This is why the new NaS track is dope (audio "proof")

most viewed right now
89 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '18        #1
1469 page views
45 comments

brooklynzfinest 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$2,649 | Props total: 7660 7660
This is why the new NaS track is dope (audio "proof")

First listen, I'm like wtf is this sh*t...I'm a stan, but if it doesn't connect to my ears, it just doesn't...and this didn't hit at first.

But he called it Al Jarreau of rap, so I'm like he has to be doing his version of another song, so then I googled a couple things and found Al's ill sh*t...sh*t is dope with the skat vocal approach and the lyrics (feel free to look it up). The ending was fire too:

Then I see that Dave Brubeck did the original and that Al was doing the remix. If you're a jazz fan, you know Dave Brubeck...and his original is also fu*king ill:

Now, this ain't no 'classic, down to the sample' type of song. I think it's a good song that will lose replay value--as are most experimental songs. Totally see why he'd leave this off a retail album, but include it someplace like here. I don't think he should have led with an experimental song if you're trying to garner anticipation, but ain't my call. People are talking about the "beat," but that's because we expect a hip hop beat and he came with jazz rhythm. As someone whose music roots is jazz, it's pretty dope to see him pay homage...just like Al was paying homage. Student of the culture and the original tracks make me appreciate this new joint. As NaS said in the opening lines:

Everybody's not gonna get you, but keep going...

then later

Evolution of a man and his music

[This is a discussion/feedback topic only]
+28   

best
worst
45 comments

1 week ago '16        #2
mlbnba2016 221 heat pts221
space
space
$10,876 | Props total: 34729 34729
I like it, Nas released it first so he can put some doubt out there, then when LT2 gets released, mind's are blown
+10   

1 week ago '18        #3
brooklynzfinest 10 heat pts10 OP
space
space
space
 mlbnba2016 said
I like it, Nas released it first so he can put some doubt out there, then when LT2 gets released, mind's are blown
on the real, from I saw the track list, I figured that this had to be a jazzy track. Just didn't peg it for a 'teaser' song..

I mean if n*ggas think Pete Rock, Alchemist, RZA, and 'em are gonna sound anything like this, then they're bugging...
+3   

1 week ago '16        #4
mlbnba2016 221 heat pts221
space
space
$10,876 | Props total: 34729 34729
 brooklynzfinest said
on the real, from I saw the track list, I figured that this had to be a jazzy track. Just didn't peg it for a 'teaser' song..

I mean if n*ggas think Pete Rock, Alchemist, RZA, and 'em are gonna sound anything like this, then they're bugging...
Had a feeling this was gonna be one of the weaker tracks when the tracklist dropped
+1   

1 week ago '18        #5
Pastor Ra 78 heat pts78
space
space
$3,290 | Props total: 10566 10566
 brooklynzfinest said
First listen, I'm like wtf is this sh*t...I'm a stan, but if it doesn't connect to my ears, it just doesn't...and this didn't hit at first.

But he called it Al Jarreau of rap, so I'm like he has to be doing his version of another song, so then I googled a couple things and found Al's ill sh*t...sh*t is dope with the skat vocal approach and the lyrics (feel free to look it up). The ending was fire too:

Then I see that Dave Brubeck did the original and that Al was doing the remix. If you're a jazz fan, you know Dave Brubeck...and his original is also fu*king ill:

Now, this ain't no 'classic, down to the sample' type of song. I think it's a good song that will lose replay value--as are most experimental songs. Totally see why he'd leave this off a retail album, but include it someplace like here. I don't think he should have led with an experimental song if you're trying to garner anticipation, but ain't my call. People are talking about the "beat," but that's because we expect a hip hop beat and he came with jazz rhythm. As someone whose music roots is jazz, it's pretty dope to see him pay homage...just like Al was paying homage. Student of the culture and the original tracks make me appreciate this new joint. As NaS said in the opening lines:

Everybody's not gonna get you, but keep going...

then later

Evolution of a man and his music

OP, you're only explaining this to idiots that don't know the meaning of the song and sample. This song is fu*kin crazy.
+9   

1 week ago '13        #6
Taree 10 heat pts10
space
space
$10,973 | Props total: 23721 23721
+2   

1 week ago '18        #7
space
space
space
 Pastor Ra said
OP, you're only explaining this to idiots that don't know the meaning of the song and sample. This song is fu*kin crazy.
maybe.

I could see someone being a good music fan and still not fu*king with it for w/e reason though. So I'm just pointing out to some folks that it's not like nas 'picked' this "beat" to rhyme over. But rather it was some intentional musical/rap experiment...the same way Al experimented by adding skat vocals over Brubeck's instrumental piece...making nas "the Al Jarreau of rap"...

sh*t is clever. The song is dope to me, but the concept is even doper.

Like someone said in another thread, it's like "who k*lled it"....clever and perhaps a masterpiece even, but after a while, not that sh*t u play over and over..
+3   

1 week ago '14        #8
Vladimir Levin 36 heat pts36
space
space
$9,747 | Props total: 6862 6862
Well you explained why it sounds the way it does but that still don’t make it ”dope”, to me at least

I hope the rest sounds nothing like this cause after that last year project idk if I can take much more disappointment from Gods son

Edit: googled it it was called Nasir
+6   

1 week ago '16        #9
Boogie1790 9 heat pts
space
space
$7,975 | Props total: 19671 19671
That sh*t kinda brah specially with the baseline

1 week ago '10        #10
ARosary 53 heat pts53
space
space
$11,808 | Props total: 6803 6803
I'm a jazz head so this track was an auto like soon as I was a minute in last night
+4   

1 week ago '15        #11
Mystic 317 heat pts317
space
space
space
$12,780 | Props total: 25786 25786
fu*k you mean OP, this is classic down to the sample. It's hip-hop in it's purest form
+1   

1 week ago '05        #12
JimDinO77 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,038 | Props total: 13704 13704
its like a beautiful sculpture made out of fecal matter ... the craftmenship is dope but it still stinks... is this what u want the album to sound like? This is unacceptable

1 week ago '18        #13
space
space
space
 Vladimir Levin said
Well you explained why it sounds the way it does but that still don’t make it ”dope”, to me at least

I hope the rest sounds nothing like this cause after that last year project idk if I can take much more disappointment from Gods son

Edit: googled it it was called Nasir
yup, totally get it.

This thread is more informational and less persuasion lol

1 week ago '16        #14
Ravishing 65 heat pts65
space
space
$4,018 | Props total: 8370 8370

1 week ago '18        #15
space
space
space
 JimDinO77 said
its like a beautiful sculpture made out of fecal matter ... the craftmenship is dope but it still stinks... is this what u want the album to sound like? This is unacceptable
lol, not the analogy I'd use, but if that's your opinion cool.

Of course I don't want the "album" to all sound like this....and how could it with the producers on it? U ever hear them make sh*t like this before? naw...

When the sh*t said produced by "Eddie Cole"...and it was called skatt attack, you had to know that it ain't gonna sound regular... Just reminding you of the tracklist so u don't catch a heart attack!

1. No Bad Energy [PROD. BY SWIZZ BEATZ]
2. Vernon Family [PROD. BY PHARRELL WILLIAMS]
3. Jarreau of Rap (Skatt Attack) feat. Al Jarreau, Keyon Harrold [PROD. BY EDDIE COLE]
4. Lost Freestyle [PROD. BY STATIK SELEKTAH]
5. Tanasia [PROD. BY RZA]
6. Royalty feat. RaVaughn [PROD. BY HIT-BOY]
7. Who Are You feat. David Ranier [PROD. BY ERIC HUDSON]
8. Adult Film feat. Swizz Beatz [PROD. BY SWIZZ BEATZ]
9. War Against Love [PROD. BY DJ DAHI & DJ KHALIL]
10. The Art of It feat. J. Myers [PROD. BY PETE ROCK]
11. Highly Favored [PROD. BY RZA]
12. Queens Wolf [PROD. BY DJ TOOMP]
13. It Never Ends [PROD. BY THE ALCHEMIST]
14. You Mean The World to Me [PROD. BY KANYE WEST]
15. Queens Bridge Politics [PROD. BY PETE ROCK]
16. Beautiful Life feat. RaVaughn [PROD. BY NO I.D.]
+3   

1 week ago '05        #16
heveweight 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$553 | Props total: 373 373
At first I was like ...nah. Then I heard the original ...then I revisited..Nas is king!
+1   

1 week ago '05        #17
SlickNick 
space
space
$1,956 | Props total: 1049 1049
i mean...IMO its aight....but its Nas doing Nas sh*t...
+2   

1 week ago '15        #18
Hellmatic 3 heat pts
space
space
$22,353 | Props total: 32937 32937
The jazz song is a classic, the sample shoulda been chopped in a different way or something instead of looped. It just don't go together
+1   

1 week ago '05        #19
JimDinO77 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,038 | Props total: 13704 13704
 brooklynzfinest said
lol, not the analogy I'd use, but if that's your opinion cool.

Of course I don't want the "album" to all sound like this....and how could it with the producers on it? U ever hear them make sh*t like this before? naw...

When the sh*t said produced by "Eddie Cole"...and it was called skatt attack, you had to know that it ain't gonna sound regular... Just reminding you of the tracklist so u don't catch a heart attack!

1. No Bad Energy [PROD. BY SWIZZ BEATZ]
2. Vernon Family [PROD. BY PHARRELL WILLIAMS]
3. Jarreau of Rap (Skatt Attack) feat. Al Jarreau, Keyon Harrold [PROD. BY EDDIE COLE]
4. Lost Freestyle [PROD. BY STATIK SELEKTAH]
5. Tanasia [PROD. BY RZA]
6. Royalty feat. RaVaughn [PROD. BY HIT-BOY]
7. Who Are You feat. David Ranier [PROD. BY ERIC HUDSON]
8. Adult Film feat. Swizz Beatz [PROD. BY SWIZZ BEATZ]
9. War Against Love [PROD. BY DJ DAHI & DJ KHALIL]
10. The Art of It feat. J. Myers [PROD. BY PETE ROCK]
11. Highly Favored [PROD. BY RZA]
12. Queens Wolf [PROD. BY DJ TOOMP]
13. It Never Ends [PROD. BY THE ALCHEMIST]
14. You Mean The World to Me [PROD. BY KANYE WEST]
15. Queens Bridge Politics [PROD. BY PETE ROCK]
16. Beautiful Life feat. RaVaughn [PROD. BY NO I.D.]

I fu*k with jazz.... thats not my taste how they flipped it tho....

its cool for him showing appreciation to that song if that's his wave ....... but its one of those tracks that will stay off the Nas playlist
+1   

1 week ago '11        #20
Sinamatik CFR 13 heat pts13
space
space
$14,598 | Props total: 18412 18412
grew up to his music as young pre-double digit kid in the 80's... Al Jerrau is a legend, one of many of the unmentioned's. I hope more people really go back just to admire and appreciate the evolution of music and the place it plays in HipHop today!!!
+3   

1 week ago '18        #21
space
space
space
 Sinamatik CFR said
grew up to his music as young pre-double digit kid in the 80's... Al Jerrau is a legend, one of many of the unmentioned's. I hope more people really go back just to admire and appreciate the evolution of music and the place it plays in HipHop today!!!
yeah, that last sentence is really the point of this thread...

nas is good for making a n*gga go look some sh*t up and learn something new.

Al's track is best out the three for my taste because of the original creative flip adding the vocals + it was just so well executed to me.
+1   

1 week ago '10        #22
MrNetw0rk 
space
space
space
$248 | Props total: 503 503
Wow, this song scream's Hip-Hop thanks op didn't know it dropped till i came in here. Listening now sh*t is a musical symphony in my ears
+1   

1 week ago '06        #23
1-MC 
space
space
$1,396 | Props total: 622 622
I'm pissed that he called this, "The Lost Tapes 2" when it's all new material
Why?! If anything, he should've dropped The Lost Tapes 2 with unreleased tracks during the "I Am...Nastradamus" era. Why not name it something else? And sh*t, he still no Preemo
Come on, Nas. I'm a stan, but I'm disappointed.
+1   

1 week ago '04        #24
octane 
space
space
$5,229 | Props total: 2931 2931
if they fix the breaks between his 2 verses and not let the beat ride out so long, it would have worked better. Its not as bad as what i heard people say on here. fu*k boy Vlad would have a field day on this.
+1   

1 week ago '11        #25
Sinamatik CFR 13 heat pts13
space
space
$14,598 | Props total: 18412 18412
 1-MC said
I'm pissed that he called this, "The Lost Tapes 2" when it's all new material
Why?! If anything, he should've dropped The Lost Tapes 2 with unreleased tracks during the "I Am...Nastradamus" era. Why not name it something else? And sh*t, he still no Preemo
Come on, Nas. I'm a stan, but I'm disappointed.
lost tapes qualifies... i think it is some dated tracks on there that he never dropped, and a lot of it is the sh*t that was supposed to be "Nasir" before Ye hijacked it, lol!
+1   

Home      

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  28
Son, What The F*ck?!
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  15
Every Console In One Box