in another $25 service fee.
+18   

1 month ago '19        #5
Bucks414 38 heat pts38
space
space
$1,047 | Props total: 2691 2691
I support tenants rights more than I do the greed of property owners
+30   

1 month ago '13        #6
North!!! 455 heat pts455
space
space
$62,952 | Props total: 58602 58602
damn want to be a landlord in the future

when I stack up maybe get a few in nyc

might start out in like PA or NJ tho

from what I hear the tenant laws not fair for landlords

the eviction process crazy...
+2   

1 month ago '19        #7
Bucks414 38 heat pts38
space
space
$1,047 | Props total: 2691 2691
 North!!! said
damn want to be a landlord in the future

when I stack up maybe get a few in nyc

might start out in like PA or NJ tho

from what I hear the tenant laws not fair for landlords

the eviction process crazy...
i plan to own houses / duplex near major colleges in my state like madison and milwaukee, you can rent them out for cheaper than dorms and still make market price or more and they will always be rented

a friend of mine does this and he quit his job cause the income from property was enough for him to just do that
+5   

1 month ago '12        #8
Ragobeer 63 heat pts63
space
space
space
$2,485 | Props total: 5104 5104
Getting rid of squatters is one of the most frustrating things to deal with. It's literally dealing with someone you wanna beat the sh*t out of but can't because they will end up being stuck with you for life.
+14   

1 month ago '04        #9
xbossxplayax 
space
space
$6,356 | Props total: 4789 4789
nothing more than free market interruption. if u think $4k a month for a 250 sq ft match box, dont live there. if everyone else feels the same way, the rent will go down. that should be the only way the rent should go down or plateaued - diminishing demand

but the politicians need the votes of the roaches so....

1 month ago '09        #10
Zaosyn 267 heat pts267
space
space
$15,755 | Props total: 4935 4935
How come the rats get to live in the apartments rent free in new York
+2   

1 month ago '04        #11
Twotwenty 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,876 | Props total: 4758 4758
 OldBusiness said
Most states dont allow people to evict you during inclement weather dumbass. Problem is alot of people violate their tenants rights or treat them like they arent human(kinda like how you treat people of color). I own properties in GA, we arent going to evict you if its to cold, raining, or anything like that.
But thats not what he talking about. He's talking about when its cold outside not just a day. So you will have to wait until the weather warms up. My grandparents owned property in NY and its hell. Tenant kept breaking the appliances and was using that as an excuse to not pay rent. Hell even look at what Emily Ratajkowski and her husband was doing
+5   

1 month ago '04        #12
C.R.I.P. 4 heat pts
space
space
$19,838 | Props total: 11284 11284
Good for the tenants. Always will side with the people.
+1   

1 month ago '17        #13
LarryFresh 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,042 | Props total: 2773 2773
Came in looking for the pink haired girl in the thumbnail
+11   

1 month ago '04        #14
sideshow20 19 heat pts19
space
space
$9,875 | Props total: 993 993
I've heard you gotta make at least 70 times your salary to live in New York? Can someone confirm this for me? Because if true that sh*t wild as fu*k

1 month ago '16        #15
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
$2,284 | Props total: 2883 2883
 OWPE said

New York property owners almost never have to worry about depreciation. How is it one of the worst places to own, because you can't treat tenants like scum?

You off the people or against the people?

xbossxplayax said
nothing more than free market interruption. if u think $4k a month for a 250 sq ft match box, dont live there. if everyone else feels the same way, the rent will go down. that should be the only way the rent should go down or plateaued - diminishing demand

It wont because of wealth inequality. You think serfs wanted to be serfs?
+1   

1 month ago '16        #16
OWPE 109 heat pts109
space
space
 OldBusiness said
I own property in Florida and you can get rid of a tenant in about a week if they don't respond to the lawsuit with a valid reason. But even if they respond, the process is quick and usually they are evicted around 30 days. In New York, its not possible to get rid of a tenant in 30 days, even during the summer (no weather excuse). Same as California, laws are anti landlord, which is why its silly to own property there.

I don't treat anybody bad, but some people cant pay and when they cant pay, you as a landlord have to cover the bills even though they are still living in your property. Your mortgage lender doesn't care if "the tenant didnt pay this month" if you don't pay your mortgage you lose the property. If its cold outside and i don't pay my mortgage, I still lose my property, but a tenant doesn't have to be evicted for not paying? You think that makes sense?

And as far as those rent prices go, new york is also a bad state to be in. Imagine owning a property and not being able to charge what you want for it. Meanwhile, the city/state can raise your property tax by as much as they want each year, but you can't adjust your rent to cover it? Doesn't sound like you own property in New York, sounds like you renting to the cities corrupt government officials. Thats why its silly to be a landlord in New York.

Last edited by OWPE; 07-16-2019 at 10:33 PM..
+4   

1 month ago '16        #17
OWPE 109 heat pts109
space
space
 Eastcoast said
New York property owners almost never have to worry about depreciation.
Just stop right there. I know you have no knowledge of how owning property works with an ignorant statement like that.

+2   

1 month ago '18        #18
Sick Flair 1 heat pts
space
space
$646 | Props total: 2180 2180
Good, fu*k them blood suckers. There needs to be a regulation on Sqft. vs Rent. sh*ts ridiculous where you can charge 1k per 100 sqft. fu*k them land lords.
+2   

1 month ago '10        #19
killinemsoftly 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,953 | Props total: 2755 2755
 xbossxplayax said

Shelter is a necessity. How do you decrease the demand for a necessity? Free Market isn’t more important than basic human necessities.

1 month ago '15        #20
brothaman87 
space
space
$295 | Props total: 468 468
 sideshow20 said
I've heard you gotta make at least 70 times your salary to live in New York? Can someone confirm this for me? Because if true that sh*t wild as fu*k
Gotta make 26 times the rent for the apartment you are looking to rent.
+2   

1 month ago '07        #21
yolaboy 201 heat pts201
space
space
$6,259 | Props total: 14227 14227
lazy predators exploiting people for shelter now crying about rights

1 month ago '08        #22
flav 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,719 | Props total: 9030 9030
 OldBusiness said
O word? many properties, noice

I own 1 property for now (5 tenants) but one of them is one of the most passive-aggressive people i've ever encountered

gave him too many chances, he's gotta go. However I want to make his transition out feasible (aka he finds a new place etc etc..) as opposed to just throw him outside

how do you go about that? Do you try to mediate it for as much as possible or do you immediately involve 3rd parties?
+3   

1 month ago '04        #23
bicedidit 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,327 | Props total: 1297 1297
I'm a process server and I serve eviction notices in any weather. And I live in NY
+1   

1 month ago '12        #24
space
space
 OWPE said
I own property in Florida and you can get rid of a tenant in about a week if they don't respond to the lawsuit with a valid reason. But even if they respond, the process is quick and usually they are evicted around 30 days. In New York, its not possible to get rid of a tenant in 30 days, even during the summer (no weather excuse). Same as California, laws are anti landlord, which is why its silly to own property there.

I don't treat anybody bad, but some people cant pay and when they cant pay, you as a landlord have to cover the bills even though they are still living in your property. Your mortgage lender doesn't care if "the tenant didnt pay this month" if you don't pay your mortgage you lose the property. If its cold outside and i don't pay my mortgage, I still lose my property, but a tenant doesn't have to be evicted for not paying? You think that makes sense?

And as far as those rent prices go, new york is also a bad state to be in. Imagine owning a property and not being able to charge what you want for it. Meanwhile, the city/state can raise your property tax by as much as they want each year, but you can't adjust your rent to cover it? Doesn't sound like you own property in New York, sounds like you renting to the cities corrupt government officials. Thats why its silly to be a landlord in New York.

No you dont youre trolling and lying
+2   

1 month ago '12        #25
space
space
 flav said
O word? many properties, noice

I own 1 property for now (5 tenants) but one of them is one of the most passive-aggressive people i've ever encountered

gave him too many chances, he's gotta go. However I want to make his transition out feasible (aka he finds a new place etc etc..) as opposed to just throw him outside

how do you go about that? Do you try to mediate it for as much as possible or do you immediately involve 3rd parties?
4 homes.

And I suggest you follow the law in your respective state. Anything else opens you up to lawsuits
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+61online now  24
Video inside Bride begs her newly groom for forgiveness after being caught kissing h..
134 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+64online now  9
New little brother album at midnight!
171 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+22online now  7
TraxNYC and Ben Baller beefin (Jewerlly n****s)
123 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  4
Video inside I will CashApp💰 you $100💸 if you Can Translate This
22 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy